Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

This has been a thing since at least the original iPhone announcement. It's a really strange choice. I'm sure there are pages and pages of rationale for it somewhere.

it's been a thing since the mac was introduced in 1984 you noobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-XwPjn9YY&t=23s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Can someone explain the logic in the goddamn window switcher Mission Control thing

It keeps shuffling my window order in apparently random ways and I don't know why it likes changing them

I like iTunes or Spotify to be at the end of the line, all the way to the right, but randomly it seems to appear back in the first 3 window places

I like my browsers to be together next to each other, but they too just decide to change places for whatever loving reason Hair Force One decided was logical

no idea what you're talking about. there's no "line" in mission control. do you mean the alt tab menu thats sorted by most recently used apps?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah i'm sure tims real pissed about the promotion of iphone x, preorder on friday!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've read a bajillion books on iBooks for iPad, iPhone, Mac, and I've never had any issues. Maybe you're holding the iBook wrong?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

its insanely dumb to not be able to copy text chunks, or to not be able to export pdfs to other apps from iBooks

its not very well integrated, basically

iBooks is for reading books, not copying/exporting them wtf lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

its insanely dumb to not be able to copy text chunks, or to not be able to export pdfs to other apps from iBooks

its not very well integrated, basically

iBooks is for reading books, not copying/exporting them wtf lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i recently bought an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 2 for ridiculously cheap at a university book store clearance sale. im gonna read some mad books this winter with my pal, iBooks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

thank you but also i am absolutely flabbergasted at how stupid this is

im still trying to figure out who gave you the impression that iBooks is some kind of data expor tool or PDF creator

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm the faceos - one of the four operating systems apple will have to support

they're all descendants of macOS

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

natural scrolling superiority. it just makes much more sense on touch devices.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

there's been a setting since literally the day they launched it.

yeah wtf. someone created a "little app" to reverse the scrolling? they must have felt dumb when they found the "Scroll Direction" checkbox in the mouse/trackpad settings.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Linguica posted:

wrong. a scroll wheel is not like moving a mouse or touching a pane of glass. it is a literal wheel, one of the oldest human inventions and one we are all intimately familiar with. much like moving the mouse pointer around is as if you were moving the mouse itself over the viewport beneath it, imagine scrolling a wheel that is in contact with the viewport beneath it. as you scroll the wheel upwards the wheel pushes the viewport beneath it downwards, making your relative motion be to scroll up the document. owned.

then why does natural scrolling feel so much better?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

seriously.

old school scrolling = you're scrolling in the direction of the arrows on a vertical scrollbar ui element

natural scrolling = you're pushing around the content as if you're touching it. if you're using a touch device like god's own magic mouse and using inertia, this makes more sense and feels great. content moves in the same direction as your finger: naturally.

pretty simple

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes, the move to natural scrolling is actually a direct result of touch screens and other touch devices becoming very popular. i don't think it would have made as much sense in a world where good capacitive touch screens didn't exist.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ive used itunes since 2003 and ive never had any major issues. plays my music and keeps track of it. idk . it was sort of a pain to move libraries to a new machine before itunes match/icloud, but that was a long time ago.

works4me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

infernal machines posted:

the sort of manufacturing defect seven p. jobs would have razed longhua over

where[s the defect

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Apple themselves are the ones who act all insufferable about how great their manufacturing is and their design and blah blah, I’m like bitch if it lets me instagram my dick to fitness models I’m fine

the only reason youre instagramming your dick to people is because apple pushed engineering and designed smartphones usable enough for even the dullest blade in the set to use

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes, please

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

didn't the management actually work at apple though? taht's different than old cremns

interesting stuff about the old FB integrations. I'm glad at least one company gives a poo poo about not selling out their users data. it was probably the same deal with the Apple-developed YouTube and Maps apps. dead and gone because they didn't give enough data to Google.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

zen death robot posted:

G-d bless our benevolent corporate overlords

huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im no capitalism apologist but if a company does something commendable, then I give credit where credit’s due.

i would guess apple misses out on a lot of $$$ not selling off user data.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I had a hard time with it for the first few weeks but I think there is some amount of breaking in that happens because the presses seem to have softened and I like it a lot now

that was your soul breaking

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

graph posted:

i got a second 2017-001 patch this morning thru the crapp store

lol

when the second patch appeared in the App Store, my iMac kernel panicked lol

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 1, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i bought a clearance ipad air 2 last month at the univ book store for $200. its very needs suiting for the prce

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im ready for the se 2 tim. let me come

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

my faith in a fresh SE exists as long as india is a market tim wants to tap, and hopefully it will be my post-6S fone

tim will tap it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i hope they make a smaller iphone x.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Wash your goddamn hands once in a blue loving moon you disgusting goon.

the problem isn't getting dirt on the screen you dipshit, its spurious/unwanted input

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Lay it across your forearm secured with in/with/by the crook of the inner elbow?

:shrug:

what?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

airport extreme update released, couldn’t be arsed to provide a changelog or even update the latest firmware version on the website, so it’s probably just a fix for krack

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208354
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208258

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the imac pro is epic, i might buy one

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

seems like a lot more in moon money than USD

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

these were 1.5 pages of delightful debate concerning over/under on putting an angled metal plate to cover an exhaust

and nary a mention at the fact that they replaced the hatch that lets you upgrade the ram.

stay focused apple hate crew, c'mon

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

infernal machines posted:

what self respecting imac user was ever upgrading their ram?

upped my 2013 imac to 32gb almost right away :cool:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doc Block posted:

“dumbing down OS X will really show our 5 remaining pro users that we’re still committed to the Mac!” said probably someone at apple, unfortunately.

how are people still tricked by apple fan mockups? theyve existed for years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doc Block posted:

i wasn't "tricked". i know it's just some dumbass graphic designer's masturbatory bullshit. i was pointing out how stupid it was, along with all the other "But what if OS X was more like iOS?" garbage these idiots keep making GBS threads out.

the stuff about jony ive someone at apple wishing they could dumb OS X's interface to be more like iOS was serious, though, because just look at stuff like Photos.app on the Mac.

photos.app looks like itunes.app, honestly. i don't see what you're saying. they haven't really "iOSified" macOs much lately. people were crowing about that when they removed scrollbars a long time ago and after the visual overhaul in yosemite, but really not much has changed.

some might say macos has even been a bit overlooked and no huge interface changes have been made in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Photos.app looks and works like a Jony Ives-ed iPhone app that was ported to macOS. It even has the iOS navigation.

In fact, somebody poked around and discovered that Apple had ported parts of UIKit to macOS and used that in Photos.app.

just because a framework was ported doesn't mean the user interface was copied wholesale into macOS.

god help them that they wanted a grid of photos to share some code

Generic Monk posted:

didn't they do something like this for itunes/safari for windows. truly the gold standard
they ported macOS libraries to windows in order to .. share the same code. it's not really that crazy