Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

carry on then posted:

when does this happen
:confused: it does happen with play/pause but thats good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

but apple juice is stored in the balls

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Please do not engage a stymie.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

I wonder if Tesla will issue another creepy press release with every detail about what where and how the car was driven before it caught on fire.
what else are you supposed to do when faced when the totally loving absurd scenario of media scrutiny every single time something goes wrong with one of the cars while vehicles from literally every other manufacturer fail kill and maim at much higher rates

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

like it was headline news on nyt when that dude died after CRAWLING INTO THE BACK SEAT while autopilot was running. the same day, toyota admitted its airbags had killed dozens of people by exploding metal shards everywhere and it was barely a footnote. this poo poo is 100% driven by a very expensive public affairs effort by oil and gas and traditional carmakers, and the media and tech people are eating that poo poo straight from their rear end in a top hat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

musk is a weird douche but you are out of your goddamn mind if you think tesla is a bad thing and their products dont rule

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

remember when sprint? was it sprint or tmobile had those flip phones with teh walkie talkie mode and it did that BEEP BEEP BEEP thing and was super annoying?
nextel baby

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hold up gotta post about bad reliability, bad ui design, draconian repair and access policies, and misleading marketing in apple thread

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

oh hey alright awright alright it looks like we've got a Muskovite in here who doesn't quite understand that tesla is a Company of Contrasts so i guess it's time again for my patent-pending Tesla Explanation to hopefully set things straight

- tesla's electric powertrain is the best thing they have going for them. it is best in class, in terms of power, range, charging, charger availability, and pretty much everything else about it. their cars are the closest to being an actual gas car replacement in that sense (though you do pay for it). it's genuinely impressive that they can make a 5000 pound sedan the fastest production car in the quarter mile ever made even if that does basically just entail setting motor_current_limit *= 1.5; their supercharger stations are the best EV charging technology out there and it's quite nice that they open-sourced their patents on it, although lol that any other company might start using them because then they're tied to tesla forever. it was a nice thought though. (A)

- tesla's exterior industrial design is pretty good. the roadster is basically a lotus elise so that's solid. the model s is a reasonable looking large sedan that doesn't do anything flashy but it has good lines (the facelifted version being better than the older one with the big plastic oval "grille"). the model x is literally just a vertically stretched model s with gimmicky doors and is not a very pretty car, but it's still better looking than most other comparably sized suvs (e.g. bmw x5, audi q5, etc). the model 3, which appears to represent their current direction, is a goofy looking car that screams "i am electric" and they're trying an unusual design language that i personally think is immature but a good stab at what an electric car could look like, since we're no longer beholden to putting cooling vents in the nose. the the-matrix-neo-mouth-melts.jpg look is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's relatively clean, it isn't trying too hard, and most importantly it isn't a ~BIG SCARY FACE~ like loving every other new car on the road today so i like that they aren't playing into that idiotic psychology where people want their cars to look like trains. it seems like they have some decent exterior stylists so i'm kinda interested to see where they go with it. (B+)

- tesla's interior industrial design is very average to somewhat weak. they have, like most tech companies, misunderstood "minimalism" entirely and instead made something antiseptic and unrefined. the materials chosen are mediocre and the forms are unimaginary. they get away with having an interior at least an entire class below their price point because tech-heads are dumbasses who wouldn't know luxury materials if they were smacked in the face with a vicuña-wool throw pillow. that said, it's fine, and does the job, just as using the same materials and design cues does the job in a $9999 kia whatchamacallit. (C)

- tesla's user interface design is awful. they've thrown out eighty goddamned years of ergonomic and anthropometric research data, statistically validated with the lives of thousands of ww2 fighter pilots, locomotive engineers, factory operators, and other victims of the human-machine interface, in favor of ~touchscreens~ UwU because touchscreens are what's on an iphone!! it is ridiculous that they insist on doing things this way when it's absolutely loving obvious to any talented UX designer that it's the wrong choice. i could detail exactly what is wrong with every part of the designs they're shipping, from the lack of proprioceptive targets to the total elimination of kinesthetic task training, but i think that most people who aren't enormous loving moron dorks ~technology enthusiasts~ can recognize why it's fundamentally stupid control the air conditioning or radio volume in your car by dragging on a touchscreen so i'll just cut it short and say (D)

