Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Lysidas posted:

which app is App? that is a lotta money for a one app

i heard whatsapp cost like $19 billion so maybe that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Maximum Leader posted:

Apple Music is garbage even on macOS, can't imagine what trash ux they must have on android

quote your good interfaces that aren't winamp2

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

pram posted:

foobar 2k -said in a very fat voice

accurate

(the voice not the choice)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

sleepwalkers posted:

chromecast is the exception that proves the rule

oh sure, the homepod probably sounds better than a sonos one but lol if apple thinks theres a sizable market that exists between sonos speakers and even an entry level deec home stereo system. gently caress get two sonos ones for the same price as a homepod and theres your multiroom or stereo pair that actually works out of the fuckin box instead of waiting on software updates.

apple knows that a sizeable market exists between "people who ask "what's a sonos"" and "people who can bore people to death with the explanation about sonos"

that market is people who visit easily accessible apple stores across the world and they're suckers for things that Just Work™ and offer functionality they didn't imagine
besides, a year from now homepodOS will have updates that address half the complaints nerds have now (except siri will still suck obviously)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

r u ready to WALK posted:

I dunno, the previous youtube appletv app was pretty terrible, the new one seems like an improvement over it so far.

Idk if you know but everybody can see this wrongpost

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

eric posted:

I do jamba juice enemas every other day and I don't have cancer

your posting does

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Agile Vector posted:

apple hasnt made a product yet that cant be lobbed in anger so no

this explains why we still only have the apple tv and not an apple television

gotta get hulk angry if you own a cheesegrater mac pro tho

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Matt Zerella posted:

when they knock it down in 30years it's gonna leave a ring

Lmbo

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Chris Knight posted:

flat design is a horrible mistake

mlyp

The Management posted:

quote:

THC posted:
now it's just: "what else are you going to buy?"

a dell xps 13, if my new employer is to be believed :saddowns:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cheap bastards should have sprung for an xps 15

lol if u think apple users have the build and strength to lug around anything other than jony ive's slim sculpted slivers of aluminium in god's chosen form factor of 13 inches or fewer

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Penguissimo posted:

also it will delete it from your local storage so you don't have to worry about someone stealing that data from the machine

keep seeing people say this and it's wrong
local copies remain, with changes/deletions syncing. only infrequently accessed files become online only.

when you enable sync to icloud, osx then points your current desktop to a new, empty icloud one while data uploads in the background. probably a clunky sync implementation but i'm not a highly paid apple engineer so i don't want to suppose why it's done this way.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Plorkyeran posted:

usually when you say something is wrong you don't go on to agree that it happens two sentences later

people are saying that enabling icloud desktop sync deletes your files. it doesn't.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

emoji posted:

Sync literally means delete in Apple and will lose data if you use it.

lol ok

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Linguica posted:

Decided to give paid Apple Music another try. I added a playlist to my Library and downloaded the songs. After it finished downloading I looked in my Library and it was empty. Thanks Tim, great work as usual.

Not even in the Playlists section?

if you have "add to library" disabled then playlists songs/content won't show up in your library, obviously. but if the playlist you saved/downloaded isn't even in the playlists sections then welp you're holding it wrong i guess

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

The Management posted:

the base level cheap MacBook

Real America: 1,299 America bucks
Canada: 1,729 queen pictures

1299 USD = 1,637.19 CAD

so, more expensive but not that far off, consistent with a higher corporate tax rate.

Ok but what about sales tax in the US?

If you lived in vancouver and smuggled in a macbook from seattle you’d still need to pay 10.1% sales tax outside of the money spent on travel/logistics lol

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

echinopsis posted:

i have idk what it is. a cable

and my aSSus router delivers 5g to my ipad everywhere in my house

god I love my new ipad. but there are some very hosed things

there is not really a normal place to just have files on the ipad. I wante dot piut some movies on for a upcoming holiday BUT itunes being the worthless sak of poo poo its always been, couldnt transfer the videos

SO

I found a method to copy the videos into the "files" app basically.. BUT the files app isn';t like a file system browser and you cant create a folder for files.. files have to be saved "into" an app, so lol all my videos are "in" pages :rolleyes:

and come on when are they going to give more flexibility with icon positioning etc.

like I HATE janitoring my app icons but its incredibly lame iOS comes default with apps you NEVER use BUT then puts them on the first page which the home button takes you to. it takes minutes to move all that worthless poo poo to the next page and put the stuff you actually use ther.. BUT why isn't that default?

oh and you deleted an app? good now your muscle memory has to change becayuse everything else moved too

and on the ipad... they reorder when you orientate change? gently caress thats poo poo

just let us do it android style and put something somewhere and it stays there until YOU move it.

my man just download nPlayer and use it to copy video files to your iPad over the wireless network using smb or webdav or whatever the kids are using these days

its 2018 you don’t have to connect your idevice to computers with wires lol

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Shaggar posted:

they'd have to invent 100 years of scientific progress. they wouldn't even be able to comprehend the transistor let alone modern fabs.

p sure we can think of some yosposters to send 100 years back in time along with the iphone

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

jit bull transpile posted:

It's conversations like these that remind me that it's mostly men posting here.

For most people phones are an accessory. Accessories are meant to reflect your style and personality. Phones coming in lots of colors is what people want.

I wish I could get a good phone in robin's egg blue with a gold bezel.

why bother when it's just going into a saddle brown* leather cover?

*this specific colour not because it is a fashionable or aesthetic choice, but rather since it's closest to the natural, untreated colour of leather :spergin:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I had to get a new laptop at work bc the battery in my 4-yr old mbp was expanding too much and my IT guy thought I was gonna be killed thx timb

I’m busy packing for a move and while clearing out boxes I found my 08 mbp still stashed in its original packaging

Too scared to take it out and see if it has a bloated battery of death

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

bump_fn posted:

what are ppls experience w the two sizes of ipads pro (keep in mind im not the one payin g forit

i used my 10.5 with smart keyboard as my only computer for six weeks, after i returned the macbook my previous employer gave me
now i have a new dell xps 13 and wish i could go back to using my ipad as my only computer except it should be the 12.9 inch pro

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

carry on then posted:

i had a teacher in high school who would open every file by going start > run > browse> locate the file > click okay > click run

at my previous company i'd watch people as they would meticulously copy text, navigate to the target document, and paste text... all with a mouse and windows context menus (even going as far as using that obnoxious formatting popup that office shoves in your face)

by comparison, i barely used the mouse pointer on my mbp and they'd think i'm some sort of cyberpunk hacking god from swordfish just because i used basic keyboard shortcuts to speed up my workflow

it was a constant reminder that people are dumber than we give them credit for

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

no because he was able to keep left

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I was on a transatlantic 16 hour flight recently and had to bring two different BT headphones to make it.

nice try but nobody listens to music for 16 hours non-stop also get better headphones