Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

video calls twice as long, sounds like a good reason to not get one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

why on god's green earth would apple sell a computer for less money than people who buy apple computers are willing to pay?

because they want a mac mini apparently

Perplx posted:

2 usb ports really?

2 usb-a, 2 usb-c/thunderbolt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

preorders are up. macbook pros configurable up to 64GB ram, non-pro and mac mini stop at 16. lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yeah internal architecture divisions can't really be compared across companies

they mentioned it puts out 2.6 teraflops which should be big step up from the integrated intel graphics used in current macbook pros

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

apple has full control over the absolute maximum tdp of the chip so it'll probably just be like an ipad going full bore instead of whatever it is that intel does with boost behavior

an ipad or iphone going full bore can easily become uncomfortable to touch in spots so let's hope they're a little more aggressive for the laptop

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

setting a bunny suit on fire and buying a G4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the lion version of macos is a pathway to many scroll directions some consider to be... unnatural

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I used that feature at work for a while when they issued me a laptop but didn't take back the imac on my desk and it's kind of a pain. there's no way to set the imac permanently to monitor mode so every time you disconnect and reconnect them you have to do the key combo again. if you had the imac logged in it's still logged in so if you touch its input devices you might accidentally do stuff and it can still make sound. it's not a bare video connection, it's done at a higher level so it only works if the source is also a mac running the right macOS version

it was also fairly common for the setup process to fail and the imac screen remained black until I disconnected the cable and started over

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I have one of their table lamps with a built in qi pad, it's pretty cool

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the spring ios update was supposed to make faceid recognize when you're wearing a mask and fall back to pin much faster, this works most of the time for me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

that's because xcode is 95% native code, electron should be able to get away with only having arm and x86 variants for the core runtime and sharing the JS between them. but I'm guessing their packager doesn't work like that and it will output a complete copy of the JS for each target architecture until they put in the work to make it stop doing that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...which is also a horrible experience because touch UIs and mice/trackpads don't really mix

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the old struggle of manly gas guzzlers vs wimpy econoboxes, but with computers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

reportedly the m1 is so much faster than lovely intel mobile chips that even after the rosetta translation penalty performance is better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

apple has been giving a year of tv+ away with every new device since it launched

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I haven't read the books in forever but I do remember they're not particularly action-packed

every story is basically a couple of people discover/cause a diplomatic crisis, resolve it through some kind of scheme that usually culminates in verbally owning someone, and then hari seldon does a monologue about how it all went according to plan (or didn't, in the mule stories)

maybe it could be a game of thrones court drama if the stories weren't also separated by decades or centuries so there's no shared cast

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

on the other hand there's precedent for huge scifi event media about taxation of trade routes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

on-package ram is probably contributing a significant chunk of the performance so why wouldn’t they just add more there

unless they go for a non-unified DRAM bank where the 16GB is effectively a cache which would be a choice I guess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

mac pro Oops! All chips! edition

a solid block of silicon the size of a tower case. hook it up to a three phase dedicated breaker and your cold water feed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

only to charge it, really, and not very often

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

it's also about 70/30 whether it will move the cursor or decide i'm trying to type something via the swype-style input

I turned off swype input because it kept triggering while I was trying to tap type

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nintendo pippin 2020 edition

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

protip: the left suggestion in the suggestion bar is always exactly what you typed so you can tell autocorrect to move on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bring back the apple network server chonky boys

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I'm on a desktop mac so I can't check but doesn't it have a fairly detailed log of what apps have been using how much power? or is that still only on ios

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Media Bloodbath posted:

I've heard good things about the portal 2 Mac port, so that might be a better benchmark candidate.

the portal 2 mac port gets zero fps and has for the past couple years because valve never rebuilt any of their homegrown games for 64 bit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also it is named in honor of a gun that slaughtered countless innocent koreans. real classy poo poo timb :rolleyes:

uh clearly it's named after england's first highway

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

not interested until I know how long it takes to copy a 17 meg file

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Silver Alicorn posted:

what I need most in the word is a computer that can run the steam interface swiftly

you're in luck, they release a list of 500 of these every year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

lol at the very concept of playing video games on a mac

the last good mac game was marathon 2

the brief few weeks of mac exclusivity for q3test

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

escape velocity

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

this also happens in no man's sky, it's fairly common to visit the community hub and after leaving discover tens of millions of credits worth of inventory items you didn't have before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

hey the m1 chip has a neural network thingree what kind of software uses that outside tensorflow poo poo. does the a chips have it too

yes. the ML core isn't exactly a user-facing feature but there's a public API for accessing it so you might see it any time an app wants to do ML stuff. on mobile that's usually image processing, apple uses it for their fake depth of field effect in the camera app portrait mode

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

performant is comprised of many meanings

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

code signing is only an issue if you plan to distribute builds, the big sur changes all have to do with the rules surrounding app store and signed bundle distribution and how they interact with the default security settings

also iirc gatekeeper is a finder feature only applied to bundles that have been tagged as downloads before being launched, so a raw command line executable built locally from source should not trigger anything

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Merkinman posted:

Apple has invented over-ear bluetooth headphones that only cost Five Hundred and Fifty U.S. Dollars

how are these even pods any more

apple introduces the macbook air max, an eight pound boat anchor desktop replacement

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I thought that was a fancy designer handbag at first

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

I thought that was a fancy designer handbag at first

mediaphage posted:

i was torn between that or high-tech bra storage

barkbell posted:

its a bra

https://gizmodo.com/i-thought-it-was-an-ugly-titty-purse-1845835062

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

there's a secret command to silently disable biometrics somewhere, I think you rapidly hit the side button a couple of times

of course if you're wary enough in advance you can turn it off in system settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hope I'm not the only one who briefly wondered why a food delivery app would do that