Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i normally sleep from 10-12pm to 6am every day and it works fine. sometimes i just have morning flights that see me waking up around 3-4am, and going to bed even earlier is impossible

and no i don’t drink

go to sleep in your clothes. have a trail of alarms 15 ft apart leading from your bed to the car that are set to go off 10s after each other. you’re welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I just wish that any cell phone company would let me split my data cap among as many devices as I want without having to pay 40% more for every additional device I have

if I want to glue a tablet in my car that I only use for maps and music for a total of 300 megabytes per month, why the gently caress can't I use some of the data that I don't use on my cell phone

I heard comcast has something like that where you can put your phone on your cable plan... but i dunno and comcast is poo poo so... that's it?

Verizon let's you combine your accounts so you can use the same login to fios and wireless - the future is here

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

bump_fn posted:

is there seriously not a single new apple phone that’s not over one thousand loving dollars is this a joke

I guess I’m gonna get an 8?

the iphone extended release is only 750

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Last Chance posted:

does.. windows even run off an external drive? last i knew it couldnt

ya on a thunderbolt 2 or 3 drive it doesn’t know the difference. there’s also some win 10 version designed to be booted off usb

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

learn how to quickly force reboot your phone, it’s the best option at this point.

or just don’t use Touch ID or Face ID?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

The Puppet Master posted:

for how many days will i be without my precious se if I go in for a battery swap?

about 45 minutes

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Doc Block posted:

probably the base model quad core with aftermarket RAM. i may bump it up to 256GB SSD, but will probably have external storage anyway since I don’t wanna spring for apple’s 1TB SSD, no matter how much faster it is.

the quad core with its higher per-core clockrate is definitely gonna be better than the 6 core for most people, for now. dunno how much worse an i3 is gonna be than an i5, though.

I thought i3 didn’t support hyperthreading but i5 do?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

infernal machines posted:

nope 8th gen only the i7 supports hyper-threading

e: never mind, their product brief says no, but the CPU product page for specific models says some do so, IDK

no you’re right. I checked on intels site and the 8500b for the i5 has no hyperthreading.

interestingly the i3 only actually can support ram speeds of 2400 not 2666 but that’s pretty much irrelevant.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah its very good. also wrt diablo mobile its kind of a no brainer since theres like 5 people who would care about a diablo 4 and hearthstone has proven people will pay money for a bad mobile entertainment app.

I thought diablo 3 was the best selling computer game of all time?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

among pc games, it's beaten out by minecraft and pubg

among all video games, doesn't even crack the top 10

e: diablo 3 all plaforms, 30 million. minecraft 154 million

oh yeah I was just thinking of pc. guess it’s 3rd. drat Minecraft is insane

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

went on a couple dates with this really cute girl but she is a filthy green texter and I don’t know how to handle it

buy her an Xs maxi for a 1 month gift

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

THC posted:

in Canada you basically have to get on a retention plan, or you know someone in business sales at the telco who can put you on a fake corporate plan, or grab one of the specials that come out before Christmas. It's fairly reasonable if you can wrangle that. The "in-market" plans they list online are for bozos who don't know what's up.

dude I think it may be racist to refer to the entire Canadian population that way

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i bought one

and no you won’t ever see me using it

tbh I actually really like it, it just serves no purpose

same. bought one and thought hell maybe I’ll start drawing.

nope.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

it’s good that 90s apple is back but this time they have enough money to do stupid poo poo for a. 100 years and not go bankrupt

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

FMguru posted:

apple is reportedly mulling issuing its own credit card (partnering with goldman sachs, natch)

apple services revenue, soon to include 27.4% apr interest on revolving credit

it would be very surprising if apple kept the liability on their books. they’d partner with a bank for that.

I could see them eventually get into developing their own lending arm especially since in 3 years phones are going to cost $3k with a 1.5 year life span.

I want an Apple mortgage that is 3% over market rate because it’s printed on very high quality paper

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

FMguru posted:

that actually makes sense

also, apple can bump slowing unit growth by financing iphones for people who really want one but cant quite afford one

its a twofer, because you get 1) another phone sold and 2) a recurring revenue source from the poor sucker trapped in debt peonage

yeah - they do it a bit but I could really see them focus there.

