Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also im actually impressed by apple maps - much like osm, but unlike google maps/waze, it can correctly show where my house is on the map. google maps shows the location 300 metres off, to an entirely different building, leading to a lots of angry/frustrated deliveryperson calls

You can actually change that. I eventually moved my house's address half a block down the street because Google Maps kept sending deliveries and visitors to the major road my yard backs onto, from which there is no access in less than 5-10 minutes. People figure it out a lot faster now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

On a computer, as of right now (pretty different from the last time I did it).

1) Search for address
2) Hamburger menu in top left
3) Send feedback
4) Suggest an edit to [address]
5) [x] Marker is placed incorrectly on map + move it with drag and drop.

These get reviewed by volunteer "local guides" who may or may not rubber stamp it. You used to be able to put in an optional free text description/reason on the change but not any more, at least through this interface.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endless Mike posted:

just turn it off when you've reached a familiar part of your drive? like, why are you using a gps to get home at all?

Traffic-based routing? I have a ~15 minute commute by any of 3 main routes (two of them are highways, the other gets blocked by freight trains) that will each individually get completely jammed while the others are fine.

When I don't use GPS to pick which, I regret it more often than not.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is in the "teen zone" anyway, other than withering contempt for the kids who dwell there instead of amongst the books for adults?

Comic books and graphic novels with extra violent/sexy content?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rjmccall posted:

i’m just shitposting. for a variety of reasons, pickpocketing is basically nonexistent in the us

Well seriously, if they grab your wallet and run, you just shoot them. What's a Brit going to do? Affix a pocketknife to the nearest long stick and wish they were any good at hurling a javelin?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cash is used rarely enough in large chunks of the economy that it doesn't even offer any payment anonymity between "person X withdrew these serial numbers" and "person/business Y deposited them".

Unless we're talking $1-5 bills at restaurants but who cares about piddly amounts like that?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just double tap power to open the camera even when locked?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dodoman posted:

The windows store version of itunes is much better than the regular version, but that's not really saying much.

I installed this and it didn't work at all, wouldn't launch no matter what I did... If that's the improvement you're talking about, okay, fair enough.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I picked up an Asus Zenbook with a high res screen for the wife a couple years back, it was way better than the Air by that point, conveniently at a lower price too (possibly only due to a boxing day sale).

I'm still using my 2012 MBA at home (w/ newer battery) since nothing compelling has been available from Apple in years.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

sorry about your divorce, forums poster James Baud

Oh no, I bought a Mac too and let her pick - she got mad at the OS and crappy screen.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's some font that designers just love using because it tickles some pretentious place in their fancy, but it looks like dog poo poo when you don't have the font installed because the fallback is terrible.

This has been a thing for ages, but somehow they still keep doing it. It's some variant of Helvetica, of course.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im so pissed with the state of alarm clock apps on ios that im ready to buy a macbook just so i can code myself an alarm clock with decent feature set

It's kinda funny that both this and the Android thread are full of recent complaints by people who got suckered into thinking the Mac+iOS ecosystem is any better than the alternatives.

Everything sucks! Especially your operating systems.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

iirc anything between 1980 and 2000 is millennial. so no, you ain't genx those people are all pushing 40

So are people born in 1980 - in three months and change, they start turning 39.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drastic Actions posted:

i had a sinking feeling i knew who wrote this and being right doesn't make it hurt less

esr reviews phones too?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

#1 sign of an ancient beardo: anyone who knows what "spatial finder" even was

The wars over spatial nautilus were fierce!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

my gym checks for ID after you go through the locker room so i have a case from bellroy that holds an ID card, it's very good

Why after? Do they sell standalone access to the showers?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Found a good deal on a decent Asus Zenbook around Christmas 2015 and bought a couple. My wife and mother both have had zero trouble for three years, and if something does happen going forward, we're well into "whatever" territory since they only cost $725 each originally, taxes included.

Christ knows how many keyboards would have failed on the Macs of the same era.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

someone handed me their ipad and it's wild to me that rotation lock is off by default

once the photo stopped spinning right round like a record (baby) it was a nice photo i guess

You were holding it wrong.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The AppleTV 4 remote is the worst input device I have used in my life ... And I actually tried a Surface 1 Cover's touchpad in a store before going "yeah right".

You can't reliably go left/right without the odd up/down input. In the NHL app in particular, this means you'll regularly spoil your game results with highlights while attempting to skip commercials while watching on tape delay.

You can't reliably do some sort of click this side/that side thing without it being a central one sometimes.

You can't just grab the thing and use it abruptly because it may not be connected.

No obvious tactile front/back so you accidentally hit the wrong side, wrong buttons when not looking, etc.

Two of the four input buttons are defacto useless - every time you press them, you wish you hadn't.

Awful text input (due to inability to reliably go left/right vs up/down, nevermind overshooting your letter as you go drag back and forth trying to stop on the right one).

