Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

is the ipad air a real big improvement over the base ipad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BobHoward posted:

i mean there's lots of other differences - faster chip, can record 4K video, better camera, and so forth. op didn't say what they want to use it for so who knows if any of it's significant

Yeah fair enough. I have a pretty good phone camera and don't care about facetime or anything like that so I think the base is p good

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

mediaphage posted:

tapping on the non laminated ipad still feels weird and hollow

also worse especially if you ever want to get a pencil at all imo

i got the base ipad a couple weeks ago mainly for writing on and I do see what you mean

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got the base M1 MacBook Air last week and it's p slick compared to the MBA I got in like 2011. Did you know: computers get better after another decade of development

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 27, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

are old Mac Classics worth anything these days? My parents had one in the 90s and I can check if it still works

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

it kinda blows my mind that Apple is on their fourth architecture for Macs, while DOS/Windows have been running on a glorified 386 for the same amount of time

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

windows nt, at various points, supported Alpha, MIPS, and PowerPC. XP added Itanium. Windows RT started with ARM, as now does mainline Windows. hell, the M1 has helped Windows on ARM because it runs fantastic on it, so more developers are porting tooling to it now because there's actually something worth running it on.

so it's not for lack of trying.

neat, I didn't realize Windows had been tried on so many platforms. has Apple said no way to an official bootcamp for Windows on ARM? it does feel like Bootcamp is sort of a "who cares" feature today though

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

it doesn't come with enough storage, so you can bump it up to 256gb ($100 per added 128gb), 512gb (also $100 per +128gb), 512gb ($100/+128gb), or 1gb ($100/+128gb)

i don't get why customizing these thing is always such a bad deal (in terms of adding more and more markup)

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 1, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

was delighted to see that VS Code has a mac version :hehe:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

big sur comes with python 2.7. are there people still desperately clinging to py2 functionality??

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

always say “eye oss”

"oh ess ex"

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Management posted:

wow, siri misunderstands your edge case just like a real human

idk if Siri is like this but Google Home never ever asks for clarification. it just takes a wild guess about what you might want. not all that convenient

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

weast posted:

are people posting about the epic v apple stuff anywhere or is it too boring

it's epic actually

i thought the testimony about Flash for iOS was kind of interesting. apple put a lot of work into an iOS version but it turns out Lowtax was right about Flash

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

that seems like it would have been a little excusable before windows had good scaling for high dpi resolutions, but these days I run win 10 at 200% scale and it works just fine

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

is the iphone se decent enough? i have a pixel 3a and it's really good for a cheap phone, but I'll be upgrading eventually

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sometimes I am holding my phone while walking and poo poo happens

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

did you see this thing with apple's data centers? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/technology/apple-china-censorship-data.html

quote:

Tim Cook, Apple’s chief executive, has said the data is safe. But at the data center in Guiyang, which Apple hoped would be completed by next month, and another in the Inner Mongolia region, Apple has largely ceded control to the Chinese government.

Chinese state employees physically manage the computers. Apple abandoned the encryption technology it used elsewhere after China would not allow it. And the digital keys that unlock information on those computers are stored in the data centers they’re meant to secure.

...China’s leader, Xi Jinping, is increasing his demands on Western companies, and Mr. Cook has resisted those demands on a number of occasions. But he ultimately approved the plans to store customer data on Chinese servers and to aggressively censor apps, according to interviews with current and former Apple employees.

“Apple has become a cog in the censorship machine that presents a government-controlled version of the internet,” said Nicholas Bequelin, Asia director for Amnesty International, the human rights group. “If you look at the behavior of the Chinese government, you don’t see any resistance from Apple — no history of standing up for the principles that Apple claims to be so attached to.”

While both the Trump and Biden administrations have taken a tougher line toward China, Apple’s courtship of the Chinese government shows a disconnect between politicians in Washington and America’s wealthiest company.

Mr. Cook has been on a charm offensive in China, making frequent, statesmanlike visits and meeting with top leaders. On one trip in 2019, he toured the Forbidden City, met with a start-up and posted about the trip on the Chinese social platform Weibo.

Behind the scenes, Apple has constructed a bureaucracy that has become a powerful tool in China’s vast censorship operation. It proactively censors its Chinese App Store, relying on software and employees to flag and block apps that Apple managers worry could run afoul of Chinese officials, according to interviews and court documents.

