Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

close your old thread dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

my rental car for vacation supports CarPlay and holy poo poo is it a night and day difference compared to the dumpster fire that is OEM Dashboard Computing

30 FPS rendering, voice recognition that works, doesn’t play A-Punk every time you plug your phone in

of course CarPlay/Android Auto are disabled by default and unless you dive into ‘Projection’ settings you’d just be living with the hell that is Chevrolet MyLink

lmao i literally deleted vampire weekend off my phone because of this

bump_fn posted:

iTunes Match is loving broken and it’s stupid as poo poo god damnit Apple

it was pretty good when it first came out, but then once apple music became a thing and they killed their pandora-like radio stations i dropped it. $2 a month for ad-free radio and music library streaming was excellent, but it started to get to the point where it just wouldnt play certain songs and i said gently caress it

i use plex now

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do i look like smythe

yeah a little

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you mean you have nas somewhere open to internet and you connect with plex to it, or do you listen at home, or how does it all work out? (never used plex)

you open a port and the app connects to the server through that

im extremely autistic though, so i have a rack w/ all enterprise networking gear and a 1u server, a 2u NAS, and hdhomerun w/ cable card to host my completely legal media so mom can watch stuff across the country on her roku.

gigabit internet owns

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

well yeah that's what im asking, if you are self hosting your media sharing

you dont have to, if you have plex pass ($150 one time charge or $5 a month) they provide the server and you just put your media on google drive or whatever

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i have a crazy prediction for ios 12 next year

they will completely change every aspect of the UI for absolutely no reason

that is all. namaste

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

there is a real serious problem with apple and making things thinner, like the design team all have a collective condition because we are good on the thickness factor. like there is no reason to make phones or macbooks any thinner for the rest of human history. stop it jony

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I still can't even wrap my loving head around getting rid of MagSafe. design has a real loving problem with MUST MAKE THINNAR

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

many people don’t. allow me to explain.

in the past, your laptop would last for 4 hours of screen time. which means basically you always wanted to be plugged in when you could.

today, laptops last more like 10 hours on a single charge*. the usage model has changed. now you’re supposed to plug your laptop at night when you’re not using it, not when you’re at a coffee shop trying to be seen.

combine that with the docking model, where you ideally only plug in one cable and you get your power, display, usb and thunderbolt peripherals, and networking from the same socket. only one cable to plug in when you’re at your desk, zero cables to plug in when you’re at starbucks.

hth

* unless you use chrome, which will suck your battery dry in no time

[in extremely Apple voice] in the future everything will be wireless!

*gets rid of MagSafe to create a dongle port for a shitload of not wireless things*

There’s just no way we can combine both features

[img surface pro dock connector]

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 22, 2017

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

new macbooks are gonna come without a keyboard. thus reducing the thickness 0.2mm

an optional keyboard dongle will be sold separately for $199

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the implication being a code in which keeping the money is more ethical and moral than giving it to the government which while defensible in some respects, is mostly to rile pro-tax yosposters

this is only true in the US where theres a 100% chance your money will be used to murder brown people

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

if you need that then maybe buy a different computer?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its like people bitching about the macbook

"oh I can't plug my 30 usb peripherals in at the same time and an external monitor and my headphones"

then loving buy something that will let you do that, and not this thing that wont

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

just build a loving hackintosh lmao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

graph posted:

credit to sniep for finding this monstrosity

i thought abortions were illegal in south korea

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

so they'd get sued by microsoft for ripping off metro design language?

lmao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i'd be all for that but i absolutely don't trust random li-ion from god knows what knock-off manufacturer not to just explode

ifixit stuff is well sourced

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im currently teaching myself xaml/wpf and it is extremely cool the amount of ui code just vanishes thanks to bindings and validation

on the other hand i think viewmodels are insanely stupid

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the 70s were fuckin wild man

like lisp is basically as completely illegible as brainfuck but it’s a legitimate language simply because it was invented in a time where computer people were like “yeah gently caress it why not”

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

poty posted:

touchid is never coming back

nah if they get the under the screen tech working itll come back alongside faceid for edge case authentication of faces being covered or unlocking without looking etc and leverage that into better processing rates for applepay

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

in late 2012 i bought a i7 macbook pro with a 512gb ssd and 16gb of ram and i have never had any desire to upgrade it because weve basically reached the point where unless youre a dipshit pc gamer everything is powerful enough for all purposes

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

qirex posted:

