Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

switchable options in the settings, the way samsung does it on their phones, you want to preserve your battery, you can limit your CPU's performance to 70%. You want maximum performance, we made a performance mode available so that you can enjoy your device to the fullest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
weird how the lisp machine is dead last

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Mr. Graham: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. Graham: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. Graham: Macros.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
would folks want to be informed of every dvfs transition? or just the option to pin it to Pn?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the autocoffes in my building were down/out, gotta find an icup technician when i get back

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m imagining the architect yelling at the engineering contractor to just make it work goddamnit and not to change one bit of his beautiful design

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is pretty interesting to see someone thinking that there is a country in the world *other* than china doing quality control on consumer electronics

... yes?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you cant stop using i! ULL regret this!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

sick of reading my small screen in bed. should i fetch an ipad air 2 or the new unnamed ipad

have u tried a hammock

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ah yes, this one feature was done in the 90's with a dedicated unit 8x the size of the products we're talking about, therefore it could be done with marginal space now. rock solid theory here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is not independently powered pens that somehow enables quality pressure sensitivity

cool, maybe use an argument that supports that conclusion instead of specious garbage?? idk im not the one making claims

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

r u ready to WALK posted:

But really though why doesn't any of these smart speakers support lineout and hooking up to a proper hifi

I bet it would be really helpful to filter out voice commands from advertisements and videos too if the smart speaker knew about the audio going through your surround receiver
idgi, how does line out help it know

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 17, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the one apple watch complaint i don't get is about wrist wake, just turn it off and mash buttons if you find the look-at-my-watch gesture so mortifying?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

not being able to do the most obvious thing of scrolling through your phone music on it just felt like a huge gently caress you from timb
i have a button for this too

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

infernal machines posted:

given the choice between an iot blood glucose meter and one that just integrates with your phone/watch/ipad, i'd definitely prefer the one that doesn't go directly on the internet

friend of mine has one embedded in his abdomen that syncs to a watch complication

we were out at a bar and he pointed to the spike on the chart when he'd started drinking

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

microsoft already tried this, but nobody cared.

lmao, must be a dead space then

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my doctor suggested a take-home oximetry device when i asked about sleep apnea, but yeah MS did it in the 90's and hosed it up so

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

part of not having to think about it is having consistent cues to what is and isn't interface, a color is one way to do that

imo we've gone way too far into "chromeless" ui with phones, too many hidden things behind swipes, long presses, etc. with no hint to the user that this is the case

tbh the twitter "hint" that you should swipe to browse through a moment always throws me off, making me think i swiped when i didnt

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the article itself expands the asterisk to
*Includes iCloud subscription fees, professional software sales and other income, including Google's payment to be the default iPhone search engine.
Note: Apple’s fiscal year ends Sept. 30.
Sources: the company (total revenue); analyst Horace Dediu (Apple services revenue)

unless we're just guessin' to be funny idk whats going on here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
aha, but flicker fusion is higher for uhhh... *checks notes* pigeons, so

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i had a kinect. shouting at netflix gets old fast but i'd still do it when i cba to find the remote

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Don Lapre posted:

doors, garage, ceiling fan, tv

whoa check out mr richie rich over here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
not as funny as i thought

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 22, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i see every apple product within 15 feet, last night the walgreens' cashier was wearing a 42mm series 3 and the guy crossing the street when i walked out had airpods

pls help

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Preview

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
maps is great for checking how long is left on my commute

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Perplx posted:

fails silently

heh

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
when i was working with universal studios, one of the execs complained at length about folks just jamming UNIVERSAL into gps and ending up at their backlot security entrance, gumming up the line and delaying him from getting to work

then 5 minutes later extolling the virtues of waze, "it takes me thru neighborhoods! i avoid traffic magically by just doing exactly what it says and never second guessing it!"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Soricidus posted:

what i really want is a gps app that shuts the gently caress up and only gives me directions when i ask for them, because i really don't need step by step instructions for how to turn into my own driveway. surely siri or w/e could do that? like it knows where i'm going and i can just ask "is this my exit" if i'm not sure

my favorite part of this is taking the natural language processing and moving it from one chunk at the beginning, potentially in a parking lot or otherwise safe and not moving, and smearing it out across the entire drive with the added bonus of road noise and distracting the driver

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ENTREPRENEUR: Huh?
NILAY: (shows his bracelet)
ENTREPRENEUR: Ah! The Bracelet of Irony!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stymie posted:

intel deserves to go out of business for a whole variety of issues, most recently the fact that they did not recall and replace all the processors affected by the meltdown and spectre defects

i kinda thought you'd be making a bigger deal out of intel disclosing spectre/meltdown to china long before anyone else

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
its really not

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you wouldn't get past their receptionist

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

you guys are like macrumors posters, hanging on to a rumor someone made up and getting mad when it doesn’t happen.

The Management posted:

it just needs to run macOS and be easily upgradable.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

something is keeping the gps on. are you a Waze user?

this is louder now tho

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
love too janitor S-states instead of just closing the lid

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i love this thred

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

coke posted:

i would use it but power saver mode seem to do some fuckery with the thread prioritization that crashes or hang apps from time to time, also it's good to get the latest apple SoC and enjoy its max speed instead eg. race to sleep
:allears:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
otoh, flash from 2005 runs better than js from 2015

what a tragedy it would be to lose all those stickman fight scenes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
mine's in a gawdy lenticular case with a big dragon on it, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

coke posted:

yeah for maximum security you disable camera access, notification center and control center so you wont be able to do anything without unlocking the phone first

also disable touchid and faceid while only using a strong alpha numeric+symbol password

wehre did u come from