Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
One of my MacBook (butterfly) keys was a little sticky, so I followed this informative and insightful guide to try to fix it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

As a result, now 10+ keys are far more stuck than the one that was sticking, including a completely unusable space bar :downs:

After reading other people’s experiences with this, anyone have any tips for how to avoid a lovely repair experience? Sounds like I’m gonna walk into the Apple Store appointment I have on Monday, have someone paw at the keys and say “yeah it’s out of warranty and needs the entire top to be replaced.” Aside from that taking it out of commission for longer than I’d like, it also apparently costs 400-700 dollars :/

I could try removing the keys on my own to clean but a) if any of them break its difficult to get replacements, b) I watched a MacBook Pro w/same keys very delicately remove a space bar with proper technique and it broke 3+ clips, cheapest replacement space bar for butterfly I’ve found is 70 bucks

This laptop was very needs suiting before it was crippled by keys not being able to be pressed :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU