Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

:siren:We're not dead, I promise!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helWlvkuuFk

Apologies for the delay on this update. We had some unexpected things come up last week. As this week is one of those silly American holidays and we're all Americans... we might not get to record for an update this weekend either. Talk amongst yourselves in the meantime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

:siren:We're not dead, I promise!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helWlvkuuFk

Apologies for the delay on this update. We had some unexpected things come up last week. As this week is one of those silly American holidays and we're all Americans... we might not get to record for an update this weekend either. Talk amongst yourselves in the meantime!

You want a sea chanty? Oh, I'll give you one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR6_1KtAyNc (:nws:, very childish)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm still posting in here! I just have lots of school and stuff.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Hello friends, time for an update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSqI8MBDDG0

Edgelord dragons and Smash chat. Why not?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Slowly catching up with this goodness :3:

Gore is such a cool monster! There's going to be some MHWorld bigtime presentation in like 12 hours worldwide in multiple languages, part of me hopes for catmode more than unveiling a free G-rank but don't tell anybody that..

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To elaborate on what Liquidy said, keep in mind that Lagiacrus had to be cut because its neck was causing issues in the World engine so don't assume that every monster can be added with ease. There's a reason the only new monsters to be added through DLC are Deviljho, Kulve Taroth, Lunastra, and Behemoth and they were released months apart.

I honestly prefer World because it controls a lot better than Gen U, Silver saw how I fumbled around with the GU because I'm so used to World. Plus the QoL things like the radial menu make it much more enjoyable.

I'm also not sure how Prowler would even work in World seeing as you're restricted to a single cat and World gives the hunter unlimited nets, pickaxes, etc; taking away the one thing Prowler had over the hunter in G(U) beyond the palico types which I don't see being brought back thanks to Palico gadgets. The only thing way I could see it work is by renaming it Tailraider mode and giving your cat the ability to recruit any two tailraiders (Grimalkyne, Gajalaka, palicoes of other hunters and small monsters) for assistance but even then it'd be more for fun gimmick mode than a necessity like it is in G(U).

It's the same reason I cannot see Hunter arts/styles coming back since World integrated moves from them into the your weapon's move pool. I'd honestly rather see underwater combat return since you could do more with that in World's engine and it'd be a good excuse to bring Lagiacrus into World with its proper move set rather than in Ivory Lagi move pool it's been using since 4.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 25, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:It's a day late but heeeeeere's an update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwK8lxRz0bU

We had some confusion over whether you can break Tigrex's back. Maybe ya'll can weigh in on that. His back certainly looked broken but none of my usual sources mention a back break. Mysterious!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 12, 2018

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

This is what set me off in the beginning of the video. Earlier I had to fight krystal because I didn't want to leave a spirit behind in the adventure mode of Smash Ultimate. Of course, they used the gross, skeevy version of krystal so I had to immediately dismiss that trash as fast as I could. Then I gloated at Silver because she inexplicably likes krystal and I'm a bad friend :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

liquidypoo posted:

This is what set me off in the beginning of the video. Earlier I had to fight krystal because I didn't want to leave a spirit behind in the adventure mode of Smash Ultimate. Of course, they used the gross, skeevy version of krystal so I had to immediately dismiss that trash as fast as I could. Then I gloated at Silver because she inexplicably likes krystal and I'm a bad friend :v:

to be fair, I'm not sure "skintight jumpsuit" is any less skeevy than loincloth and bra.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh Behemoth, allow me to rant about this mother fucker!

First and foremost, you don't approach it as a normal hunt. Instead you have one dedicated healer and a tank to draw its enmity so it won't summon tornados and cover the area with them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when you hit certain damage thresholds, it will bring down a giant :fuckoff: meteor called the Ecliptic Meteor and if you are not somewhere safe like hiding inside the tent at camp, sitting at the table where you can eat, or hiding behind one of the comets or if you mistime using the Jump gesture when that thing hits, you're dead even with maximum health.

Now normal Behemoth summons one Ecliptic Meteor in the second phase, and second one in the third phase, and one last one as it dies.

Extreme Behemoth on the other hand summons one in phase one, a second in phase two like normal, then summons one in phase three without comets if you don't do enough damage to drive into the final phase before a time limit and then summons three Ecliptic Meteors during the final phase when you damage it enough with the last one being its dying breath "gently caress you".

Oh and just for added fun, the threshold for each Ecliptic Meteor is very low and it drops one comet immediately before dropping the Ecliptic Meteor so you have to stop attacking when you see the comet cause otherwise you may hit threshold for the following Ecliptic Meteor before the first one is even dropped meaning it will drop two Ecliptic Meteors in a row. And since the Ecliptic Meteor breaks comets upon impact with the ground, you have no comets to hide behind during the second one.

Oh and you can't use items while it's dropping the Ecliptic Meteor so no Farcastering to safety or healing/sharpening while in cover. Not to mention it pelts you with small meteors and the comets can be broken if you're not careful.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 27, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Cat update for cat thread!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYUXuhrZAME

This'll be the last video before Christmas. Everyone please enjoy your holidays and be safe!

Bonus screenshot of my weapon usage thus far in my main file:

Yes, it will cat

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, it will cat

Are you sure?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

...how did that skeleton cat EAT FOOD?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Just to note something regarding Brachy, the explosive green substance is thought to be a unique slime mold that is primed to explode by an element in the monster's saliva. Additionally, Brachy is another Monstie that has the Mega Breaker ability like Deviljho and Glavenus with its second ability being a roar that intimidates or angers enemies on the field:

The more interesting thing is the Evangelion-themed Variant of Brachydios introduced in the Android and iOS game Monster Hunter Explore as part of a collaboration:

Blast as a weapon status is good for breaking parts especially when paired with the Partbreaker and Bombardier skills since it does a considerable amount of part-breaking damage.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 20, 2018

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Oh, right. I think I mentioned something about disco Brachydios music, maybe? Should probably drop a link for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SajvIYjPqMw

Just a heads up: the related videos/songs may contain monster themes for monsters we haven't seen yet, you've been warned. That said, I find some of the disco versions nigh unrecognizable, so you should be fine to check those out if you're so inclined.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Last update of 2018:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDr_XdEuxYQ

Next time, NEW YEAR NEW RANK!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Not sure if it was stated what game Chaos Magala was from, but it's from 4U.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Seregios attacked a Rathian and the quest is flat out scripted to fail. In Stories it is capable of flying you around the area maps though since the story not only gives you a monstie capable of this as well and earlier than Seregios but requires said monstie to be in your party until post game, there's not a lot of point to getting a Seregios:

Chaos Gore isn't just a Gore undergoing puberty but rather one that failed to molt properly into a Shagaru Magala do to with molting in the vicinity of a Shagaru Magala's territory and being effected by the Shagaru Magala's virus, preventing the Gore Magala from molting properly and thus is slowly dying as a result since Virus typically kills the infected monster baring one notable exception that was exclusive to 4U.

The Frenzy Virus is also making making the Gore more violent since a Gore Magala that hasn't molted correctly loses control of the Virus and has no resistance against it.

Even more disturbingly, Shagaru's Frenzy Virus mist also contains their parasitic offspring. These offspring live in an infected host, whether it is dead or alive, and use their host's body as nursery. They get their nutrition and everything they need from their host before eventually bursting out of their host's body as a Gore Magala.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

New Year/Christmas present from a friend just arrived!

She does glass etching and asked me what I would like. The choice was obvious. Happy New Year, cat friends!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia Part 7

Hello again, viewers! This one is a mite overude. Things kinda got away from me and suddenly I realized "Oh poo poo, we've met a bunch of new monsters!" As such, some of our newest friends will have to wait until the next entry for their full write up. For now, meet some of our newest friends victims!

As usual, click on a monster's name to be taken to its Monster Hunter Wiki page.

