Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

never seen someone beg for less screen real estate more in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the only notch I wanna see get deleted lives in an empty mansion in the hollywood hills :twisted:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the jet black iPhone was the best looking iPhone out of the box. it’s was also the worst looking a month later

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't get the 10 minute snooze, seems too little to do something. i will sometimes take another hours sleep if i wake up feeling tired and think i can fall back asleep.

it’s 9 minutes. has been since the first snooze alarm was invented and even carries over to digital to this day.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They do/did on their 2.5" externals but not on their 3.5"

source: worked for WD for a decade

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

macs get announced at wwdc fairly regularly

it’s about 50/50 on new hardware but we’re in the middle of a transition so we’re probably get something this time

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.somethingawful.com/twitter-tuesday/tt10-25-11/1/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

sooo does the m2 support multiple displays

it will on the pro and max eventually but not on the base.

it’s a product line differentiator

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pretty surprised we didn’t get a single peep about the Mac Pro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raluek posted:

yeah. guess I’ll just keep on with my old busted poo poo for a while longer

for some reason I thought macs were always in the summer, but I guess not. the original m1 mini came out in… November? weird

guess I just don’t know the pattern at all, besides phones in september

iPhone in September is the only guarantee. everything else just ships when it’s ready

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I actually don’t, what service is this?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the Texas factory did final assembly of the trash can mac pros, dunno if they switched over to to the new ones or not.

I do know that the phone disassembly robots are in the Texas plants though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

he seemed to think that the blue wheelchair symbol meant that the spot was reserved for the chairman.

ok that’s kinda funny

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

infernal machines posted:

ah, but you see, it wasn't fixed because it wasn't a problem. you simply do not need more than a single external display, if for some reason you think that you do, you are wrong.

this but ironically

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use the monitor built into my laptop. no wires necessary.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xbox cloud gaming works pretty well on my M1 Air :c00l:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have 5 Apple TVs and they all update the apps automatically :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple Arcade is great if you have kids because it’s a curated selection of games that have no ads and everything unlocked with no IAP. They can download whatever they want from Apple Arcade and I don’t have to pour over what IAP need to be unlocked to make the game usable

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i pay for twitch turbo

i don't really use youtube much and it feels weird. everyone seems to enjoy it but the algorithm for me is really bad and just keeps recommending me videos i don't want to watch, even from my limited number of subscriptions

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think I’m giving up my Apple Watch and going with either a gshock or some sort of garmin, something with real basic notifications. I don’t use it for much and I’m tired of charging it every day

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

seems like you skipped over the part where I don’t get much use out of it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

so buy a seiko then. why keep the annoyance of always-on notifications if battery life is a hurdle

just go old school. the pager can wait.

there’s a couple niceties I like that smartwatches have, stuff like step counters and being able to set alarms on the phone that transfer to the watch

I like the way the Casio GBD200 looks and has a few semi-smart features I might use. 2 year battery life is sweet.

https://www.casio.com/us/watches/gshock/product.GBD-200-1/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

skagen and some other fossil sub-brands have some reasonably nice looking ones that do the analogue face + digital complications, iirc they do basic fitness stuff and various notifications

oh these look pretty nice too, thanks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

is this not a thing among the Canadian version of boomers?

why is this shaped like a diaper?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Internaut! posted:

so apparently the M2 13” MBP sold out in hours or something

anyone else trying to get an M2 MBA? what’s the best way, just Apple Store app? website? third parties like Best Buy?

not sure where you’re seeing that? base configs are shipping end of week for me, custom configs are two weeks out. Apple generally doesn’t “sell out” of stuff, their ship times slip a bit

if you’re just after a stock config then I’ve usually found when ship times are a few weeks out on Apple that Best Buy has then in stock and ready to buy.

if you want a custom config then apple.com is your only choice, at least until b&h gets some

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 20, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a Plex stream of 1997-2005 WWE Raw and Smackdown episodes I fall asleep to lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I posted this elsewhere in YOSPOS but I use something called DizqueTV to create a fake TV tuner in Plex with guide data. You can then create "channels" for whatever media you want and create your own custom TV channels.

https://github.com/vexorian/dizquetv

I have set up for wrestling shows, futurama, simpsons, etc.. You just "tune in" like a regular tv show and it just plays whatever happens to be on.

it even has a function to allow you to insert "bumpers" between shows like old commercials or whatever you want if that's your jam.

It's a little janky and needs to be restarted once in a while but it's a much better system for me personally if I just want to watch some random content.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

no burglar is gonna hang out on your front porch trying to pick your lock. they’re either gonna kick in the front door or throw a rock through the window in your backyard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m a moron with a server rack in his closet so if someone breaks into my house they gotta unmount the security system

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Home Depot rolled out their own custom made PoS terminals company wide like two years before NFC started to gain traction. they have at least 15 more years until they start taking contactless payments.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

does apple publish end of support dates for the hardware they sell? i'm ready to upgrade and since i rarely need latest/greatest i'm trying to decide if i should bother with 13 or just go for 12 when the new phones drop. trying to decide if the extra 300 on two phones is worth it for me

If you’re talking about iOS updates then Apple officially supports a minimum of 3 prior iOS versions with feature and security updates. However, iOS 15 runs on an iPhone 6s, a phone released in 2017 so their support is pretty good.

if you’re talking about physical repairs then they have promised to service and stock parts any phone up to 7 years old.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mod saas posted:

Anecdotally apple was doing clearance pricing on the 12 Pro Max (and maybe others?) a few days before the event where the 13 line was announced, so I’d start paying attention

to be clear apple themselves does not discount the phone but 3rd party retailers may.

apple’s site will show full price until the keynote starts and the store goes down.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

my brother seems ULTRA excited about that apple watch ultra. maybe i should watch the presentation, but I am unsure what it gets me for 800 beans other than a flat top to signify to others that I have the best apple watch :shrug:

it’s larger, has longer battery life and second button

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just booked a genius appointment for Saturday to get my kids iPad fixed. completely forgot there’s a new phone release on Friday. lol RIP me

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iOS 16 capitalizes the word Lock Screen now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

some of you complain about the dumbest poo poo I swear

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

I still lol every time I put my phone on the charging pad and the camera bump prevents it from lying in the ideal position

I simply use a charger that’s designed to accommodate the camera bump

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

per my business partner, the solution to that is a wipe and then not restoring a backup

apparently there is cruft that accumulates when you've done years worth of in place ios updates and some of that comes along with your icloud backups.

idk enough about ios internals to say if that's bullshit, but it sounds truthy

it is bullshit, yes.

if you’re pulling backups, it’s not like an exact bit for bit backup. it just reinstalls a new OS and then reapplies specific settings. there’s no “cruft” to carry over

I’m working on a backup from the iPhone 5 and never had any major issues

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think the regular Apple Watch design is pretty boring. just a glass square. no fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

i have a z-wave danalock on my door and it rules, very nice to be able to remote unlock and have a 5 minute autolock timer, get status notifications and it still works with a key and looks like a normal door from the outside.

hacking it probably takes more skill and effort than smashing a window or picking the cylinder, and even if someone defeats it there are multiple other door and motion sensors that would trigger the alarm system

homekit is pretty smart about door locks and will not let you unlock the door unless you unlock the phone first

I got a deadbolt with an electronic keypad. I get the benefits of leaving the house without needing my keys and don’t have to mess with any IoT stuff.