Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Amethyst posted:

loving swiftui is out, a new declarative ui paradigm and you ABSOLUTE LOSERS are talking about the stand

There are no autolayout or “what’s new in cocoa touch” sessions (though the is an appkit one).. SwiftUI is definitely the future. Marzipan/Catalyst is basically already outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Eli sometimes has interesting takes about design, but he is also a very, very reactionary centrist.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Microsoft has been trying to make the Xbox more than just game console since the original Xbox. The only reason they made the Xbox in the first place was because they were afraid Sony was going to take over the living room and from there the PC.

Then it turned out that it was smart phones that are killing most of the PC market.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Looks like ringtutorial.blend

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Can someone explain to me the love for Function keys? I literally have no idea what they were ever used for. Also I absolutely will never let go of my GUI security blanket so you may have to dumb down your explanation for me.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Thanks!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Imagine paying $10 a month to read back issues of Car And Driver

How many times has Apple tried to relaunch newsstand? It’s like there is this vision of the future where we were all supposed to be reading NYT Snowfall style articles on tablets and thinking big thoughts, when in practice it’s as you said.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Is this a Bret Victor quote?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Vomik posted:

I guess we would never know unless someone way high up or Ives said it (looking forward to the $500 oversized graphical tell all), but was Ives asked to resign?

I just wanted to see Ive’s designs for the car (and Gruber’s defense of it).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

The Management posted:

the Bluetooth audio world is a clusterfuck of broken implementations that barely work. every change or bug fix to the iOS bt audio control software breaks some number of cars because they’re all incompatible with each other.

See: BT headphones and speakers with volume controls independent from the phone’s.

Also my car will also autoplay music from the music app when whatever when the previous audio app was killed, but it’s random. Instead of starting with “A” it will pick a random song and then start playing songs in alphabetical order from there.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

I want to like IB because when it (and @IBInspectable and @IBDesignable) works it feels like magic... but it breaks so easily. I don’t even have issues with merge conflicts, just inscrutable render errors (“the agent crashed!”), views complaining their size or location is ambiguous until a refresh, and debug console spam about conflicting constraints when there is the absolute minimum of constraints possible.

Edit: Is there any proof the Apple actually uses IB despite how much they push it? There is no way Apple dog foods it for how buggy it is.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

The Management posted:

3g to LTE was a huge jump in bandwidth and capacity. LTE to 5G won’t be a noticeable difference unless you’re a device that uses the network’s low latency slice (your phone isn’t).

also, carriers have reallocated most of their bandwidth from existing 3g to LTE. when you fall back to 3g, you’re getting the bare minimum amount of throughout. it’s not the same speed as when 3g was the primary standard.

Yeah when I fall back to 3G it might as well just fallback to phone calls only. Nothing that requires a data connection gets in or out.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

cool might be the wrong word, but corporate giants fighting tends to be both fun and good.

KenWatanabeLetThemFight.jpg

qirex posted:

also
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1294041513685651456

this is clearly a coordinated thing since the current surest defense against getting in trouble for a monopoly is the courts have ruled that lower prices excuse pretty much all other behavior [see also: amazon getting to cry unfair while holding 90% of the ebook market]. this way there's a clear increase in price for the same good so there's "damages" of some kind to customers

The ebooks thing was hilarious because there was video footage and I think it was also in the Isaacson biography where Stebe just admits to colluding with publishers to set prices. The more surest defense is to not just publicly post mycrimes.txt

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

poty posted:

apple should put out a statement criticizing that facebooks expensive ad rates hurt small businesses a lot more

I also criticize Apple for its fees for Facebook in-app purchases , they are way too low!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i remember reading somewhere that a lot of that is pre-loading ad videos that can play when you open the app even if you are out of cell range, and other terrible poo poo.

https://blog.timac.org/2017/0410-analysis-of-the-facebook-app-for-ios-v-87-0/

quote:

@protocol FBDeprecatedAppModule_DO_NOT_USE_OR_YOU_WILL_BE_FIRED

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

going to be a lot of stuff in production, or left needing a patch, in limbo with unreal engine losing ios support

Can’t Epic just release a version of Unreal Engine that’s not notarized or whatever? It’s not like they make it available through the Mac AppStore. It’s other developers who then use it to build games for iOS/Mac/tvos(lol).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

poty posted:

the rumor is that all phones will be 5g

people accept paying more for better screen and camera so why make it more complicated

:tinfoil: also 5g will spread the virus so their investor bill gates can sell you a vaccine and put chips in your blood :tinfoil:

Master Willem “Bill” Gates

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
If the new style widgets are anything like on the watch (which I believe they are. SwiftUI feed style widgets) then the data they display will always be out of sync because it only gets updated when the os feels like it.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Twerk from Home posted:

Apple's lovely backwards compatibility isn't anything new, and devs aren't obligated to maintain things forever for free.

I know nobody was gaming on Mac OS, but now most of the old stuff that ran happily on integrated graphics can't run at all because there were never 64-bit binaries built.

I own a copy of Duskers I can’t play currently because it’s 32-bit (though why someone was making a 32-bit game in 2016 I don’t know. Though the same could be said of Apple dropping 32 bit support). No chance for an update because the dev team broke up right after release.