And as always, for monster drops:

C= Common
U= Uncommon
R= Rare
S= Stupidly rare

For a complete and accurate list of loot, and more, I heartily recommend checking out MHGU DB or Ping's Dex (Mirror).

Rathalos

Family: Flying Wyvern

Habitat: Everywhere except deserts

Threat Level: *****

Introduced: Monster Hunter

Primary Element- Fire

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Poison, Dung Bomb(ay), High Wind Pressure, Flash Bomb

Weaknesses- Lightning, Dragon, Blast, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Head, Back, Wings, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Rathalos Scale (C), Rathalos Shell (U), Rathalos Webbing (R), Flame Sac (S), Rath Marrow (S)

Tail Carve- Rathalos Tail (C), Rathalos Scale (R), Rath Marrow (S), Rathalos Plate (S)

Capture- Rathalos Shell (C), Rathalos Webbing (U), Rathalos Tail (R), Rath Marrow (S), Rathalos Plate (S)

Break Head- Rathalos Scale (C), Rathalos Shell (U), Rathalos Plate (S)

Break Back- Rathalos Shell (C), Rath Marrow (U), Rathalos Plate (S)

Break Wings- Rath Wingtalon (C), Wyvern Claw (x4) (R), Rathalos Webbing (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Rathalos Scale (R), Rathalos Plate (S)
For complete list of loot, click here

Monsterpedia posted:

Terrible wyverns called "Kings of the Skies". Along with Rathians, they stake wide territories centered around their nests. Rathalos descend on invaders from the sky, attacking with poison claws and breath of fire.

Lagiacus

Family: Leviathan

Habitat: Deserted Island, Misty Peaks, Jungle, Ruined Pinnacle

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3

Primary Element- Lightning

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Stun, Nulberry

Weakness- Fire, Poison, Blast

Breakable Bits- Head, Front Claws, Chest, Back, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Lagiacrus Hide (C), Lagiacrus Scale (R), Lagiacrus Claw (R), Shell Shocker (S), Small Lobstershell (S)

Tail Carve- Lagiacrus Tail (C), Lagiacrus Scale (U), Lagiacrus Plate (S)

Capture- Lagiacrus Hide (U), Lagiacrus Shocker (U), Lagiacrus Tail (R), Small Lobstershell (S), Lagiacrus Plate (S)

Break Head- Lagiacrus Horn (C), Lagiacrus Scale (R), Small Lobstershell (S), Lagiacrus Plate (S)

Break Front Claws- Lagiacrus Claw (U), Lagiacrus Scale (U), Wyvern Claw (x4) (R)

Break Chest- Lagiacrus Hide (C), Lagiacrus Scale (U)

Break Back- Lagiacrus Shocker (C), Lagiacrus Scale (U)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Lagiacrus Scale (R), Small Lobstershell (S), Lagiacrus Plate (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Leviathans that exist at the top of the aquatic food chain. Feared by sailors as the "Lords of the Seas", Lagiacrus store enough electricity in their spinal organs to make the oceans surge. Occasionally they can be found resting on land as well.

Uroktor

Family: Leviathan

Habitat: Volcano, Volcanic Hollow

Threat Level: **

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Uroktor Scale (C), Monster Bone M (U), Dragonfell Berry (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Leviathans that inhabit volcanoes. Noted for swarming around larger monsters' kills in order to feed. Uroktor rarely hunt for themselves, but stab upward at prey from the ground when they do. Known for being highly aggressive.

Blango

Family: Fanged Beast

Habitat: Arctic Ridge

Introduced: Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Blango Pelt (C), Sharp Claw (U), Brute Bone (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

A Pelagus covered in entirely in white fur. Known to move in packs and led by a Blangonga. The Blangonga exerts tight control over the group, and any call to gather will be met immediately by the rank and file Blangos.

Blangonga

Habitat: Arctic Ridge

Threat Level: ****

Primary Element- Ice

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Snowman (Soothing Roll), Tremor, Nulberry

Weaknesses- Fire, Lightning, Poison, Sleep, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Fangs, Tail

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Blangonga Pelt (C), Blangonga Whisker (R), Blangonga Fang (S), Jumbo Bone (S)

Capture- Blangonga Whisker (U), Blangonga Pelt (U), Jumbo Bone (R), Blangonga Tail (S)

Break Fangs- Blangonga Fang (C)

Break Tail- Blangonga Tail (C), Blangonga Pelt (U)

Shiny Drop- Territorial Dung (C), Blangonga Pelt (R), Dung (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Leader of a Blango pack, it is twice as large and recognized by its giant fangs and whiskers. It sends its pack to attack any trespassers. Its jumping power allows it great mobility in its home range of the Arctic Ridge.

Remobra

Habitat: Volcano, Dunes, Jungle, Desert, Frozen Seaway, Volcanic Hollow, Ancestral Steppe, Ruined Pinnacle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Remobra Hide (C), Striped Skin (U), Remobra Head (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Small but agile flying wyverns that seek out weakened creatures to attack. Often seen near elder dragons, they're considered a portent of disaster. The discovery of Najarala led to their reclassification as Snake Wyverns.

Glavenus

Family: Brute Wyvern

Habitat: Volcano, Jurrassic Frontier, Volcanic Hollow, Dunes, Desert, Jungle

Introduced: Monster Hunter Generations

Primary Element- Fire

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Tremor, Dung Bomb(ay)

Weakness- Water, Poison

Breakable Bits- Head (x2), Front Legs, Back (x2), Tail*, Tail Cut**

* Tail must be broken before it can be cut
** Tail can only be severed while heated

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Glavenus Scale (C), Glavenus Fang (R), Glavenus Shell (R), Glavenus Pyroshell (R)

Tail Carve- Glavenus Tail (C), Glavenus Tailpiece (R), Glavenus Plate (S)

Capture- Glavenus Pyroshell (U), Flaming Bursa (R), Glavenus Shell (R), Glavenus Tail (R), Glavenus Tailpiece (x2) (S)

Break Head- Glavenus Fang (x2) (U), Flaming Bursa (U), Glavenus Fang (R), Glavenus Pyroshell (R), Glavenus Plate (S)

Break Front Legs- Glavenus Scale (C), Glavenus Shell (U)

Break Back- Glavenus Pyroshell (C), Glavenus Shell (R)

Break Tail- Glavenus Tailpiece (x2) (C), Glavenus Pyroshell (R), Glavenus Tailpiece (x3) (R), Glavenus Scale (S)

Shiny Drop***- Wyvern Tear (C), Flaming Bursa (R), Glavenus Plate (S)

*** If you attack Glavenus' throat while it's glowing red, the monster will fall over and drop a shiny

Monsterpedia posted:

A brute wyvern that can bring its mighty tail down on foes like a massive sword, decimating them in an explosion of flames created from the volatile components found in its scales. If its tail dulls from accumulated soot, a Glavenus will use its fangs to resharpen it.

Zinogre

Family: Fanged Wyvern

Habitat: Deserted Island, Misty Peaks, Jurassic Frontier, Verdant Hills, Primal Forest, Frozen Seaway, Jungle, Ruined Pinnacle

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Stun, High Wind Pressure, Nulberry, Dung Bomb(ay)

Weaknesses- Ice, Water, Poison, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Horns (x2), Front Claws, Back, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Zinogre Shell (U), Zinogre Shockfur (R), Zinogre Shocker (R), Zinogre Claw (R), Zinogre Plate (S)

Tail Carve- Zinogre Tail (C), Zinogre Shell (R), Zinogre Shockfur (S), Zinogre Plate (S)

Capture- Zinogre Shockfur (U), Zinogre Shocker (U), Zinogre Claw (R), Zinogre Shell (x2) (S), Fulgurbug (x2) (S), Zinogre Plate (S)

Break Horns- Zinogre Horn (C), Zinogre Shell (R), Zinogre Plate (S)

Break Front Claws- Zinogre Claw (C), Zinogre Claw (x2) (R), Zinogre Shocker (S)

Break Back- Zinogre Shocker (C), Zinogre Shockfur (U), Zinogre Shell (S)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Fulgurbug (R), Zinogre Shell (S), Zinogre Plate (S)

Bug Net on Back*- Fulgurbug (C), Zinogre Shockfur (S)

* When monster is knocked over, Bug Net prompt appears when standing next to back

Monsterpedia posted:

Fanged wyverns whose bodies are streaked with electricity. Sharp claws and strong limbs allow them to thrive in mountainous terrain. During hunts, they gather numerous Thunderbugs to boost their power and enter a supercharged state.

