Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

Oh. Well. That's fantastic, the imp thinks, his polite poker face in full force as the spirits explain who he was speaking to. Could've used that earlier, y'know, before I started talking to these assholes.

"Vix, Baron of the Court of Belphagor." He stands and bows politely to the mass, standing his ground. His tone of voice and demeanor change to something more noble. There isn't the slightest hint of annoyance in restating who he was, though he does note their poor listening skills. "I do not seek contact with your mistress. This is not such a high level matter. I venture this far due to being lost, and I desire directions so that my cohorts and I may leave this place. I mean no harm to you or your kind and simply desire to leave everyone alone."

Sly Words on The Lunari: 2d6+2 8
Trying to mislead them into giving direction and leaving him alone, while he fully intends to go get the others and try to send this dumb rock back to space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 1/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

"Yeah... okay." Calliope is a bit nonplussed by that reaction. She looks up at the indicated mirror, and pulls out one of her reference books. Something about this is causing that sort of itchy feeling when she half remembers something but can't quite nail it down. If she could just figure it out, that might help her find her way without having to talk to strange and potentially treacherous locals.

Spout Lore + Bag of Books [+INT]: 2d6+3 9

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

Please don't want those things.



HP 21/21 | Armor 1 | Load 4/15 | XP 0/8

Janine gasps for air on the ground, trying desperately to recover her wind. If the gauntlet'd spectre had attacked her she'd have been in serious trouble. But it had peeled off towards Sah, and the other set itself at her. This was a mistake. It would hopefully be the thing's last mistake. The dancing silver figure wielded a whip.

Janine D'argent was a whip.

Smooth as a cloud on a stiff breeze the Justiciar is up and away from the attack, back on her feet and in a relaxed stance. The whip is pinned under her boot. "This is going to be mine, now." A quick stomp on the taut weapon, an attempt to rip it from the opponent's hands. Not as good as her living lightning but far better than her bare hands.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6+1 12

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Sah-Tah-Ish

Although you dodge the initial swing and manage to grab ahold of the dancer, their reflexes seem to have some kind of unearthly quality to them - although it's hard to articulate why - because as you were pivoting about to swing them over they take that moment to use their free, other gauntleted hand to lash out at you catching you with its spikes before you finish the manoeuvre.

Damage (1 Piercing): 1d8 3

Take 3 damage (1 Piercing).

However the rest of your manoeuvre largely goes off without a hitch, you slam them into the floor and you bring your leg down upon his head - causing a loud crack as it strikes his mask, as you lift your foot up you notice that in the cracks that have formed in the mask you can see some kind of silver light pouring out... odd. He took a definitely heavy blow from this, however he isn't quite out of it yet it seems because as you stand transfixed for a fraction of a second he springs into action once more - albeit more weary in movement - still lying there, he reaches out suddenly with his right hand, his silvery grip latching on to your foot in an almost vice-like manner, while with his other hand he begins making strange (and rapid) arcane gestures.

As this is happening you hear an odd sussuration begin as though from a great distance, and the world around you has begun to fade to silver...

What do you do?

Vix

You speak to the spirits, the Lunari, and after a moment realise what is happening. These beasts are not the Lunari although there might be some connection (it is not something easy to discern however), but the Lunari are intangible spirits like the spirits of this place that you have spoken to before, and they seem to be emanating from the huge chunk of moonrock.

The chiming voices of the Lunari come into focus once more. "Leave... this... place? Why did you not merely say so! This way is blocked, but there is another way not far from here. Ascend into the High Lunarium, step into the light and make the Gesture of Opening and you will be on your way!" is what they say, as they mention the Gesture of Opening you feel images infiltrate your mind subtlety: the instructions on how to perform said gesture. "The High Lunarium is not far from here." they continue in their chiming tone, so distant and yet so near "From the statue of the Awoken Moon-Grasper, head to the statue's right and continue until you reach The Hall of Silent Meditation, from there creep up the stairs, up and up, and you will find your way..." is what they say before the weird chiming focus of their speech ends.

All the while as this is happening the collected beasts have by now crept much much closer, a few of them have even made it some of the stairs and are on the same level as you, their hunched, furred forms creeping ever closer, the smell of their bestial nature growing stronger and stronger, their eyes reddened and glancing about wildly at all times.

What do you do?

Calliope Dispatch

The strange figures seemingly ignore you pulling a book out and reading it, for whatever reason. The book you pulled out is titled "Libris Speculux Rudem", flicking through the pages you come across some choice excerpts, although perhaps not as directly helpful as you'd have preferred:

"... on the nature of moonlight many theories abound, especially when reflected so (and by what manner it is reflected), as well as the so-called links drawn between moonlight (as well as the moon's phase during its emission) and lycanthropy. However such research can be difficult at times, especially in certain regions where peculiar lunar cults abound - for they maintain that the moonlight is holy because it is a link between them and their 'gods' - and make it their business to interfere with any experiments with moonlight, however given the efficacy by which they seem to be able to convert otherwise unassuming members of the populace (especially seemingly at particular phases of the moon, and in such short order), it might merit investigation along these lines in future experiments - with appropriate preparations made, of course..."

Meanwhile, your erstwhile hosts stand there... staring into space, perhaps waiting for you to do something, it's unclear - since they haven't said anything. In fact their body language seems impossible to read as they've all gone entirely neutral in posture now.

What do you do?

Janine

You feel the body of the fallen dancer shift uneasily as you climb off of it... which is odd, but unimportant when you've got active combatants to face! In a moment of grace and precision you manage to disarm the whip-wielding dancer and claim their weapon for your own, a silvery spiked whip with an odd heft to it, it seems very light... almost insubstantial. In response your opponent steps back and slides a sharpened silvery rod from one sleeve, and they begin wielding it like a stabbing weapon... another oddity because you could have sworn they didn't have anything like that on them just now given the way they were moving, unless they are really good at concealing weapons.

Nonetheless it's much less impressive than the whip you now hold in your hands!

The whip counts as a weapon with the Close and Reach tags

However this hasn't deterred their aggression as they begin to circle you, ready to strike.

