Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm surprised macbook air is in "neutral". did that get some silent cpu update or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

poty posted:

ive gotten into st vincents music quite a bit this week with all the media hype for the new cd

is her beats one radio show any good
i listened to the first few and it's p cute how she talks with the people and she plays a wide variety of music, so it's not necessarily stuff that will sound like her music.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Iíve heard of this carpool karaoke show that Apple bought but I canít find it on the Apple TV?

I mean which section is it? Siri finds episodes but which section does Apple use to hold their original content
it's in apple music, right where you would expect a show

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

just the Apple Watch by itself overtook Rolex this year to become the number one watch maker in the world by revenue.

who cares?
apple is the most profitable PC maker by far, despite only selling a fraction of world wide sales
apple is the most profitable phone maker by far, despite only selling a fraction of world wide sales
apple is the most profitable tablet maker by far, ...
apple is the most profitable wearable/smartwatch maker by far, ...

Rolex and the other Swiss brands may be more profitable. they definitely donít sell as many units as Apple does. but Apple doesnít sell anywhere near the number of Casio terrorist watches that are sold worldwide.

if analysts are to be believe (i know), apple has a strong majority share of the smartwatch segment, and the largest share of the wearable segment as a whole (though nowhere a majority). as it turns out, no one actually wants android watches

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

google engineer doesnít understand how permissions or app store vetting works, generates clickbait fodder for a billion headlines

https://twitter.com/krausefx/status/923210131889942528

meanwhile it took google 8 years to allow granular permissions at all. want a flashlight app? well, you have to give it an internet connection and access to your contacts and dialer so it can send all your data to their ad server!

also lol that he singles out ios when android can do the exact same thing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

have you considered a kindle op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i deal with faa pretty frequently at work and they are incredibly conservative and reluctant to make even the most minor changes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

so i went to the apple store for the first time in a while the other day and it's devolved into a total poo poo show

they seem to have ditched the genius bar, and all the tables are now used to teach geriatrics how to use iphoto

(👴: EXCUSE ME ARE YOU HERE FOR THE CLASS? THESE TABLES ARE FOR THE CLASS)

there's some... cubes?

and you can sit on those, no classes in the uncomfortable cube area

so you end up wandering around looking for a blueshirt who isn't trying to upsell soccer moms on a macbook bro to use for facebook to "check you in" because again, there's no literal genius bar.

then you sit on a cube, then someone comes to take your iphone in the back for an hour to gentle caress it replace the battery and the whole business gets repeated when you return

i was at the one at tyson's and it seemed the same as ever. big ol genius bar, tables for classes and such, etc.

i guss the clarendon one renovated and may be more like you're saying but i only went there once

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

marco was whining about it on twitter, too.

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/925039127439052806

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xaris posted:

what happened to the iphone 9

7 ate 9 :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fordan posted:

Well, as of the 25th Gruber was saying he's not used FaceID, it seems like some embargo lifted today with the number of posts, and they usually give reviewers a week with the device if I remember correctly, so....

as much as he might want to believe otherwise, gruber's not really high-profile enough to get review units. he's in the ATP-level where they get their stuff the same as everyone else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

i went to get an iphone 8 and as soon as i walked in someone took my name down and told me to go browse and someone would find me. then they found, me i told them what i wanted, and 60 seconds later i was walking out with a phone

the layout is retarded though, giant 30' square tables with like 18" of product on it
this has continued to be my experience except during big product launches when they have limited workers available for non-new product sales

Jimmy Carter posted:

download the Apple store app, grab one off the shelf, scan it with your phone, walk out, never talk to anyone
this, too, except that there's a maximum item value you can do this with, and i'm not entirely sure what it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol what is qualcomm even doing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

just popping in to say the gruber meltdown is rad

i hope apple just keeps inviting youtubers to things instead of him and he goes crazy over it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

lol does this just gently caress other people over or what

yeah lol

also thurott is reporting the face id being bad rumor as fact despite every reviewer saying it works at least as well as touch id

on a slightly positive note, he is at least saying it's bad because kinect was bad, in a rare admission that something ms did was bad

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 1, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah in his first-day review he mentioned that apple says it works best 10-20 inches from your face and then says he usually holds it further away than that. like, does he walk around holding his phone at arm's length all the time?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

can you still defeat face ID with a photo of yourself?

unsurprisingly, that's the first thing everyone has tried, and no. apple isn't samsung.