Tim will not be satisfied until every June they announce new iPhones and everyone puts them on 6 month layaway for Christmas presents

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

You can disable secure boot to boot linux... but afaik there is still no driver to communicate with the nvme so you can't install it on the internal drive. you have to boot linux from an external drive.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

macos x is already a linux tho

you’ll find it’s actually a big swinging dick

sorry for signing post

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

you can just tap no long press needed but I did learn if you just press the dial button once it auto pastes.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

the opening bit will be a montage video of Timb and James cordon doing a carpool karaoke road trip or something equally lame.

ceos in cars negotiating with fascists

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

what former soft drink company ceos are available these days? maybe jeremy fowden wants a crack at this

poach samsungs ceo and lets get more iphone skus going. maybe he will bring back the se

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Last Chance posted:

put the tiny phone in my tiny hands tim

iPhone TE - trump edition

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/iphone/20950116/

I sense a lot of frustration in that first paragraph, and lol at the second

WhatsApp is a piece of poo poo is the more accurate statement but I don’t think they’d admit that on their own site.

probably because Facebook is intervening to scrape the message for data to collect

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

average life expectancy for the deaf is 16 years due to cars

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple applying this to hardware is bad enough but applying it to software is the real crime

the itunes replacement is going to go the same way the quicktime replacement did: the new version will have one third the features and if you relied on the other two thirds, you're out of luck

(they're probably just going to marzipan-ify the ios music app, i hope you don't like smart playlists or sorting your music in different ways)

there is no feasible way they can make iTunes worse

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

pram posted:

they have the courage to make it worse year after year

can't innovate my rear end

lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

The Thinkpad T series has all of those things that you want, plus a trackpoint aka G-d's mouse

if god uses a trackpoint, explains why he botched your body so badly during creation

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

what?

when were they ever?

I don’t think it was phoning home but I do recall some BIOS stuff that was going on

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150812/11395231925/lenovo-busted-stealthily-installing-crapware-via-bios-fresh-windows-installs.shtml

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I’m the thunderbolt 3 ports that support thunderbolt 4

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Fiedler posted:

note that if microsoft were apple they would just declare winforms deprecated and release an os update that kills all winform apps

it would literally make the world a better place if they did

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

My laptop which is the same thickness as a Macbook has a full sized hdmi port and a docking port and a USB c port so I can hook up like 4 monitors with zero issue why can't macks do that

lol

it's the latest driver from lenovo. it just does not include the metro app which is what i need.

There is no way to adjust trackpoint sensitivity, only speed. I can adjust track pad sensitivity, but not track point sensitivity

It's really goddamn weird/stupid but i have no other choice but to use this windows app store app that it won't let me download

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

so with the t2 chip i guess that means storage isn't user replacable (besides external storage)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

pram posted:

it clearly has 2 sata ports and also the pcie slots you might have not noticed (which can hold nvme storage jfyi)

oh nice, although i suppose you'd have to keep the 256gb as the boot drive? maybe not, since I think on the mbp it just doesn't allow you to use the keyboard/trackpad/camera, but if you plug in an external it works.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I’m not a believer that Apple is out to save everyone or whatever. they’re still a profit driven company therefore can’t be trusted, BUT it’s a million times better than google or Facebook owning the SSO process across websites so it’s a step in the right direction.

it looks like with the new Catalina they’re even making it so a stolen computer is completely worthless like they did with iPhone which is good.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

what are the advantages of the 6k $6000 Apple monitor as compared to the 8k $3900 dell monitor?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I have a nuc I play around with. I’ve never had any problems but dunno if I’m just lucky.

I will say the graphic card (despite being amd) with the six core i7 + user upgradable ram + a Samsung ssd means it was ultra cheap to build (less than 1500?) while out performing the Mac mini.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

do you think Tim will be able to make his nut at the Catalina wine mixer

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

can I buy the stand alone to upgrade my current monitors stand?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is what it does if you try to boot from usb.

I used to have a 2011 iMac with a similar problem. my trying to remember is it was something with the efi. I think I installed refit or whatever it was called back in the day and it worked. it’s probably easier just to buy a dvd and burn it though don’t 2010 have an internal drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

also worth noting that while it's "possible" to install windows natively, without bootcamp, that may or may not result in a functional install because apple has a bunch of special snowflake versions of things that windows will repeatedly try to install generic drivers for, which will not work.

you can get the boot camp drivers and install them still without doing the boot camp process