Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

when you come into an Apple Fruit Stand, instead of sitting in a chair like normal people, we want you to sit on these giant wooden marbles and get roids lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

this should be changed to :apple:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJpq8S99bM

low rent apple store

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

poty posted:

spoiler alert marketing is not gonna allow the software to be called faeces

feces?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lotto-results-mega-millions-powerball-lottery/id386505750?mt=8

wow maybe part of the iPhone X support is burning the winning numbers onto your forehead with the FaceID laser

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hair force one gonna go down in flames

literally

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

dvorak has his own blog that he posts to semi regularly since nobody wants to publish him

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/

dvorak et al should relax by nibbling on a battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTWg7TqVt8

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 23, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

will they pay big bux to scarlett johannson to add a custom voice to HomePlod?

also i hear someone was asking for this

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

looking back snow leper was shameful you couldn't have 64-bit code in any GUI facing routines

however it did set the foundation for printer drivers that didn't make the mac reboot if not written properly

also its the first macos apple ever distributed on a flash key, got a 10.6.3 installer that i slapped into a safe deposit for a rainy day

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

if you couldn't get enough of the Touchy Bar:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/03/hands-on-keymand-11-brings-touch-screen-options-to-your-mac-from-a-connected-ipad

Turn your iPad into a giant goddamn Touch Bar

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Management posted:

Apple should make their own discrete gpu

probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch since they already made an integrated one to go on the A11x Bionic

but if intel gives them a price break on the vega i7s pretty sure they'd only be too happy to slap them into rmbps

more likely they'd go with intel's / vega over their own since someone's already done the work for them, plus they have a history of going with external vendors for graphics, first was ixMicro for their towers back in 1995.. AMD (ATI back then) first showed up in Macs in 1997, them and Apple have a long history

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ seem to remember imagine tech showing up at a few trade shows with a PCIe card version of their graphics chip, claimed they already had DirectX drivers already done for it, guess that was never going to make the market..

by contrast nvidias didn't show up in macs until july 2000, 5 yrs after amd/ati when geforce 2mx's were an option for the infamous g4 cube

boy i remember the days when i was flashing cheapass pc geforces to use in macs, think i still have couple of modded 6200s lying around..

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/02/apple-rd-spend-exceeds-3b-for-first-time-up-410m-from-september

$2.999 billion on iOS development, $10 bux to buy more coffee filters for the lone java maker in the macOS division

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 4, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/07/apple-on-engineer-hiring-spree-with-steady-expansion-since-2016

and not a single one is working on a new mini

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wow lookit how far the ifixit dudes had to go to open up the moan pod

lol

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HomePod++Teardown/103133

wtf... dont xacto my podo lol

heat gun and hacksaw will travel

guys.. just wait until the GSX instructions come out and copy rewrite them cleverly enough to outwit Apple's lawyers, just like you always do

this teartake apart will likely get modded as such, might add guitar picks as they usually do

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 12, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hmm, you have to have an iOS device running iOS 11.2.5 and hold the device within six inches of the homepod during setup.. why? If they both go on the same WiFi network is there some ad hoc crap that has to run first?

was helping someone set theirs up and had to update their 6s and an iPad mini 4 to 11.2.5, they kept asking me 'what's taking so long' when the 6s and mini were still running iOS 9 and 10.. :argh:

and yes I carried their printer back to my place to fix

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 13, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

how do you think the homepod gets on the wifi network to begin with?

thought it used the ad hoc wireless, forgot about a bloo bloo tooth

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 13, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

also had never used the home app up until now, never bought any of those wacky remote control light bulbs I keep seeing demo stations for at Micro Center

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

home brew is the poo poo

i type brew upgrade every night and im almost never disappointed

newest versions of python, mkvtools, and fortune specific to my OS level magically appear regularly

youtube-dl sooo good its updated from glamazon

and now a word from our sponsor

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

bottle flip
robofence
wings war of pacific
lively
motion stills

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple announces March 27th 'event'

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/apple-will-have-a-march-27th-event-focused-on-education.html

-Held at a local high school in Chicago?!