What do you do?

(OOC: You still here MinutePirateBug?)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 12/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 4/8 | Confused

Fighting Fire With Fire: 1d4 1
Reducing the damage by 1


She'd let her eyes slip for the briefest moment, and paid for it with a nasty shot right to her kidney. The spikes on the gauntlet tore rents through her shirt and took a healthy chunk of flesh with them. The pain, though, only served to fuel her anger. The fire within her coursed along the nerves, deadening them briefly as she followed through with her maneuver. The blood that trickled down her side smoked a little, as if yearning to ignite.

Yet! This bastard was hellishly determined if nothing else. Her boot was caught in a death grip, and something was being made manifest and she could not easily escape. Fine. Let this dancer weave his strange magics from the grave. Rather than struggle against her captor, Sah simply fell, putting all her weight on her elbow as she drove it into his throat.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+1 9
Damage: 1d8 5

I still have 3 hold from that Defend from earlier - I will probably start spending it after this turn, as I have a feeling Sah is about to get messed up.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

"Wonderful! Thank you for your assistance." Vix bows politely, not making the slightest gesture suggesting that he's incredibly uncomfortable with their continued approach. "I'll be on my way to direct the others out of here. Again, I greatly appreciate your help and wish you a pleasant night."

He bows, does a very neat heel-face-turn, and struts off in the opposite direction at a perfectly calm and measured pace. He listens carefully for the sound of rapidly encroaching steps and dares not look back at the crowd. Hopefully they weren't about to follow him back down to the others.

gonna nope the gently caress outta here

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013




We examine the colored light of the candles and the colours present in the environment and cannot help but notice a correspondence. Perhaps there is some sort of magical linkage between the two. We approach the tower with the silver flame, and we will our element to pour forth into the flame at a trickle to see if it interacts with the magics which created the us shaped portal in the sky. A malformed and scrawny arm bursts forth from behind a flap of fat in our chest, this is an appendage we are unfamiliar with. It is covered it sweat and whitesh slime, it smells like cheese left exposed for a long time. Hideous asymmetrical pores emerge across the length of scrawny weirdly bent arm and spew forth our wretched element not only at silver flame but at us as well.

I am aflame. I writh on the ground rolling around trying to put out the flame, stripping my clothes as I do so to ride myself of a source of fuel for the flame. The newly fallen snow compresses and crunches as I roll naked through it and the burning gets worse. Snow? I am not aflame, I am freezing. I ignore the burning coursing through my body and the chattering of my teeth. The corpses of my comrades lay all around me pallid and stiff. My entire squad appears to have frozen to death in the night in their bedrolls. We are on the Northern plateau and the enemy must have conjured a freak cold snap to kill our army while they slept. I need to start a fire or die I conjure flame, but the ground is covered in foot deeps snow for as far as I can see, the fire extinguishes quickly. I need a fire. I roll my comrades corpiscles together into a mound using balled fists, my fingers are too numb to work properly. I start another fire using their bodies & clothing as fuel, the oiled leather of their clothes and armor catches surprising well.

We awaken from our waking dream. Our body throbs with pain. Only a stub of our strange appendage remains, it appears to have exploded at the joint from the strain of the elemental magic we placed on it. Bone fragments mixed with blood coat our chest and head(s).

discern reality 2d6+1=5 + Trickle element at flame in tower + roll for damage just for funzies damage 1d6 =3


HP 23/26 | Armor 0 | Load 3/10 | XP 2/8

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 1/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

"Oookay." Calliope frowns at the book, frowns at the weird people, and shrugs. She shoves the folio back in her satchel. "Thanks, I guess."

With that she pivots her broom and zooms through the indicated mirror. She is a Sor of the Invictus Order, an experienced war witch, and she's getting impatient with this maze. If there's something nasty on the other side of the portal, she's going to make sure it regrets that, not her.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

Please don't want those things.



HP 21/21 | Armor 1 | Load 4/15 | XP 0/8

No more wasting time. Janine lashes out at her adversary, trying to adjust to the odd lack of weight in her purloined weapon. Alas! Unused to the whip's balance, D'argent has overextended with her strike. The force behind it is minimal and the defensive followup completely absent!

Hack and Slash: 2d6-1 7
Damage: 1d8 1

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Sah-Tah-Ish

With one final, deft blow you strike them hard. There is a sickening cracking noise as you strike hard, and their head falls limp as they grow still. However the spell it was casting does not end so neatly, in fact as you slay your foe the shimmering silvery light that was beginning to suffuse the world around you begins to crack dramatically and suddenly, like a window cracking - the source of the cracks being... you. Then suddenly - a flash - and you find yourself standing in a large open hall lined with pillars, a large skylight - shedding moonlight over a hulking bestial figure, letting loose a deafening howl it charges at you with uncanny speed, the ground thundering where it treads. Then there is another sudden flash and you find yourself somewhere else, this time you find yourself at the edge of a large ritual chamber of some kind, an intense and seemingly unending fluting fills the air as figures like the ones you were just fighting dance and sing around a pillar of blindingly bright moonlight in the centre of the chamber, however they swiftly become aware of your presence, and the ritual stops - the music stops, in the silence they all turn as though one and advance upon you, scrutinising you - you're still quite disorientated by this rapid teleportation and don't get a chance to react before they're all dangerously close - they reach out to you but you are whisked away in another flash just in the nick of time.

The silence, except the roaring of the blood rushing through your ears, a strange chill hits you as you... can't breathe. You stand upon a rocky grey surface, the stars above you... a green and blue (and other coloured) planet visible nearer the horizon. A brilliantly lit section of this rocky world lies some distance away but is visible to you now, just at the border and spreading around from there sit silvery spires and grandiose constructions. Shame you have no air. You feel a wave of nausea hit you, and pain striking you from deep within, your vision is turning red as your eyes burn...

Then another flash and you find yourself a few feet away from where you started, but now in much more pain as you cough and splutter regaining your air, nausea hitting you once more. Oof, you've definitely taken from damage from your voyage...

