Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm, it's the Apple thread,lol

Lambert fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Finally, the stocks app we've all been waiting for!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

the second you put meat on grilled cheese it’s a melt

Nah, it's a sandwich.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Is there really an audience for reading page after page about Apple Maps? TechCrunch is astounding to me.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yes, this time, they'll finally fix Apple Maps.

And in two years, we'll get another series of articles on how they're getting serious about Maps and this time, they'll finally fix Apple Maps.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

OldAlias posted:

wtf are you on about

The fact we've been through this song and dance multiple times now.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apple seems to disagree.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apple Maps: The Halo Master Chief Collection of mapping products.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what. i liked this. i mean, i didnt play halo 5 or 4 cos i could tell they sucked butts. but the remasters were kewl

They're buggy as hell and Microsoft is still working on fixing them to this day. A new patch is due out soon that should finally put the issue to rest.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

and i'm filled with shame that i bought a moto g5 instead of a fairly dece iphone

i'm that idiot nerd who can't show his face in yospos because i'm playing a card game on my ayndroid

That's an excellent phone if you were looking for a budget Android. lol @ buying an Iphone for 6x the price.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

for three hundos i could have bought a decent iphone and i have a huuuuuge amount of nerd games on the app store already purchased

You were overpaying.

Also, you there are no iPhone for $300 (unless you were thinking of buying used)

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 5, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

now i feel really insulted

but you can get an iphone for less than 300 on a carrier plan or amazon

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-6-6S-Plus-100-Above/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A12522859011%2Cp_36%3A2491159011

"Carrier plan" means you're essentially buying your phone on credit. And I'm sure you could get an old used/"refurbished" Moto G on Amazon for almost nothing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

OldAlias posted:

the SE can be got used for 100-200, or the ones w/ old storage sizes can be got new for sub 300 from shops if they still have the stock

Considering the Moto G5 was a significantly cheaper phone, just imagine how cheap it is used now, multiple years later! Also, lol @ buying a tinyscreen SE

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Father Jack posted:

their link shows that you can buy a refurb 6s, from apple, for less than US$300. half that if you're OK with 16GB

the 6s is still supported, and the current version of the os and updates are pushed in a timely manner. the g5 is still on 7.0 which was released almost 2 years ago, gets maybe 2 security updates a year, and does not have hardware feature that were in the t-mobile g1

You do realize comparing a new budget phone in 2015 to buying a used phone now, in 2018, is really stupid?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

loving lol at big screen lovers

hey i need a big screen for my big hands

Sorry about your Trump hands.

Yes, I do. Even Apple, manufacturer of famously overpriced phones, realized big screens are advantageous. They offer the SE to milk the idiots.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

wtf do you need a newish phone for, exactly?

you want to be ahead of the curve?

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/09/11/apple-doesnt-think-iphone-x-needs-ram-probably-right/

my dumb idiot phone has eight cores and 4 gigasucks

who the gently caress cares about stats

What?

You should be comparing the Moto G5 to used Iphone prices from 2015 (and, even then, you'd still be comparing new to used/"refurbished"). The Moto G5 isn't a 2018 phone.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the Apple iPhone SE is the best phone ever made

If you don't use your phone, maybe.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 5, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

I shouldn't

but did you bother to read my link? Iphones are superior to ayndroids yes but they don't have the muscle it takes to make the world's shittiest operating system kind of work

iPhone does more with less but they just don't do sd cards

This is really dumb. Do you get all your tech news from apple.com?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Father Jack posted:

perhaps, but the g5 was launched in march 2017 nimrod.

I stand corrected. Moto G5 still seems like a much saner financial decision than buying a used (I'm sorry, "refurbished") iPhone from some shady seller. But he still overpayed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

But then you'd be using an aynrandroid?

Yeah, it's the leading mobile platform.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
He also popularized one weird trick to not having a license plate on your car (leasing a new one every six months).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, a 7.5 is much too high for an useless product like the Ipad.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Media Bloodbath posted:

Switching from excel for OSX to iOS is not so bad, as you are already using a gimped version anyways. No Powerpivot, Visual Basic stuff often not compatible if the file is opened in Windows and vice versa.

You can also tie your hands behind your back and try to use the computer that way, but why gimp yourself when it isn't necessary.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yeah i'd bet a lot of someone's money that the ipad pro is using an accelerator for the encode. intel chips have quicksync but its a motherfuck to figure out what's supported on your SKU, what software will use quicksync, and then you can't go full sperg on encoding settings

RAW conversion might be acceleratable as well though. like here's someone selling a CUDA denoiser: https://www.fastcompression.com/products/denoiser/gpu-denoiser.htm

QuickSync is also pretty bad at encoding, so who knows what type of quality you get out of an Ipad encode.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

802.11n is what, 300mbps? most people don't have internet that fast

You're never going to get even close to 300mbps with n.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

freeasinbeer posted:

through a wall in a “dense” urban environment

There's no way that's n. With ac, it's doable. I'm getting the full 300 my connections allows with ac.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Steve may have been crazy.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apple Music is missing all the cool playlists by users Spotify has.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

apple is good at many things. web services is not one of those things (neither is original content)

that said, some of apples web services work very well, like itunes/app store and apple pay (i would have put imessage in there but it has too many recent problems doing basic poo poo like syncing across mutliple devices and showing messages in their correct timestamp order)

Itunes/app store is a real clusterfuck. They don't even have a real web frontend and don't offer push installations to devices. Feels like it's from 2003 or something. And what's impressive about about Apple Pay? That it utilizes the NFC standard to do the same thing a plastic credit card can do? The fact they found a way to get a cut of credit card transactions?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bluetooth headphones, even cheap ones, work fine. Airpods are dumb.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Did you just realize that there are bad products out there?

Whoa.

Also, Airpods are Bluetooth as well (but they do suck, so you might have a point).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you had bought goods headphones instead of airpods, you probably wouldn't need to charge them all the time on long trips. And wouldn't need to bring a "charging case" in addition to a power adpater.

Also, the cable in between is a great feature as it means it's easy to quickly put them down in order to talk to someone without having to fumble around and store them somewhere.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
So they're still at 100% if you don't use them, that's a great point.

But yes, the charging case is a reasonable idea. It's just that everything else about the airpods seems bad.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

yes, exactly.thats a pain in the rear end. look, if you want to remain in the past with a bunch of weird tangled up wires and clawing at buttons then staring at a flashing light so it can handshake with a device youve used a thousand times, go for it

You do it once, then it works forever. Also, the wire is a feature. Lacking the wire makes the Airpods so uncomfortable to use.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I own cheap Aukey bluetooth headphones that work fine. That doesn't mean any cheap product is going to be great.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

"all of these products work fine!"

"of course not all of these products work fine!"

Your interpretation is dumb.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

not my fault you don't know how to qualify an absolute statement

I said "Bluetooth headphones work fine" as a response to your statement that the Airpods are the only wireless headphones that work. That doesn't mean all Bluetooth headphones everywhere are quality products. Just that, in general, even cheap Bluetooth headphones work fine.

Learn 2 read.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What if the device were the dongle? Basically, the cable would plug into it directly, no extra adapter cable necessary!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Mine hiccup most often out in the open. Near traffic lights especially, for whatever reason. Might be coincidence, but who knows. Indoors is pretty much always fine.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Reasonable hardware design: What is it good for. Certainly not Tim's margins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The good reason: Tim's margins.

Also, what does "this is an appliance" even mean. People want user-upgradeable RAM in order to not pay the outrages prices Apple charges for RAM.