Guess this isn't where they announce the new Mac Pro.. maybe a new iPad or mini?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

im the split second the camera was on phil schiller before they decided he wasn't cool enuff to keep focus on

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SaturdayKnight posted:

current pro is a10x, the new kids iPad is a regular a10. not quite the same thing. i keep seeing people confusing the two, but the pro is definitely still more powerful.

add to this that ipad pro has 4 GB of RAM, regular ipad (including the new one) only has 2 GB

switch between a dozen apps fastrer including that game of FTL and an endless Numbers spreadsheet

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

i got an the new ipad (2018) today. it seems nice and is faster than the ipad air 1 i replaced with it

iPad Air

dual core A7 chip @1.4 GHz

PowerVR GT6430 4 cluster GPU

1 GB RAM

-- Versus --

iPad 6th Generation

quad-core A10 chip @ 2.34 GHz

PowerVR 7XT GT7600 Plus 6 cluster GPU

2 GB RAM

mmmmyeah checks out

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 4, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/apples-2019-imac-pro-will-be-shaped-by-workflows/

some more details re: 2019 mac pro

according to article it sounds like they're actually trying to understand customer needs instead of making it the other way around where they decide what's a good idea then force everyone into it

The Management posted:

the Apple TV 4K is a more powerful computer than the mini. it should replace it.

if they were smart (they're not) they'd just make the first A1X based Macs the Minis. Then if they sell enough move on to MacBooks, Pros, up the line..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 5, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nm

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

akadajet posted:

i also can't believe that they haven't figured out how to support more than 16gb of ram, but i think that's laptops in general

phil schiller constantly cites power usage as the reason they don't go to 32 GB, he keeps saying they couldn't keep offering the ten hours or whatever battery life with the amount of power LPDDR4 currently requires

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/21/apple-came-to-ireland-to-build-a-community-not-skirt-taxes-tim-cook-says

tim getting things backwards again

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

boo these people emoji

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

more like clueless hardware phil

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple Watch Series 4 can now tell if you've fallen and can't get up.

Apple posted:

watchOS 5.1

Apple Watch Series 4 automatically contacts emergency services if you are immobile for about a minute after detecting a hard fall. The watch will now also play a message that informs the responder that Apple Watch has detected a fall and shares your location coordinates when possible.

I wonder if that means if you pass out onto your bed after a long day that Apple Watch will call 911 while you're sawing logs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

meanwhile...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Stymie posted:

i don't hate them (any more than tech in general), i just recognize that they're a marketing gimmick to sell enterprise-grade hardware to prosumers

so nobody needs ssds a platter drive is good enuf, ok got it :psyduck:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

qirex posted:

if it ever came out that apple was marketing user data their stock would like double instantly

if you left cheese in space for 8 billion years wouldn't it turn into rocks?

4 billion

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

no they just gelded it from doing anything useful so you cant blow up your own machine in 'rm -rf *' style

just do everything in cli with hdiutil so simple

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

disk utility circa 2010 was pretty useful. when did it stop?

right after yosemite if i can recall correctly

after that the excuse for everything was 'we use SSDs now' so stuff like Secure Empty Trash in Finder went to, well, the trash

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if the application updated to require 10.14 while 10.11+ are still seeing regular updates then they should be calling for their vendor's head but I'm p.sure this is because they didn't bother testing and just like Mojave fly without validating

Also kind of weird because the only Macs that can take nVidia PCIe GPU cards are the old cheesegrater Pros, and if you try to run the Mojave updater in either app format or USB key, the first thing that will happen on those machines is that the installer will fail you out if you don't have a Metal compatible GPU installed. The only Metal compatible GPU card that Apple will approve of on Mojave made by nVidia is the GTX 680.

How did they upgrade, they made one master and cloned it off to every Mac?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

dunno what you're talking about since Mac Pros (the cheesegrater desktops) have no Thunderbolt

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

one weird trick: fill your Trash Can Pro with coffee grounds and watch your CPU/GPU efficiency rocket up to 1000%!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Fill your trash can Pro with literal feces and mail it to Jony Ive

don't give him any free design help ideas!!!!!!!@!@!!!