Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That'd be nice except that Apple pretty much gelded OS X Server to the point of uselessness.. I think the last version literally only offered regular AppleShare File services and Software Update caching..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

you see it’s not an apple product unless you need to buy something extra

it's not a shortcoming, it's a third party opportunity!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

have they managed to keep it from yellowing?

i don't really mind the look, but it's not quite what it was when it was new

maybe they keep a few gallons of retrobrite around

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://finbold.com/bitcoin-core-releases-update-to-potentially-natively-support-apple-silicon-m1-family-chips/

Not that this will result in M1 Ultras taking longer to order, or for nVidia card availability to increase..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

With older macs the best thing to do is look up the latest OS it can run, download it from Apple's servers (mrmacintosh blog has a comprehensive list of links to old OSes, Apple apparently keeps poo poo like Sierra and Mountain Lion online in case someone comes across an unopened Mac) slap it on a key and wait an hour or two on a machine to update its BootROM and install the OS.. you keep blank SSDs around for this express purpose, right? :v:

these days the most important thing is to update that firmware/ BootROM far enough so you can slap OpenCore Legacy patcher on it

I got Big Sur on a 2012 Mini and it's running as smooth as a gravy sandwich (except for WiFi)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

15.3.1 fixes some bugs, is a mess

15.4 adds more bugs, dont ask me how I know

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If that's the one from Craig Hunter's page, those Gflops are being measured with some super-de-duper fluid dynamics extensively horridly math-dependent-heavy application that no one else except a co-worker of Craig Hunter will ever run.

IMO it's an app that needs all of the 64 GB of RAM that Apple sent him.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Internaut! posted:

does anyone use the M1 16" MBP with an external monitor? does it heat up and/or run the fans? I had the 2019 i9 version and just plugging it into my 1440p external would cause it to melt down

as I mentioned in the hardwear thred, the 'overheat while hooked up to high-res external monitor' feature of 2019 16-inch rMBPs was a driver bug that was finally fixed in macOS 12.3.1 (12.3 had fix also but wasn't as refined as 12.3.1)

I don't have one yet, but from what I hear on MRF, 16-inch M1s don't overheat no matter what you do unless it's trying to run some high-GPU Windows game in Crossover at ultra settings.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It wasn't the i9's fault, it was a badly written AMD driver (or fuckup by Apple engineers, as usual no one is admitting anything) that must have caused some kind of race condition with the 5300 and 5500M GPUs when monitors being driven at higher than 60Hz were connected.

Supposedly the 5600 was not effected; Windows machines equipped with the same GPUs did not have this issue either.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I think you're gonna be waiting a loooooong time for Apple to sell 32 GB of RAM as a base amount on a MacBook Pro..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh noooo looook out here comes the return of Pippin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwXZexgYx0k

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I ran in here to post dis:

https://twitter.com/BasicAppleGuy/status/1524428674027515904

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

chuck enclosure in the trash, move drive to known brand enclosure such as Orico, StarTech

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/thecomputerclan/status/1532830429442715651

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

no joystick provided with Spot, mediocre

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

meanwhile, Luke Miani who obvs has too much time on his hands, tries to put an M2 logic board from the M2 MacBook Pro into an M1 chassis, thinking oh boy people will be able to upgrade their MBP's with this easy method..

All the ribbons fit, all the connectors fit, even the M2 logic board fits perfectly into the M1 chassis..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_jckhYfGBw

Buuuuttt...

it doesn't work, it won't even boot

I'm pretty sure Apple put a routine in the logic board's firmware somewhere that looks at the chassis it's installed in and if it doesn't checksum right, it'll just refuse to go any further..

Though it's also possible it didn't start since he didn't run Apple's special online only tool that you can only access as a certified AASP or Apple Store member that literally does some voodoo to tell the logic board 'it's okay to run now, you've been certified'

Although it's interesting that he claims he was able to get the M2 to start using the M1's Touch ID installed

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Speaking of, I got that game that everybody was gabbing about by Yu Suzuki, the guy who brought us such Sega greats as OutRun, AfterBurner, and Space Harrier..

It's called Air Twister and it seems to be a Metal 3 redressing of Space Harrier but with a blond broad and music that sounds like they paid a higher tier Queen cover band to do the music and it's not half bad, even on a crap 2017 MacBook Air I had to borrow..