This makes you keep trying Siri input but it understands you only enough to get your hopes up. You can't possibly use it as your preferred method because it is wrong so often.

I used an AppleTV 2 happily for 6 years, this new one is garbage (and my toddlers lost the old remote).

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what

its just a trackpad. its literally just a laptop trackpad. how are you handy enough with a trackpad to write that entire awful post but unable to use the apple tv remote like a normal human being. have you tried turning down the sensitivity?

what im trying to say is: actually, it's good

Absolutely. But you've got to stop in the middle ground for text input between "a bit of precision inaccuracy" and "it takes eight swipes to get across the screen".

The missing control here is actually pointer acceleration.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jit bull transpile posted:

idk why goons get so triggered by skinny jeans but it can't possibly be a good reason. do you get upset about avocados and man buns too?

Lol, man buns. I sure hope everyone does.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

I'm on day 3 of windows 10 and now that I've unpinned everything from the start menu and hidden cortana it's just flat windows with an extra janky control panel

It has improved a bit over time, kind of like how nobody could figure out how to do anything at all in Windows 8, but 8.1 was discoverable enough albeit garbage.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boiled Water posted:

software update by post like the 80’s

Watch out, you may be getting a registered letter informing you that your last weekly back and forth floppy had computer AIDS (the Michaelangelo virus).

Nevermind that the source of the infection was the same people sending the notification. What are you going to do next, get stoned?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

i’ll try this. if this does indeed work its discoverability is tragic

on windows it’s extremely good for looking at a picture, and then instantly looking at the next one without some magic ritual

this is hosed it i want to view all pics fullscreen pic by pic

There's actually a full screen slideshow function built into Finder, too, only accessible via a nice discoverable shortcut I have to Google each time. Something intuitive like command-option-3, perhaps?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

I think that's how you take a screenshot

Google says old "Command-Option-Y", new "option-space", but I don't think either of those are what I used to use.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

indigi posted:

it's so hilarious when MLs earnestly claim China is communist

Isn't forced labor a not so subtle central tenet of communism? I can't think of any real world example that hasn't embraced that wholeheartedly...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

those waiters also make $100k a year

quality service staff at that level don't come cheap

But their shoes sure do!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a neurotic ai posted:

Explain it to me again, this time like I’m 5. Why is it that America is so far behind on the whole contactless/chip+pub thing?

I can tap my card/Apple Pay almost anywhere in Germany, heck anywhere in Europe.

Is it because it was invented by french people?

America has 2.5 million different banks, give or take a couple orders of magnitude. Most other countries' banking industries are ~90% concentrated into 5-6 institutions which makes it easier to coordinate and execute changes.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Arguably the intentional sabotage was whoever in your organization decided "we should make this using web technologies".

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agile Vector posted:

the only issue ive had with it for apple pay is some small shops i go to ill be talking to the owners about something and its weird to break away suddenly to authenticate but thats more of a social thing

Haha, another reason why faceid is stupid.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The law was changed because "everyone" (particularly problem drinkers) knew that you could beat the charges with the defense "I had a few stiff drinks from this here flask after the accident/getting pulled over".

Hit something while drunk? Good christ, do not remain at scene. Go home and drink a lot immediately, the penalty for the hit and run is way less than impaired driving. Etc

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Out of curiosity re: terrible keyboards, can you RDP/VNC/whatever your way onto cloud OSX desktop VMs anywhere?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vintersorg posted:

is the new camera as good as the pixel 2 XL?

a guy in the metal forums posted these and they look goddamn amazing

This was a 3a the other day, however I am a failure at embedding. Will try editing more later:

https://imgur.com/HHCRpmS

James Baud fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 27, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

iPhone apps on your Mac look like iPhone apps. very mad about this

Did nobody in this industry learn anything from Windows 8 at all?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jesus WEP posted:

when im logged in to youtube my recommends are 100% made up of mountain biking and miniature painting things

when im not logged in to youtube its 100% Bill Burr DESTROYS Feminism In 5 Sentences

the algorithm is a nazi

When you're not logged in they've gotta fall back on geolocation. Hope that makes you feel better about your neighbours!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buy carpet, cheap garbage laminate is a scourge.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was a good refresher on how the online ruby on rails community was full of overdramatic primadonnas and consequently everybody the least bit mature went python/Django when deciding on a web language/framework to replace PHP fifteen years ago.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He's a pharmacist, the pills just disappear in a few seconds (lost in the noise of the ones that get crushed, bottles that are short, etc) vs all that time getting tests and results.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think the ones you pay for make you pull over to watch a 30s ad video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

we have wifi in the stations and lte through a provider approximately no one uses, who the major carriers refuse to license access with, because absolutely everyone involved from the carriers to the service provider to the transit company are assholes of the highest order

Lol, Freedom/Wind, the "doesn't work inside buildings" carrier is the only one that works on your subways?