Damage (1 Piercing): 1d8 8

Take 8 damage, 1 Piercing. Also you are now Sick.

As you take a moment or two (or three) to recover from that ordeal you get to witness Janine fighting with the last of the remaining dancers, but you do notice even in your delirious state that the previously downed dancer that Janine delivered a flying kick to has... vanished? There's just a set of empty robes where it once was, and no sign of the net it was wielding.

What do you do?

Vix

You make it (relatively) swiftly back to the original room you had vacated, statue and all, from the balcony you peer down and think you can see just over the top of the great frozen fire-display thing that is dominating the room, when you hear a noise and notice the three dancers that you have so cruelly tricked just recently have finally returned, although they have not seen you yet they are beginning to mill around on the ground level looking about - presumably for you. It's only a matter a time before they extend their search, and presumably go up the stairs.

What do you do?

Srmz

You trickle forth your chaotic power towards the silver flame, but something goes wrong. The silvery energies catch upon your spray of chaos and start to... taint it, as the silver flame catches upon the wave of impossibility it rapidly degenerates into something far from reasonable but no less disquieting: A silvery cloying dust floating upon the air, suffused by the silvery energies. You do not get much of a chance to respond as you undergo your flashback before it's too late and by the time you come to the wave of silvery energy feeding back up your stream of chaos has already reached you...

A feeling of dry cold hits you, as your vision begins to turn to silver and your hearing is becoming more and more dominated by a deafening roar of incomprehensible whispers - each various different conflicting commands - although not in any language that you can understand. You feel the world around you sway and change, but this might be just your now corrupted perspective trying to filter it under a new light, the obsidian ground beneath you becoming pocked silvery rock, the sky above beginning to fade to a deep purple, the sickening green sun being turned into a huge luminous moon gazing down upon you.

You feel something in the back of your head as you notice some of your skin beginning to change colour, but of the myriad commands and voices rushing into you, you feel like they are trying to wear you down, to wear you away and force something upon you. Your will, perhaps even your own identity is at stake!

What do you do?

Calliope Dispatch

Following their directions, the mysterious figures turn back to whatever it was that they were doing - returning to ignoring you. You head through the portal in question and are suddenly accosted by a blindingly bright silver light, you see ahead lies a huge stairwell with a huge set of steps encircling it - but also with haphazard stairs leading off and criss-crossing in various places - but also dominated by a huge skylight visible directly above, which seems to be the source of the light.

You begin to ascend the steps in order to at the very least get a better sense of your position - and which of these stairs leads to your fated lecture theatre. However about half-way up between the entrance (which... has vanished?) and the first junction in this stairwell you then suddenly feel it. There's some great and ancient presence here, the moonlight beating down upon you in a manner somewhat akin to the sweltering sun if you were trying to cross a desert. Except instead of hot, this cold and dry, but it is as though a great weight is being pressed down upon you, for now it is only something this mundane but you have a slightly nauseous feeling that it might be a portent for something worse, especially as for a moment you thought you heard a snatch of indistinct whispering...

What do you do?

Janine

You lash out with the whip and manage to catch your appointed foe on the side, hurting them slightly (and.. causing them to draw a small amount of... silvery blood?) however they are determined to fight you, using one hand to grab ahold of your whip and force your position, they use their other to stab you in the leg with the silvery sharpened rod. It hurts, that's for sure, however as they relinquish the rod and seemingly draw another out from their sleeve (how much do they have up their sleeves?), you feel a strange numbness begin to set in in the leg it was stabbed into, a strange chill...

Damage (1 Piercing): 1d8 3

Take 3 damage, 1 Piercing.

They relinquish the barbed whip and re-manoeuvre themselves, coming at you with another sharpened silvery rod, however you are having a hard time manoeuvring yourself now as you find your deadened leg is being entirely uncooperative.

What do you do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 1/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

"Why is it," Calliope complains to herself, "that every other magic school has some absurd, reality breaking piece of architecture that tries to eat your soul or something?" The Academy doesn't put up with this kind of nonsense. Regardless, the best way out is through. Calliope puts on the speed with her broomstick and tries to push through to the end as quick as she can. "Waxing Lobby, Waxing Lobby, where is it..."

Broomstick (+DEX): 2d6+1 8
• A threat is waiting for you when you get there
• Your landing is better described as a crash

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 6/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 4/8 | Confused | Sick

Sah staggered as reality cohered around her and solidified. Her insides were rebelling, and combined with the disorientation and difficulty in focusing from the interloper in her mind earlier she was rapidly losing ground. It didn't help that half the group had vanished leaving just her, Janine, and her frozen doppelganger.

She hunched over, hand on a knee, trying to catch her breath. A glance over showed the spellsword was holding her own well enough, but that spike coming at her was probably going to ruin her day. Hauling in a lungful of air, Sah's anger rekindled itself. Hauling herself upright she charged the dancer and shoulder checked him as hard as she could. The spike was already in a downward arc and she had interposed herself between it and her companion, but the metal melted away before it could even pierce her skin. As he staggered back, she spun around and gave him a taste of her boot with a vicious roundhouse kick.

Using my 3 Defend hold for the following: Redirect the attack to myself, opening him up to Janine and giving her +1 forward against him, and dealing my level (1) in damage.

Since she is taking the attack meant for Janine, Sah takes three damage triggering Fighting Fire With Fire

Fighting Fire With Fire: 1d4 3
I will opt to negate the damage entirely

Shardix fucked around with this message at Dec 27, 2017 around 02:10

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

"They're not done yet?" Vix lets out an aggravated groan and pulls his pack around, removing his oversized slingshot and a fist-sized artificial hive. He tries to eyeball the trajectory to get it over the crystallized wall and lets loose, though the first shot falls short. He curses loudly, uncaring that his opponents below him might be alerted; they were going to find him soon anyways. The second shot is corrected enough to make it over the wall at least, and its resident wasps buzz loudly as they vacate their home and swarm on Sah-Tah-Ish's attacker.

Volley at Sah's Attacker: 2d6+0 7
Reducing ammo by 1.
Wasp Launcher Damage: 1d4 1 fuckin lol can't say i didn't try, at least it has the distracting tag on it

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

Please don't want those things.



