Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I suspect that the real issue isn't the butterfly mechanism itself being particularly vulnerable to dirt because unless a perfectly sized sand grain managed to get jammed at the flexing hinge point there's really no place for dirt to get that doesn't also exist with a scissor style mechanism.

no, the problem is that the keys have loving 0.7mm of travel so nothing moves enough to dislodge any chunk of dirt that gets in there. with scissor keys you can usually hold up the keyboard while hitting the key a few times and at some point during the cycle the movement of the parts will give enough clearance to let the dirt fall out but that doesn't work with the mbp.

then you have to add in that each key sits in a little aluminum-walled pit which will trap any dirt that manages to work its way in until it is either crushed to powder or manages to jam the key.

chiclet keyboards are an abomination. ultra-low travel chiclet keyboards doubly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

akadajet posted:

I'm glad you love Dongle. I love it too. Our customers have found so many creative and interesting uses for Dongle. While it is not time to share any details, we do plan for Dongle to be an important part of our product line going forward.

Best,
Tim

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

C.H.O.M.E posted:

is there a writeup on this? should i bother doing it to my old 2010 mbp?

if you are getting kernel panics whenever anything kicks the nvidia gpu into action then yes. replacing the capacitor completely solves the problem.

lots of how to videos on YouTube if you look for c9560

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Generic Monk posted:

afaik none of the 2016 MBPs are even out of warranty yet. i think they just genuinely didn't think that making the moving parts on your laptop completely intolerant to foreign objects would be a problem

nah that's just the initial pain they have to endure before they enter the real payoff of annual $700 top case replacements forcing upgrades.

Tim probably gets a daily report on the number of unibody MacBooks pro that upgrade to Pot Mountain to strengthen his resolve to ride this out. next he'll discontinue MagSafe 1 adaptors and let nature take its course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Generic Monk posted:

force-touch keys

yeah that's gonna be the solution. all implemented via a gigantic touch bar.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

echinopsis posted:

find me the one person using the retina mbp that wished it was thinner or lighter

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

maskenfreiheit posted:

isn't it bad to run down your iphone battery?

i thought the old style (nickel cadmium or metahydrye?) were the ones you can't trickle charge

iirc the newer style wont retain as much if you constantly drain them down

yes, one deep discharge damages the battery more than dozens of shallow discharge/charge cycles.

battery memory is not a thing with lithium ion batteries, but an occasional complete discharge and recharge cycle does help the battery control circuitry get a better handle on changes in the battery voltage/discharge curve and give a better capacity estimate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

here's the thing about monopolies in the US - you can have one and you can even abuse it to maintain it as long as you make sure it is the producers getting screwed and not the end customers.

Amazon is totally a monopoly on ebooks, but they gently caress the publishers in order to lower prices for consumers so it is a-ok as far as the law is concerned.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zen death robot posted:

at least the power button and volume buttons still exist

*Jony Ive's eyes narrow as he grips his sword apple pencil*

"Soon."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

poty posted:

odds are not great because the iphone se is $350 and if they make it too good people wont buy the expensive phones

id say there is like a 50% chance it gets upgraded to an a11 with no other changes in like june next year

I bet a11 with 3D Touch, no ois on the camera, second gen touchid, and no headphone jack. maybe waterproofing.

that lets apple drop the a9 with the 6s, drop a separate non-force-touch phone UI, and force their dongle into more packages.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perplx posted:

they want to but intel still doesn't have a chip that supports lpddr4, they could use regular ddr4 but that would reduce their best in the industry 30 days standby to one week and more people would complain about that then the lack of 32GB of ram

also the loving iphone 6s has lpddr4 so intel is really slacking here

intel didn't implement support for lpddr4 or more than 16GB of lpddr3 because those are smartphone/tablet memory formats intended for SoC integration and nobody but apple builds their "performance" laptops like a smartphone. why waste the die space and engineering time on redesigning the i5 and i7 memory controller to support an esoteric ram type that some tiny sliver of less than 10% of a subsection of your entire market will ever consider using?