I'm the super real looking five star reviews all left within one week

apparently punctuation is a challenge, a lot of them adding extra periods or not leaving a space after a period

lmao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i know you cant do anything about some factory in china cranking out garbage, but surely apple can get these listings removed for trade dress

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

neat

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

that’s not surprising at all. just make something that’s a tacky gold color that looks like an iPhone for as cheap as possible then your domestic brand will sell millions. the only thing that matters is appearances.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

but could you imagine if you had to load a lithium cell into the ipencil instead of this?

human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria

the apple pencil is infuriating, their explanation is that you generally charge it using a standard lightning cable and the ipad thing is just for emergency charging to get some juice into it real quick. but if thats true then why the gently caress isnt the lightning port built into the pencil and the adapter the add on to be used with the ipad? why is the loving easy to lose tiny adapter not a part of the pencil? have it snap on the pencil like the cap so its harder to lose. or at least include a carrying case.

gently caress

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

TOPS-420 posted:

why tf does the apple pencil even need a bluetooth radio and battery. passive styluses have been around for decades

those suck and also the pencil gives you pressure sensitivity and assists with hand/palm rejection

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

monoprice speakers are v pro for the money, polk also has good enetry level stuff if youre not trying to spend an arm and a leg

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

my guess is Austin or Seattle Area. but that’s purely speculation. areas where Apple has problems recruiting (chip development and cloud, respectively) and have the largest talent pools of people not moving to the Bay Area.

yeah this is what austin needs, more san fran centrist libertarian tech douchebros.

although its been ruined for a few years now so whatever

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cool startup feel posted:

apple should tell bmw to go gently caress themselves on this one

yeah Apple really doesn’t like anyone loving with what their brand

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

qirex posted:

e: one thing I'd forgotten before today's round of articles is that homepod requires an apple music subscription, like it won't work without it

lmao no way

but, no, what about homekit integration?

guys?

lol have any new HomeKit devices come out in the past 5 years? I think theres still just a belkin outlet thats like $60

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 26, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

absolutely devastating self own

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

qirex posted:

doing audio synchronization over a network is hard, it's extra hard when there's already a ton of patents in the area

yeah, Dante is the pro av way to do it and its outrageously expensive

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why is audio synchronization so hard exactly?

okay so take this network

this equipment is all in place, you have no control over it, no idea what brand or model it is. the bandwidth between any point to point connection may change at any moment as devices are gonna be used like normal. its all consumer grade stuff, there's no QoS and if there was, how would you automatically configure it?

in pro av all of those switches are dante compatible and are configured with an awareness of what equipment is where and what it's latency requirements are.

the absolute simplest way to do this is to push the audio file to all of your endpoints and set a start time to begin playing audio at some point in the future but then every time you skip a song or whatever it's gotta upload the audio file to all devices in the network so no real time streaming from any device

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 26, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you cant just broadcast packets, as latency is going to vary from device to device. you can get a good idea of latency differences between devices and adjust lower latency devices to delay their playback to match the others. but the second someone opens up their macbook and navigates to a webpage or downloads a file boom the latency for the entire network just changed for a few seconds and everything is out of sync

honestly its more expensive in the pro world, but overall it's "easier" because youre going to own all of the hardware from point to point and itll be on its own vlan

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Fiedler posted:

A wedding dj should be given a script with a specific playlist for the entire event and explicit instructions not to say one loving word.

no you just need to get a good dj. we used a company that had three tiers of DJ

1) DJs who have been doing it for a while but are new to the company and weddings
2) people that have been around the company and doing weddings for a while
3) one of the 3 people that own the company and this is all they have been doing for like 10 years

we did option 3 and they gave us like a 10 page form to fill out with all the info about us, what we wanted/didnt want, music we like/didnt like, must plays/dont plays

the dance floor was never empty and there was no awkward talking or anything like that

out of all the stuff we spent money on for our wedding there were two things that were worth every penny:

upgraded alcohol selection & a couple of craft beers w/ open bar
the dj

it is not a coincidence these two things worked well together

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 2, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i dont care about apple music but i am really upset that they got rid of the ad free radio if you have itunes match

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

I for one can’t wait to see the music industry flop around again like a near dead fish flopping around

lmao yeah leave it to the music industry to finally find a way to actually make money off of music and then totally gently caress it up by creating their own bespoke streaming platform that nobody will ever use

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol like i would pay for media ityool 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

DuckConference posted:

according to an outraged reddit post, the iPhone X's screen PWMs at 240Hz

lmao what? even lovely 8 bit atmel microcontrollers run pwm at like 11khz