Gore Magala

Family: Unknown

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Deserted Island, Ancestral Steppe, Primal Forest, Ruined Pinnacle

Introduced: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- HG Earplugs, Nulberry, Tremor, Dung Bomb(ay), Wind Pressure

Weaknesses- Fire, Poison, Blast

Breakable Bits- Head, Feelers*, Wingarms, Wings, Tail (cut)

* Feelers are only out (and therefore breakable) when enraged

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Gore Magala Scale (U), Gore Magala Shell (U), Gore Magala Ripclaw (R), Gore Magala Wing (S), Gore Magala Plate (S)

Tail Carve- Gore Magala Tail (C), Gore Magala Scale (R), Gore Magala Plate (S)

Capture- Gore Magala Shell (U), Gore Magala Wing (U), Defiled Scale (R), Gore Magala Feeler (R)

Break Head- Defiled Scale (C), Gore Magala Scale (U), Gore Magala Plate (S)

Break Feelers*- Gore Magala Feeler (C)

Break Wings- Gore Magala Wing (C), Gore Magala Scale (U)

Break Wingarms- Gore Magala Ripclaw (U), Gore Magala Scale (U), Defiled Scale (R)

Shiny Drop- Frenzy Shard (C), Gore Magala Scale (R), Gore Magala Plate (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

A bizarre wyvern that, when threatened, scatters pollen-like scales that heighten its own senses while causing detrimental effects to any other creatures that inhale them. As elusive as it is mysterious.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 1, 2021

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Alright,

1. I find it hilarious that the rarities almost spell "Curse"

2. Why do you need a specific element to break a part, that sounds stupid

3. Bug...net...on...back? That's even weirder than the specific element thing.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Silegna posted:

2. blangonga is stupid

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Silegna posted:

3. Bug...net...on...back? That's even weirder than the specific element thing.

To be fair, it makes sense when you understand how Zinogre's electricity works which I admittedly didn't talk about so let me remedy that now.

You see, while Zinogre's body is highly conductive of electricity, it cannot produce any on its own. Instead it shares a symbiotic relationship with Thunderbugs, which supply it with the electrical energy it needs in exchange for protection. In fact Fulgurbugs are these Thunderbugs which have been stimulated by Zinogre.

As a Monstie Zinogre have to the ability to jump between gaps, an ability shared with the Velocidrome, Gendrome, Iodrome, and another monster we'll be seeing later:

Interestingly enough our Felyne companion in Stories, Navirou is revealed to have been kidnapped by the mad scientist and main villain of Stories Doctor Manelger who experimented on him with Zinogre genes prior to finding his way to Hakum Village resulting in Navirou's current appearance and the ability to transform into an electrically charged form.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Strap in, folks, it's update time!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDhpugCOmk

And BONUS CONTENT!

Here is Congalala's special move from Monster Hunter Stories, featuring my own Congalala ride-on buddy, MarioFarty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EBmUOZSgWY

I believe this is the thing Liquidypoo was referring to in the video. If it is not this, I'll find what it is and post that too!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Yay, Tucker was helping!

And I was underwhelmed by Congalalalala's utility as a Monstie. I swapped it out pretty darned quick.

New Elder Dragon! Called Valtrex, I ... think? ! Something something Herpes Simplex joke

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Valstrax.

And you are correct Falcon, Kirin is the other monstie capable of Jumping between gaps besides the aforementioned Zinogre:

Kirin is also the basis for the Unknown class Epona whom you get for winning the Legend of Zelda: Triforce Cup Tournament:

Congalala has the field ability to Climb and Mushroom Detect:

What's funny is that Navirou in the Ride On anime goes through a Rite of Channeling to obtain the abilities of a Congalala in addition to Zinogre. I actually don't mind Navirou as a character, his dub voice wasn't great but I have a high tolerance for characters other people find annoying plus I like his buddies the Numbers.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 8, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Prowlers and Mew: Ultimeowt Edition Part 2

Hello, gentle viewers! Today we will continue to explore what cats are capable of in their Ultimate form. Spefically, we'll cover ideal Prowler builds.

All right, so the basic stuff about scouting for cats still holds from Generations. The main difference is, previously you couldn't scout cats higher than level 20. In Generations Ultimate, Prowler Quests in the High Rank Village campaign, or G-Rank Hub, raise the scouting level cap to level 35, and then a final time to level 60. Both the maximum scout level and level cap are unlocked in G4, so either way you'll be doing a lot of questing. Let's build a cat that can get you there, and beyond!

Ultimate Prowler Builds

The changes to Generations Ultimate, not to mention the all new Beast cat, make the majority of Support Biasses viable to use as Prowlers! The only one that doesn't really work that well is Charisma. Charisma cats are still best relegated to your Palico buddies. They're best at support and buff-botting... and there are other Support Biases that do the support thing better than they do as a Prowler. Sad but true.

Not only that, but a lot of the Support Moves and Skills got re-tooled, and there are all new ones as well! This means you can do a wider variety of builds. It's not all about the Piercing Big Boomerangs anymore! (Only mostly!)

Now, reminder, thanks to the addition of the re-roll function, crafting the purrfect cat is waaaaaay easier. Refer back to this handy dandy infographic which I shamelessly stole from Gaijinhunter:

If you're only interested in a cat that's "good enough," then just look for a cat that has the most important skills and go with it. I'll make note of which ones are the essential skills if you don't want to be as obsessive about it as I am. ;)

Essential Moves and skills are non-negotiable. Bare minimum, you want these. Make sure your cat either comes with them or can re-roll for them!

The Highly Recommended moves and skills are very helpful and worth going the extra mile for.

Look for the Recommended moves and skills if you want an optimal cat.

When deciding on your build, remember that at level 99 you get room for 7 Support Moves and you get 8 passive Skill slots. (And skills can take more than one slot!)

Also remember that you get two extra slots for both Support Moves and passive Skills to fill with whatever you want. Keep that in mind when deciding what skill set to scout for! Related to that, take a look at the A slot Support Moves. There is some nice stuff in there, but if you go for a cat that starts with one of those, you'll wind up with fewer moves overall. Generally, it's a better idea to just burn one of your extra slots on an A move instead.

Passive Skills are easier to figure out, most times. The A group passives are pretty much universally garbo, so you'll just want to grab as many B and C group skills as you can. Set B has a lot of really good and useful stuff, while C contains mostly status immunity skills as well as the generally essential Boomerang Pro and Critical Up S.

One Support Move that's especially worth considering on pretty much any cat is Pitfall Purr-ison / Shock Purr-ison. Traps are kiiiinda busted on cats. They're not only good for capturing. Don't underestimate the power of holding a monster still for a few seconds while you whale on it. That's powerful. There's a reason why human hunters can only carry two traps maximum! Cats can get essentially infinite traps. This is huge. Sure, monsters build up resistance to traps over time, meaning they break out of them quicker... but unless you actually need to capture a monster, generally you don't care! Basically, a trap is never a bad choice for your extra slot.

Now, there are two more skills that you should also consider on any cat, regardless of Support Bias. They're both B slot moves, and they're both new:Far-cat-ster and Furbidden Acorn.

