Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

can any iphonexhavers post a screenshot? I'm curious to see how or if the nudge is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/stevesi/status/963145423216095232

hmm yes, my phone not ringing until the other person has hung up is definitely the kind of bug that requires the extreme precision of the human brain to notice

this is Android 1 level of bullshit. even google has fixed the "phone.apk has stopped working" bugs

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how do you do the undo gesture on iphone reliably?

shake your phone like Michael j Fox

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

did not expect my post about mjf would generate a whole page of whitenoise during my 8 hour flight

and whoever said he's a pepsi man, thank you for getting it

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

russians actually have quite a few roundabouts, and in russian law in a roundabout with no special sings the right to drive belongs to people entering the roundabout, e.g. all traffic has to stop to let someone into the roundabout

in turkey they have lots of roundabouts.

the signage is the same as in Europe: yield signs at the entrance and and triangles painted on the ground

however, something really weird happened and the priority just kind of switched, which means people are stopping in the roundabout to let people in. nobody actually cares about the rules

this makes a weird situation where the law says one thing but everyone does the opposite. surprisingly though nobody takes advantage of that and it's not like anybody tries to get a free car with insurance fraud that way

turkey is a weird rear end country. I'm so glad I married a Turkish woman

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

carplay is cool until you try to be two people in a car. why does it insist to be a simple "mirror screen" instead of a second screen?

my co-pilot can't choose a different song without quitting apple maps on the car's screen. it's loving idiotic.

gently caress you timb

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

eschaton posted:

you don’t need to do browser fingerprinting because just sending HTML and resources to a browser doesn’t need to distinguish them

your web page certainly doesn’t need to run JavaScript, it’s not an app, it’s just a web page
the web certainly isn't just web pages anymore

webapps and the standardization of mobile apis are the best thing to happen to the mobile landscape since forever

do you really want to download an app from the app store for Every Little Thing (c)?

my company creates tiny interactive apps for events and are often one-off use. forcing people to download a native app for 5 minutes would discourage so many.

i fuckin love webapps.

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 11, 2018

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i feel bad for the probably around 1000 people worldwide who for some reason rely on an autonomous system to be plugged into an iphone or ipad at all times.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

timb... thank you

hey if you're looking for a good place to hang out around geneva or anywhere in switzerland, PM me for advice on where to go

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

the paradigm of having a program running and having focus with a menu bar and everything but no open windows is one of the dumbest ongoing ux decisions in the mac os

nah, that's just kind of normal, and everybody knows about cmd+q anyways

now, about cmd+tab behavior when there's more than one window per application

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

press cmd ` then

yeah that doesn't work out too well with non English keyboards :/

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

what's the big deal with Face ID in landscape mode? couldn't they just use the accelerometer to detect it and turn the 3D depth image 90 degrees before doing their image processing? idk...

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

infernal machines posted:

isn't that the one that runs its own ios instance?

are you thinking of the lightning to hdmi adapter? that has an ARM chip in it

https://panic.com/blog/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Not quite as impressive as the Java upgrade prompt randomly appearing.

and set to always on top, like it's the most important thing you will see all day

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

best part about this video is that finder now has an "all my files" virtual folder lmao

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

legit excited about the upcoming cheap LCD version of the iPhone X

don't care about dual camera or OLED, I just want something in the new form factor because lol@buying an obsolete design that will be abandoned soon

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i did not expect dark mode to look so weird in mail.app

are they just going to keep it displaying e-mails in white forever? can't they find a magic clever apple-style solution?

e: guess it does turn e-mails dark sometimes. but not all the time. looks weird

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 26, 2018

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

this article has some good points but is also really stupid. does that guy not realize that no matter how obvious you make a feature, you will always have a percentage of people who do not understand how to use it? like, people who do not know how to get directions from the maps app.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

just got my iPhone xr. it's very nice

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

seriously why would anyone buy an iPhone XS instead of a XR? does anyone actually care about dual cameras and ppi?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

420 buy iphones everyday

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i love macos so much i could gently caress it and cum in it

but there's one thing where i'm working with a client who regularly sends me "jpeg" files which are actually psd's with a jpeg extension. works totally fine in macos preview and in the finder and poo poo, until i upload it to a wordpress install where the image just doesn't display and that's when i realise i have to re-export the image

that's my macos story

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Linguica posted:

if macos goes to complete poo poo i will probably have to at least give desktop linux a shot before regressing to windows, ugh

hope you like nonexistent vsync

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

jesus how does something like this even happen?

