Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
sitting in my eames with the lights out, watching out the window with my shotgun in my lap

come on you son of a bitch, just try me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

sitting in my eames with the lights out, watching out the window with my shotgun in my lap

come on you son of a bitch, just try me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
going to the estate sale to buy some eames loungers for pennies on the dollar to take back to my midcentury chic furniture store. going to put it on a white seamless and take some pics for the squarespace site. gallery hours tues-thurs 11am - 3pm. appointment necessary.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

dear figgies community

im thinking of buying an eames lounge chair for my (cheap) rental apartment. its like 5k. it looks good and im guessing it should have some resale value

im aware this makes me edible as per the latest yospos memes

please offer your thoughts (and prayers)

buy the chair your rear end deserves, op. figgies are made to be spent.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
out of loyalty to the pedantic roots of the great figgie debate, i feel obligated to inform you that dropping one or two figgies on a chair would require you to spend somewhere between 90% and 99% of your gross income, which seems excessive for a piece of furniture, however nice it may be

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

rjmccall posted:

out of loyalty to the pedantic roots of the great figgie debate, i feel obligated to inform you that dropping one or two figgies on a chair would require you to spend somewhere between 90% and 99% of your gross income, which seems excessive for a piece of furniture, however nice it may be

how did you reach those percentages

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a 90% reduction is a 10% retention i.e. decreasing log10(cash)+1 by exactly one, such as from a marginally middle-class income like 219k to 21.9k. 99% is a 1% retention

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
note that under this framework it is theoretically impossible to spend all your figgies, aka xeno's paradox of figgies

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

and yet, kevin

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

BONGHITZ posted:

and yet, kevin

pleasure, kevin

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I had one and sold it and would honestly buy a stressless or fjords for like half the price instead unless you absolutely needs an Eames Lounger (tm)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

rjmccall posted:

how much is 1 figgie here in dollars? $1000?
how about 2 figgies? $2000? $10000?

I need to be sure

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
a US$10000 chair sounds a bit excessive

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
counterpoint a 7$ chair probably has built in cum stains

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Symbolic Butt posted:

I need to be sure

Fiedler posted:

Given a total annual compensation X, figgies are calculated as 1 + log(base 10) X.
Given figgies F, total annual compensation is calculated as 10 ^ (F - 1).

rjmccall posted:

someone please create figgie.io to provide an official yospos figgie tool. pleasure kevin?? possibly a nwe pleasure source now that google has killed off all its side projects

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

counterpoint a 7$ chair probably has built in cum stains

a pleasure feature

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

poty posted:

dear figgies community

im thinking of buying an eames lounge chair for my (cheap) rental apartment. its like 5k. it looks good and im guessing it should have some resale value

1. they are not as comfortable as they look
2. you can get a used one w/ new upholstery for a couple grand
3. knockoffs are even cheaper

i mean it's literally made of plywood. when you live in a loving rental, there is no reason to spend $5k on plywood and stitching ok?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. they are not as comfortable as they look
2. you can get a used one w/ new upholstery for a couple grand
3. knockoffs are even cheaper

The complete guide to buying Eames furniture.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the eames soft pad aluminum lounge is the best one

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Hi Kevin,

add these to your list or i smash u

Quit figgies: $0

Fired figgies: $10k to $30k depending on the state.

Honorary Breadbasket six figgies: $75k to $99k

poty
Jun 21, 2008

power botton posted:

I had one and sold it and would honestly buy a stressless or fjords for like half the price instead unless you absolutely needs an Eames Lounger (tm)

no i dont care i just want it to be really good

poty
Jun 21, 2008

rjmccall posted:

a 90% reduction is a 10% retention i.e. decreasing log10(cash)+1 by exactly one, such as from a marginally middle-class income like 219k to 21.9k. 99% is a 1% retention

what

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm sorry, poor people generally don't understand the maths and science of figgies

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

poster who wants to buy $5k chair bad at math

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

I need to be sure

do people not understand that “figgies” means figures? “a p dece six figgies” means a six figure salary, aka $100000-$999999 (so 6.5 figgies should be $500k), so 1 figgy is $1, 2 figgies is $10, etc

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Doc Block posted:

(so 6.5 figgies should be $500k)

:raise:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
your supposed to be using some of the middle figgies on a chair, not the one's at the front

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Doc Block posted:

do people not understand that “figgies” means figures? “a p dece six figgies” means a six figure salary, aka $100000-$999999 (so 6.5 figgies should be $500k), so 1 figgy is $1, 2 figgies is $10, etc

my brain farted, but man a $10 chair is way too cheap

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Doc Block posted:

do people not understand that figgies means figures? a p dece six figgies means a six figure salary, aka $100000-$999999 (so 6.5 figgies should be $500k), so 1 figgy is $1, 2 figgies is $10, etc

that's incorrect. check out some of the math upthread to better understand figgie calcs.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
what do you think people mean when they say they make 6 figures a year, smythe?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rjmccall posted:

By convention, operations on figgies are first converted to units of currency. Thus, for figgies, 2+2 is approximately 2.3.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Doc Block posted:

6.5 figgies is approximately 316,228.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

6.5 figgies is p dece

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Fiedler posted:

6.5 figgies is approximately 316,228.

wrong, it’s 449999.5 because that’s halfway between 100000 and 999999

but probably 449999.50000001 because a computer toucher who didn’t know any better thought it’d be OK to convert it to floating point representation at some point.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Figgies do not increase linearly. If they did, then 6.5 figgies would equal $6.5.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it has long been established that a p deece six and a half figgies is 150k

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

No serious work is done in p deece figgies. It's all metric these days.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

wrong, it’s 449999.5 because that’s halfway between 100000 and 999999

but probably 449999.50000001 because a computer toucher who didn’t know any better thought it’d be OK to convert it to floating point representation at some point.

i cant believe what i did it

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

The Management posted:

it has long been established that a p deece six and a half figgies is 150k

but thats not p deece at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

power botton posted:

but thats not p deece at all

it is actually p deece indeed

• Locked thread