intel also has had lpddr4 supporting SoC x86 systems since September of last year.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zen death robot posted:

alexa sucks and hompod will too

I mean it will have Siri on it so that's a given.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Raluek posted:

yeah i bought an ipad on cyber monday to give to my dad for xmas, then today saw that costco has them for cheaper through the end of the month. lol owned

yo check your credit card benefits. if you have a nice card it probably has price protection.

it usually doesn't cover if the lower price is a "cyber monday" type deal but should cover you if the higher price is.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i'm glad they are getting poo poo on. if you insist for years and years that you don't slow down older phones when you release a new iOS version, you should actually loving notify people when you slow their phones down, no matter the reason for doing so.

the phone will alert you for poo poo like using an unauthorized charging cable, a recurring notification of "iPhone in battery protection mode due to battery wear. Swipe to see repair options." is not an unreasonable expectation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the idea is sound, just like a limp mode in a car. they deserve every single word of bad PR and every penny of legal expenses for quite possibly the most user-hostile and inconsiderate implementation possible. I sincerely hope discovery turns up an email chain where someone nixes a notification because it would force them to cover battery replacements under AppleCare just to really round out the loving.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

something to do with the apple philosophy of the user never loving with their phone probably

or the apple philosophy of "make it last past the AppleCare+ warranty period then who gives a gently caress buy a new device loser"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tim probably wakes up each morning an recites a mantra of "I will never let another upgrade killer like the unibody and retina mbps happen again"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

you have to admit that's still better than the android philosophy of "don't offer a warranty, what are you nuts? this thing was poo poo when we built it, it's not going to last two years"

I mean, yes. but "better than android" is not exactly a high bar to clear.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I expect they will ruin perfection by dropping the headphone jack for no real reason

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cis autodrag posted:

The battery is only 79 bucks? So this whole thing was people who could afford a 1000 dollar phone whining that they didn't want to pay 80 dollars for a battery and therefore Apple should defy physics to extend their battery life without decreasing performance? Apple users are fuckin babies apparently.

the cost wasn't the hang up, it was that there was no way to know whether you should get a battery replacement or not. it sucks always wondering "is my phone slow because iOS is poo poo now or is my phone throttled and $80 will fix it? :iiam: "

you could bring your phone into an Apple store and the tech would say "no battery problems at all! green light!" even though the phone was throttled. I've seen a few people claim that Apple techs really tried to talk them out of paying for a battery replacement, which makes sense because from them tech's perspective every test they have is indicating that the battery is fine and a replacement is a waste of money.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eeyo posted:

I had thought "plant-based" was just code for vegan, but I guess it's not that strict. Still, I think they're trying to say that they'll make vegan/vegetarian options without saying the v-word. It is a pretty generic phrase though.

in addition to trying to avoid the common stigma that a vegetarian diet is a no fun allowed zone, "plant based" is also a term commonly used by dietitians because it more accurately describes how people actually eat (nearly every vegetarian has a meat-containing food that "doesn't count") and things seem to indicate that going fully meat-free is not needed to realize most health benefits.

it also helps mentally prime people to focus on vegetables in a way that cuts meat intake. if you tell people "eat more vegetables" they will do so by adding more vegetables into their diet while keeping everything else the same, but if you tell them to be more "plant based" or use plants as a major part of the main dish they will actually cut meat intake. it is the difference between someone having a 10oz steak but putting a side of broccoli next to it and some sautéed onions and peppers on top of it vs having a stir fry with ~4oz of beef per plate.

people never really fully grow out of the toddler phase where they have to be tricked into trying new foods.

anyway to tie foodchat into tech bubble Facebook has gotten into the fray with their own food delivery platform and are advertising it loving everywhere here. I think we are up to about ten big ones now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

amazingly those were actual licensed engineers that hosed that one up

people are really good at being really dumb.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

echinopsis posted:

phosphor has an inherent fade out so the flicker is not noticeable unlike leds which don’t fade out but just immediately stop making photons

oleds as installed in screens do have a fade out due to the drive circuit. there is a small storage capacitor integrated with gate of the drive transistor at each pixel in order to keep it conducting at the set current level through the refresh cycle. it is possible that with previous screens there was something about that structure which made it more able to smooth out a 240Hz PWM signal in a way that was less noticeable.