Somehow it also magically downloaded itself onto my iPhoney 11 and it looked even better there

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

a game pad is recommended

I'm using a PlayStation 4 controller I lifted from an ex-gf's sister's house

anyone have a favorite controller? I busted my Nintendo Switch Pro controller ages ago, the CheXBox one looks decent

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

also you pretty much just see the blonde's butt most of the time and her face only in between-level cut scenes

not sure there's a moral connected to that though

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Speaking of operating systems and geek cred:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wgrz5BBk=rCz7W28Fj_o02s0Xi0OEQ3H1uQgOdFvHgx0w@mail.gmail.com/T/#u

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/08/01/linus-torvalds-uses-m2-macbook-air-to-release-linux-519

None other than Linus Torvalds Esquire Junior releases Linux 5.19 using an M2 MacBook Air

wonder if Apple sent him one or he waited on launch night like the rest of us..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

it says 'Linus showed up at One Infinite Loop and knelt down in front of the main entrance's sliding doors while employees stepped around this curious person prostrating himself and bowing down over and over to an Apple logo on a pylon while screaming "Pleeeeeeeze pleeeeeeze oh great Timbo pleeze bequeef me an Air so I can release my baby on it pllleeeeeeeezee"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well, that's what I'd do if I knew it would score me a free M2

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

As a former Titanium G4 owner whose laptop bent just from picking it up from the corner I'ma gonna go with #2, Monty

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Try visiting the Apple II retro boards on Facebook, about every other post is a photo of 'look how brand new (whitish) I made my Apple //e - ][GS - //c look with my homemade Retrobrite solution made with a dash of hydrogen peroxide, Brasso, and lemon juice'

I retrobrited an Enhanced Keyboard II myself with just some hydrogen peroxide and a tiny bit of bleach

no I won't tell you my secret forumulation or the world will run out of it

also let me show you how well gallium can be used to polish your rmbPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

iPhone 14 transition show might be on a Wednesday for once

is Hair Force One going to do another six million dollar man slow mo?

will Tim Apple crack some more dad jokes?

will Apple Arcade announce its first Japanese dating game?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 21, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hey, uh, it's that time of the year again

https://twitter.com/gregjoz/status/1562477072701800449

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I only use Apple TV+ to show poo poo to guests, currently Billie Eilish is blurring my cheap rear end 27" no name clunker 24/7

Saving grace: they have Office Space

I spend every showing saying the same thing over and over: 'Yep, this happens on my yob too'

my bosses are basically a mix of Lumbergh, Milton, and John McKinley

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

the latest Apple ad is two young hooligans turning everything into snow

just to spite the world they turn themselves at the end

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

that hearkens to the days when the browser ran faster than the incoming code

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple doesn't seem to be crowing as much about the new GPU cores, there's just this one vague statement that the GPUs run up to 30% faster.

It doesn't delineate that it's because of the extra cores they wedged into the die space or if the GPU cores themselves have been optimized..

Probably would get the base Pro CPU because I don't need every single ounce of GPU available to do mad video processing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Have to wonder why they didn't bring Johnny Srouji out for the sales video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ij9PiehENA

instead it's Tim Millet, VP of Platform Architecture

Maybe Johnny is pissed that the M2 isn't as advanced as it could be

come to think of it didn't see Hair Force One either

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 17, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

smart to not overshadow the new mbp by announcing on same day

Especially since not a single Mac laptop is mentioned in the list of compatible devices

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Supposedly the $99 HomePod Mini has an unused set of temperature and humidity sensors that will be activated with a coming software update

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Has anyone here installed a newer MacOS on their long-since-unsupported computer? My 2012 MBP finally stopped receiving Catalina updates in November of last year and I'm thinking of being very naughty by installing Ventura.

Will it run well, or am I just setting myself up for a very slow and frustrating experience?

I've been running Ventura on a Late 2013 rMBP with good ol' OCLP, works great so long as it's not anything more than web browsing / vidya viewing (no 4K) / light picture touching

you would do well to shove an SSD in that 2012 if you expect it to take less than an hour to boot though

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

Steve, why is there only one set of apple logo footprints in the sand?

that's when I pushed woz into the ocean and a tiger shark took care of the rest

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1719021344854069441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/AbdulSbeei/status/1719023878016544788