Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fiendly posted:

Sorry for the insanely long delays in updates everyone. I've got more videos recorded, I've just been... busy.

Take as long as you need, it's okay. I can only hope that you're alright. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Depression sucks rear end, it's like you know there's poo poo you should be working on but you just don't have the mental energy to bother with anything.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Fiendly posted:

Sorry for the insanely long delays in updates everyone. I've got more videos recorded, I've just been... busy.

Playing these games for the LP subforum is just a hobby and thank you for the trip down memory lane with Nightmare Creatures :)

You don't need to apologize.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This video is not available. Seems appropriate for the subject matter. Hope you're better soon Fiendly!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

marshmallow creep posted:

:ohdear: Please be okay, Fiendly.

Never! Update:

06 - Hampstead Heath

Nadia gets really good at pruning limbs in this level, but a new creature with even more superfluous limbs stands in her way.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Nice to see this back, I like it.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Fiendly posted:

Never! Update:

06 - Hampstead Heath

Nadia gets really good at pruning limbs in this level, but a new creature with even more superfluous limbs stands in her way.

That adrenaline meter really gets going. I forgot how persistent the combat needs to be. How annoying!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The gameplay looks super binary. Either youre stagger locking the enemies or they are locking you.
But I do see the faint beginnings of character action games in here, which does make me appreciate it all the more since thats some of my favorite genres.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's a good day to see Fiendly back!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The gameplay looks super binary. Either youre stagger locking the enemies or they are locking you.
But I do see the faint beginnings of character action games in here, which does make me appreciate it all the more since thats some of my favorite genres.

Yeah, I don't care for blocking as a feature of design since holding a button to be invincible is purely a waste of time. As much as that's a close second to the adrenaline meter for worst thing about Nightmare Creatures, it actually does scratch the character action game itch once you're used to how much it likes to hamstring its own pace.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
07 - Queenhite Docks

I was on track to have this episode posted Thursday, but a local snowstorm hosed up everything. Still managed to get it done by the end of the week at least. Anyway, I doubt I have to tell you that the name of the level is misspelled, the real-world location is called Queenhithe.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I've always been interested in this game. It's always a nice surprise when I stumble upon a new LP by you, Fiendly.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Fiendly posted:

Update:
07 - Queenhite Docks

I was on track to have this episode posted Thursday, but a local snowstorm hosed up everything. Still managed to get it done by the end of the week at least. Anyway, I doubt I have to tell you that the name of the level is misspelled, the real-world location is called Queenhithe.

That walking animation :lol:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
08 - City

The city is alive tonight as we technically round the halfway point of the LP.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

watching this is kinda making me wish I had a Playstation when I was a kid, the soundtrack is just soooooooo much better than the N64 version

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Aces High posted:

watching this is kinda making me wish I had a Playstation when I was a kid, the soundtrack is just soooooooo much better than the N64 version

Aye, they not only butchered the soundtrack and cut all the voice clips, they also had to lose all the lighting effects and set the whole game to uniform brightness, which looks much worse. The horse corpse in this video is fully visible on the N64 and looks terrible, but looks really good strategically shrouded in darkness. The N64 is better for gameplay, but the presentation is so much better in the original that I think it's the overall superior version. Too bad about all the compromises to fit the game on a cartridge.

Also, the positive comments I've gotten here are greatly appreciated. Glad people are enjoying this mess

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's too bad that the port was done before the launch of the Expansion Pak, considering what they were able to do with the Resident Evil 2 port we could've had a pretty nice port of this

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was gonna say, there's surprisingly little Bank of England in this Bank of England level, but that's actually next level, isn't it?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
You would think, but nope! Like every plot hook, the bank is a non-sequitur that they drop immediately as we'll see next time (which will hopefully be by the end of the week)

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Welp, I hosed up again and won't have a video up this week either. I am intensely sorry, but I did something else as a consolation prize.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
09 - Smithfield

Don't eat the red snow.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Fiendly posted:

Update:
09 - Smithfield

Don't eat the red snow.

Cool level. I did not remember that boss fight from when I finished this game a million years ago. I remembered the Sewer Snake but Snow Gorilla not so much.

The music seems a lot worse on the N64. It was like the old genesis fart box.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

A Perfect Twist posted:

The music seems a lot worse on the N64. It was like the old genesis fart box.

Aye, it's ridiculously terrible. There's versions of the one or two songs from the N64 on the PS1 soundtrack, but the ones on the N64 have worse instrumentation and no ambient sounds. I'm gonna restore the original soundtrack for N64 levels in editing for the rest of the LP since I have the soundtrack anyway.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I feel slightly better now about sucking so hard at the Playstation version as a kid. I think I made it to level 5 at the time so...uh....go 13 year old me.

Seriously, gently caress this game.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Does the ice spell only go in front of you? The effect makes it seem like it should be an area around you. Or was the gargoyle just too far away.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I was honestly sure the freeze spell was going to kill the gargoyle, that's why I was caught off guard and got killed. It affects a small area behind the character, as well as a bit to the left and right of what's on screen, so i guess the gargoyle just moved slightly out of range at the right moment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...man. When you started that boss fight I was all pumped for some snowball bullet hell. And then it turns out it's got, like, the easiest pattern?

That's almost insulting.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
Bonus - Cheats

We're overdue for an update, but we're super overdue for the cheatstravaganza I've been talking about since October!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 26, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

all things being equal, from a viewer's perspective that Docker glitch/bug is hilarious

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yeah, that was a pretty lucky discovery. I accidentally did the thing that loops the getting-up animation during practice, but only figured out how to do it on purpose during the final recording. I also didn't think to try and make Crowley do a high-pitched giggle until I had almost finished editing, so we really lucked into all the best parts of this video.

EDIT: I failed to point it out in the video, but severed Docker arms will also mimic our movement when we play as a Docker on the N64. You can see the limbs I blasted off wiggling around in the video until I got stuck in that glitch loop that limited my movement so badly.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 3, 2018

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
10 - Regent's Canal

Welcome back to Nightmare Creatures. Been a very long time due to illness, and my voice still isn't where I'd like it to be, but the show must go on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Glad your feeling better Fiendly. Get well soon!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Thanks! I'm mostly doing better, but I also have to move this month so that'll probably derail me again. Sorry folks, I'll get as many videos put together as I can manage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have we... ever seen Crowley? Like, his model, running away? Or has he just been this disembodied voice?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Oh yeah, we see Crowley just about everywhere, to the point of silliness in fact. There's a chase sequence with him at the end of Spitalfield, he chucks dynamite then absconds in Highgate Cemetery, he's the very last thing we see in Hampstead Heath, and he appears throughout the entirety of Queenhite Docks. Of course, he's clad in all black in a very dark game and he moves impossibly fast, so he's easy to miss, plus the last video he was in (besides the bonus) was posted January 6th, so I expect everyone has forgotten just about everything about the game between videos (I try to do a bit of recap each time for this reason).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wait, isn't that Crowley's face in the corner during the loading screens?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yep, that's him. He's also in the game over screen (which we haven't seen yet) and the opening cutscene (which we saw over six months ago) in the PlayStation version.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
11 - London Zoo

Ya wait nearly two months for a video and what do ya get? Well, I won't poison the well, but... it's the worst level in the game

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I can understand that breaking your spirit a bit. What a gongshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I think I remember playing this on the N64 as a kid but man I could not bring myself to go far into it then. That opinion isn't changing much, but I still appreciate the playthrough! You've for sure got more dedication than me on this.

• Locked thread