but you can defeat it with your triplet, so make sure you don't have one of those you're unaware of

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

on his podcast john fireball said that he didn't think it was a problem if a twin can unlock your phone, because identical twins trust each other and probably know each other's PINs anyway.

yeah they have twin telepathy obvs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

whole loadda those things got stolen

surely apple knows what serial numbers on what truck and can prevent those phones from being activated at all?

they probably don't know right now, but it's easily traceable, at which point they will just blacklist the imeis and that'll be that. they'll just be used for parts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

does it work when the keyboard ios out

yeah. they put a gap between the bottom of the keyboard and the bottom of the screen which is oddly unsightly, but is more comfortable to use than putting it all the way at the bottom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

emoji posted:

For me it doesn't even work for timers. Well it does but acts like it doesn't and will add a bunch of steps to replace it if you ask again. Every time.

update your phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What exactly was the purpose of the virtual home button on the iPhone 7/8 and then just switching to gestures on the X? Is this just some scheme to increase market share in places where the home buttons were expensive or almost impossible to replace & having a virtual one or no home button at all meant more people would buy iPhones? I once read somewhere that people in China and some markets would use Assistive Touch to avoid putting too much stress on the home button.

the latter is true, but it is almost certainly a cost measure. a button costs more than not a button. also not a button is more reliable than a button

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

ive read a lot about latvia, their ruler is a real maniac but he was actually moved to tears on 9/11

latvia is not latveria

trap sprung

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Facebook loving sucks so I hope this is a feature

it is. they took out fb and twitter syncing in ios 11.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm the faceos - one of the four operating systems apple will have to support

it would be the fifth actually:
macos
ios
watchos
tvos
faceos

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ufarn posted:

honest question, how do i do the screen split and 2/3 + 1/3 in ios 11 on my ipad?

they changed the way it works and i can't figure it out for the life of me

swipe up to bring up the dock, grab the icon of the app you want to add, drag it over to the side you want it on

e: https://youtu.be/22XziO3t6KY

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 8, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

at least we know why shaggar elected lepage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that glitch is immortalized in thousands of random tweets now

https://mobile.twitter.com/leannuh_renay/status/929936712863797248

e: poo poo, looks like twitter is retroactively fixing it on their end now, i guess they can get poo poo done when it doesn't involve nazi bots

i saw this before your edit and was really confused what you were trying to illustrate there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the funny thing here is that they just upsized the x size and couldn't even be bothered to keep the notch the same size on them all, which is more likely

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it seems like awhile since things like nest and android watches exist

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

im the secondary LED flash left on the phone for some reason

clone tool is hard

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

do you guys remember when apple changed the scroll direction for no goddamn good reason at all? alienating people who have to switch between windows and mac on the reg?

dang if only those handful of people could adjust this somehow

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

probably platform convergence; it matches the 'natural' scrolling of a touchscreen. i remember creatives not liking it either, and there being no setting, so i had to use a little app to reverse it

now it feels fine, but idk windows scrolling doesnt confuse me when i switch devices

there's been a setting since literally the day they launched it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

yeah wtf. someone created a "little app" to reverse the scrolling? they must have felt dumb when they found the "Scroll Direction" checkbox in the mouse/trackpad settings.
tbf i downloaded an app that let me have natural scrolling on the touchpad but regular scrolling on a mouse wheel, since it's extremely unnatural to do the mouse that way, and as far as i can tell, macos doesn't let you have separate settings which is dumb

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

what app? logitech options does it for my mx master but only for that mouse, doesn't work for other mice

i don't remember waht it's called since it stopped working in like sierra

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is that the white plastic mac with round corners ?

no, they were metal

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

didn't you know? every time you update your iphone it become half as fast as the previous update. enough updates and you won't be able to use it at all which is how crapple forces you to buy a new phone. i saw this on fox news so it must be true

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

god yes. honestly ios 6 outside of the skeuomorphic stuff was my favorite look. visually interesting without being distracting.

it's really loving ugly if you actually look at it today

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

Is there even another 4 inch smartphone that you can buy new today or have android manufacturers completely abandoned the form factor

e: i just checked Verizon's website for "up to 4.5" screen" and it's the SE and 9 flipphones

there's a handful, but they're universally garbage.

for just $40 you can buy a blu advance a4 and have all your data sent to china! http://a.co/bdIsXD3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

what happened to cremnob

posted bad