- tesla's driver assistance features ("autopilot"), and more specifically the advertising and messaging around the systems, are criminally misleading and negligent. they have the exact same technology as any other high-end (and not-so-high-end; i believe you can get this stuff on a Honda Accord now) car on the road today. distance-sensing cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, and a few cute tricks like "summon"ing your car out of the garage. this is NHTSA level 2 autonomy, which requires constant driver attention to the road, as there is no guarantee that the system can warn of an upcoming emergency with enough time to transition to human control (that handling of the transitional period is the distinction between level 2 and 3, by the way). every other car manufacturer sells the system as what it is: the bigger better cruise control, but you're still driving. tesla's own goddamned ads show people driving with their hands off the wheel with tiny footnotes saying that you can't do that in real life. they claim they're at level 3 autonomy when by the NHTSA's own unambiguous definition they are not. they call the system "autopilot" to make people draw conclusions that they shouldn't. they say that their cars are safer in autopilot than a human driver when they demonstrably are not. they claim their cars all have the hardware for level 4 (fully autonomous driving, program a destination and go to sleep) and it's just a software update away which is completely loving insane.
yes

Sagebrush posted:

- tesla's mechanical reliability is reportedly pretty bad. while they guard their statistics like crazy, and even have demanded that owners sign NDAs prior to agreeing to perform warranty work, the indications are that they're certainly not hitting the marks for comparably-priced vehicles and in fact break significantly more often than even a cheap entry-level ford or chevy or whatever. this is in spite of the cars having vastly fewer moving parts than a gas vehicle, a point about which tesla likes to brag. we've recently seen/heard about things like collapsed suspension control arms, punctured battery packs reportedly repaired with epoxy and tape, repeated failures of major driveline components, and dozens of smaller issues like doors that won't close properly or backup cameras that just go black or trim pieces that fall off in the wind. i'd also include general fit and finish in this category; panel gaps (an indication of manufacturing precision) are on the level of a '90s hyundai or a malaise-era GM product, an order of magnitude worse than the traditional luxury marques. like the interior design, tesla gets away with this because the people buying them are mostly dorks who only drove mom's '95 corolla until they were hired at Google, but as they become more mainstream the automotive press' long-term reliability scores are beginning to reflect the problems. it's not impossible for them to fix this stuff, and some of it probably genuinely is just growing pains, but it is going to take more of a measured approach than ol' musky reportedly insists upon. it took all the other marques literal decades to figure it out and just being ~a disruptive tech company~ absolutely does not make them able to solve basic mechanical engineering problems any more quickly than anyone else. (C-)
idk much about this other than the uncontroversial fact that musk laughably underestimated how hard it is to build cars due to arrogance. a lot of this will amount to growing pains, but then again i drive a c5 a6 so i live to suffer for cars i love and my position on that continues to be "yep worth it"

Sagebrush posted:

- tesla's repair and user access policies are hostile and draconian. you think you own the car just because you bought it? lomarfio. you cannot purchase replacement parts yourself; tesla does not sell them or supply them to anyone other than tesla dealers. you may not have access to the factory shop repair manuals, either, except in massachusetts where the state right-to-repair law requires the company to make the manuals available. if you have a billing address in massachusetts, you may purchase access to the manuals for approximately 50 dollars per hour (no printing or saving allowed; the company has sued people who attempt to share the documents online). and that's just for the hardware components; as noted, the software is locked the gently caress down, and if you plug an ethernet cable into the debug port in the door sill you will find that it has been remotely disabled within the day. one of the general expectations you might have of your car is that whatever you did to drive it yesterday will still work the same way today; tesla regularly pushes over-the-air updates that install without your consent and may change things as fundamental as the car's power delivery or braking performance. of course you may not vet these updates to see what might be changed, added or removed, or even delay them until after the road trip to grandma's or your kid's driving test. stay on your toes! (F)
this amounts to rms-type nerd poo poo for an overwhelming majority of tesla owners bc tesla wants the car equivalent of the genius bar, the benefits of which arent worth explaining since we're all here posting in the apple thread

Sagebrush posted:

oh, and whenever there's a crash, they steal all the data over the wireless modem (remember that they're always connected to you!) and will publicize exactly how you hosed up because you took your hands off the wheel 4 seconds prior to the crash and didn't put them back on when alerted 1.2 seconds before the event and therefore it's entirely user error -- didn't you read the EULA? (F-, you have failed the course, and i am setting a meeting with the ethics board to discuss your behavior)
this is not a good thing but its a hobson's choice bc of dumb media sensationalism. otoh, model s is the safest car ever crash tested?

these things dont matter equally, in fact, as far as how much they matter to whether or not its a good car in the current market, they matter in almost inverse proportion to the words u spent effortposting about them, which i am genuinely sorry about my dude.

really easy to write a similar post about the latest macbooks and all of it would be true and they would still be the best laptops. yet unlike with Compujter, there is lots of room for traditional carmakers to make cars that are better than teslas for the reasons outlined above. they are not because they are feckless and unwilling and turgid and infinitely shittier than musk and a huge environmental threat which must be forced to change or die

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Management posted:

teslas are bad cars and grossly overpriced. here’s how you know: would you buy a tesla if it wasn’t electric?
lmao. would i buy an IC car that can smoke million dollar supercars for ~100k. yes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

when u add up discretionary and nondiscretionary spending the overwhelming majority of it goes toward entitlement programs: social security, medicare/medicaid, etc.

