Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all mac books are low spec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

itunes match broke and now any album added after about two months ago isnt on my phone anymore thanks tim

working as intended

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

isn't family sharing least of your concerns now

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

they’ve always been flunkies. iTunes is not part of the software engineering org, they are their own division, what used to be the iTunes org. they are very bad at making software and there’s nobody in their leadership that is competent enough to make the changes needed to do it right.

software made by the itunes org:
iTunes
podcasts.app
the App Store app
music.app

notice that this list has an extremely high correlation with the list of the worst software that Apple makes.

its also the highest profile software they make so lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

this is a very hard problem to solve in practice. and people get angry when you use their data when you should be on WiFi.

can the cell network provide pricing details for data to help make that decision? ex: this is a business plan, go whole hog or this guy has 200mb left, maybe take it easy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

poty posted:

sure lets just get the over 9000 carriers to agree on a metadata protocol and then to implement it reliably

they can pull network options for other available features (ex roaming, visual voicemail, etc..) so why not data related features?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

the problem is really that WiFi has no real link management. all enterprise level routers do some huge hacks to make sure your phone successfully works while transitioning between access points and selects the right AP to bind to.

I wouldn't even say its that. its more that wifi link quality is subjective. someone may be ok w/ shoddy wifi if it means they don't have to use cell data where I would rather use cell data if its faster regardless of wifi quality

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the pain of using the product is part of jony ives vision

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

whats even worse than the keyboard is that customer service. :barf:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

who's gonna volunteer to be the cell network that gets throttled because they report the remaining data to phones?

seems like the ability to warn the user proactively and/or give them the option to automatically prioritize their data would be well received, but idk I never think about cell data.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

when adjusted for mac user inflation its don't even remotely consider across the board.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios has been dogshit for years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

welp, that was me mis-remembering. 1440p was the best they ever did with thunderbolt displays before they threw in the towel

shameful

apple displays were always repacked panels that dell was using which means many of them were fine and good, aside from the markup. when you look at dell and don't see them making a monitor with the specs you want, it means its not gonna work. someone at lucky goldstar somehow convinced apple otherwise and the result was the comedy anti-wifi displays.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Xaris posted:

i havent upgraded to it yet but it seems kinda awful. also my gf was showing me the message screen and all they did was put in an ugly font and bump up MESSAGES to Pt 32x because you may not have noticed you were in messages before with only a pt 12x font? idk

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wow, apple sounds really lovely to work for.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

I was issued one as a work laptop and I hate the keyboard so much. The lack of depth means I'm constantly breaking my fingernails via normal everyday typing. Clearly there are no women on the keyboard team.

There is only the hack jonny ives on that team

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
review embargos are a pretty good sign of a failed product

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

i just wanted a mighty mouse

lol nice Halloween prank!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol, keep 'em coming!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it looks like once it recognizes you it gives you the option to swipe up to show the home screen but until you do it stays on the lock screen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

speaking of iBooks remember when Apple got sued for a possible monopoly on ebooks

and amazon is all like lol

it wasn't a "possibility" they got caught red handed colluding to raise ebook prices with publishers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

the lawsuit basically ended any development efforts on iBooks and book selling and just handed the monopoly to amazon.

theres also the tiny little detail that ibooks sucked poo poo and reading on an lcd sucks double poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Apple didn’t get caught doing poo poo. They allowed publishers to set their own price, just like they let app developers and movie studios set their own price. They just didn’t expect the publishers to then go and loving collude to fix prices. (Since nobody else on the store was doing that poo poo.) The publishers were the ones who got caught, since they were the ones in the wrong. They finally had a good competitor to Amazon for ebooks and they hosed it all up.

Anyways, actual content: Sikh comic gets an IPhone X and tests it against his less-conventional hair/facial attire. (Sorry about the Facebook link.) https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155855604536419&id=512871418

apple promoted the use of apple's platform and services to coordinate the fixing of prices. they didn't say "oh just set whatever price" they said, "here are some tools so you guys can make your prices all the same like we previously discussed"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
steve jobs litterrallly said he didn't like amazons low prices and that he was going to make sure apples prices were higher and that they were all the same.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

here's the thing about monopolies in the US - you can have one and you can even abuse it to maintain it as long as you make sure it is the producers getting screwed and not the end customers.

Amazon is totally a monopoly on ebooks, but they gently caress the publishers in order to lower prices for consumers so it is a-ok as far as the law is concerned.

the apple lawsuit scared amazon enough to cave to the publishers a while back and while they don't appear to collude on pricing anymore, they aren't having their feet held to the fire by amazon like they were before. so ebook prices are not as bad as what apple wanted, but they're not as good as they were before.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

ffs why is iOS still such poo poo when it comes to switching keyboards

the only person doing quality control on ios started letting stuff through around ios 4 and then totally stopped after ios 5.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

companies and individuals don’t have a moral imperative to avoid taxes, but they also don’t have a moral obligation to pay more taxes than legally required. it is the right of every person and legal entity to use the law to their advantage to minimize their tax burden. if you’re angry about this then amend the laws to close loopholes.

it is morally and ethically correct to pay the least amount of tax legally possible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the implication being a code in which keeping the money is more ethical and moral than giving it to the government which while defensible in some respects, is mostly to rile pro-tax yosposters

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not quite 100% cause we both spend more than we take in and we also spend more on keeping boomers alive than we do on the military (tho its a close second) so theres a chance your money goes there instead!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

its certainly ugly enough

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

this is for rich women, not tech nerds

smart watches are universally for tech nerds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

it amazes me how many people actually believe “planned obsolescence” and that Apple internationally slows down your phone to make you buy a new one.

yeah its incompetence, not malice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would rather have a phone that works than ios 7+

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I miss the apple maps icon telling you to jump off a bridge because apple maps is terrible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

creationist believer posted:

like the blue bristles that tell you when it's time to get a new toothbrush, the keys let you know when to throw out your laptop and buy a new one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're both linuxes so handling user input is difficult since neither is designed for user interaction.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I used to file lots of bugs against the podcasts app. they never got fixed. they weren’t even really investigated. so I gave up on filing bugs and switched to overcast.
it is made by the same people who made iTunes. they’re idiots and don’t know how to make software. the whole org is an embarrassment.

yeah apple is super bad at software.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the hack jonny ives made a bad laptop and blamed NVidia so now you cant have good video cards.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

C.H.O.M.E posted:

from the "no poo poo" department:

"it cant cool a single gpu because we totally designed it for 2 gpus which is so many gpus. its definitely not because its a hosed up poo poo design created by the greatest hack of our generation, its because we gave you too much power in the form of 2 really bad gpus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

credit to sniep for finding this monstrosity

its the trashpro but comes with a lid