Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

This is indeed the horror classic whose name you likely haven't heard in twenty years. Does it hold up? Absolutely not. Join me if and only if you wish to see how poorly-made a game could be and still find an audience back in the early days of survival horror.

Also recommended for your viewing pleasure is the LP of Kalisto's The Fifth Element, which puts the Nightmare Creatures engine to a much less polished and enjoyable use.

TAG YOUR SPOILERS (Note: This game does not feature anything that can be spoiled)

Videos (Playlist)
01 - Chelsea
02 - Spitalfield
03 - Thames Tunnel
04 - India Docks
05 - Highgate Cemetery
06 - Hampstead Heath
07 - Queenhite Docks
08 - City
09 - Smithfield
Bonus - Cheats
10 - Regents Canal
11 - London Zoo
12 - Marylebone
13 - Bloomsbury
14 - Pimlico
15 - Westminster
16 - Westminster II

Monsters

Items

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
02 - Spitalfield

Aces High posted:

I didn't even know that the N64 version was a year later, I've never seen those cutscenes or heard that audio until today so thanks Fiendly :)

My distinct pleasure, I didn't know about all that cool stuff myself until I started researching for the LP and realized I'd have to buy the game twice.

dscruffy1 posted:

These werewolves of London seem like some rude boys.

But their hair is perfect.

I'm legitimately angry I didn't make this reference myself. I should have my LPers license revoked.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
03 - Thames Tunnel

This is the Day of the Dead, and as good a time as any for a sewer level.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

A Perfect Twist posted:

So much drum-machine in that boss fight.

What really gets me is that it's off tempo, like they took an Agoraphobic Nosebleed drum track and just put it under their music. It seriously reminds me of this.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Glazius posted:

I would have thought a giant quarterstaff would have more operational reach than a foot. Shows what I know.

Ignatius holds the drat thing almost vertical for all his attacks and it drives me crazy. Yet another reason I prefer Nadia.

A Perfect Twist posted:

I remember taking the playstation disc of this game and putting it in the CD player and you could listen to all the music!

Oh poo poo, I never owned a Playstation so I never would've thought to do this, but I just put the disc in my PC and indeed the whole soundtrack is on there. I already bought it off the composer's bandcamp though, because it's very good and I needed the music isolated for an upcoming video.

Rodyle posted:

Well, that's not quite accurate :v:
https://youtu.be/7rPiqo397lM

Yeah, I heard about the announcement of the third game, but I hadn't seen the trailer. It looks really bad, and the developers working on it don't inspire a lot of confidence. Nightmare Creatures has enough good ideas that a new sequel could be really good, but I'm expecting it to be another interesting mess like the original.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
04 - India Docks

A forgettable level, but it does introduce a significant mechanic. Also, it's not a sewer.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

A Perfect Twist posted:

I never knew about the sequel until you mentioned it. I looked it up on youtube. In 2000 it might have been cutting edge but looks just as bad as the original. Rob Zombie music in the cut-scenes sounds like a good get for Kalisto entertainment. Are you going to LP that as well?

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about the sequel. As of right now, I don't own and have never played it, and all I know about it is the Rob Zombie thing. It's on my radar, but no specific plans yet.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update
05 - Highgate Cemetery

https://elmobo.bandcamp.com/album/nightmare-creatures-original-game-soundtrack

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 7, 2017

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
We'll be seeing passwords when I get around to showing off the cheats, and I've figured out how to use passwords to minimize the damage the next time a recording gets corrupted (which is inevitable, don't record the N64 if you can help it), but I uploaded the footage of the password screen I already had recorded for ya here

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dreadwroth posted:

I actually played the sequel and remember it being not completely awful, probably some rosey nostalgia I'm sure.
OH poo poo yeah look at this poo poo right here.
So loving spooky

I owe Rob Zombie for his cheap licensing fees making so many improbable PS1 sequels possible. Nightmare Creatures 2 does look pretty cool from what little I've seen, and it apparently drops the false premise of being horror and admits it's an action game. I'm definitely gonna pick it up at some point whether or not I decide to LP it

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

EagerSleeper posted:

There seems to be remake of this game planned, and it seems quite... well, see for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suzAp7PAnRw

They're saying that's a revival, the third game in the series that everyone's always wanted. Usually a trailer that doesn't show any gameplay looks too good to be true, good on them for showing us nothing and still making it look terrible. The team working on this is best known for Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion and an unreleased game about the band Psychostick, so I've got high hopes.

Sorry for the insanely long delays in updates everyone. I've got more videos recorded, I've just been... busy.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

marshmallow creep posted:

:ohdear: Please be okay, Fiendly.