e: here's FY2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 21, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

holy poo poo lol disk utility is so bad. all this thing does is error out and ruin drives and make me reboot into windows to fix them with diskpart clean

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gently caress YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it was only partially broken until el cap, when they replaced it with this completely broken version. i literally just need to format this external 8tb to hfs+.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

afaik there is no equivalent of diskpart clean in cli diskutil. i was able to get it to format with cli diskutil, but only after i used windows diskpart clean to unfuck whatever the macos GUI disk utility did. formatting the drive in diskpart is a separate operation from clean

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

infernal machines posted:

seconding diskpart is trash.

like, windows level trash. it excels at beginning to do something then failing partway though with an error that could have easily been checked before the unrecoverable operation began, leaving you with a completely hosed partition table that nothing short of *nix command line tools on osx will fix

diskpart cli also works a treat of course
i assume u mean disk utility here. ive actually never had any real problems with diskpart (the windows thing)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wow does the air really have a tn panel. i figured it was just some cheapo IPS. thats lovely

OldAlias posted:

more than 1 port (a single port for charging and accessory is p upsetting),
actually it rules. single port docking

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GenJoe posted:

both windows and mac have very good scaling ityol 2018 and can do it w/o blurriness
lol no they dont. most things with windows scaling are still broken blurry crap. only timbOS handles 4k+ correctly

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

osx has had blurry fonts since inception so its users cant tell the difference
ya windows just makes everything blurry to even things out

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

nah windows looks gr8 and properly sharp in hidpi.
haha dude i know this is your schtick but like come on

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mlyp

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

mayo, sweet gherkin slices, and sharp cheddar on rye bread
seek help

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lambert posted:

Apple Maps: The Halo Master Chief Collection of mapping products.
what. i liked this. i mean, i didnt play halo 5 or 4 cos i could tell they sucked butts. but the remasters were kewl

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

would watch master chef: apple maps edition
just an hour of craig going around to every contestant: "mhm. yep. needs to be more melty though. liiiitle more melty"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lambert posted:

They're buggy as hell and Microsoft is still working on fixing them to this day. A new patch is due out soon that should finally put the issue to rest.
works on my machine (circa 2016)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Plays for Sure™ on Xbox® One™ for Workgroups™ 3.11®™

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

is your last name earnhardt?
ayyyyyy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its literally always worth a shot unless ur trying to bring in like an apple ][ or soemthing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rip macbook air too hopefully

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

tbh itd make a good native password manager and itd also be an inroad to other platform users because it runs on almost everything
i fuckin love 1password but, it definitely errs on the side of power vs usability. tried to get my mom to use it and she couldnt figure it out. if it were to go native, it would need a much much simpler UI

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

anthonypants posted:

what part of it couldn't she figure out
the UI for creating a new login/password and saving it in the vault is far more complicated than it needs to be, not to mention the fact that 1password doesn't always know how to fill login fields – sometimes it will just fill the password and not the username, or do nothing at all. keychain + safari has got the user aspects of that down pat even though it doesnt have a worthwhile frontend for just browsing through the vault.

oh, and 1password desperately needs local wifi syncing between two computers. currently you can only do that from computer to mobile. thats dumb.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

leave it to apple to consider basically every external monitor an "edge case"
no poors in yospos pls

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the fact its a good laptop has little to do with the hardware and everything to do with the fact it runs macos, and well

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

brap posted:

on the other hand my 3.5mm headphones will work with loving anything else I own

what’s needlessly large/long is either the dongle or the extra set of 3.5mm headphones you inevitably have to carry around
whats needlessly large/long is any wired headphones for mobile use ever

just as with the elimination of the optical drive, removing the headphone jack was a deliberate means to speed a technological transition, in this case towards truly wireless headphones which are infinitely better for mobile use than wired cans. im a total audiophile gently caress who owns obnoxiously expensive headphones for home use, but after buying airpods ill be damned if i ever use wired headphones with my phone again. walking around or running with a cord is cumbersome as hell. corded headphones dont belong with phones in tyool 2018 and if you are so desperate to do it just buy the dongle for your edge case.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rrraaaAAAGHH!!

Schadenboner posted:

Is hackintoshing laptops a thing?
yes but it involves like dsdt editing/patching and poo poo and not worth it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

how are you so dense that "wireless > wired" flies over your head

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i have an SE and airpods work great :confused:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

stymie only patronizes the greasiest love hotels in the seedy underbelly of bangkok

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/22/2018-macbook-pro-lacks-data-recovery-port/

lol

but I'm sure nobody who actually buy these keep any important data on them
its because hardware encryption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bump_fn posted:

the new magic trackpad is white instead of silver wtf
it also comes in murder black (no longer imac pro exclusive)