Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

getting the maxed out 14", 64 GB RAM with 2 TB, trading in my 2019 16". it's overkill but that's sort of the point. it's so obviously the best computer that's ever been. it's been so long since i've actually been excited about a computer.

i don't understand antinotchers. the entire thing is the menu bar essentially no longer takes up screen space. it's 16:10, plus the menu bar. The screens are actually .2" bigger than their model names because that's the menu bar. it's free real estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

haveblue posted:

did we ever get an answer when someone asked what happens when you move the mouse pointer into the notch

no but i'm betting its just going to pacman across if you're going horizontal, stop hard on the vertical

i have already used up all the youtube hype and i crave more, we should all get into a big gang and chant and burn things or something i dunno

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Perplx posted:

i ended up getting 32gb of ram and 14 gpu cores, i finally realized im way going run a million containers and vms and not play games are edit video

plus 14 cores is only 12.5% less than 16

i was going to do this and be reasonable but some quick activity monitor staring told me that no, at 32 GB I still have memory pressure and swap going on even just (very bloaty) webdev workload and I want to do some UE and some blendies and logic and final cut so

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

oh word? so they're cool with letting you just lose your cursor behind the notch or does it have a gimmick like it's too big?

i guess they could do something like scale the cursor up like in wiggle mode or glow the notch or something dumb like that

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Perplx posted:

well 64gb is out of the question for me unless i sell every other computer i own, and a kidney

you're going to be over the moon, no question

i am not trying to make you feel bad about your excellent, well-reasoned decision, i am loudly rationalising my emotional one while also low key bragging that i have more disposable income and/or tax deduction thirst than you but in a self aware way so it makes it more socially acceptable somehow?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

hey awesome they’re shipping an api so that you can opt in to going full screen with the notch space. that’s good news.

the battery stuff is a little worrying otoh, but I usually have my iPad Pro on me and I’m for sure getting hyperjuice’s new combined charger battery so between that I’m sure it will be more than fine

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Achmed Jones posted:

ha well we'll see i guess. i hope you're right. and that they aso dont take a chunk out of video. just make it go black!

yeah apple has released developer/design documentation on the notch.

https://twitter.com/settern/status/1450208760270446594?s=20

unless app developers opt in, full screen doesn't get notch, just like on iphone (legacy apps/websites, not video).

basically the notch doesn't use up your screen, instead, you should think about it like 'hide menu bar' is turned on but you can still see the menu bar because they have added an ancillary screen like the touch bar but to put the menu bar on it. the notch doesn't mean that the screen real estate they added is compromised, it means that you get the screen real estate back that the menu bar has been stealing from you these past long years ya dig

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah if you add space you get more space

this is a tricky concept i know but keep at it

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

they'll pull out another adjective from their history, Extreme to stay on brand or Power if they want people to feel the fuzzies and since it has to be used plugged in

they will probably use that in the next version of the "mac pro" because it won't be like a mac pro at all since i doubt they're going to do expansion cards and its getting too complicated. Mac Extreme or powerMac. If it's powerMac expect a rainbow case

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 20, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

they finally made a hole small enough for michael dell to gently caress

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

spatial audio is pretty wild sometimes, I was watching the keynote in bed on my iPad Pro with my airpod pros in so as not to wake up the gf and I had to keep taking my earbuds out to check that the sound wasn’t coming out of the speakers

in truth the actual point of it is it’s part of apple’s gradual socially acceptable AR project that has been ongoing for more than a decade. watch is a glanceable display, transparency mode and special audio is audio-based AR, AirTags are object tracking and detection and the lidar they put on the phones are for environment scanning. folks get all worked up about headsets but they are actually pretty unnecessary. with a bit more time you could easily imagine the current set of stuff doing stuff like making things around the house sound like they’re dinging when they need attention even if they don’t have anything to ding, or having your shopping list items call out to you as you walk past the aisle.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

neither that’s just been by pet theory I will shout at anyone who is listening. useful ar is just an extension of a philosophy that Apple has been going on about since 2000 when it was called ubiquitous or invisible technology.

any watch lets you know the time whenever right - you can know the time any time wherever you are with the slightest intention. ar - good ar - is that, carefully and slowly crafted with the consent and buyin of the world around you for about two dozen individual things. right now AirTags will beep and you can find your keys. tomorrow they could beep virtually with your AirPods on and you can still find your keys but without letting everyone in the office know you lost them. if you aren’t literally trying to murder someone general on the street AR’s only social good is to prevent you from making such an arse out of yourself all the loving time. not to spy on people and take creepy pictures without people noticing.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

remember aeroplanes?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jonny 290 posted:

i wish they had super transparency mode. give me 10 db of gain. i want owl ears

this is a thing called conversation boost, here's how to turn it on since apparently you don't pore though every keynote and release note for hours and hours like a regular person

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

12” was my first properly good computer. def looking to recapture some of that magic with the 14. waiting is pain

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

akadajet posted:

idc if it's a real place "big sur" is the silliest os name

Android Ice Cream Sandwich
OS/2 Warp 3
Plan 9 from Bell Labs

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

also lets not forget that puma, mountain lion and panther are all different names for the exact same species, Puma concolor

so that's pretty silly

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

help when i put a too many things in a thing i run out of space and i cant see all my things in the thing any more someone call the cops

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

even if that camera was remotely usable, that has less screen real estate than the new pros because the notch means they add on more space to the top. pro = 16:10 screen + menu bar - notch. also lol windows

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jenny Agutter posted:

this is definitely worth defending

that also happens on non notched macs. there is no contingency in macOS for cramming your menu bar with too many menus and status bar items. it has never been a problem for normal people even on the 11”.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

butt dickus posted:

the xps15 has a 3840x2400 screen but everyone cares more about webcam quality right

nice try michael dell no one cares about your craptops for drones. maybe try adding a notch