HP 21/21 | Armor 1 | Load 4/15 | XP 0/8

D'argent strikes as the silver creature is buffeted from above and below by her companions. This needs to end now.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+0 7 Damage: 1d8 1

This whip is cursed. There is no other explanation.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Calliope Dispatch

You fly faster and faster as the overbearing radiance of the piercing moonlight reigns imperiously from above. Forcing yourself to ignore the pounding whispers rushing into your head, your eyes glance about rapidly as you ascent and turn around and around in search of the Waxing Lobby. "Clandestine Landing" no, "Etheric Vault" nope, "Argent Archives" no, "Wax-" wait! Whoops you just flew past it, if you want to get out of this... bad place you'll have to do some aerobatics!

Swinging back around and performing some kind of corkscrewy-loop-de-loopy thing that messes with your stomach a little, you come in but you're coming in way too fast! In fact you barely have time to brace for impact, but yet you must.

However just before you leave the deleterious light of the Luminous Steps the fragments of semi-heard whispers coalesce into something much more understandable, and perhaps, worrying.

What did they say?

Slamming into the doors hard, they slam open and your balance is shifted entirely off, causing you to jerk about suddenly, and fall off your broomstick and slam hard into the floor, your broomstick slides away across the floor a little distance as you lie there and try to regain your composure.

Damage: 1d4 1

Take 1 0 damage.

Luckily your padding helped you with that tumble, plus now that you are out of that deleterious light (or whatever it was) you feel a lot better. As you rise to gain your bearings once more the doors slam shut behind you. Looking about, you find yourself in a pillared landing-like area, towards the rear of the room sit a pair of grandiose staircases leading off in opposite directions. Between the stairs is some kind of signage by all appearances, but at this distance you can't quite make it out.

Especially because a bestial vaguely humanoid creature, hunched over and clad in tattered orange robes that cling barely to its bestial form, covered in shaggy black fur rises to standing between you and the signs. Having noticed your arrival it lets loose a deafening howl and begins to lurch towards you, moving between two legs and four in unsteady motions. Its yellow eyes are filled with rage or madness or both, its fangs drip with saliva that... sparks? It is then you notice that in one of its gnarled clawed fists (or paws) it clutches the remnants of a staff or similar implement, and you notice some rather ragged-looking mystical tattoos run up its right arm (or foreleg?) that occasionally glow ominously.

It seems unlikely that someone would dress up some dreadful monster in robes and give it a staff and apply mystical tattoos to it...

Before you get the opportunity to fully digest what implications this might have, its motions suddenly shift, lurching around rapidly - moving towards you but at a weird angle like its circling about (or spiralling) closer to you. As it does it drags its claws across the ground and seems to inhale (albeit raggedly), and sparks dance along its fur before coalescing about its left hand when it suddenly makes a stabbing gesture towards you, causing a bolt of lightning to lash out towards you immediately!

What do you do?

Sah-Tah-Ish

The silvery rod dissolves away as though it were a dream when it comes into near contact with your intense radiance. This catches the attacking dancer entirely off-guard, and your swift kick causes them to stumble back, injuring them further - causing their motions to begin to slow with an audible crack.

Vix

Your wasps swarm upon the target, causing them (as far as you can make out past the big objet d'art dominating the room) to have a harder time fighting back - and seemingly wearing them down through minor wounds, however the commotion you've caused has immediate consequences, as you notice the three dancers who were milling about below all turn to face you, and begin rushing up the steps leading to where you are, ready to confront you.

What do you do?

Janine

Sah-Tah-Ish intercepts a stab intended you for, and with her burning radiance prevents it from even hurting her. Taking the opportunity you lash out with the whip but it happens as they are (in a show of unearthly grace) simultaneously darting back and pulling forth (something tells you that they don't have a brace of these things up their sleeves) another silvery, sharpened rod and stabbing at you, both managing to catch each other at the same time.

Damage (1 Piercing): 1d8 3

Take 3 damage, 1 Piercing.

This time it manages to stab into your leg, before being forced to let go from the blow you inflicted upon it - tearing its robe some more and drawing forth more silvery 'blood'. The rod stabbed into your leg does some damage, but a disqueting cold numbness sets in almost immediately as the rod still hangs in your thigh, causing that leg to seize up and stop working properly. Luckily an unseen (although you have an inkling as to who it might be) attacker provides a greater opportunity - a small hive-like lump (roughly the size of a fist) shatters upon the open back of the dancer, exploding in a swarm of angry hornet-like creatures, and deal a little damage (opening more rents in the victim) but moreover they swarm about the dancer causing them to stumble away distracted heavily and losing their focus upon you.

What do you do?

Sah-Tah-Ish

Janine manages a counter-attack however this time the dancer's strike goes through unhitched, however it then becomes obvious that Vix is somewhere nearby - as a mini-nest of hornets strikes the dancer facing Janine who is being worn down with minor rents and blows, and now the swarm of angry insects is distracting it so much that it isn't on the offensive for the moment. Perhaps this is a good opening?

However past the 'statue' that Janine created earlier you think you just caught a glimpse of movement up the steps leading to where you think Vix is... probably not good news for Vix.

What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 6/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 4/8 | Confused | Sick

Sah gauged her opponent warily, ready to try and harry him while not getting in Janine's way; her whip was nasty and it needed room to breathe. As she circled her enemy, she caught movement out of the corner of her eye. Looked like Vix was about to have company and these dancers had proven capable enough that three on one were not odds she would be willing to bet on. drat. She did not want to abandon Janine. And yet...

"Vix! Heads up!" Dancing backwards, Sah threw out a hand towards the frozen flames her doppleganger had conjured up. This was certainly novel, but even as the flames were she ought to be able to bend them to her will. Grasping hold with her mind, Sah stamped down with a mental boot as she tried to douse the fire entirely. The wall flickered and began to ebb and she sprinted forward to support the imp.

