Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
wasn't the iMac updated quite recently? although it makes sense to wait for the new cpus since intel finally increased the core count, but that goes for all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
macsbooks pros

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
hey timb whens my quad core mac mini coming

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its a terrible investment. as for the prices, here's downtown.

https://www.ss.com/lv/real-estate/flats/riga/centre/sell/fDgSeF4belI=.html

so basically you cant spend more than 1.5 mil (thats 4500 sqft downtown penthouse). in downtown dece apt will be like 100-200k, on the outskirts you can buy for much less.

for reference wrt purchasing power, my very well earning friend did recently take a mortage for an apartment on riga outskirts - its a 500-something sqft 2br or 3br that cost <50k and needed several grand in repairs and furniture

the place i stay at, aiming to provide medium-upper class studio apartments for young professionals, does sell their 350 sqft studios for around 50k. no repairs needed, fully furnished and renovated 3 years ago. a much better district than where that friend bough hist multi-br

another friend bought, but this was several years ago, a 460 sqft studio on the outskirts, but on the correct side of the river and noticeably closer to downtown than the friend from above. he 40k for that unfurnished studio in a newly built medium-tier apartment complex.

i found the kitchen of nightmares by sorting for cheapest apartments:

google translate tells me it "needs repair" but im pretty sure burning it down would be a better option

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
HEY TIMB WHERES MY MAC MINI

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I don't have a driving license

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Ripoff posted:

what the hell did they stuff into it?

hopefully a lot of stuff because high Sierra is loving broken

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
im thinking they're probably going to put that Vega/intel chip in the new Mac mini

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Apple Music is garbage even on macOS, can't imagine what trash ux they must have on android

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
honestly the x1 carbon is not bad ( for a pc. ) trackpad is kind of bad but aren't they all

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

infernal machines posted:

the touchpads are absolute 100% loving trash that i wouldn't wish on anyone.

they are so horrendously bad you will use one for a minute and wonder what kind of demented hateful mind would intentionally design such a thing and see it through to production.

the english language lacks the words to adequately describe just how unbelievably awful the thinkpad touchpads are and have been for like a decade now.

Honestly the new touchpads aren't that bad but you're definitely right about the old ones

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

akadajet posted:

lol, they still have this up
http://itunes.com/soi-remove

I'd love to remove it but it doesn't seem to work with 2fa

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I didn't bother with a nfc card yet because chip + pin is fine hth

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yah i chose against getting an nfc card. especially given that i have an ancient constanza wallet with no rfid protection

what are you worried about? if you've ever used a nfc card like on public transport you'd know accidentally scanning it somewhere is a complete non-issue. I remember when nfc cards were just coming out and people thought holding the card in your hand while the bus drove by would scan your card on the bus lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
They would literally have to hold the nfc terminal directly against your pocket or wherever you keep your card in order for it to have any chance of scanning correctly. Larger amounts require authorisation and they'd need to keep it connected to their merchant account. I think it would be the dumbest possible crime but I'd love to give it a shot for a "prank" sketch because I bet it would be hilarious trying to scan peoples wallets like that.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
It will be interesting to see if they replace intel cpus in their workstations too

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The Management posted:

jony is lost in design wankery and needs someone to ground him. Phil’s job is to make products people want to buy, and he’s failing at it in the Mac Pro.

the truth is that the cheesegraters never sold very well. they sold some. but they weren’t updated often and they were very expensive. having 30 pounds of milled aluminum or overengineered slots in there didn’t help that.

95% of people would be extremely happy with a black box under their desk that had high end CPUs, lots of ram, pci slots, storage bays, and some real cooling. it doesn’t need to look pretty. it doesn’t need to be small. it doesn’t need to be modular. it just needs to run macOS and be easily upgradable.

there’s always been demand for a mid-range tower, that’s not a $9000 workstation but also not a Mac mini constrained laptop in a box. just make it already and it would sell much better than the cheesegraters ever did and certainly better than the trash cans.

I think I just talked myself into a hackintosh. gently caress.

you've also convinced me to upgrade my hack instead of waiting for the Mac mini. as for the Mac Pro it's probably going to look something like this except whiter and thinner

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Scott Forstall posted:

I'm buying a Falcon NW once new NVidia cards are released.

it was a year between the pascal cards release and the macOS drivers so expect to wait a few months after release for the drivers. the high Sierra drivers have been of extremely poor quality with frequent crashes and low performance. it might be resolved soon but I'd hold off on Nvidia actually

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
idk why you’re all on about warranty. he wants to pay for repair or parts

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
he’s also constantly dropping things and never misses an opportunity to take a really stupid shortcut. anyway the problem is that Apple won’t sell their service partners the spare parts due to some certification that’s required but impossible to take.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

syscall girl posted:

i think i understand the dongle hate (it's leverage right?) but shouldn't there be a bunch of new headphones for wire lovers coming out without the 3.5 or some kind of either or option

turns out nobody likes cables

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
some days my iphone 7 drains its battery completely by 3pm while most days i'll go to bed with it at more than 50%. i dont do anything different with it at all. please help?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
same as normal, nothing different there

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I’ve found that some apps, such as Facebook, has a noticeable impact on battery life even when in background though

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
sometimes the dhcp server is misconfigured to use a small ip pool (or just too many clients for the subnet) which means new devices can't connect until an address is released

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
high Sierra will NEVER get dark mode

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
google is trash for public transport compared to citymapper

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
the answer is simple: Tim hates nerds and want them to suffer. this is the only way to explain the Mac Pro and Mac mini

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

looks like i9 mbp is perfectly fine for cpu-only workloads, e.g. a potential upgrade for coders etc, especially if you manually change the fan profile from “Jonny Ives aluminium vacuum cube” to “fans spin when computer hit”

replacing the thermal compound with liquid metal would probably help too. the real question is if that thin plastic thing actually prevents the keyboard from breaking

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
some manager probably glanced at the tdp and then decided to just replace the chip and ship. the pleas of the nerd gently caress engineers were ignored

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
timb hates nerds

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
honestly you’re better off with some sick beard advice than bread recipes anyway

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I got a nuc but the fan noise was literally like a hairdryer on full blast so I returned that piece of poo poo

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

r u ready to WALK posted:

hopefully there is at least one surprise non-crap mac released this year because i'm really desperate for an upgrade

my new hackintosh is great so I sure hope timb doesn't suddenly release the 6 core Mac mini I've been asking for

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
somehow all my iCloud passwords got deleted, I guess its time to look into 1password

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
here's a crazy idea: maybe give iCloud to some software people instead of the garbage media negotiator fucks its currently with?? this is why my passwords are gone

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Nude posted:

so how is the update, any neat features besides night mode?

new App Store, faster and there's a recently used section in the dock. some new security stuff too

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
don't full screen iOS apps on your iMac, problem solved

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
just wear the mega-dock as a necklace nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

hey a retina mba finally. too bad about the poo poo kbd though. will still swing by a fruit stand for a test drive. i can possibly live with poo poo keyboard for a retina mba

don't buy a loving dual core cpu in 2018 lol