Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
just build a gaming pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wait walmart still hasnt given up that hosed up payments system people were talking about around the time apple pay came out?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imacs make no sense to me. there is no reason to compromise on hardware capabilities, gently caress up the repairability, and reduce the cooling capability/introduce throttling/make it noisier because the fans have to go full blast more often, just so you can have it all in a tight little package.

the change from magnetically attaching the screen to gluing it the gently caress on is also such a gently caress you to anyone who needs to work on them.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

this "entire mess" is some xda forums ricers wailing about their epeen

absolutely no one who isn't a massive waste of oxygen has ever even heard of geekbench, let alone run it, correlated the scores, and then gotten mad about it

can I be the guy who wails about the guy who wails about the guy wailing about his slow phone

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iOS already has a low-power mode. do your cpu throttling shenanigans then.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(((lisp programmers)))

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
get up from bed

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im confused, why is apple so determined to delete their users' locally stored files

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im incredibly impressed by the massive supply constraints. cant wait for my homepod i ordered last year to arrive :)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:allears:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

it turns out that if all billion iOS devices decide to update at once then the internet breaks, particularly on major releases. your device will discover that updates are available usually in about a week if you don’t manually check for it.

I really wish there was an option for downloading and updating automatically without user intervention. I would set all of my parents devices to do this.

looking forward to this silently becoming the default in a future version

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so this seems as good a place to ask as any: I used to take my worn out or broken apple cables, power adapters etc to the Apple store and they’d just swap them no questions asked even if they were kinda old. is Apple still like that? the controls on my EarPods have stopped working.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
as far as I'm aware safari is the most power efficient browser on macOS so that's the one I use

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol that article places Microsoft above Apple as a laptop maker. Apple is definitely slipping but don’t make me laugh

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

I think you meant to post this in gbs

little weird to be talking to yourself in public man

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i mean it's pretty apple 2018 to charge a bazillion dollars for something and have it break through normal use as a result of an obvious flaw

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the problem is not particularly browsers or being electron-based. the problem is that the engineering teams aren't incentivized to make the performance good enough.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
can’t wait to pick up a new 2015 MacBook Pro when my 2013 dies

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
working on a computer, the oxymoron of a century

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jit bull transpile posted:

Also imo the mapping vehicles are a way bigger deal than the iPhone data but like I said the user data is irreversibly anonymized because we really don't want to know when you hit your favorite highly rated tugmaps spots

don’t think I want to google tugmaps—anyone want to let me know what that is?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im looking forward to reports on how badly the hex core mbp throttles itself under an actual workload

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
time to build a hackintosh

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
an actual mac has no security either in case the "hit enter to get root" exploit among others wasn't hint enough

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

3.5mm jacks are needlessly large/long and consumed a important spot where a larger second speaker could go and they already had a different port that could pull double-duty of course they killed it

on the other hand my 3.5mm headphones will work with loving anything else I own

what’s needlessly large/long is either the dongle or the extra set of 3.5mm headphones you inevitably have to carry around

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

now do one about device manufacturers getting rid of vga ports

ok? there’s an actual path forward for the industry from vga (dvi, hdmi, DisplayPort, usb-c). if you need a dongle it’s also much less cumbersome in a laptop/presentation environment than with a phone that lives in your pocket.

there might be a path forward from 3.5mm—but it’s not gonna be loving lightning. lightning headphones won’t even work with a Mac, let alone any device by any other company. after releasing iPhone 7 Apple continued to come up with 3.5mm ports on new Mac designs so clearly they have no loving idea what they want to do about headphones.

Apple wants you to own a phone and a tablet and a smartwatch and air pods and a laptop so your life will be full of stupid bullshit you need to charge every night. gently caress that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toady posted:

building cocoa UIs sucks,

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
cash is good you dummies.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

luv 2 watch a gaggle of nerd men haplessly befuddled about why :females: prefer a phone they lets you see people better on face time and interact on social media easier.

it's almost like most of our time on a phone is not spent hunched alone in a corner of the cafeteria typing long epic posts but is instead spent talking to ppl

im the interacting on social media

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gonna blow your mind, but us girls actually leave each other complements in our Instagram posts and poo poo. have conversations in the comments even!

more screen size, more socializing. so simple

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

roboshit posted:

the only people I see with them are butter fingered smooth brained retards who should switch to android and stop pissing on stebes grave

please refrain from using the r-word

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like my iPhone 8 except mine came without a headphone jack for some reason

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what proportion of this vitriol against lowly male nerds is self hate

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

roboshit posted:

like most apple products it's designed for normal people and not the autistic

gently caress you

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lol its a mansplain gang bang itt

yes, people are giving you opinions about cooking chicken because you are a woman.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

you now bring up the control centre in the exact same way you brought up the charms bar in windows 8: swiping down from the top right corner.

it was garbage in win 8 and it's garbage in ios.

lollll

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

why, does it kill your parents?

late but gotta give this one a lol

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this is maybe sanctimonious but i would love to see the "gently caress off filthy poors" chat go the way of "macs are for fags" chat

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
my gut says the biggest reason Siri sucks is due to being managed by sleepy moron eddy cue

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
disappointed to hear rossman might be a chud, but seems like he's still performing a good service that a shockingly small number of professionals are choosing to provide--both in terms of literally repairing stuff and also just spreading awareness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if you use a magic mouse you are either fully brainwashed or just don't give a poo poo about getting tendonitis.