A Times analysis found that tens of thousands of apps have disappeared from Apple’s Chinese App Store over the past several years, more than previously known, including foreign news outlets, gay dating services and encrypted messaging apps. It also blocked tools for organizing pro-democracy protests and skirting internet restrictions, as well as apps about the Dalai Lama.

so they're enforcing government rules, which is pretty much what any company has to do but it's pretty onerous in the China context. this is a pretty serious problem for a company saying they care about privacy and civil rights and I dunno what apple can really do about it

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Management posted:

this has nothing to do with labor, it’s about selling in the Chinese market. if you want to sell in any country, you gotta obey the laws. china’s laws are hosed up and bad, and Apple has tried to push back for many years, but realistically their choice was either comply with china’s surveillance state or exit the market.

privacy is not a feature Apple can provide in china. that’s different from taking part in surveilling citizens. the data centers are in government hands, and Chinese customers should know not to expect any privacy on them. the store must censor things to meet laws, but it doesn’t silently put spyware on people’s phones.

in the rest of the world, Apple still tries to protect privacy and user data.

i don't see any special distinction between surveilling a person and accessing private information about him or her. apple would like to draw that line but it seems like a fig leaf. if you can make the app store automatically flag apps about Tibet it seems like it'd be pretty easy to make the phone flag dangerous content too, even if it's not data the user has explicitly agreed to allow tracking. i mean, they want to be in the market and have been willing to compromise quite a bit

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 20, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

i've just never had a reason to upgrade

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

njsykora posted:

its main use case then was exactly the same as it’s use case now, it’s for when you want your kid to have an iOS device but not have a phone

I carried one along with my Razr because smartphones and data plans were really expensive

there were some android mp3/video players too right? dreadful

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sniep posted:

ill transcribe for you

hello youtubers its me, influency mcinfluencer and im back with another detailed product review. Today what i have for you is the gizmo, and boy this is going to be fascinating. i will start off by clumbsily holding the packaging and being unable to open it without tearing at the cardboard. There we go. Now let's read off the bullet list of features. heh heh heh looks like i tore hte feature list so im going to put up a image right here *points to nowhere* with the list. let's see what we got: (no graphic pops up on screen) 1) reading the first bullet point verbatim off the product packaging. 2) reading the second bullet point verbatim off the product packaging. 3) ) reading the third bullet point verbatim off the product packaging. 4) reading the fourth bullet point verbatim off the product packaging. 5) reading the fifth bullet point verbatim off the product packaging. 6) reading the sixth bullet point verbatim off the product packaging. Now I don't know about you, but that's a lot of things gizmo does! I have to give this a 5 star recommendation. In transparency gizmoco did NOT provide me with this demo unit, hopefully some day though!

I have a parasocial relationship with this guy

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been using no-name bluetooth earbuds and they're "whatever", but are the airpods a significant upgrade?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ansible Adams posted:

if you have Apple devices and have had pairing issues with generics, yes. airpods by far the best pairing ability I've seen on bt

I have a Pixel 3a but I'm just curious. There's janky aspects but the pairing is generally fine and i can walk 10 feet away from my phone with no problem

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1437498350895501314?s=20

youch

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

a year ago i bought an M1 macbook air and an 8th gen ipad. the macbook is the best laptop i've owned - fast processor, reasonable well thought-out OS, excellent battery life. but the ipad is honestly the really cool part. a decade ago these seemed like a cool idea but this thing is really thoughtful in terms of usability and such. the only thing i don't like is that a lot of iOS software is on a subscription basis, which seems like frequently a rip-off, but at least a lot of the software is well-designed and even though i have the base ipad it doesn't really bog down and start to chug. nice work tim apple

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

so like, how much better is the ipad air than the ipad plain? the weight difference is itty-bitty but is it otherwise impressive?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

cause honestly every time i use my ipad i'm like "this is amazing, if only i had some stuff to do with it". the laptop replacement thing is almost there but feels like it might never make it all the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i finally learned how to do split screen and got it all set up with streamlabs remote and my twitch chat window and then stopped streaming. it was really good for that though.

when I saw the update for the split screen elements I thought it was a silly way to crowbar in desktop functionality but I have to admit it works pretty well. probably a pain in the rear end for developers to design all these different sized views but that's their problem