Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
bookmarked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

i wanna know how you’re meant to use apple
ids coz right now all the devices in the house are the same id

i get the vibe that you have an id per person and use family sharing between ids??
idk

yes, a separate apple ID per person

Linguica posted:

I will never understand why they went from black to space gray

do you remember the tempest in a teacup that occurred when the anodization started wearing off the ~Chamfered Edges~ fairly quickly after the iPhone 5 came out, and all the other hullabaloo from people who didn't know what anodization was?

that's why.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
poo poo, why did I not know that ecchi is divorced?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
remember that one goon who was living in his ex-wife’s spare bedroom or whatever so he could stay close to his kids, who then went on to post pics of himself in his underwear while holding guns?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

then those skinflints should turn off cellular data

if i've got it enabled switch the gently caress over already

go into settings, go to cellular, and turn on WiFi assist

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
coming to the MacBook Pro 2018: the Function Bar

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
bad EM shielding.

in the case of that lovely LG monitor, AFAIK it only happened if the WiFi router was near the monitor. like if you had them both sitting on your desk.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah but only for like 3 or 6 months or some poo poo if you live in USA

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I almost paid full price for an X until I saw the $30 upgrade fee and decided that was simply a bridge too far on a $1071 phone. I’ll wait until these features filter down to the poor people iPhones.

LOL rule 36 bitxh

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

I still think installing macOS on a desktop PC is the best option for mac on the desktop. Unless you really like the design of the iMac. I don't.

This site is pretty good for showing which parts are compatible (even though they are amazon referral links) https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2017/

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

"whoa" --neo, the red pill forums

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

try quickly typing 1+2+3 on ios11 stock calculator

[img-hello_welcome_to_last_week.jpg]

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
does this mean john fireball and phillip k schiller are no longer friends?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH hobbyist press
NOW youtuber IS BEST FRIEND

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

those people who need a complete 17 part technical breakdown of the new iphone are definitely going to buy samsung anroids now because they had to wait an extra couple of days to get some nerds discourse on the individual camera sensors

bad move, apple

gruber is probably really disappointed that john siracusa doesn’t do his 25-page reviews of each macOS release anymore.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
this isn’t handing them a full 3D map of your face AFAIK. it’s still a stupid thing to have, though, and is definitely going to undermine confidence in apple’s privacy promises, but it isn’t any more capable of being used for identification than 2D images already were.

it also speaks to apple’s overconfidence in their review process and blindness to its weaknesses, and their own uneven track record in enforcing their own rules and catching violators.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

dsyp

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
walp

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I’m glad they said how to pronounce “Qi” in the keynote so we do t have to suffer through John Fireball and Marco Overcast shakily mispronouncing it.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL what kind of marble mouths can’t be understood by Siri?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL if one kilodollar is several months rent for you

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
cinci zoo sniper lives in latvia

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL My rear end Off if you willingly give Facebook information about where you’re going etc

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

IDGI

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the dumbest way of saying ski mask?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
why did the ios 11.1.1 update disappear from settings.app on my phone timb whyyyyyy

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL

edit: needs more spikes

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, on-device updates are delta updates, so it only sends a binary diff of changes to apply. if that got corrupted, or the change was applied incorrectly, welp, good luck.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
cryhard marco overcast is still whining about not being apple's target market, i see.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mean it only took Apple 4 versions to get a decent design out of iOS 7

I hope they get at least one more version in before they run out of side projects to distract Jony Ive with and he comes back and ruins iOS again.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
is john fireball still trying to pivot to being a youtuber just so he can still get new iPhones a week before everybody else?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

well how much cash do you have then

I LOLed

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
if only stebe hadn’t butt chugged all that cancer

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
continuing to increase the number of regressions with each successive release

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
hair force one continuing his tradition of more regressions and pants-on-head-stupid bugs in iOS and macOS.

you know, because every iOS release was flawless under forstall and every OS X release was flawless under serlet.

(but seriously, it does seem like a lot of dumbass poo poo is making it into the releases these days)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

i've still never been to or seen a single store that accepts apple pay other than a starbucks

rite aid and walgreens both take apple pay

hell, the little hole-in-the-wall grocery store in my little town of less than 3000 people in western colorado takes apple pay. if they can do it then there's no excuse for other stores not to.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im the whooshing assumption that apple pay is available in latvia, country where you can not legally create a sony playstation network account

yes, we get it, latvia is a weird, edge case country, but that has nothing to do with apple pay.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what paypal has done to operate normally here, for example, is get a full banking licence

paypal probably had to get a banking license (and should have to have one everywhere) because they act like a bank, not just a payment system provider.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that was in reply to a post complaing about starbucks being the only point accepting apple pay, not being technically capable to accept apple pay, so i inferred the practical use, not technical possibility

in the USA, contactless cards themselves are rare, and EMV/chip card payments are relatively new. the only places that don't take apple pay are ones that don't take contactless payments at all or that have gone out of their way to not work with Apple Pay, like Wal Mart.

so Phoenixan was probably commenting more that there are still places in Utah that don't take contactless payments, because any retailer that can accept contactless payments can accept apple pay. hell, i remember reading about how when apple pay came out it Just Worked at Rite Aid, which caused Rite Aid to panic and totally shut off contactless payments at their registers because they were participating in a competing payment system (they later turned contactless payments back on).

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

:ironicat:

how do you not get this?

they only just got ST:TNG in latvia. he must not've gotten to that episode yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, I wonder how many of those IoT locks can be mechanically defeated using the same techniques you’d use to pick a regular lock. don’t they all have a regular key as a backup in case power goes out or whatever?