someone would really need to hook up an extremely good oscilloscope to the drive circuit and a photosensor above a particular pixel to know for sure.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

even if it sounds good there's existing solutions that are cheaper and already work with every music service and you can even yell at them if you want

not supporting spotify just feels like those first couple ipods that didn't work with windows but I guess making it better is about software and licensing deals instead of hardware

it doesn't natively support spotify for the same reason the iOS siri API doesn't support music apps - streaming music services are pretty much interchangeable and the only way apple can give apple music any sort of edge is by making the other services more annoying to use.

also apple needs to loving fix this imessages arriving out of order poo poo. it is just absurd.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I can't think of anything more "audiophile" than paying entirely too much for a feature poor product which is only compatible with a select few other very expensive products because a reviewer raved about how the the power cord made him feel inside.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ufarn posted:

really hoping for a new se at the mar 27 event, this 5s with a 99% dead battery is driving me nuts

on that note, anyone else experienced their car battery seeming to drain *faster* while charging in the car via usb? it's like the phone is charging the car battery rather than the other way around

being plugged in probably causes the phone screen to stay on, and you are likely keeping the radios active streaming music or some poo poo. if you have a lovely 12v to usb charger and thin long cable it might not be able to keep up.

buy this car charger and this usb cable and you won't have a problem. if you do the other possible reason is that your phone is heating up to the point that it can't charge the battery.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Its a minor quibble but I really wish that the mapping programs would allow you to leave a topographical map up on the screen. Google maps comes close but doesn't allow you to use the "terrain" layer in nav mode and the screen quickly sleeps in normal mode even if you have the phone plugged in.

When I'm driving outside the city it is much easier to get a feel for things with a topo map.

maps are neat btw.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol that article

quote:

"“We know that there’s a lot of customers today that are making purchase decisions on the iMac Pro and whether or not they should wait for the Mac Pro,” says Boger.

This is why Apple wants to be as explicit as possible now, so that if institutional buyers or other large customers are waiting to spend budget on, say iMac Pros or other machines, they should pull the trigger without worry that a Mac Pro might appear late in the purchasing year.

people weren't buying our lovely solution because they were hoping for something better. we must kill that hope.

quote:

But on Tuesday I also got a tour of the editing suites where Mac hardware and software is pushed to the limits, including extensive use of eGPU support, and a different vision emerges.

First, we visit the room where they record new instruments for Logic and Garage Band and then on to an edit bay used by the Pro Workflow Team to put Final Cut Pro through its paces.

Throughout, the idea of modularity was omnipresent. An iMac Pro with two iPad Pros hooked up to it allows for direct control, shortcuts and live access to the Logic manual, all while you’re mixing a song on the main device: an eGPU with a MacBook Pro running a live edit of an 8K stream with color grading and effects applied.

External GPUs plugged into MacBook Pros, in my opinion, is going to be an enormous shift in the way that people think about portables. I got a live demo of a graphics stress test running on a MacBook Pro natively, then on one and then two external GPUs. The switching is nearly seamless, depending on the age of the app, and some modern rendering software can use all three in concert. It’s one of those things that works exactly the way you think it would, and it leans heavily on Thunderbolt 3.

Whether that informs the shape of individual machines in Apple’s future lineup I don’t know, but it’s certainly the way Apple is looking at the pro ecosystem. It’s not just MacBook Pro, iMac Pro, Mac Pro — it’s the enabling force of eGPUs, it’s iPad Pros as input devices, purpose-built extensions and portable workstations.