Zuko Style: 2d6+1 8
the flames will only die out very briefly but that should be enough to get past them and flank Vix's encroaching ambushers.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 1/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

Calliope races up the steps, the strange light making her feel tiny and exposed, as if she was crawling across a vast desolate plain, whispers clawing at the back of her mind. At the last moment she dives through a door, as the whispers become words. The vault of Yllar is open, it's seals unbroken, the shadow of Naman...

"Ouch!" Calliope blurts, more from surprise than actual pain as she crashes onto the floor. She gets back to hands and knees, shaking her head to clear it, trying to get her bearings. Then she spots the warped creature rushing towards her, glances towards her brookstick and realizes its out of arm's reach, and takes emergency measures. With a gesture and a word felt more than heard, she hurls a bolt of power at her foe, hoping to knock it back long enough so she can regain her feet.

Black Magic (+INT): 2d6+2 7
• You draw unwanted attention or put someone in a spot
* Tags: Near, Forceful
Black Magic: Damage: 1d8 5

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2018 around 15:24

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

"Yeah, I know, I know!" Vix calls back down to Sah-Tah-Ish. He draws a curved dagger from the sheath concealed behind his pack and charges the dancers, deftly springing between them and adopting an en garde stance. "What, think I can't fight?"

He actually can't, and he actually isn't. Why fix something if it's not broken? The actual, invisible Vix retreats to Sah's position as his illusory double continues to talk trash and deftly evade the attacking dancers. "Psssst, that's not me up there." He whispers loudly to the fire mage. "Just blast the pack while I've got them clumped together."

Glamour to distract the attacking dancers: 2d6+2 11

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013




There were a plethora of disciplines used during the war, and those which affected a change in the mind were not uncommon. The last time Srmz had encountered such a magick it had been expected, protective wards and training in mental conditioning had allowed Srmz to take on the semblance of one bewitched, while maintaining Srmz's "true" identity within the recesses of Srmz's mind. Those wielding the magics had been dispatched, never knowing their puppet was not what it seemed. Srmz using previous training and the residual energies of wards cast on Srmz long ago, allows the identity of being imposed to take root at a superficial level after feigning resistance and defeat. Hopefully, being taken as a part of this place would allow Srmz to navigate this palce more rapidly and safely.


Just a fantasy dreamt up by an idle mind?


defy danger wits 2d6+1=10
HP 23/26 | Armor 0 | Load 3/10 | XP 2/8e

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2018 around 01:27

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

Please don't want those things.



HP 19/21 | Armor 1 | Load 4/15 | XP 0/8

There! A race between her stiffening body and the distracted dancer. A final lashing, this time going directly for the damned thing's skull.

Damage: 1d8 5

Surely that's enough. Even these moonsprung mechanisms can only take so much punishment.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Sah-Tah-Ish

The flames vanish as though they never were... for a moment, just long enough for you to slip through the hole they left behind before they fade back into existence as though they were always there. You think you see the group of other three dancers at the top of the stairs, and head up swiftly.

Calliope Dispatch

You lash out with mystical power at just the right time, and it grunts as your bolt of power lances into its shoulder knocking it back and down with a heavy impact, however as it was being struck it was simultaneously discharging a bolt of lightning towards you, but its angle was suddenly shifted by the force of your attack driving it back and down, and the bolt instead shoots upwards, striking at the connecting cord suspending a glowing chandelier holding motes of brilliant silver flame above you. With the violent energies striking it, there is a loud cracking noise and it starts to hang looser and looser, creaking louder and louder before it suddenly loudly SNAPS and the heavy metal framework clad in jewels and mystical flames has begun a rapid descent towards you.

Meanwhile your erstwhile aggressor has begun to rise again, using the staff it is holding onto to prop itself up, but cannot manoeuvre to threaten you again just yet.

What do you do?

Vix & Sah-Tah-Ish

Vix's plan has worked for the moment, the three attacking dancers spend the moment fighting with your illusory duplicate. These three are wielding different weapons each that they seem to have drawn from their robes earlier (presumably when chasing after you originally), one is wielding a pair of silvery tonfas, one is wielding a silvery (albeit otherwise undecorated) quarterstaff, and another is wielding a man-catcher pole (though how would someone conceal a quarterstaff or a man-catcher pole in their robes is another question entirely). Vix's illusory double has so far managed to deftly avoid their combined attacks.

They haven't noticed the real Vix, nor have they noticed the approach of Sah-Tah-Ish yet. The initiative is yours to seize!

What do you do?

Srmz

Endure. By enduring grow strong.

An adage from long ago but no less applicable than it is right now. Especially given your peculiar status.

Looking down you find your outer shell stabilising, but this is not something that you must fully accept, lest you become lost to this infection. As the world around you fades away entirely - being replaced by a silvery void - you feel yourself (or 'yourself') standing up straight, as your many arms recede and your legs become normal.. ish. Your back cracks as it takes on a more sane notion of humanity - or something that is a closer facsimile to it than your previous form. Your clothes seem to change, re-knitting and reshaping around your new form, and just as they are completing you feel a peculiar sensation - a feeling of nausea hits you and your new form doubles over, vomiting forth some kind of white substance - something akin to milk or a roux, although it flows out of your mouth as a liquid and falls into your hands, it rapidly congeals and solidifies into the shape of a featureless mask (now seemingly better resembling ivory or perhaps bone), which you seemingly reflexively press to your face (and it seemingly attaches itself, albeit lightly).

This entire the time the whispers have been assaulting you but have not burrowed down deep enough to affect the real you, and instead see fit to harass the outer shell, however the whispers soon clear to a point.

At this point the silver haze of this non-place seems to begin to shift subtly, and you feel as though you are being drawn elsewhere. Three distinct whispers dominate the outer shell currently, although you cannot truly understand them - lest you become influenced, you gather that they are each providing orders that will bring you to a different location each, given your currently-conceal nature it is possible to effortlessly influence which of these orders gets received with the greatest clarity, and consequently where this shell will go to. Of the three separate locations you gain the following insights:
- A fallen stone, claimed by rebels - you can almost smell their rebelliousness as strong as their musk.
- A hall of mirrors, site of a project - a crossroads of grand proportions.
- A high tower, to better gaze at home - with it closer proximity to her.

