Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

two years from now all flagship android phones will have Google Face Unlock or S Face and everyone will pretend like it was an obvious thing and it wasn’t even an Apple a Microsoft innovation because some lovely android phone had a terrible and broken face recognition feature that was promptly abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

developers should never have been

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i still can't believe slack is a thing. and that it's worth millions.

Bill Gates - "$8 billion for a chat app? WTF we can just write one ourselves, guys."

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

they originally did this for QuickTime. for iTunes they used the same portability layer to make iTunes for windows.

Microsoft does the same poo poo -- Windows code was ported for Office on Mac and, in the case of SQL Server on Linux, they just shipped the Windows dlls.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

wrt sql server: shipping binaries that are platform independent seems like a very reasonable approach.
If by "platform independent" you mean "depend on Win32 and NT syscalls," then yes.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

emoji posted:

My dad made a VBA program like 10 years ago that's directly responsible for optimizing over a billion dollars a year in gasoline blending operations at the refinery he works at taking into account tanks, barges, daily unit performance, market prices of intermediates, etc. Its core depends on Solver. The only programming language he knows is VB6 and he recently called me to ask how to split a string. If he dies suddenly they're hosed and people like Honeywell who are supposed to be the experts in these kinds of things have nothing suitable to replace it

AspenTech sells gas blending software for this. Don't talk to Honeywell. They're clowns.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

you can also write in whatever language and expose it via com and then do the wiring in vba.

lol

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

I’m surprised we haven’t heard about design problems in the new Apple campus yet

Actual design problem -- the campus's reflection of Apple's corporate values.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Agile Vector posted:

this is all office coffee

Nah. My office's automatic cappuccino/espresso machine makes a great americano.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

cis autodrag posted:

Put moisturizer in my hands before working today and it somehow killed the I key on my touchbar Mac book. Rip me until they replace it I guess.

Do Apple employees not get desktops?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Stymie posted:

if an engineer came to steve with the ipencil he would have done the joker disappearing pencil trick with them

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Going to be hilarious when Samsung and Microsoft launch folding phones and Tim blindly copies 'em.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

microsoft already tried this, but nobody cared.

They still are. They've been trying it for at least the last decade, under various leaders and with varying strategies. Nothing has come of it and nothing ever will.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

tk posted:

I think “POS Wedding” is what my wedding dj was playing.

A wedding dj should be given a script with a specific playlist for the entire event and explicit instructions not to say one loving word.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

infernal machines posted:

wouldn't it be cheaper just to use an ipod?

Yes, where possible. Note that you'll need somebody to push the buttons.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

rjmccall posted:

i want an easily-maintainable server farm full of cheap buildslaves that can be legally licensed to run macos

Even Microsoft has this in VSTS, so it's probably not that big a deal.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Jimmy Carter posted:

the one extremely underrated thing about AirPods is that the pairing process is better than literally everything else on the market

headphone jack pairing process is pretty fuckin easy.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Linguica posted:

Ethernet jack pairing process is pretty fuckin easy.

Agreed. Wifi is overrated.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

I read his thread. it feels like he’s making valid points but when you go back and think about it he hasn’t really said anything. it’s all just gum flapping with no insights and no actionable ideas.

Mostly just expressing amazement at the ability of a large tech company to have a plan at all. Imagine working at Microsoft under this guy and Windows 8 sort of explains itself.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

The Apple LoamPod. It's just a white polycarbonate container with rounded corners, full of dirt. $499.00

LoamPod Edition for $1499 comes with Macintosh apple seeds

Best part is that apple seeds are worthless because the seed won't grow the same fruit.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

so what is going to happen when there is a moderate earth quake

Imagine hundreds of Apple engineers crawling over broken glass in pitch black.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

cis autodrag posted:

There's a rumor that his Parkinsons is from doing crazy tainted come in the 80s, in which case maybe it's funny?

No... no, that's definitely not funny in the least. What the gently caress?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

akadajet posted:

just read that apple is making earpods water proof next year so they don't get ruined when they fall off into the toilet.

the russians used a cord

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

THC posted:

airbuds are probably the coolest thing apple has released since iphone 4 tbh

Which is to say that Apple hasn't released anything cool in years

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Just buy desktops anyway, since that's clearly the use case.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

rjmccall posted:

every 32gb laptop is a big clunker because intel literally doesn't make mobile chipsets that support that much memory. they've been promising to do it for years and repeatedly failing. so a laptop with 32gb is running with a desktop chipset and trying its best to make do

They're just using them as desktops so it doesn't matter how big and clunky they are.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Office for Mac.
Visual Studio Code.
Visual Studio for Mac.
Skype.
PowerShell.
Sql Operations Studio.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

rjmccall posted:

why are you under the impression that xcode has anything to do with itunes

is it because they use some of the same art

It's because they're both awful.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Timb is just copying Microsoft's Windows on Arm strategy.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

At first I thought that the (PRODUCT) parenthetical was inserted by some tech blogger, but that seems not to be the case. Wow.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I'm a shut-in with little understanding or knowledge of what happens in the real world. But that should be obvious given that I post here.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

apple should buy microsoft and just shut it down except for what they need

How long before Microsoft corporate culture metastasizes and we get the iPhone XP Phone for Apple iOS Phone Devices? I'd give it a year.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

poty posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312

gently caress you tim if i paid 20 bucks for mac os server its because i cant figure out how to set up openvpn on my own

I'm sure both of the users will be absolutely devastated by this news.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

cis autodrag posted:

It has nothing to do with hygiene. My ears are really moisture sensitive and earbuds form too strong a seal directly on the canals. I have to wear ear plugs if I'm going to go underwater while swimming too. Once the moisture builds up it doesn't get out of my ears right and then infection happens. My doctor says like one in five people have this issue to some degree but just deal with the earaches and never go to the doctor.

Do the isopropyl alcohol drops help?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Use the free VSTS mac build agents and let Microsoft janitor the build machines.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

clang is very good

Too bad about literally every other developer tool.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

lol at defending anti-consumer practices of corporate giants

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Just to clarify, since this poo poo is apparently super loving confusing:
(1) Apple does not and should not have to provide warranty repair or replacement for damage caused by a customer. That's not a warranty, that's insurance.
(2) Apple cannot and should not be allowed to disclaim the entirety of their warranty if the customer opens or repairs the computer himself. No, this does not mean Apple should have to fix damage caused by the customer in the process of opening or repairing the computer himself. See (1).
(3) Apple can legally refuse to provide non-warranty repair service to a customer that damaged their computer in the process of opening or repairing it himself, but it's super lovely and anti-consumer because it encourages a manufacturer monopoly on service.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how a refusal of non-warranty repair is a monopoly on service

The policy is designed to punish people who self-repair or use a third party repair service. For example, imagine if GM dealers universally pulled poo poo like saying, "We're not going to fix the suspension damage caused by your accident. We found that the battery in your car was installed by a non-GM authorized service provider."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

“as an engineer I understand why my computer sometimes wakes up quickly and sometimes wakes up slowly so it’s fine” is not an argument that works on Apple product managers.

iPads don’t have this issue, why should laptops? I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to identify the problem and how Apple will fix it

The problem: lovely PMs
The fix: WontFix