Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

idgi, aren't you just gonna put it in a case anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

qirex posted:

great financing options

aka how 90% of people buy phones today

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

why would they say anything about big sur at an iPhone event?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

brand engager posted:

When do they announce prices for the arm macs? I kinda want an arm mac mini

mac stuff is next month

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

imagine still being upset about the camera bump in tyool 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, you can tell because the posts are really bad

:eyepoop:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hmm, kinda regretting buying a macbook in July

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

a neurotic ai posted:

this is the best possible presentation of it dude. probably too early to be getting the remorse yet

well yeah, at least i can run bootcamp on this thing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wait, didn't the macbook have an intel m3 processor? I can see how this might be confusing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

It seems like this is all targeted at an ultrabook like low power envolope so far?

probably, the macbook air/pro outsells all their other macs like 5:1

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

poty posted:

that motherboard is tiny

no fan either

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

still got them fat rear end bezels

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i wonder what the "best selling pc desktop" is

idk but I know the "best selling windows laptop" is this lovely $350 Acer
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

touchbar is great, yall just haters

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

20 hours video playback holy poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

havelock posted:

yeah what intel cpu is this compared to?

it's so typically them - if they claimed 20% faster no one would blink but it has to be 5x faster which is clearly bullshit.

they're comparing it to the intel integrated graphics in their existing macbooks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

lol no price on the MBP. it’s gonna be $3000+.

They announced a price, same as the old ones. Starts at $1299

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

preorders are up. macbook pros configurable up to 64GB ram, non-pro and mac mini stop at 16. lol

only the intel MBP can be configured up to 32gb, M1 MBP is 16gb

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple edu pricing for Air is $899, maybe that’s what you thought

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

didn't they drop the new mac mini base price from $799 to $699?

yes

also “Apple will keep the same price point” is not some genius take Nostradamus

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

honestly i think the wikipedia diagram shows it best, though with a GPU:

you can stack DRAM vertically on the same package as the cpu and use an extremely high speed interface that only has to go a few millimeters between the chiplets

sold           balls

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

gray forums say that m1 can’t drive more than two displays ;(

yeah the intel mbp says one 6k display or two 4k displays while the m1 just says one 6k display

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the touhcbar is cool, I use mine all the time :shobon:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mediaphage posted:

there are people who unironically want smell-o-vision and i can barely think of anything i want the internet to be able to make me experience less than smell

i'm pretty into the mac mini. with that said i wonder if we'll see mods to add active cooling to increase the length of time it can run all-out before being thermally constrained, or if it's sufficiently locked down in firmware to make that not matter

the Mac mini and mbp have fans, only the MacBook Air is fanless

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

Hard to believe just because it’s so much faster. Though I guess I can believe Intel has been grifting for years.

not hard to believe if you’ve been paying attention to the iPads at all. the current iPad Pro outperforms the i9 MacBook Pro on most benchmarks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

what did intel lie to apple about when the processors would throttle or something? I don't see how the letting the processor throttle a lot is on intel unless it's basically impossible for it not to do that - and as far as I know other manufacturers have figured it out

no they haven’t. the only manufacturers that have figured it out are the ones building giant cooling systems, aka gaming laptops.

ultra books and MacBook competitors like the dell XPS also throttle like crazy on sustained loads.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IUG posted:

oh poo poo, I think i'm actually on catalina? whatever the newest one is. i've stopped really memorizing which os is which since the loving cat name OSs. at least google and linux names their poo poo in alphabetical order so people have a way of keeping track.

thanks for reminding me that google sold the naming rights to their android operating system lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i heard people on big slur cant open 3rd party apps today or something?

no it was caused by big sur but affected catalina as well lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:stare:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also their "3.5x CPU performance" metric is the M1 Macbook Air vs. the i7 Macbook Air released this year

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

lol it was barely a feature when it existed and stopped working after 10.14.

yeah, it was only an option on two model years iMac, and only the 27”. it was obviously a feature some engineer enabled because he thought it was neat but as soon as some hardware change occurred he couldn’t be assed to figure out how to fix it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This site is pretty neat of you want a 3d comparison of different phone models
https://www.hotspot3d.com/#compare/apple-iphone-12-mini-red/apple-iphone-se-2020-black

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

will it be like the OG MacBook that left a burn mark on my thigh

reviews i've been seeing are that the air starts throttling at around 10 minutes if running at 100% and they get mildly warm at best

I like dave2d's review for "non-overly technical but a lot of 'how does this actually feel in real world usage'" stuff. he's very to the point as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6vX6nmboU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

qirex posted:

is there such a thing as a USB C hub that just has more USB C ports?

It's actually near impossible to find ones that have >2 ports.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

coke posted:

lol @ people buying a laptop with chips from a mobile phone instead of real, powerful desktop class or workstation class cpu

also at this rate apple will catch up to nvidia's high end gpu in about 10 years

source your ars technica quotes

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zam Wesell posted:

anyone got an ETA for the M2 macs

realistically apple could be on the yearly iphone refresh cycle now which is nice

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amethyst posted:

wtf were people expecting from the m1 that you're deflated by these results lmao. I was a naysayer and these results have floored me tbqh

I think people are confusing apple rolling out m1 to their entry level machines as "this the best apple can do". there's a lot of comparisons to dGPUs and handwringing about missing ports and not being able to upgrade past 16gb of ram when this is replacing all the entry machines that only had two ports to begin with and were capped at 16gb of ram previously.

The exception is the Mac Mini was has been downgraded on ports and ram expandability but they only replaced the i3 version with the M1 so I'm guessing we'll see an upgraded version of that later that replaces the Intel one (or the fabled Mac-X mid tower :getin: )

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 19, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like the touchbar and with bettertouchtool i've found lots of useful things it can do now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

such as? (genuinely curious)

I use the golden chaos config above, but some thing I like are the one touch connect to my Bose headphones, making the volume the traditional two up down button instead of the slider, some custom quick launch app stuff, calendar notifications, stuff like that

my wife absolutely loves her stock touchbar and won’t buy another machine without it