Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, you can. you may not fix it well though

otoh, it's not like the sh/sc crew know anything about doing things properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

lol those i9 mbps were such trash

- more expensive than the i7
- less battery time than the i7
- actually slower than the i7 most of the time (it overheated so quickly and spent so much of its time being throttled)

other than that, great chip

essentially all the reasons they never made a g5 powebook, but for some reason they built and sold this one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

somebody used floats for a dollar value

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

"pretty much perfectly" lmao

it almost works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm actually asking for specifics, in a non-snarky way. i thought the only product they had was the surface?

e: oh they make "surface laptops" now, huh. are they any good?

they're the best computer microsoft makes.

they're fine, and they have good screens with a 3:2 aspect ratio, which is pretty good for some things. they actually function and don't seem to have the massive reliability issues of the various surface tablets. all the accessories are still poo poo though because they use the surface dock connector which is hot garbage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

aren't those just HPs with licensed branding?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure that was motorola, but i might be confusing it with the 4g addon on the xoom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Let's keep in touch!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i spent a bunch of money on a 48" 4k oled tv for a monitor, but it suits my needs real nice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sometimes i miss my old 17" trinitron from work.

my current display is better by literally every metric, but still, man that thing was fuckin' crisp.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

did you read the words that i wrote or did you just want to dive in with a well, actually?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

yeah. best monitors i ever had were the pair of sony CPD-G400. 19", would do 1600x1200 @85Hz, crisp as hell, great colors. just perfect, until they started deteriorating

mine was pretty old by the time i was using it and it would get wiggy above 75hz, but you could do 1280x1024 @ 75hz and it looked great.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's also possible to "fear" change because you believe the change will on balance make things worse. it's not inherently bad to try to prevent the world from becoming materially worse, just because it's new

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol apple is out of ideas

what?

i mean, they might be, but that's some design student's concept render for a product that will probably never exist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Internaut! posted:

why would I want a smaller screen when I can get a larger one?

depends on why you're using a laptop i suppose

imo, it's meant to be portable, so smaller and lighter is preferable, if you need a larger screen, hook it up to a dock and a desktop display. obviously not everyone prioritizes the same things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

apple would sell you a large ceramic bowl if they thought it would make them loads of money

sure they would, but jumping straight to "well crapple's done it again" every time someone posts some hollywood upstairs design school graduate's concept render for a product based off one of a million patent fillings apple filed last year is a bit dumb.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm just mildly annoyed every time someone posts dumb poo poo created by apple fans or some clickbait "leak" site

it's like making fun of spacex for the concept starship drawings musk stans made. they're stupid, but also completely unconnected to anything the company is actually doing*

*what they were actually doing was in fact much, much dumber

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

for real they are clearly out of ideas though

i think the problem is all the ideas they've had are making them more money than god every single year, they're not really motivated to innovate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

try to modify /usr/local without disabling a bunch of crap, modify /System, install a kext, run something that uses opengl, or...

...yeah i'm not going to neckbeard hard here but there's a lot of limits on what you can do now. sucks but it's true

Beeftweeter posted:

actually just try modifying the root directory in general. you can't without disabling poo poo in recovery mode.

well, you see, you are wrong to want to do this

apple provides computing appliances. within the bounds of apple's intend use, they work with minimal friction. outside of that, not so much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

otoh the laserwriter continues to be the best printer apple ever made

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is native linux on m1 useable yet?

i mean relatively speaking, i know it's linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk, i've got a 2019 MBA i refurbed and it basically runs windows all the time because that's where my tools are, but when i replace it, it's probably not going to be with another mac because i don't want to engage in hand to hand combat with my tools in order to do my job

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

finder still sucks

the sun continues to rise in the east

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol it was literally a computer

postscript is a motherfucker

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i still find it amazing it's a general programming language you can use to exploit poo poo like 40 years later

i still find it amazing that 40 years later it remains possible to entirely accidentally create a pdf that will use more memory than is available in the system when you attempt to print it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

"this guy talking about iphone sure doesn't know how macbook displays work" -again, a literal moron

tbf, you mentioned RDP, so i think they were confused. because while you absolutely can rdp from your iphone, should you?

i have used it more than once in emergencies

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

the corollary to this is apple design has gotten so bad that people in this thread will defend things that would have seemed like awful poo poo on an android eight years ago

no, you see, it's actually good now, because apple is doing it.

if it were bad apple wouldn't do it, so clearly it's good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk that folding devices are actually on the rise. or to the extent that they are, it's in much the same way 3d phones were on the rise in 2011 or whenever

apple doesn't make one though, so it's impossible to say if they're good or not

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

mooom, can we have mac studio?
no, we have mac pro at home

mac pro at home:

beefy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

make sure rotor doesn't see this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

now is surface laptop's time to shine!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i got a clear shell for my new mba and really like it, so i ordered one for my work mbp and got dumb with it

lol

how's the print quality?

i don't care for branded stuff so i've wanted something to put over upper assembly on my macbook, but it seems like the quality of the printing on a lot of the wraps is poor at best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i loved mine (and the n800) and used it constantly, but yeah, it was not really a consumer friendly device

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

i was able to find the long article that covers meamo's history: https://muropaketti.com/mobiili/the-story-of-nokia-meego/

this is great

i had the lumia 800 too. i quite liked it up until the web browser stopped being usable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i spent the majority of my youth being entirely too stupid to be afraid of anything real (and also being canadian) and i wish your son at least as much luck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Brrrmph posted:

hey, yospos. it is me your computer.

I have a M1 Mac Mini. When I use an external USB drive - WD in this case - the drive will work fine for a couple hours. But at some point when I then go to the drive via Finder nothing will show up. It looks like this.

This only happens with drives that I formatted on the new Mac. All my external drives formatted on my 2015 Intel MacBook Pro are fine.

Any idea what causes this? I'm on the newest OS.

if you check the logs, do they show anything about the filesystem being corrupt? can you still list the directories in terminal?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wd has been making their external drives with integrated usb controllers for years now. there's probably no sata plug on the drive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FCKGW posted:

They do/did on their 2.5" externals but not on their 3.5"

source: worked for WD for a decade

i was unaware they were still making 3.5" externals. i know the 2.5" have been like that for a while though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ars has a great retrospective on newton for its 30th anniversary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ars doesn't have a great bench these days, i guess you take what you can get