Far-cat-ster is a welcome addition to the cat's repertoire. It costs 3 bars and functions exactly like the Farcaster item that humans can use: it teleports you instantly back to camp! It's great as a get out of jail free card- you're invulnerable for the entire animation, if you end up eating both Acorns or if you're on one of those pesky quests that don't let you go back to camp once you enter the combat zone. You don't always have a bed available to refill your Acorns on such quests, but at least you can take a breather if you need to!

Furbidden Acorn is a bit of an odd skill, but potentially very powerful. It costs no bars and instantly fills 3 bars of your Support Move Gauge... in exchange for merking one of your Acorns. You can't refill the consumed Acorn at the camp bed, but you do get it back if you cart. It's best used at the start of a hunt so you can come in swinging with Piercing Big Boomerangs, Weapon Upgrade, or Release the Beast right away. Just be careful of your health because you only get one Acorn... I am personally not that comfortable with this skill yet, but if you're better than me at not dying, definitely toss it on!

Equipment

Lastly let's talk about equipment real quick. After all, a warrior is only as good as her weapon, right? Unless you really really need a tail cut for whatever reason, you will always want to go with a blunt weapon. Blunt weapons exhaust a monster quicker, and can KO it if you hit it in the head. Both of these mean the monster spends less time trying to eat you, and you can spend more time beating on it!

Regardless of the weapon, you'll want to look for ones with high Affinity, or at the very least ones that don't have negative Affinity. Cats live and die by their crits.

Lastly, cats excel at elemental damage and they're especially good at status attacks. If you're going elemental, obviously just pick whichever element the monster is weakest to. For status, the two you want to look for are Paralysis and Blast. Paralysis locks a monster in place for a few seconds. If you happen to have a blunt paralyzing weapon, you can be extremely rude to monsters. Oh so very, VERY rude. Blast is a great option if you just want to go all in on the damage. A target afflicted by Blast will explode after a few seconds, dealing massive damage. The more you apply it, the more damage you'll do.

If you can stomach the hellgrind, any weapon made from a Deviant monster gives you extra gauge gain. Quite a few of them are best in class for their element/status (especially the Blast one). The hellgrind is real, though. Think carefully about it.

That's it for the general stuff. On to the real meat of things!

I'm here to eat Felvine and kick rear end, and I'm all out of Felvine!

Fighting cats used to be the all-around best Prowlers, but in GU they're middle of the road- thanks to the massive buff the other Support Biases got. They still get some fun tricks, so they're well worth considering! Ideally, you'll want to spec your cat for a mix of melee and ranged combat, or just go all in on melee. Your choice.

Support Moves

You will still probably want to go with Piercing Boomerangs regardless of what specific build you go for. You're going to have better things to do with your gauge than tooting the Demon Horn, and you can always bring a sub Palico with that if you want the attack buff.

And ya know. Big Boomerangs is always nice to have, and C slot skills are easiest to come by. (Essential)

If you want to just go all in on melee combat, then I suggest going for Weapon Upgrade. Weapon Upgrade is kinda like Piercing Big Boomerangs, but for melee, if that makes sense. It's a B slot move that costs 3 bars of gauge (same as the total cost of the 'rangs), and gives +10 to your raw damge and +30% to your Affinity for 90 seconds. These buffs stack with the bonuses you get from Felyne Fury, so fire off both of those, if you can. Then you can either smack monsters in the face like normal, or rodeo them into oblivion. (Essential)

And since you'll be doing a lot of rodeos... how about Mega Boomerang to go with that? Not to be confused with Big Boomerangs, Mega Boomerang is a B slot move that hucks a bigass boomerang at your target. It has a loooong windup, and once the boomerang is away, it hovers over the target, spinning and doing damage as long as it's active. It is best used on an immobilized target... such as one that's just been toppled from a rodeo, for instance... (Highly Recommended)

An alternative is Claw Dance, another B slot move and also one best used on immobilized targets. You won't need both it and Mega Boomerang, so pick one. Both moves cost 2 bars. (Highly Recommended)

For your last B Move, pick one of Far-cat-ster or Furbidden Acorn. Far-cat-ster if you want your get out of jail free card, Furbidden Acorn if you want to come in swinging with Weapon Upgrade or Piercing Big Boomerangs right away. You can tutor the other one at the Dojo, if you want.

To round out your Support Moves, go for Dung Bombay (Highly Recommended) or Soothing Roll (Recommended). Dung Bombay is of course helpful for multi-monster hunts and for escaping when pinned, but what about Soothing Roll? I don't remember suggesting that before... Well that's because I didn't! Soothing Roll is one move that got a pretty massive buff in GenU! It used to cure abnormal statuses and nothing else. Pretty garbo! Well, now it also restores health! As soon as you activate it, you restore a bit of health. As you roll, you regenerate a bit more, and you are invulnerable during the entire animation. In the end, you restore the same amount of health that Emergency Retreat does. The main difference is at the end of the roll, you end up with your weapon out and ready, whereas Emergency Retreat automatically sheathes your weapon. Another major difference is you can use Soothing Roll while afflicted with Snowman (and other Binding effects like Mizutsune's Bubble) to immediately break out of it. Emergency Retreat does not work at all when you're a Snowman. Emergency Retreat is still the safer option, but it's no longer the unequivocal BEST option for self healing! And if you go with Soothing Roll, you can free up your extra slots for other moves!

Suggested Support Move skillset: BBBCC

Suggested extra slot moves: Far-cat-ster / Furbidden Acorn, Pitfall Purr-ison / Shock Purr-ison. Tutor Emergency Retreat if you don't go for Soothing Roll.

Passive Skills

Earplugs(**) remains a very, very good skill. In fact, it's even better than it used to be! Now it's High Grade Earplugs instead of the lower rank version. You can ignore basically any monster roar with this bad boy! It's espeically helpful during rodeos. It turns monster roar times into extra stabby times! (Essential)

Fighting cats come with Attack Up S, but as I mentioned in Part 1, the regular stat boosting skills- Attack Up S/L and Defense Up S/L got nerfed into the ground. They used to boost your stats by a percentage, but now they just give a (piddly) flat boost. So now they're hot garbo. Know what's still as good as ever? Critical Up S(*) and Critical Up L(**)! Both boost your Affinity by a percentage- 10% and 20% respectively. Cats are all about them crits, so you definitely want one of them, possibly even both! Yes, they stack. Of course they stack! (Essential)

I would also recommend the B group skill Extend Fury(**). It makes Felyne Fury mode last longer. Thus, more stat buff time, more rodeos, and more chances to knock a monster the gently caress down! (Recommended)

You probably still want Boomerang Pro(*). It only costs one slot and it's in the C group. You'll probably wind up with extras of those anyway. Might as well have it. (Highly Recommended)

You can round out your passives with any status immunity skill (if you don't go for Critical Up S). The best ones for all cats are Tremor Res(*) and Non-Stick Fur(*). You can heal most status effects with Soothing Roll or Emergency Retreat, but tremors and Snowman force you to not be beating on the monster mercilessly, and who wants that?! Non-Stick Fur lets you break out of it almost instantly. Keep in mind that Soothing Roll let's you break out of Snowman, but Emergency Retreat does not. (Recommended)

Keep your extra slots open for DLC skills! There are a bunch of new ones and a lot of them are really good! In particular I'd look out for Weakness Exploit(**)- which increases your Affinity when attacking a monster's weak point (like blunt damage on the head, for instance), and Aera(**)- which increases your mounting damage, similar to the effects of the Felyne Rider food skill. More rodeos more better!

Suggested Passive skillset: BBBCC

Equipment

Look for a balanced weapon with high Affinity. I'd recommend going for either elemental damage or Blast, as Paralysis and rodeos can get kind of funky.

I'm a Defense Prowler, and I'm fine!