Never! Update:

06 - Hampstead Heath

Nadia gets really good at pruning limbs in this level, but a new creature with even more superfluous limbs stands in her way.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The gameplay looks super binary. Either youre stagger locking the enemies or they are locking you.
But I do see the faint beginnings of character action games in here, which does make me appreciate it all the more since thats some of my favorite genres.

Yeah, I don't care for blocking as a feature of design since holding a button to be invincible is purely a waste of time. As much as that's a close second to the adrenaline meter for worst thing about Nightmare Creatures, it actually does scratch the character action game itch once you're used to how much it likes to hamstring its own pace.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
07 - Queenhite Docks

I was on track to have this episode posted Thursday, but a local snowstorm hosed up everything. Still managed to get it done by the end of the week at least. Anyway, I doubt I have to tell you that the name of the level is misspelled, the real-world location is called Queenhithe.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
08 - City

The city is alive tonight as we technically round the halfway point of the LP.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Aces High posted:

watching this is kinda making me wish I had a Playstation when I was a kid, the soundtrack is just soooooooo much better than the N64 version

Aye, they not only butchered the soundtrack and cut all the voice clips, they also had to lose all the lighting effects and set the whole game to uniform brightness, which looks much worse. The horse corpse in this video is fully visible on the N64 and looks terrible, but looks really good strategically shrouded in darkness. The N64 is better for gameplay, but the presentation is so much better in the original that I think it's the overall superior version. Too bad about all the compromises to fit the game on a cartridge.

Also, the positive comments I've gotten here are greatly appreciated. Glad people are enjoying this mess

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
You would think, but nope! Like every plot hook, the bank is a non-sequitur that they drop immediately as we'll see next time (which will hopefully be by the end of the week)

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Welp, I hosed up again and won't have a video up this week either. I am intensely sorry, but I did something else as a consolation prize.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
09 - Smithfield

Don't eat the red snow.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

A Perfect Twist posted:

The music seems a lot worse on the N64. It was like the old genesis fart box.

Aye, it's ridiculously terrible. There's versions of the one or two songs from the N64 on the PS1 soundtrack, but the ones on the N64 have worse instrumentation and no ambient sounds. I'm gonna restore the original soundtrack for N64 levels in editing for the rest of the LP since I have the soundtrack anyway.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I was honestly sure the freeze spell was going to kill the gargoyle, that's why I was caught off guard and got killed. It affects a small area behind the character, as well as a bit to the left and right of what's on screen, so i guess the gargoyle just moved slightly out of range at the right moment.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
Bonus - Cheats

We're overdue for an update, but we're super overdue for the cheatstravaganza I've been talking about since October!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 26, 2018

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yeah, that was a pretty lucky discovery. I accidentally did the thing that loops the getting-up animation during practice, but only figured out how to do it on purpose during the final recording. I also didn't think to try and make Crowley do a high-pitched giggle until I had almost finished editing, so we really lucked into all the best parts of this video.

EDIT: I failed to point it out in the video, but severed Docker arms will also mimic our movement when we play as a Docker on the N64. You can see the limbs I blasted off wiggling around in the video until I got stuck in that glitch loop that limited my movement so badly.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 3, 2018

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
10 - Regent's Canal

Welcome back to Nightmare Creatures. Been a very long time due to illness, and my voice still isn't where I'd like it to be, but the show must go on.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Thanks! I'm mostly doing better, but I also have to move this month so that'll probably derail me again. Sorry folks, I'll get as many videos put together as I can manage.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Oh yeah, we see Crowley just about everywhere, to the point of silliness in fact. There's a chase sequence with him at the end of Spitalfield, he chucks dynamite then absconds in Highgate Cemetery, he's the very last thing we see in Hampstead Heath, and he appears throughout the entirety of Queenhite Docks. Of course, he's clad in all black in a very dark game and he moves impossibly fast, so he's easy to miss, plus the last video he was in (besides the bonus) was posted January 6th, so I expect everyone has forgotten just about everything about the game between videos (I try to do a bit of recap each time for this reason).

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yep, that's him. He's also in the game over screen (which we haven't seen yet) and the opening cutscene (which we saw over six months ago) in the PlayStation version.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
11 - London Zoo

Ya wait nearly two months for a video and what do ya get? Well, I won't poison the well, but... it's the worst level in the game

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Aces High posted:

I can understand that breaking your spirit a bit. What a gongshow

Coming back from a hiatus to... this did sap my motivation quite a bit. Regent's Canal was actually the farthest level I was able to reach before the LP, so I was interested in getting to some new stuff, and visit both a zoo and a museum, but, yeesh.

dscruffy1 posted:

I think I remember playing this on the N64 as a kid but man I could not bring myself to go far into it then.

