Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I put the 12 beta on my 6s yesterday and it’s the first major iOS update that feels like an improvement since like iOS 6, and maybe the first ever that improved an old phone’s performance.

gonna replace the battery for 29 while I still can and hopefully keep this bitch going for another 2 years. gently caress headphone jack dongles that I’ll constantly lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

brap posted:

the r-word

don’t sign your posts

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

last pass with ios11 is finally good

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

no thanks

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

iOS 12 somehow hosed up iMessage, every iMessage I got for the last 24 hours only appeared on my Mac for some reason. I think I resolved it by signing out of everything and signing back in but the missing messages still never made it onto my phone. I missed out on a gig from not seeing one of them in time lol. it JUst WOrKs

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I cracked the screen on my 6s and now I’m thinking I may get a new phone instead of getting it fixed. is the 8 good? is the camera better than the 6s?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

sidebars in mac os big sur apps are translucent now. truly revolutionary

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

SALR finally getting safari support

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

how many ya'll like tabs???

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

native translation is cool though, firefox doesn't have that

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

How many people even use split-screen multitasking? Hell, how many people even know that feature exists?

i'll use it as a Life Hack to get a youtube to play while I focus on something else, its a pain in the rear end

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

do desktops pcs ever have mics? have not had one since 2005

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

id been using itunes since the first windows release and always thought it was pretty good but i got so sick of this poo poo, and the music app was the last straw. i moved all my music to plex and have been slowly fixing all the files itunes hosed up, like duplicating tracks, replacing explicit tracks with clean ones etc. recommended if you already have a plex server but probably too much of a gently caress around if you don't.

is the music app much worse than whatever version of itunes on mojave?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Lysidas posted:

apple music seems fine to me for playing the library of mp3 files i have synced to my phone through itunes

does it do other stuff too? i cant imagine what, but its probably bad at it beause there is nothing else to do with music, so by definition those non-things cannot be done well

e: and this is probably too obvious to state, but what the hell: make sure the music comes from a read-only samba or nfs mount so itunes cant mess with the files, just copy selected things to phonene

iTunes Match generally "just works" for me (I have a lot of bootlegs and stuff not available on streaming services) so i'm more or less locked in until they decide to stop taking my money for that service but the app does seem to generally get a little more confusing with every update. took me a while to figure out when you tap on the track playing you can toggle "next up" or actually see where you are in the song, for example. they've also changed the functionality to view the album you're playing a few times, at one point you had to tap on the album art on a specific screen (now you hit ... and "show album" which I will concede is an improvement)

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

infernal machines posted:

wasn't the issue that a lot of artists get screwed on streaming royalties because of the artists' contracts with their label? so it's not specifically spotify so much as streaming in general, and artists having lovely contracts

no, spotify pays everyone poo poo even before labels get involved. something like .04 cents per stream. theoretically, artists and labels could negotiate for higher pay but they're generally at the mercy of the service.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Management posted:

I cancelled my Spotify and bought a bunch of songs due to world virus. it probably isn’t cheaper but I will have those songs forever instead of paying to rent them.

yeah that’s my main reason for going iTunes/bandcamp, don’t wanna lose my tunes when someone gets mad about their $3 check for 100000 plays or whatever

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

poty posted:

any of the logitech mx master ones or most logitech ones or whatever thewirecutter.com says

fun fact: every time i turn on my mx master mac os doesn't recognize that i'm mousing over stuff. i have to turn it off and back on very quickly and then it works. it took me approximately a year to figure this out.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Roy donk

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

no touch id, guess i'm waiting until next year

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

also lol at the usb c cable with no power adapter. because i have so many usb c hubs and power adapters lying around the house. not!!!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Amethyst posted:

i don't own any of that crap.

I do own apple airpod pros though. they live in a drawer becuase the rigbht one keeps buzzing after the third replacement (previous ones failed for different reasons)

in the same drawer is a pair of jabra elites, which sound better but never actally worked right becuase the non proprietary protocol doesn't actally do what it's supposed to. I now walk around with a big pair of bluetooth cans becuase while they are still annoying to manage like all bluetooth poo poo, at least they will actually continue working.

I can't express how much I resent apple's self serving decision to remove the god drat headphone jack

i like my jabra elites, had some issues with one of them frequently un-pairing for a bit at first but that was fixed with a firmware update over the summer. although now that the cold weather is coming back I’ll probably switch back to full headphones to keep the ol’ ears warm on my walks

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Amethyst posted:

I probably should have admitted defeat and used the crappy dongle but I doubt the range of available wired earbuds is good anymore

sure’s iems have been around forever and are a solid choice at each of their price points. i use the $100 model for gigs and sometimes with my phone and am very happy with them.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

got the iphone 12 pro, speakers are extremely loud. C+

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

one fun thing to do is ask siri to call you something rude, then forget about it, and then at some point look at your notifications and have yourself a lol

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

When Apple announced the M1s, I thought they'd charge boutique pricing. There was not "we can make these cheaper" vibe in the reveal. Yet, the pricing is nevertheless way lower that I thought. $799-$1299 USD (Canadians can get nearly $900 CAD off with trade-in of a 2018 Pro).

Basically they marketed these as "maglev bullet trains for the mind" and then sold them for tricycle prices.

But the giveaway is the 2-port-tier. It says, theses are the entry level. Wait a minute and they'll redesign them and 1.5X the performance with 4-TB/USB-4 ports.

But seriously I can't wait, my fans spin up like crazy cause I'm developing 2-3 platforms at a time. I can trade in this MacBook Pro and get a iPad Air for Sidecar easy.

The gently caress do I care if some headphones cost $500; developers be balling.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

been thinking about getting a new monitor for my 2019 MBP but did some research today and apparently the pixel density has to be 220 to look Great which means you need a 5k 27" or 4k 21.5".
I have a 1440p 27" that works fine but not great; I don't want to buy a new monitor if it's also going to be just OK. do you guys have any 4k monitors you like with your macbook, because maybe it doesn't really matter?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

anyone else getting kernal panic restarts all the time suddenly? it's pretty cool

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

infernal machines posted:

your ram is dying

it's a year old machine so hopefully not. i just uninstalled a bunch of stuff that used kernal extensions, hopefully that helps.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

it's only a kernal on commodore computers from the 1980s, otherwise it's just a sparkling kernel

im not good with computers

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

how come I can type "8pm thing" into an all day appointment in gcal and it will set an appointment for 8pm, but on ical I'll just have an all day appointment that says "8pm thing" :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Smythe posted:

another interesting radio thing that happened to me is i was running some stage monitors a while ago right. so i had this loooong piece of unshielded speaker zip wire running from the phones out of a mixing board to a lovely amp that went to 2 speakers on stage right. anyways the speakers would pick up a weird, subtle ratio station despite no antenna being attached. i think this was due to the huge strand of wire just picking it up or something. it was so weird. you could only hear it if you were really close to the speaker. it was like 300 feet over 2 stories. pretty neat and a little spooky.

this used to happen to me on gigs in my hometown, something unshielded in my setup would pick up the local talk radio station and it would come through my amp.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

had to send my 12 pro in for service so I broke out the old 6s for a few days. missed this form factor and home button, superior in every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cant stick my phone on the fridge anymore because the camera bump is too big, thanks tim