Where do you choose to go (if anywhere)? Also what do you do?

Janine

With one final strike you cut down the last of the dancers on this side of the room, they fall to the ground, their silvery 'blood' splashed upon the floor. You get a moment's peace and manage to pull out the metal rod from your leg and take proper stock of this chamber. Noticing that... the other two dancers that were most recently slain have, vanished in a sense - perhaps dissolved away? Their arms are no longer here and their robes now lie empty on the floor. As you consider this the silvery rod you plucked from your leg rapidly begins to degrade, melting away into nothing - and the whip you still in one hand, although still present - for the moment - has changed a little in a peculiar manner, its weight has shifted weirdly and it feels almost insubstantial now. Perhaps the arms that they were wielding were mystical constructs and with their deaths they fade away, although perhaps they were something else as well, given that their remains do not... remain.

Sah-Tah-Ish having already left through an unceremonious hole that she creates through the sheet of flames that you froze into place, you are alone for the moment - although you can hear sounds of battle beyond this 'statue', before you can get too much of a breather you start to hear that ominous noise again. The footfalls of heavy boots, the clicking of staves... the wardens are approaching, although they are still at some distance, they are coming this way, and you don't have too many directions that you can go - without issue, at least.

What do you do?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



HP 23/26 | Armor 0 | Load 3/10 | XP 2/8

The delusion is tempting so tempting. To become as we were. To become lost in another fantasy. Resistance. We must always endure, we must always have the will to be who we are.

A decision must be made. Unfortunately I am not unbiased in its making.

It is dangerously sentimentality that plays into this silvery dream and giving into the illusion is a mistake, but the notion of seeing home again is too much.

Home is a word which brings me to tears my eyes. To gaze upon the amber plains once more to feel the cool winds whip through my hair, carrying upon their breath the scent of lilac. The slow drone of Ciadas, as I close my eyes under a solemn oak.

I set the outer shell upon the course of ascent.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Jan 28, 2018 around 09:12

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 16/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 4/8 | Confused | Sick

All at once Sah's wounds caught up with her, as well as a smidgen of caution. The enemy was distracted and Vix's whisper in her ear reassured her the situation was not utterly dire. Death now might be glorious, but it would also be wholly pointless. Her boots dug into the floor as she arrested her dash and her hand swept back in a reflexive, endlessly practiced motion as it seized the healing potion in her satchel. With a practiced twist of her head she tore the cork from the vial with her teeth and upended the contents into her mouth, feeling the invigorating magics suffuse her body.

Using my healing potion to recover 10 hp

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

"I guess now's a good time to take a breather," Vix says. He twirls a finger, spinning up a similar defensive illusion for Sah-Tah-Ish, though her double is carefully overlaid her actual self for now. The imp briefly considers the complications with her last illusory double but does little more than give a defeated shrug. At least those idiots were still busy with action hero Vix. "Whatever. Ready when you are."

Defend Sah-Tah-Ish: 2d6 10 ppfffffttt hahaha nailed it. going to keep standing in defense of her while she attacks these chumps. picking half damage, +1 forward, and 1 damage to the attacker.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 1/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

The first problem is, of course, the giant collection of glass and metal tumbling towards her. Calliope scrambles across the floor, reaching for her staff. Her finger hits it, pushing it further away. "Eek! Come here!" She lurches forward, grabs it properly this time, and then it yanks her out of the path just in time.

Defy Danger (+DEX): 2d6+1 8

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Srmz

Ascension, it is - whether this is purely literal or perhaps figurative is another matter entirely.

Nonetheless the silvery void fades, and reality (in a fashion) reasserts itself.

Stone floors, walls, and ceilings. Brilliant silver light suffusing everything and of indistinct origin, sconces burning with silver flames lie upon the walls further enhancing this. Tapestries and banners hanging - depicting lunar symbolism. You're back, at least.

Ah, closer to home, it is all too familiar. But you've never been to this section of the University before. Everything is as it should be, you know with certainty. As your senses begin to fully realise where you are, you find yourself in a grand lobby of sorts. There is a voice in the back of your mind but soon that will wash away like frail individualities. Your attunement is not quite complete and so your senses are patchy, however slowly this scene comes into focus. At the rear of the chamber hangs a huge 'portrait' of the full moon - the frame made of some form of pale wood, enhanced with silver. Two huge sets of stairs flank the massive portrait, leading somewhere higher up and out of sight. Soon you will take your take your place with your brethren, and ascension will grow closer. Found throughout the chamber arranged in peculiar patterns stand a large group of masked humanoids clad in pale robes (appearing just like your outer form) currently standing attentive but idle. Oh! If you knew you were to expect royalty then you would have made a greater attempt to neaten yourself up! Then your senses start to notice something - a silvery radiance is hanging around the centre of the room, and area that you thought was otherwise empty but perhaps instead you just did not notice - your senses are still trying to deal with this exotic existence after all. The silver radiance, heralded by dissonant whispers coalesces into a grandiose form, something large, something dangerous, something strange. You hope you don't embarrass yourself at such an important event!

What is it?

Furthermore, as you take stock of this scene you become keenly aware that although your outer form can endure, it can only endure so much, additionally it acts somewhat as a filter for your magics. Attempting to use your inherent magics in any significant fashion might arouse suspicion, or worse - if it becomes too strong, too chaotic, or both, the fabric of your disguise will be rent asunder, exposing your deception to all to see. On the other hand if you were to utilise your magics in a more lunar fashion it might work better...

What do you do?

Sah-Tah-Ish

You feel the magic of the healing potion wash through you, the bitter taste of it fading away (you'd think they'd've found a way to make them taste nicer by now, wouldn't you?) as you feel your wounds close and the pain ebbing away.

Vix

Your magics come to fruition without issue once more, Sah's duplicate forming (and overlapping) without any cause for concern.