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

oh you’re specifically against things being hidden behind a notch, not things being hidden in general? uh, why?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Celexi posted:

guys I have a radical Idea how about we just use the stuff we like without making it into some weird religion, like my desk currently has an iphone and a pixel and there hasn't been a cataclysmic explosion yet,

the stuff we “like”? listen pal no one really likes computers, they’re objectively terrible wastes of time, but some people get good at them because it feels good to be good at things and then they don’t want to stop so they trick people into using those things for their business and government and relationships even though it only makes everything worse so now you can’t stop being good at computers or you starve to death

another thing that feels good is hunting the notchless who betray the pure light of steve

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jenny Agutter posted:

generally when things ar ehidden there is some indication like a little '...' item. we see this everywhere. but apparently things can just be covered by the notch

as I said there is no contingency in mac for this behaviour, no …, no nothing because out of the box this never happens. the notch just makes it happen 10% sooner. and the 11” has so much less real estate than the 14” with the notch and that’s also fine and has always been fine. so it’s definitely a deficiency of the os but it isn’t new and it also doesn’t affect anyone who isn’t trying to make it happen.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah it’s more clipboard clip rather than the iPhone’s devil horns.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think that’s just how their users hands are

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

if the notch literally murdered children i'd still prefer it, thats a great addition

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yospos is so low volume though. how is a bloke supposed to procrastinate without a torrent of garbage to react to

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

other things you can do in the dark instead of computer:
- jack it
- fold your shirts
- meditate
- podcast‽
- hail satan

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

- hurt my feelings

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i was referencing the notch containment barrier being broken by widget items, but not the menu entries

well the notch containment barrier is just a wall of m&ms it’s not very high sec

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

https://www.raycast.com/ has been extremely needs-suiting lately

it's early days still, but the cmd-space screen is actually useful which is a nice twist. if you have a meeting about to start, it will have it preselected for you, and the primary (enter) action is to open up the call in zoom or whatever it is. it also has some deep integration into a bunch of poo poo, it's neat

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the notch would be fine if the concomitant area were always black, and just used for a properly working menubar, instead of requiring users to enable this on a per-app basis through a properties checkbox. this is the "tesla windshield wipers hidden in a submenu" of apple

that checkbox is just a temporary compat thing for apps with too many menus for users with too many status items. how you described it is exactly how it works except that it’s not always black unless you make the top of your wallpaper black or use one of those apps floating around

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

tim made the best laptop ever, a tiny, beautiful workstation with a screen with a set of features you can’t even buy anywhere else, that sips power silently, and gave you extra screen for your menu bars that you dont even have to use, that's trivial to make vanish, that gives you a very good webcam, in a world where they are suddenly very important. zero compromises unless the user voluntarily and repeatedly crawls into the most useless lovely HID-breaking CJ-vomit they can find.

and a tiny vocal section of violent homophobes lose their goddamn minds

this is exactly why they have so many hoops to do sideloading on iOS btw. because if apple ever gives them an sharp enough edge those shrieking bigots will stab themselves in the eye and scream "someone help, apple is stabbing me in the eye"

they only apply this to apple. this is because these violent homophobes know three things:
1. tim cook is gay and michael dell and GPT-3 and xi are not
2. apple are the heroes, who must be held to a higher standard, like the avengers
3. in their hearts they have accepted that they are evil and must destroy all good things

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 30, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

found out that the model i ordered (14" with everything maxed out except 2 TB SSD) was available to just pick up from the apple store so I don't have to wait two weeks more and I scammed $500 off too. i was going to trade my old 16" in too but I'll flip it instead so that's even cheaper. so pro tip if you're waiting, check for pickup availability

this thing is amazing, it genuinely feels futuristic in a way apple's stuff hasn't been in a long time. the notch rules, it makes me happy every time I see it, which is almost never

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

holy poo poo you guys you can run Awful.ipa right on here this is amazing

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah things can't definitionally be overpriced and also sold out that's not how economics works. i see scalpers scaling it for like $70, meaning their price of $30 is an insane deal, essentially charity. once again apple proves themselves too good for this world

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

mediaphage posted:

the most tech shame i've felt was buying an iphone from an apple store

they had apple retail employees standing out in the mall congratulating people for buying an iphone

honestly felt disgusting lol

its fine to feel modest but you did actually do the right thing. you were smarter and braver than many people, and now you're more attractive. environmentally, socially, globally and personally you're way ahead of the pack. congratulations, mediaphage, and welcome

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Clark Nova posted:

if apple reintroduced a wifi router today it would cost $800

i bet apple's networking strategy is closer to amazon's than anyone else's.

right now they've made an pretty insane mesh network, the Find My network. it's still in the early stages but it turns every apple device into a mesh node for finding poo poo and its one of the biggest networks on the planet. there's a lot of technical challenges with making one that could serve data directly on, but they have a lot of money and a lot of engineers and it's a cool project. your iphone and your apple tv and your mbp and your homepod are your mesh routers, so are your neighbour's and their neighbours, all the way to an apple store or apple node or muni wifi or whatever. free encrypted p2p internet for every apple device everywhere, gently caress the carriers, gently caress the isps, gently caress the feds. if your friend down the street has fibre, they can friend you, and then your chain just has to go down the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Last Chance posted:

hell yeah bring back leather apps please

agreed. when skeu was big town phones had like a thousandth the resolution and a thousandth of the colour gamut. on modern screens textures would look so amazing and real but no-one's using them, just white on black like it's eink