Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Apple maps tends to not give enough warning on turns for me. on ms jones’s phone, the voice nav will sometimes just stop talking for mysterious reasons

car play is real good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just pulled up apples online store, and my exact laptop (which is a late 2013 model) except with a 7th gen processor is like $1500. same amount of ram, same ssd.

what the gently caress apple? how is 8 gigs of ram remotely acceptable for a “pro” computer in 2018? like i really enjoy using osx but if they don’t get some non-trash computers by the time this one dies im gonna end up with a linux laptop and that’s a fate worse than death

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im iTunes in my butt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the touchbar would be p sweet if apple hadnt inexplicably put escape on it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also apple watches look terrible

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like my citizen watch because it doesn’t have jit bull transpile posts on it

im lying

i like ur posts, jbt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

anthonypants posted:

years later i discovered that people believed it to be a solid color.

wait what?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no i get that, it’s the part where someone thinks that’s what the writer was actually trying to convey. “oh he just meant black/blue, there’s clearly not something else going on here” is pretty dumb

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've been trying to use safari lately

i was at bugmenot.com, getting a login for netgear.com

safari repeatedly autocorrected netgear to nether

there exists a product manager somewhere that thought this was a reasonable thing, and then some developers implemented and released it.

jesus christ apple

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

jfc "the writer" is William Gibson and it's the first sentence in "Neuromancer" where we also got the word and literally every depiction of "cyberspace"

philistines

no poo poo, everyone here is aware of that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

🤷‍♀️ other apps (except Messages) don’t do that, but I mean I’ll have a look! thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

will oldham isn’t available on any streaming service that I know of, and itunes match wont work on his stuff

so I buy apple music and ship a bunch of his mp3s around every time I get a new computer. works for me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i will install ios12 on my iphone 6 and it will be good. it is just the right size and has a headphone jack

id rather have a 6s I guess but 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

coke posted:

that's the nz gov's fault to have terrible consumer product policy that require all the electronic products to all basically have extended warranty, which result in padded pricing for all the stuff that's sold in the country

so people who are careful with their electronics items like iphone will have pay extra to cover other people's devices even though they will never see those money anyway

lol i never thought id see somebody getting all stupid and fygm about consumer protection but here we are

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

anthonypants posted:

not sure why you would possibly think that

a fair point

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh my god apple hid switching from front to back cameras during facetime behind an extra tap and a modal that blocks the entire screen and is buggy as poo poo to dismiss

several people looked at this and said “this is a reasonable user experience, let’s do this”

:ughh:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

just adding an already existing picture to an imessage takes an extra tap now

how's that? it's the same for me at 2

old way:
click camera, it goes to photo-timeline-with-live-camera-as-option, click the photo

new way:
click photo app button thingy, click photo

like if i'm being honest, new way is actually "click camera, say 'gently caress', go back, ..." but i assume i'll eventually adapt

i guess if you really want to take a picture and send it but not save it to photos, it saves a click, but gently caress that (maybe this is send-nudes-mode, but that's not exactly my use case). the change is dumb, but it seems dumb to me because it's a change for no reason, not because it makes thing strictly worse like the facetime change does. im on an old 6 though, the flow on more recent devices might be different :shrug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you’re a woman, a good joke is “then turn off your monitor”

but if u aren’t then I can’t really think of a good one, other than “keep wearing jorts” or something

help me workshop this joke

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the same reason we can’t both use the Bedtime alarm and not have it vibrate at bedtime:

because gently caress you, that’s why

the thing about nerds needing things to replace their mother is so true

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i searched for “dog friendly restaurant” in apple maps the other day and it came back with a restaurant called Friendly in South Korea

it took me a minute to figure out how the third word got in there

just to be very clear, I am not making a joke, apple maps is actually that bad. I just did the search again (from home) just now and it returned the results you’d expect though 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apple is doing battery swaps for $20 through the end of the year I thought

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

Microsoft would probably do better if they made a Surface dedicated only for Office stuff. The Excel slate

surface xl ?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

carry on then posted:

we're gonna have to do a lot more posting to make it to page 68882

that’s cool and all but pretty soon after will be 69420 which makes it even more important

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

please treat it how your doctors recommend and not by shoving fruit up your rear end

actually feel free to treat it by shoving fruit in your rear end, as long as you also do what the doctor recommends

realtalk stay strong postin pal <3

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

what if the doctor recommends NOT shoving fruit up one's rear end?

ALWAYS SHOP FOR DOCTORS

and fruit that is slightly unripe, to prevent embarrassing accidents!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

GenJoe posted:

good thing apple provides a best in class native mobile productivity suite called iWork

is genjoe being sarcastic or is there an antishaggar in our midst?

genjoe how do you feel about bicycles?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I used to have tons of trouble with airdrop but it’s been great for the par few months

well when only phones are involved. I think it still has trouble picking up me Jones’s computer but we send stuff between our phones without trouble. even that used to be a shitshow though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

existentialism - sartres in particular - talks about how the conceptual joints of the world are projected by human consciousness. what is projected is “nothingness”, the lack of something. lack as in its x and _not y instead_. the nothingness in the joke is reified, such that no-cream is distinct from no-milk. someone (especially Sartre who was a garbage-person) caring about the distinction is the funny(ish) bit.

it kind of dovetails with the Pierre (not) in the cafe example from being and nothingness

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

martin heidegger walks into a bar

the bartender says "gently caress you nazi, get out"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the best iPhone is the fastest one with the 6/7/8 form factor that also has a headphone jack

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:ssj:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol ur so wrong and now you look silly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

like even if you wanna poo poo on the continental tradition you’re still wrong, but less wrong, but discounting an entire continent is uhhhhhhhhh p goofy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

headphone jack?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

probably zero, but they also would’ve been way more expensive 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

actually English is the one true accent

I just wish he’d do a posh butler accent and respond to ‘jeeves’

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Celexi posted:

bricks your mobile data

what does this mean?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sniep posted:

if your phone is "Bricked' by the definition which I'm familiar, you have bigger problems than posting without wifi...

unless “bricked” means “doesn’t work in some capacity” now. which wouldn’t really surprise me tbh, terms like that seem to have a pretty short shelf-life

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ms jones got me airpods for Christmas and they’re really good. still won’t give up my headphone jack on my phone though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the new Apple TV is my first Apple TV and can confirm the remote is terrible

is there a way to get a not-poo poo one and use that?