Calliope

You manage to dive out of the way of the falling chandelier and (eventually) grab ahold of your broom. Although safely out of the way of the initial fall you notice that broken remains of the chandelier has rapidly begun to crackle and burn with weird silvery energies, some kind of weird resonance has begun to occur, which is probably not good news. Meanwhile, your erstwhile foe has managed to climb back to something approximating standing, pulling itself up with its stave - bracing itself - before it inhales once more, causing sparks to run up along its tattoos, and it rapidly begins to advance upon you once more, looking keenly ready to either strike or let loose another bolt of lighting (it seems to be slightly more hesitant to commit itself to either, for the moment), heedless of the possible dangers of the broken chandelier.

What do you do?

Sah-Tah-Ish & Vix

The trio of dancers still readily attack Vix's duplicate, however their attack patterns are shifting and they look like they are about to change their tact entirely, furthermore given their change in stance it has become apparent that they have by now noticed Sah-Tah-Ish, although they have yet to commit to a full assault upon her, they look ready to guard themselves from any attacks from Sah's direction at least. If given the time and opportunity this may change, however...

What do you do?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



HP 23/26 | Armor 0 | Load 3/10 | XP 2/8

Oh I hope she gets here soon! I cannot quite see it, I cannot quite grasp it. The outer-shell fuzzies reality. The fire and the light are blinding. Perhaps… Perhaps… that is something Sah-Tah-Ish was seeking? Or perhaps it is something d’Argent wants? Perhaps it is both? They are both loved by flame and light. I cannot tell what it is, I do not *know*, what folly this empty speculation is.

All we can do for now is plan, observe, and wait for an opportunity to present itself.


discern reality 2d6+1=7

What should I be looking out for? (What should I *know* and in knowing grow strong?)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 16/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 4/8 | Confused | Sick | Burning Brand: +1 damage, fiery, touch, 3 uses

Sah wiped an arm across her mouth and threw the empty potion vial to the ground. Her stomach still roiled and her head swam, but she could feel her strength returning nonetheless. Time to crush these idiots.

"Janine, finish that fool. Vix, back me up." She did not turn to glance at her companions. Too risky to permit the three foes ahead even a suggestion of an opening. Falling into a stance, Sah took a single step forward and cracked her neck, hoping to intimidate the dancers with her nonchalance. Her pain and anger had finally begun emitting sparks that she could use. Reaching into her heart, she fanned those sparks into a blaze and seized upon it.

Burning Brand: 2d6+1 11
+1 damage and removing the dangerous tag


Sah-Tah-Ish's hands erupted into flame, consuming her arms in a roiling inferno. She beckoned her foes forward with an arrogant smirk. "Come and die."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

"Already am, lady." Vix stands there, arms wide in a fighting man's shrug. "Do your thing."

still holding on to the defend action

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 16/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 4/8 | Confused | Sick | Burning Brand: +1 damage, fiery, touch, 2 uses

quote:

upon witnessing your violent display, two of the three 'dancers' turn about suddenly in disquieting unison (the ones wielding the staff and the tonfas) and lunge at you

Sah moved forward to meet the pair as they launched their assault. Ducking under a wide sweep of the staff, the salamander powered forward and rose up before the tonfa wielding goon. He had just enough time to see her fist trailing blistering flame before it caught him square in the jaw.

She used the momentum of the blow to bring her back around to face the staff wielding dancer, her off hand casually tossing her braids back over her shoulder.

Hack & Slash: 2d6+1 7
Damage: 1d8+1 9

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 2/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

Calliope picks herself up finally, stave held in front of her. "You're going to that way are you? Well two can play at that game!" She weaves a quick spell, fingers moving nimbly as she mutters the words of power. As they begin to spark, she makes a sharp motion with her hand towards the... thing and a bolt of lightning flashes out to connect them.

Black Magic with reach, piercing 2.
Black Magic (+INT): 2d6+2 6

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Srmz

Daring not to directly gaze at something such as this is of course appropriate etiquette. You are not nearly pure enough to grant you such an honour, not yet at least. Still, things seem to be going as expected, the patterns are being followed as they have been foretold. Casting your perceptions about in a manner that distinctly avoids looking directly towards what is considered improper you become keenly aware due to the subtle motions of the other robed and masked figures forming the strange patterns (and occasionally re-positioning themselves), and other such ephemera that are present here that there is something from outside nearby. Somewhere up in the tower lies... a flame, perhaps? Trapped in such a manner that it as seemingly lain undetected by the denizens of this place, who would otherwise be better at sensing outsiders and treating them accordingly, at the very least when the moon disappears once more... something from outside shouldn't disappear with it, but this mote of fire has not. Nothing here or moreover in the grand tower that you stand below is out of place! Purity is something even the lowliest of convert can appreciate. The fact that you are able to recognise it is likely because you are an outside, however your currently even more peculiar nature has likely allowed you some element of acuity of recognising the peculiarity of this flame's presence.

Well there are the beastly rebels but they cannot be helped, some just don't want to be useful. Seems reminiscent of what you know of Sah-Tah-Ish. But those creatures who would rather mar their forms with hunched backs and lust for blood and meat can be tamed... to an extent.

Time passes as you fold into the pattern, taking your appointed place and following the flow - periodically relocating as directed. Then descending from the stairs comes a friend, like you but so much more. Another masked denizen has arrived but this one is different to the others, they are much taller, and very slender, exquisite silver armour flows upon their form - not obstructing their effortlessly graceful movements, although they are not wearing robes they have a long flowing pale white cloak that dances and ripples behind them as though blown by an ethereal wind, they have four arms ending in silver gauntlets, and their mask has maniacal grinning expression etched upon it. An intense aura of silvery power and potential echoes after them creating strange afterimages. There has been a disturbance, and you and several of your brethren have been beckoned by this champion to follow! You can feel this calling as several of the robed figures move in eerie unison to flank the silver-clad creature, your shell has been beckoned to join their host and deal with whatever threat they have been summoned to defy.

Only a moment would be allowed before it would be considered rude not to obey! Given the way these things seem to operate your cover will be more than likely blown if you do not submit.

What do you do?