Defense cats are one of my top three favorite Support Biases to run as a Prowler. It's the one I usually pick when I need to get really serious. That Adept Guard is just stupidly good. It makes me feel powerful.

Support Moves

Despite the fact that their boomerangs do slightly less damge, defense cats still work great as boomerang cats because the status procs and crits make up for the lack of raw damage. Huck those boomerangs, and have your shield button at the ready!

Defense cats get access to Emergency Retreat by default, and you definitely want that! It's the better defensive option between it and Soothing Roll and hey... defense is what we're all about, right?

No boomerang cat is complete without Big Boomerangs, so make sure you can get that. (Essential)

Now, I find that Defense cats make excellent use of traps, so I recommend scouting a cat with an A slot skill so you can get Pitfall Purr-ison or Shock Purr-ison. Don't underestimate the importance of a few seconds of uninterrupted beatdown time! Lay down a trap and get smacking! (Highly Recommended)

Since we're scouting for an A skill, that limits our other options. For B slot moves, go with either Far-cat-ster or Furbidden Acorn. (Highly Recommended)

That leaves plenty of room for some C skills. In addition to the aforementioned Big Boomerangs, Dung Bombay remains ever useful. I like having it on all my cats. (Essential)

For your last skill... bear with me here: Barrel Bombay. Weird? Yes. For some reason, Defense cats get almost as much gauge from chucking bombs as they do from blocking, and Barrel Bombay costs 0 gauge. Need some gauge in a hurry? Huck a few bombs. (Recommended)

Suggested Support Move skillset: ABCCC

Spend your extra slots on Piercing Boomerangs and whichever of Far-cat-ster or Furbidden Acorn that your cat doesn't have already. If you don't want Furbidden Acorn, Mega Boomerang is a good second choice. If you can manage to catch a trapped monster in it, that'd be pretty devastating. It would cost a lof of gauge though!

Passive Skills

All right, as in the vast majority of cases, you still want Boomerang Pro(*). It's cheap and lets you huck boomerangs faster. Throw it on there. (Essential)

Defense cats come with Guard Boost(**), an essential skill that lets you block attacks you wouldn't otherwise be able to. Equip it and never take it off!

To go along with that, scout for Guard L(**). Your cat will come with Guard S(*), but why not go the extra mile for the L? Guard L will further reduce the knockback, and chip damage, you suffer when blocking. Very important! (Highly Recommended)

Next pick one of Critical Up L(**) or Counter Boost(**). Counter Boost gives you more gauge when you get hit. I think blocking counts as getting hit. In any case it would definitely work if you whiff your block! (Essential)

You can scout for a couple status immunity skills, Tremor Res(*) and Non-Stick Fur(*) being standouts, and/or Critical Up S(*) if you didn't pick up L. Or even if you did. Remember, they stack! (Recommended)

For your extra slots, teach your cat Ranged Attack Up(**)- which boosts your boomerang attacks by 10%. It stacks with the food skill Felyne Hurler (also a 10% damage boost to your 'rangs). You can fill the last slot with Weakness Exploit(**) once it's released.

An alternative idea for your extra slot: equip Mini Barrel Bombay- all cats come with it and its gauge cost is free, and then instead of Weakness Exploit teach Sonic Mini Bombay. It's a weird skill that adds Sonic Wave effect to Mini Barrel Bombay. It's actually a better method of inflicting Sonic damage than Ultrasonic Horn is, because Mini Barrel Bombay fires off quicker, is easier to aim, and costs no gauge.

Wait, I hear you ask, what about Earplugs? Welllll, Eargplugs is less necessary on Defense cats. Remember, you can Adept Guard monster roars! I personally suck at doing it... but if you're better at it than I am, you don't need Earplugs. If you're not confident in your ability to block roars, then yeah throw on Earplugs! (Highly Recommended)

Suggested Passive skillset: BBCCC (or BBBCC if you want Earplugs)

Equipment

Pick a ranged weapon with as much Affinity as you can find. I highly recommend equipping a paralyzing weapon, particularly blunt. I get up to some very rude shenanigans with my defense cat that way.

Suppawtive Felynes

Support cats used to be the best boomerang cats, but in GU the Gathering cats stole their crown. They still have a niche, as they are the only Support Bias with easy access to traps. Scout one to handle capture quests.

Support Moves

These guys also start with Emergency Retreat so yay! That's the one you want when scouting. If your cat doesn't have it, just re-roll at the dojo.

These cats are far better at ranged attacks than melee so they're still all about the boomerangs. Make sure you have access to Big Boomerangs. (Essential)

Since you'll be laying some traps, how about Mega Boomerang? Wind that up and fling it at a trapped or KO'd monster for extra damage. (Highly Recommended)

Throw in some more B skills while you're at it! Far-cat-ster and Furbidden Acorn are the best ones. (Recommended)

Round out your Support moves with the usual Dung Bombay. (Essential)

Despite the fact that Support cats come with their own trap, Poison Purr-ison, I strongly suggest burning one of your extra slots for Shock Purr-ison as well. Technically no monster is completely immune to Poison-Purrison, but it still functions like a Pitfall trap and some monsters will make you jump through some hoops to catch them in it. It's easier to just use Shock-Purrison on monsters like that and save yourself the hassle.

Spend your other extra slot on Piercing Boomerangs.

Passive Skills

Equip Monsterdar(**) if you're doing a capture quest. The monster's icon will flash when it's capturable. Never wonder if a monster is weak enough to capture again!

Pro Trapper(***) carries a hefty slot cost but it's well worth considering. Not only does it speed up trap setting, but it reduces Poison Purr-ison to costing 4 bars and Shock Purr-ison and Pitfall Purr-ison to a measly 3!

As usual, you are a boomerang cat, so you want Boomerang Pro(*). (Essential)

Monster roars are annoying and they can knock you out of trap-setting. You don't want that; you want Earplugs(**)! (Essential)

Support cats have a bit less raw power on their side so you absolutely want Critical Up S(*) or Critical Up L(**) (Both if you can swing it!) (Highly Recommended)

Then there are plenty of status immunity skills to choose from! The best ones are Tremor Res(*) and Non-Stick Fur(*). Grab those, and Critical Up S(*) too while you're at it! (Recommended)

Spend your extra slots on Ranged Attack Up(**), and Weakness Exploit(**) once it's available.

Suggested Passive skillset: BBCCCC

Equipment

Again, you definitely want a ranged weapon here and Affinity is doubly important. Go with an elemental weapon or Blast to boost your damage further.

Did someone call for a mewdic?

All right time for heal cats! Heal cats are bonkers crazy go nuts now! They're another of my top three favorite Support Biases to take on For Serious hunts, especially multiplayer hunts. I've dragged my friends through a lot of tough hunts, tooting my Health Horn all the way!

Support Moves

Either of your second slot skills are fine. I personally prefer Armor Horn, but pick whichever one you like best! You can't go wrong with either. Remember, if you hold still after the initial effect, you'll also heal a bit of HP along with it!

Healing cats come with True Health Horn, of course, but let's toss in Health Horn as well. It doesn't heal as much HP, but it costs less gauge. You'll be able to fire it off more often. Useful! (Essential)

Now, healing Prowlers don't need a hell of a lot from B slot move, So I suggest going all in on the C moves. There's a lot of fun stuff there!