Can't blame ya, before starting the LP I described this game as "unplayable" because my two practice runs ended in an almost unwinnable state where I was completely out of extra lives and health orbs. I play each level a minimum of three times so I can be sure I'm being as thrifty as possible with items, and Nadia's still almost out because of some stuff that got fixed in the N64 version, but I'll get to that in a few videos (which probably won't take numerous months this time).

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
12 - Marylebone

I might take a short break here (much shorter than my absurd absences from the LP though) to prepare Something that I think will serve the remaining videos. Until then, have a much-needed palette cleanser level

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
13 - Bloomsbury

Turns out my short break is the shortest amount of time between videos in recent memory, and it's gonna get shorter from here. What remains of the game has an excellent momentum to it, so I'm going to try to post another video every day for the rest of this week to finish the LP by the end of the month, unless I burn out and fail! Also, the OP is now complete (except for the remaining videos) so go check out Kalisto's pithy comments about all the items and monsters in the game.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
14 - Pimlico

The fire rages on, but one gigantic mutant is too busy throwing knives to care.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Aces High posted:

I'm a little confused, does the N64 version have more weapon upgrades in it than the PS1 version? Man they really made the game easier if that's the case

Nope, upgrade locations are the same between versions, I just skipped the third upgrade with Nadia so I can show off its secondary location. They did still use the last upgrade to make the N64 version dramatically easier, though, as we'll see in the next video, which should be up later today.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

CzarChasm posted:

So, on the PS1 version, IIRC, the flames would burn away part of your character model (and you would die). But if you used cheats and kept healing yourself, your limbs would blacken and disappear, and you could just continue on with a one legged, one armed player.

I'll have to experiment with this, I've noticed my limbs go transparent when they're on fire but I didn't know they they could stay gone. Hopefully I can get that to work.

Aces High posted:

I am now in uncharted territory for this game

You won't be there for long because...

Update:
15 - Westminster

We've made it to the final level of Nightmare Creatures.

Not the end of the LP, though. I'll have to break my promise to rush to the end, recording issues caused significant delays and my plans for the finale are very ambitious, so I want to take enough time to get everything done right. I'll see you with the ending when it's ready!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Aces High posted:

I was 1 level from the end? Wow, just wow

Can't say I blame ya for not getting past the Ripper boss, it took me about an hour to get a deathless run. Dozens of my other attempts ended in Game Overs, it's way harder than the video implies unless you take intentional deaths and hit the switches during respawn invincibility.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
16 - Wesminster II

Game Over. Time to check out everything I could find that's tangentially related to the game.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Ramos posted:

Thanks for the Let's Play. I had played this game a number of times at a friend's house when it was on some demo disk and we were never able to really manage anything with it. Nice seeing what the heck was up with it.

Whole reason I did this LP was because it's been stuck in my head for nearly twenty years. Not in the usual "I vaguely recall liking that game" way, but because on the way to return it after one of my rentals, Manic Monday by The Bangles came on the radio, and since then, every time I hear an 80s pop song with a female singer, I think Nightmare Creatures. Now I can at least have specific memories when that happens.

Aces High posted:

that's a pretty cool interactive credits room. Thanks for the LP Fiendly, after 8 years since I last played this game I finally got to see the end of this game :v:

As with a lot of games I LP, there's something to be said for not seeing the ending, it's that disappointing. The lead up to the end is pretty solid, though, up until Crowley drinks his flask of cool refreshing Mountain Dew and watches you fight a monster that just happens to have the same haircut he does.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

UnSmith posted:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Nightmare Creatures II now?

Profoundly unlikely. I only got through this game by having two characters, two versions, glitches, cheats, and weird inaccurate references to real historical events and figures to talk about, and NC2 has none of those things. I've watched some videos of it and haven't found a single frame with color in it, the entire game is black and grey with splashes of blood, like Madworld without stylization. I could only do it with a co-commentator, and I don't really do that anymore, plus I'd feel bad subjecting anyone to that. I've got my eye on a better PS1-era Halloween horror game made by French developers anyway.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Silent Hill came out between NC1 and NC2, and it seems impossible that they didn't design the entire game to be a middle ground between Silent Hill and Rob Zombie.

CzarChasm posted:

But don't put yourself through this because the end is distilled bullshit. I'll spoil it but to be perfectly honest, I might be misremembering slightly.

That honestly sounds much cooler than anything else I've seen from NC2, even with the heaps of bullshit. Having a bad ending is pretty faithful to the original, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

anilEhilated posted:

Please tell me it's Devil Inside.

Was wondering when someone was going to pick up on that. Never heard of Devil Inside and it's really hard to find info because of the generic title, but it's on the radar now. Might as well spoil what I was talking about since it's not likely to come up again until October, it's Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare.

• Locked thread