so the video and audio were sent from the beginning before picking up? they were just trusting the other phone not to display it or something?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

the standalone trackpad is really good

last I checked they couldn't figure out a way to make it click if it's not perfectly flat on a table. it was tap only

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

why are electric cars still not making the sound from the j'éteins

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

you're in luck, someone bought peter a mac a while back

https://www.foobar2000.org/mac

igorrr in screenshot, what a blessed program

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i have a notchphone and not once have i ever thought about or noticed it

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

are we going to be able to upgrade the processor and storage on this Mac Pro?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

so with 1.5TB of ram can you actually mount an entire file system in the ram ? that would be pretty cool

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I have a Sony tv

it takes it one minute after boot before I can change input

the menu has so much eye candy it can't get a constant FPS

let me tell you about my Sony tv

it is a piece of poo poo

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

do those things have dedicated video decoding devices in them

yes but as far as i've looked into it (which is actually really loving far) the hardware accelerated decoding is not available in any apps not made specifically for the pi

this is because the pi uses an obscure api for sending blocks to the gpu, which is called "omx". the docs are practically nonexistent and the only reference available is omxplayer

this is annoying because while the pi 3 is perfectly capable of decoding an h264 stream in 1080p, chromium and other browsers just poo poo themselves even on a simple 480p video

this seems to have been improved in the pi 4 (well, the api is probably the same, but the proc seems to be powerful enough now for YouTube video playback) so I am legit excited to get my hands on one

we have been trying to use the pi as a kind of enhanced digital signage player for years and this could finally be the nail in the coffin for intel nucs and compute sticks

e: googled it some more, omx stands for openmax, which seems like the kind of project with a great idea but implemented by around 3 people worldwide

guess it's been a while since we dug deep into that stuff and the docs seem better now.

however i don't expect anyone working on chromium to ever bother implementing omx into their pipeline

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 24, 2019

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

actually linux still has nonexistent vsync so maybe we will never actually use one for anything important

lol

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

we tried to use wayland and built our own WebKit based browser using qt and it was okay. finally some decent vsync

however video performance was still poor

again, maybe the pi 4 will solve these issues

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Smythe posted:

Same, OP.

some more great news:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/

quote:

One notable step forward is that for Raspberry Pi 4, we are retiring the legacy graphics driver stack used on previous models. Instead, we’re using the Mesa “V3D” driver developed by Eric Anholt at Broadcom over the last five years. This offers many benefits, including OpenGL-accelerated web browsing and desktop composition, and the ability to run 3D applications in a window under X. It also eliminates roughly half of the lines of closed-source code in the platform.

mr-bison-yes.gif

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

poty posted:

what the hell is a signage player

something very few companies can actually do well

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Shaggar posted:

I would guess a controller for a sign? like something that "plays" a list of text/images/videos/etc... on a sign maybe?

you know those screens in shops, hotels, airports and poo poo that choke on a crossfade transition?

yeah, that

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i don’t care how good any other setting looks, tearing looks insanely tragic

i used to work at a concert venue and one day they decided to project movies (and make people pay cinema prices for it).

the guy who was in charge of the movies came with an ubuntu laptop and the whole 4 hours of "movies' were a tearing mess

if i were a paying audience member i would have asked for my money back. but it's amazing how so few people notice it. i had to point it out to my colleague for him to realize the mess x.org is

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mystes posted:

http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2018-February/094769.html and the ensuing discussion.

The developer did eventually give in and rename it, to be fair.
And secondly, should you censor a word that's otherwise perfectly fine
because of its use in slang? It'll get some radical activists angry for
sure so it depends on whether you see this as a good or a bad thing.
Nowadays that tends to be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

The_Franz posted:

face id on my xr is really fast and works well. by the time the screen comes to full brightness it's already unlocked and it even works with my wrap-around polarized sunglasses. touch id seemed to take longer and had a much higher failure rate

the only time it fails is when i'm in full winter gear with my face almost completely covered. ofc in those situations i'm also wearing gloves, so touch id wouldn't be any better

also against the sun it's kind of hit or miss