First, you don't have as much raw power as other Support Biases so your best bet is rocking the boomerangs. Therefore, you want Big Boomerangs, and of course tutor Piercing Boomerangs at the Dojo. (Essential)

Dung Bombay remains as useful as ever, so you want it. (Highly Recommended)

You'll want Soothing Roll as well, not so much for the self healing but for getting rid of status effects, including the ever obnoxious Snowman. Plus the gauge cost is cheap, so why not? (Essential)

Then look for a new move- Furlask of Healing. When you activate this nifty little number, you put a freaky looking pot on your head and gradually regenerate the HP of yourself and any allies in range! This is what Vase of Vitality should have been, but it's even better because you become a mobile source of HP recovery! Oh and don't worry, you can still attack and use moves as normal while wearing your stupid hat. (Recommended)

Lastly, pick your favorite C slot skill. My personal recommendation is Ultrasonic Horn. It's still not that great, so feel free to subsitute your C slot of choice if you want something different. (Recommended)

Fill your other extra slot with either Far-cat-ster or Furbidden Acorn. Furbidden Acorn is especially worth considering because you shouldn't be dying that much and you can chow down on an acorn if your buddies need healing in a pinch.

Suggested Support Move skillset: ACCCCC

Passive Skills

Equip Horn Virtuoso(***) if you can stomach the slot cost. Firing off those Health Horns faster might just save your bacon (not to mention your friends'!)

Monster roars can interrupt you while tooting your horn so of course you'll want to nab Earplugs(**) (Essential).

Counter Boost(**) is another good skill to look for. It fills your gauge faster whenever you get hit. Heal cats have pretty darn respictible defense, so you can just stay right up on the monster's grill, tossing boomerangs and getting disgusting amounts of gauge whenever you get smacked. (Highly Recommended)

Again, you're somewhat lacking in the raw power department, so you want them crits. Look for Critical Up L(**) (Highly Recommended).

You're a boomerang cat, so you know what that means! Yep, it means Boomerang Pro(*) (Essential).

From there, pick a status immunity skill- Tremor Res(*) being my personal recommendation, or Critical Up S(*). (Recommended)

Fill your extra passive slot with the usual Ranged Attack Up(**), and Weakness Exploit(**), once it's released.

Equipment

You'll want a ranged optimized weapon here too. To maximize monster lockdown, I recommend a blunt paralyzing weapon. That gives you more time to either beat on the monster, or heal your friends!

If you see anything suspicious, bomb it!

Bomb cats got heavily retooled in GU. They're the last of my top 3 favorite Prowler Support Biases (in no particular order). Adept just shuts so many monsters the gently caress down and bomb cats can also deal damage while they're doing it. Besides, what's not to like about explosions?

Support Moves

Neither of your fixed support moves are terribly great, but Demon Horn at least is somewhat useful. Camouflage is just hot garbo.

Bomb cats do more damage with boomerangs, so make sure you can get Big Boomerangs (Essential) and tutor Piercing Boomerangs at the dojo.

Now, bomb cats don't need a hell of a lot from B skills. We'll just go for the usual Furbidden Acorn and Far-cat-ster. (Highly Recommended)

Soothing Roll is still excellent for self healing and shrugging off status effects, and frees up one of your extra slots. (Essential)

Dung Bombay is also useful and Highly Recommended. Monsters can do a lot of damage when they pin you!

Explosive Roll is a fun one to look for to round out your C skills. Bomb cats, as you might figure, do more damage with bombs, and they can get some fun extra effects with them. (Recommended)

Spend your other extra slot on Shock Purr-ison / Pitfall Purr-ison, or Giga Barrel Bombay. Giga is a more powerful bomb than your default Mega. It's especially good for waking up sleeping monsters. I've killed monsters that way! Highly satisfying.

Suggested Support Move skillset: BBCCCC

Passive Skills

Your cat comes with Bombay Boost(***), and you'll definitely want to equip it! It increases the power of all bomb-type moves and Blast status attacks. Equip a Blast weapon and fling explosions everywhere!

Like usual, you're a boomerang cat, so you want Boomerang Pro(*). (Essential)

You will also want Critical Up L(**) or Critical Up S(*) (or BOTH). (Essential)

Now, I highly recommend Counter Boost(**) as well. It'll give you more gauge if you whiff your Adept Dodge.

Also, there's a new C skill that's especially good on bomb cats, Extra Bomb Blasts(**). It adds the Blast effect to all your bombs. Bombay Boost also buffs Blast status. Between your bombs, Explosive Roll, and your Adept Dodge, there's a lot of synergy here! (Highly Recommended)

Pick a status immunity skill to round out your Cs. Again, Tremor Res(*) is your best option since you'll have Soothing Roll. (Recommended)

No Earplugs? You can Adept through monster roars, like Defense cats can. In fact, bomb cats are even better for this because they can move after a successful Adept. Roll right behind the monster and get smacking!

As usual, spend your extra slots on Ranged Attack Up(**) and Weakness Exploit(**) when it's available.

Suggested Passive skillst: BBCCCC

Equipment

You can go with either a ranged or balanced type weapon, as long as it has Blast status, even if it isn't blunt. In fact, the best Blast weapon in the game (obtained from Hellblade Glavenus) is a cutting weapon. Blast is that important. You'll do stupid amounts of damage this way.

Everybody wants to be a (Gathering) cat

Onto the new kings of Boomerang Town, Gathering Cats! If you want only one all-purpose Prowler, pick one of these guys. They can help you with those pesky gathering quests, AND monster beating!

Support Moves

These guys start with Piercing Boomerangs, so that is absolutely the second slot skill you want to go with, no question. If your cat doesn't have it, it's just a quick re-roll away!

And of course you'll want Big Boomerangs to go with it. Do I even need to say it at this point? (Essential)

Now, this is one case where I do find scouting for an A slot skill is worth it. Gathering cats have less defense than the other Support Biases, so having extra monster lockdown is very important. Look for Pitfall Purr-ison or Shock Purr-ison (Essential).

Mega Boomerang combos well with that. You can wind up and fling it at a trapped monster. It costs a lot of gauge, but it's a very powerful combination. (Recommended)

As usual, you can round out your support moves with Dung Bombay and Soothing Roll (Highly Recommended).

Fill your extra slots with Furbidden Acorn and Far-cat-ster.

Suggested Support Move skillset: ABCCC

Passive Skills

Firstly, you're a boomerang cat, so of course you want Boomerang Pro(*). You already knew that, didn't you? (Essential)

Earplugs(**) are extra important on these cats. You're more fragile than other support biases. You do not want to be interrupted for any reason! (Essential)

Related to that, look for the B skill Artful Dodger(**). This nifty skill increases your invulnerability period while dodging. Zip around the battlefield, throwing boomerangs all the while! It'll help your survivability. (Highly Recommended)

Scout for Critical Up L(**) as well. You want to squeeze as much damage out as you can! (Highly Recommended)

In fact, I recommend looking for Critical Up S(*) as well. Really stack that damage!

You can fill your extra slots with Ranged Attack Up(**) and Weakness Exploit(**) once it's released.

Equipment

Get a ranged optimized weapon with as much Affinity as you can get. Elemental, paralysis, or Blast are all fine. You just want them crits.

RIP AND TEAR

Lastly, time for Beast cats. Beast Prowlers work completely differently from the other Support Biases. Therefore, they want different stuff. Let's have a look.

Support Moves

Your second slot will always be Rousing Roar, and that's fine. Party-wide Stun resist and buff sharing is powerful.

Now, Beast cats are pure melee bruisers. In fact, they can't even use boomerangs once they go into Beast Mode. We'll be scouting for skills that work at close range. Firstly, you definitely want Weapon Upgrade. As I said before, it's like Piercing/Big Boomerangs, but for melee. (Essential)

Claw Dance is your best bet for a melee Support Move. Get a monster Paralyzed, stunned, or a in a trap, and get shredding! (Highly Recommended)

Next we have an odd one. Vase of Vitality- usually a garbage skill. It wishes it were Furlask of Healing. In the case of Beast cats, it combos well with their default passive skill, and Beasts don't need much else from Support Moves so... why not? (Recommended)

And you also want the usual Dung Bombay and Soothing Roll. There's a reason I have those moves on nearly all my cats! (Highly Recommended)

Then fill your extra slots with Far-cat-ster and either Furbidden Acorn or Pitfall Purr-ison / Shock Purr-ison.