TOOT BOOT posted:

They're not but the end result is that I basically stopped buying apps except maybe once a year, and I don't have any ad-supported apps either

Same. I would even pay for a new version but what usually happens is the app is just abandoned. e.g. Editorial which hasn’t been updated in forever.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Maximo Roboto posted:

what if this next launch is for the AR goggles

Gurman’s article makes it sound like it’s still a few years away. Also sounds like the project could just blow up given they had a bunch of departures and Ive pushed the AR team in a direction they didn’t want to go and then left Apple.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The 12 Pro Max is slightly over half a pound (228 grams for our non-:911: friends). :eyepop:

Edit: At least throw in a free fitness subscription with it timb!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Phygee

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

echinopsis posted:

tbf tho youtube should have a locked down whitelist functionality

They do for education accounts, but it is implemented very, very poorly. Tried using it when I was a teacher, it could take days for a video I added to the whitelist to show up for students, if ever.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
“they take up space”

uhhh...

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Significantly higher but apparently still sub 30 fps.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

havelock posted:

yeah what intel cpu is this compared to?

it's so typically them - if they claimed 20% faster no one would blink but it has to be 5x faster which is clearly bullshit.

Also I think all the GPU comparisons are against the Intel integrated GPU.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
lol no price on the MBP. it’s gonna be $3000+.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

FCKGW posted:

They announced a price, same as the old ones. Starts at $1299

Last Chance posted:

I thought they said $1200
e:fb

Whoops I must have blinked then. $1299 for only 8GB of ram though. Ouch!

Tim has really pleased the margin gods with this one.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

fart simpson posted:

what about smell

Why do you think they’re called organic LEDs? Smell-o-vision is here!
e: fb

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

haveblue posted:

an ipad or iphone going full bore can easily become uncomfortable to touch in spots so let's hope they're a little more aggressive for the laptop

The 4K apple tv has a fan. It’s only an A10X, which was in the 2017 iPad Pro and the non-X version in the iPhone 7, but it should be able to provide a comparison for fan vs no fan performance at least. I can’t seem to find any benchmarks on it though.

hobbesmaster posted:

they’re nowhere near as bad as the latest MacBooks pro though

Yeah I think the 16” always uses the dGPU when it’s plugged into an external monitor so mine is always pumping out a good amount of heat, even if the fan itself is inaudible. Doing anything that’s not watching a video or browsing the web makes it sound like a jet engine and makes it hot enough to be unusable as a laptop.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Edit: Geekbench scores. Not sure how someone managed to run one yet, though.

Last Chance posted:

Not too shabby

I’m withholding my judgement until these actually get into people’s hands. Hard to believe those performance numbers. Also presumably the Air would eventually be thermally throttled and the 16” would overtake it. The air cooled M1 13” pro though...

If those numbers are real though, Intel should consider themselves incredibly lucky that Apple probably has no desire to sell these chips to anyone else. They basically just had a heart attack in a hospital and really need to think about getting their poo poo together.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

fart simpson posted:

the armbook air is literally 3.5 times faster than the 2019 mba

Hard to believe just because it’s so much faster. Though I guess I can believe Intel has been grifting for years.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

You might as well argue that your economy isn’t yours instead of “communism but only for printer drivers.”

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

that reason is LAPACK

LAPACK’s daemon

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

BobHoward posted:

right now, if you are ok with the limitations (at most 16gb ram, 2 usb ports, 1 external monitor, 13.3" display), and do not have a need to run x86 windows or 32-bit x86 mac apps, there is no question about it. buy one of the m1 macsbooks, pro or air

Even with Intel Mads you can’t run 32bit x86 apps in Catalina. Maybe Apple wasn’t sure at the time but they might as well have just kept 32 bit support for Catalina and dropped it with macOS 11 and the transition to Arm. (Though really I guess I’m just bitter that there were some games I wanted to play that were ported to Mac as 32 bit apps. Duskers was released as only a 32 bit app in 2016! :wtc:)

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
$550 and no audio input cable. Does it even work with non-Apple devices?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MR2C2AM/A

quote:

Using with AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro
Connect your AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro headphones to the audio-out port on an airplane, iPhone, iPad, Mac, or other device.

I guess they do work with an audio-to-lightning cable.

edit:

Perplx posted:

Can you even transmit cd quality over bluetooth 5 let alone the high bitrate audiophile garbage? Can theses even play ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) without transcoding?

I would think that they might at least use an Apple proprietary modification of Bluetooth when it’s connected to an Apple device (like the PS does to do very low latency audio to the controller audio jack). What does Airplay2 use?

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 8, 2020

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

qirex posted:

lol the homepod which they spent like 5 years “perfecting” is discontinued. pod mini lives on for now

Weren’t they like $400 at launch? I might have gotten one or two if they were $200 (and had a aux jack just in case.) Price killed this thing.

Though I am surprised that Timb was able to overcome his love of SKUs and discontinue both the iMacPro and the HomePod.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

mediaphage posted:

you can totally get decent speaks and wifi audio for < $400. it'll never be as applstylish though so i'd argue the two don't really compete

"A longtime manager at both Apple and Tesla Inc. said this would be like Apple asking bitter smartphone rival Samsung Electronics Co. to manufacture the iPhone. Apple wants to challenge the assumptions of how a car works -- how the seats are made, how the body looks, the person said. A traditional automaker would be reluctant to help such a potentially disruptive competitor, said the person, who asked not to be identified discussing private matters."

i feel like this is a dumb analogy because samsung over the years has made huge additions to the iphone because samsung is large enough that they actually do all sorts of contract manufacturing

most car companies don't

It’s extra dumb because Toyota licenses the Prius hybrid power train to other car companies and the supplier who actually produces it for Toyota offers white label versions. Car companies do deals with competitors all the time. Edit: The Toyota 86 and the Subaru BRZ are the same car with some small cosmetic changes. The Infiniti Q30 and the Mercedes GLA are nearly the same car, etc.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Endless Mike posted:

somewhere you have to drive everywhere to do anything is hell imo

Perplx posted:

the majority of americans do in-fact live in hell