Let's see...
iMac Pro - $5k
2x iPads Pro - $1.1k
mbp (touchbar because you need the extra thunderbolt ports) - $1.8k
workstation class eGPU - $1.8k for a P5000 + $200 for powered eGPU enclosure

$10k minimum for that setup, nearly all of it going to apple for apple hardware. yes I can see why apple likes this vision.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Linguica posted:

always love to see people introduced to that macbook magic

https://twitter.com/CaseyNeistat/status/982430762640314370

https://twitter.com/BrettSBaker/status/982430958929498113

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

the way things are going you won't be able to access anything unless you have the ___ app

oh you wanna read reviews for this place before you go? better have the fuckin yelp app.

yup. seems almost every site of reasonable size is working hard to kneecap the mobile web version and force you to use the app for some strange reason.

i'm sure ios safari having ad blocking has nothing at all to do with that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

is this a new "feature" they are A-B testing? because this is in my (fully updated) google maps app right now:

used it this last week actually

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

why don’t they do the world a favour and sue tbh

some russian dude did it for his iphone repair in Moscow and the court forced them to make a repairs centre in the city, so if we can do it with our lovely courts so can some yanks

the FTC has apparently started that process, sending warning letters to several undisclosed consumer electronics manufacturers to knock off the "warranty void if looked at funny" bullshit.

the next step when they inevitably ignore it will be enforcement action. I expect they will take on one of the manufacturers less obsessed with preventing third party repair like Sony or MS first to get favorable precedent before taking on Apple.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

if gm refused to provide non-warranty repairs it would be really stupid, but not illegal. that's what apples doing here. if they somehow managed to actually damage everything then ok maybe a new imac pro is justified, but quote them that as the repair cost. this seems more like they busted up the front part and apple doesn't have supply chain to handle repairs.

I'm not entirely sure that it wouldn't be illegal if gm made access to paid non-warranty parts and repairs conditional on a person not having third-party repairs done. it might not be a violation of the warranty act but it would get them sued for anticompetitive tying with clear consumer damage (dealer prices and parts being much higher than independent shops).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

I was talking about GM not providing repair parts to anyone including GM owned/authorized repair shops as is the case here w/ apple and the imac pro.

but Apple does provide replacement part for the iMac pro to third party retailers.

for example here's Best Buy's part sales page

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

on the morning of the first day of our vacation my wife's 6s took a tumble into water. her case prevented water from really getting in anywhere but the screen edge, so we were able to get everything backed up to iCloud despite the backlight going out midway and needing a flashlight to read things and quickly restored to a new 7 using the local Apple store's fast connection.

she's annoyed that she has to remember to unplug her headphones and plug in the charger each night after she does her usual nightly meditation thing, and if we hadn't just bought her a pair of Bluetooth noise canceling headphones prior to the trip it would have been a real pain in the rear end to keep the phone charged on the flights.

in summary- Apple Stores good to have, iCloud is a lifesaver, and the lack of headphone jack is annoying from day (night) one.

as for the 6s, after drying it out all the way by keeping it packed in desiccant the rest of the trip the backlight is the only thing wrong and i'm optimistic that a new screen would fix it as I opened it up and there is zero indication that the water left behind any logic-board-shorting residue.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

you can see a per app breakdown of the stored data in iCloud settings to see if a third party app is to blame.

messages also can get loving huge if you send a lot of pictures and video.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pram posted:

its because intel processors only support LPDDR3, even the 8th generation

to be fair, intel supports DDR4L, which is the memory intended for laptops. LPDDR4 was designed for SoC applications and requires extreme I/O sensitivity due to incredibly low signalling levels (~400mV compared to 1.2V with LPDDR3).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perplx posted:

they use the lower power ram to have 30 day standby time, if they used regular ram it would less than 7 days

thats 14%+ battery drain per day vs 3%

maybe instead of keeping everything in RAM for weeks at a time they could suspend to the 3GBps ssd and power down the DRAM. nobody is going to open their computer after not using it for seven days and go "this is unacceptable!!" when it takes a second to wake.

gently caress do some Apple it just works magic with Bluetooth proximity or vibration detection or something.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pram posted:

macbook nvidia gpus desoldering themselves

wasn't it later tracked to an under-specced capacitor in Apple's power supply for the GPU making GBS threads itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

tomorrow I take my father to the Apple store to buy his first iPhone and ditch his Samsung which he now hates because it is stuffed with apps he can't delete, it keeps re-enabling those apps via android updates that he says completely change how the phone interface works, and because google.

hopefully it goes smoothly. I'll probably try to talk him into getting AppleCare+ for the 2 year tech support