Passive Skills

The Beast cat's fixed passive, Recovery Speed Up(**), is the skill I mentioned that combos well with Vase of Vitality. It increases the refill rate of the red portion of your health gauge. Equip this if you're rocking the Vase.

Earplugs(**) are especially important on these guys! You can't afford to have your combo interrupted when you're trying to build Beast Mode levels. (Essential)

Like on Gathering cats, Artful Dodger(**) is another very helpful skill, and it combos well with the Beast cat's backward sommersault that replaces your block. The sommersault has a lot of i-frames already, and Artful Dodger gives it even more! Get the timing down for the sommersault, and you're effectively immortal! (Highly Recommended)

Beast cats also want crits real bad, so look for Critical Up L(**) (Highly Recommended)

Now, since you don't need Boomerang Pro, let's pick up a status immunity skill. The most important one is Tremor Res(*), for the same reason you want Earplugs: you don't want those pesky monsters stomping around interrupting your combo! (Essential)

For your remaining passive, pick up Critical Up S(*) for even more crits! (Recommended).

You should fill your extra Passive slots with two as-of-yet unreleased DLC skills. The first one is the usual Weakness Exploit(**). The other one is Extend Beast(**). It does what you think it does- keeps you in Beast Mode longer.

Suggested Passive skillset: BBBCC or BBCCCC

Equipment

You want a close range or balanced weapon with high Affinity. Paralysis is best (especially a blunt one), for holding a monster still while you build your Beast Mode levels.

And that's it! Use this information to scout the most badass Prowler you can! Next time, we'll look at some Palico buddies to help you on your journey. Good luck, and happy catting!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Had some Stuff happen this weekend. Next update is delayed until I can get things back on track.

In the meantime, check out this adorable thing my husband got me for my birthday!

It came in a little egg, like in Monster Hunter Stories! :3:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren: I told you we're not dead! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsEfDN1T720

We're getting back on track here! Had some stuff come up, but things have calmed down. Expect a Meownsterpawdia entry later in the week.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Of course we aren't dead. Also, I'd like to make a correction. I mentioned how Freedom Unite on the Vita didn't allow use of the second stick. Upon further research, it did. It does, but you have to map it yourself, since the port boots up in PSP Mode. This isn't explained very well, so it was hard to find.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And there was Portable Third for the PSP whose failed localization was what drove the main MH series to the 3DS until generation five.

Seltas and its mate are sadly not available in Stories though they'd be decent Monsties.

Bit of development history on the Giaprey, it was originally called the White Velociprey and was put into Monster Hunter Freedom for the sole purpose of being a rare member of the Velociprey species. It was later remade into a unique species with its new name and assigned both its boss the Giadrome and the ice element.

Regarding World calling G rank Master Rank, keep in mind that the subtitle World was chosen over "Monster Hunter 5" to show how MHW was changed from the previous four generations at the fundamental level (worldwide simultaneous release, worldwide servers instead of being segmented by region, maps are wide-open and represent living worlds instead of being segmented by zones and largely barren) and to avoid giving the impression that players needed to have completed other games in the series to play.

To be fair, most MH games only have the one offline town/village/city and sometimes an online one: Kokoto & Minegarde in the original Monster Hunter & Freedom, Jumbo Village & Dundorma in Monster Hunter 2, Pokke in Freedom 2 & Freedom Unite, Moga Vilage in Tri & 3U with Loc Lac in the former and Port Tanzia in the latter, and Yukumo Village in Portable 3rd.

The reason 4(U) has multiple towns/villages/cities is because your hunter is part of a traveling caravan thus there is a narrative reason for going to these places while G(U) is a spin-off paying homage to the four previous generations hence why it brings back offline hub towns from three of the previous generations (Kokoto for generation one, Pokke for generation two, and Yukumo Village in generation three) in addition to Berna representing generation four.

In World however you're a research team with Astera being your base of operations and while I could see Iceborne having something stationed on the ice continent, a second proper colony might not make the most sense logistically within the context of World's story.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 25, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia Part 8

Greetings, cat fans! Today's entry in the Meownsterpawdia will get us caught back up with the updates. Let's meet our newest punching bags friends!

Like always, click on a monster's name to be taken to its Monster Hunter Wiki page.

For drops:

C= Common
U= Uncommon
R= Rare
S= Stupidly rare

For a complete and accurate list of loot, and more, I heartily recommend checking out MHGU DB or Ping's Dex (Mirror).

Tigrex

Habitat: Pretty much anywhere

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- HG Earplugs, Snowman*, High Wind Pressure, Nulberry

*in snowy areas

Weakness(es)- Lightning, Dragon, Poison, Blast, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Head, Wings, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Tigrex Scale (U), Tigrex Claw (U), Tigrex Shell (R), Tigrex Scalp (S)

Tail Carve- Tigrex Tail (C), Tigrex Scale (R)

Capture- Tigrex Shell (U), Tigrex Fang (R), Tigrex Scale (x2) (R), Tigrex Tail (R), Tigrex Scalp (S)

Break Head- Tigrex Fang (x2) (C), Tigrex Shell (U), Tigrex Scalp (R)

Break Wings- Tigrex Claw (x2) (C), Tigrex Claw (U)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Tigrex Scale (R), Tigrex Claw (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Flying wyverns whose primitive origins are obvious. Prone to violence, they display incredible ferocity with their claws, jaws, and developed limbs. They inhabit a wide area searching for prey, and have even been spotted in regions of harsh cold.

Brachydios

Family: Brute Wyvern

Habitat: Volcano, Deserted Island, Frozen Seaway, Volcanic Hollow

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- HG Earplugs, Tremor, Blastblight

Weakness(es)- Water, KO, Poison, Sleep

Breakable Bits- Head, Arms, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Brach Shell (U), Brach Ebonshell (U), Mystery Slime (R), Brach Scalp (S), Brach Marrow (S)

Tail Carve- Brach Tail (C), Brach Ebonshell (R), Brach Marrow (S)

Capture- Brach Ebonshell (U), Brach Shell (R), Brach Hammer (R), Brach Tail, Mystery Slime (x2) (S), Brach Marrow (S)

Break Head- Brach Scalp (C), Brach Shell (R)

Break Arms- Brach Hammer (C), Mystery Slime (U), Brach Ebonshell (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Mystery Slime (R), Brach Marrow (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Brute wyverns coated with an explosive green substance, a material that is thought to be a unique slime mold that is primed to explode by an element in the monster's saliva. They are also capable of powerful foreleg strikes.

Seregios

Habitat: Dunes, Ancestral Steppe, Primal Forest, Frozen Seaway, Volcanic Hollow, Desert

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Bleed (crouch or burrow), Dung Bomb(ay), High Wind Pressure

Weakness(es)- Lightning, Ice, Blast

Breakable Bits- Head, Wings, Feet, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Seregios Bladescale (U), Airblade Shard (R), Seregios Talon (R), Seregios Wingtalon (R)

Tail Carve- Seregios Impaler (C), Seregios Bladescale (R), Airblade Shard (R)

Capture- Seregios Wingtalon (U), Airblade Shard (R), Seregios Talon (R), Monster Bone+ (R), Seregios Bladescale (x2) (R), Seregios Impaler (R)

Break Head- Seregios Sunderer (C), Seregios Bladescale (R)

Break Wings- Seregios Wingtalon (U), Airblade Shard (U), Seregios Wingtalon (x2) (R), Seregios Bladescale (R)

Break Legs- Seregios Talon (C), Seregios Talon (x2) (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Airblade Shard (U)

Monsterpedia posted:

An elusive breed of wyvern only rarely spotted throughout the lands in recent years. Known for its ability to launch razor-edged scales, and for its powerful legs and talons which it uses to latch itself onto its prey.

Shagaru Magala

Family: Elder Dragon*

Habitat: Sanctuary

Threat Level: ******

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- HG Earplugs, Tremor, Nulberry, Dung Bomb(ay)

Weakness(es)- Dragon, Fire, Poison

Breakable Bits- Horns (x2), Wingarms, Wings, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- S. Magala Scale (U), S. Magala Shell (U), S. Magala Caress (R), S. Magala Prismwing (R), S. Magala Tail, S (S). Magala Plate (S)

Tail Carve- S. Magala Tail (C), S. Magala Scale (R), S. Magala Plate (S)

Break Horns- S. Magala Horn (C), Pure Scale (R), S. Magala Plate (S)

Break Wingarms- S. Magala Caress (C), S. Magala Caress (x2) (R), Pure Scale (R)

Break Wings- S. Magala Prismwing (C), S. Magala Scale (R)

Shiny Drop- Dragon Treasure (C), Frenzy Crystal (R), Pure Scale (R), S. Magala Plate (S)

*Elder Dragons are immune to all traps and cannot be captured.

Monsterpedia posted:

The distinctive radiant light of this mature Gore Magala has been seen in the Sanctuary of Heaven's Mount. Some believe Shagaru Magala was the "foul wind that withered a mountain," a calamity spoken of in ancient texts.

Kirin

Family: Elder Dragon*

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Arctic Ridge, Jungle, Ruined Pinnacle

Introduced: Monster Hunter

Recommended Status Protection- Paralysis, Stun, Nulberry

Weakness(es)- Fire, Water, Sleep, Blast, Rodeo, KO

Breakable Bits- Horn

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Kirin Hide (C), Kirin Mane (U)

Break Horn- Kirin Thunderhorn (C)

Shiny Drop- Lightcrystal (C), Dragon Treasure (U), Kirin Hide (R)

*Elder Dragons are immune to all traps and cannot be captured.

Monsterpedia posted:

Elder dragons so rarely sighted that little is known of their ecology, though everyone knows of the high prices Kirin parts fetch. It's been said they are one with lightning itself, and that their bodies becomes clothed in pure electricity when they are provoked.

Conga

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Jungle, Primal Forest, Ruined Pinnacle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Conga Pelt+ (C), Brute Bone (R), Sharp Claw (R)
High Rank
    Carve- Conga Pelt+ (C), Jumbo Bone (R), Sharp Claw (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Ape-like fanged beasts with pink fur. Conga prefer to live in smalls groups as oppposed to large packs and primarily inhabit warm, humid environments.

Congalala

Habitat: Jurrassic Frontier, Jungle, Primal Forest, Ruined Pinnacle

Threat Level: ****

Primary Element- Fire*

Recommended Status Protection- Stench, Tremor, Earplugs, Sleep*, Poison*, Paralysis*, Blastblight*

* Only when corresponding mushroom is eaten. Nitroshroom = fire breath, Mopeshroom = sleep, Toadstool = poison, Parashroom = paralysis, Dragon Toadstool = Blastblight

Weakness(es)- Fire, Ice, Poison, Blast, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Horn, Claws, Tail*

* When you break the tail, two things happen: Congalala loses the object it holds in its tail, and drops a shiny for you to pick up. The contents of the shiny depend on what Congalala was holding.

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Congalala Pelt+ (C), Congalala Fang (U), Stoutbone (S)

Capture- Congalala Pelt+ (U), Congalala Fang (U), Stoutbone (R)

Break Horn- Congalala Pelt+ (C), Vibrant Pelt (C)

Break Claws- Congalala Claw+ (C)

Shiny Drop (mushroom)- Territorial Dung (U), Teritorial Dung+ (U), Blue Mushroom (R), Nitroshroom (R)

Shiny Drop (bone)- Territorial Dung (U), Teritorial Dung+ (U), Monster Bone+ (R), Monster Keenbone (R)

Shiny Drop (ore)- Territorial Dung (U), Teritorial Dung+ (U), Dragonite Ore (U), Novacrystal (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

A large fanged beast with pink fur, often found in warm, damp regions. Fond of mushrooms, Congalalas possess either poisonous or flaming breath, depening on the food available in their local habitat.

Seltas

Family: Neopteron

Habitat: Ancestral Steppe, Primal Forest, Jurassic Frontier

Threat Level: ***

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Defense Down, Dung Bomb(ay)

Weakness(es)- Lightning, Fire, Sleep, Paralysis, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Horn

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Seltas Carapace (C), Seltas Innerwing (R), Torrent Sac (R)

Capture- Seltas Innerwing (U), Seltas Carapace (R), Seltas Horn+ (R), Monster Fluid (x2) (R), Monster Broth (R), Monster Broth (x2) (S), Torrent Sac (S)

Break Horn- Seltas Horn+ (C), Seltas Carapace (U)

Shiny Drop- Drone Substance (C), Queen Substance (R), Monster Broth (R), Torrent Sac (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

A medium-sized Neopteron that use swift aerial movements to attack invaders on the ground. It can also store a corrosive liquid inside itself, which it can shoot from its stinger-shaped abdomen.

Giadrome

Family: Bird Wyvern

Habitat: Arctic Ridge, etc.

Threat Level: ***

Primary Element- Ice, Poison

Recommended Status Protection- Snowman (Soothing Roll), Dung Bomb(ay)

Weakness(es)- Fire, Lightning, Sleep, Paralysis

Breakable Bits- Head

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Giadrome Claw+ (U), Giadrome Hide+ (R), Giaprey Scale+ (R), Giaprey Hide+ (S), Giadrome Head (S), Bird Wyvern Gem (S)

Capture- Giadrome Hide+ (C), Screamer Sac (x2) (U), Giadrome Head (R), Bird Wyvern Gem (S)

Break Head- Screamer Sac (x2) (U), Giadrome Hide+ (U), Giadrome Head (R), Bird Wyvern Gem (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Large Wyvern Tear (R), Giadrome Claw+ (R), Bird Wyvern Gem (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Alpha monsters that lead Giaprey packs. They sport splendid crests and are much bigger than Giaprey they lead. They spit ice with deadly accuracy, and woe betide the Hunter who gets caught in it.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 1, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Please enjoy an update:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0wfBoaiFfk

We're gearing up to go after Valstrax!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I still think Barroth looks incredibly weird here with his reddish orange skin. I vastly prefer his World incarnation over this design. Also, I wonder why they didn't outright tell us that Gathering Quest was required to continue.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 31, 2019

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I think The New World has differences in whatever Barroth eats that makes it lose color and shine. In World's eye we'd need an Arch-Tempered Barroth (try the layered Ryu armor quest) to get one looking that healthy.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Well, with us getting basically AT Great Jagras and Lavasioth (I actually had to look up who this was), it's entirely possible for us to get others at least.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Keep in mind that prior to World introducing Carrier Ants, the only ants in MH were Altaroth which the size of the Felynes.

Anyway, Barroth as a Monstie has the abilities Insect Detect and Dig:

And landshark is in village quests but only in high rank, specifically it is a rank 8.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 7, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Hey it's an update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3C94EkwYxY

Apologies for the slight delay. Editing just took a bit longer this time. Enjoy wetland chat and spider facts!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Primal Forest is kind of a mix of swamp, marsh, and rain forest and is one of my favorite areas in MH alongside the Flooded Forest and the Ancient Forest (seeing a theme here?). The Ancient Forest was actually meant to be marshier when Lagiacrus was one of its planned inhabitants but when Lagi got cut, the Ancient Forest became more rain forest.

In Stories, Gypceros has the ability to Dash around while you're riding it:

This ability is shared with Bulldrome and Tigrex who also has the ability to Climb vines:

Tigrex with fire element genes channeled into it

And since I forgot to post this in the Barroth post, have the ecology video Silver and gang talked about while fighting Barroth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dE_4-1gSKk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I have GOT to get Stories at some point. It looks amazingly fun to play.