Sah-Tah-Ish

You manage to lash out with a series of blows with your flaming fists, initially you and the tonfa-wielding dancer hold one another off, each blows being avoided or parried in turn, before you manage to break through their guard and deliver a lethal burning uppercut to their form, just as they simultaneously lash out at your shoulder with one of their silvery tonfas, except Vix's illusion is working its magic and instead they lashed out at open air as the illusion falters helping you bypass their defences even better. Your heavy blow is quite against them as you send their body flying with a loud crack, and setting the upper part of their robes and that area ablaze, they come to rest, dead some distance away. However you get too entranced by your success in this enterprise because before you have the opportunity to react you have already been flanked by the quarterstaff-wielding dancer, who manages to sweep your legs from under you and deliver a decent blow to your back as you hit the floor.

Damage (Piercing 1): 1d8+1 5

Take 5 3 damage (1 Piercing)

Recognising the danger of your burning fists, the staff-wielder then darts back before circling around once more ready to lash out at you in a moment's notice, trying to leverage their greater reach to their advantage.

What do you do?

Vix

Your illusion worked wonders! It scuppered one of their attacks and created a suitable opening. However as the illusion's nature becomes apparent it fades and flickers away, such is the fate of all illusions.

Now Sah-Tah-Ish having dispatched the dancer wielding the tonfas, she has been tripped up by the quarterstaff-wielding one who is fighting defensively, having recognised the danger of Sah's burning fists.

Meanwhile the other dancer-wielding the man-catcher pole is still battling it out with your illusory doppelganger, which is a good sign. But given how much Sah is pressing her advantage, it will undoubtedly treat her as a preferential target once she has taken out the staff-wielder.

What do you do?

Calliope

As you loose the bolt of lightning it becomes rapidly apparent that the strange disturbance caused by the broken chandelier-like contrivance interacts with magic in some capacity. You witness the lightning bolt mid-flight changing its arc, redirecting itself following arcane geometry as it 'circles' into the midst of the fallen chandelier in an instant - as does the lightning bolt launched by your adversary. Then the hum shifts to a whine to a strange reverberation in a split-second, and then a roar as everything goes white. You feel the force of the blast knock you back as arcane power erupts.

Damage (Ignores Armour): 1d10 10

Take 10 damage (Ignoring Armour)

You feel it scythe through your being as the violent force flings you backwards, the ground crumbling beneath you. Just as you regain your sight you slam into the sides of the newly created pit, and manage to grab on with one hand, your other clasped tightly to your broomstick. As you take a moment to regard your surroundings you see a big drop into some kind of brightly lit chamber below, large rectangular vats of brilliantly glowing pearlescent fluid (or something approaching fluid) dominate the room, the vats divided up into a grid-like pattern by what you believe to be walkways of some kind - however the drop is quite extreme. Glancing up into the chamber that you were in that was significantly damaged, you find a large hole is now set across it, and your erstwhile attacker is missing - hopefully dead.

However you feel the dizziness from being exposed to such a great force begin to set in as you begin to feel your grip upon the edge of the pit slipping.

What do you do?

OOC

Mr. Maltose is suffering computer problems right now, so I'll move things along for the moment just to keep things going, but hopefully this will be resolved soon!

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 16/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 4/8 | Confused | Sick | Burning Brand: +1 damage, fiery, touch, 1 uses

Fighting Fire With Fire: 1d4 4
I will reduce the damage from three to nothing.


As the staff swung towards her legs, Sah seized upon the inner flame and wrenched. Her body burst into living fire for the briefest moment as the weapon passed uselessly through her before reincorporating, unharmed. Rolling her shoulders, Sah fell back into her stance and likewise circled her adversary. The reach advantage was troublesome, and they wielded the staff well. It would be tricky to pierce those defenses. Then again...why try to pierce them when she could remove those defenses entirely?

Shifting to bring her right side forward, Sah darted inwards, bringing her hands together into a brutal palm slam. As the dancer whipped their weapon about to counter, Sah saw her moment. Shifting her momentum, she spun opposite the dancer's angle of attack and grabbed for the staff. As she lunged, she channeled her burning brand wholly into her hands - it took mettle she did not think these things possessed to retain a hold on a weapon burning red hot.

Attempting to seize the staff and channel my burning brand into it.
Defy Danger...by acting fast: 2d6 6

Shardix fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2018 around 12:32

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 6/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 2/8 | Bag of Books 3/5


"That could have gone better..." Calliope declares, coughing a bit. She tries to get a better grip, looks down, swallows, and thinks about what she wants to do. She was looking for the Waxing Lobby, but that seems to have been blown up. She needs to expand her options - up through the ruined room, or down to see what's below her. Either way, Calliope isn't going to get there clinging to the rubble.

So she does something risky. Getting a tight grip on her broomstick, she swallows, then lets go with her other hand. She swings the broom into position as she begins to drop, and pulls up immediately.

Defy Danger (+DEX): 2d6+1 9

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


[quote="MinutePirateBug" post="481098832"]

HP 23/26 | Armor 0 | Load 3/10 | XP 2/8

It is an honor to follow this champion! Patience patience patience. We submit and bide our time.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

Vix lets out an enthusiastic woo as his illusory double of Sah-Tah-Ish breaks away, fooling the dancers.

Of course, his self-satisfaction is short lived as he realizes that his efforts didn't get them much. It was time to actually get into the fray, and for real now. "You suckers want to ignore me now? What, you think I can't do anything?" He dashes up behind the dancer with the staff and kicks it in the back of the knee, throwing it off balance as it swings at Sah. "Well, you'd be mostly right, hah!"

Aid Sah: 2d6+1 11 aiding Sah to give a +1 on that Defy Danger to make it a 7

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Sah-Tah-Ish

Vix's sudden appearance causes your attacker to lose their balance for a moment, and although they swiftly recover, their tact changes in an instant. Rolling, they turn their movements into a direct attack - swinging down upon you with their quarterstaff. You reach out but don't manage to dodge the attack per se, and it slams into your shoulder.

Damage (1 Piercing): 1d8 8

Take 8 damage (1 Piercing)

Heavily, but gritting through the pain you use that moment to wrap your burning hands around the length of their quarterstaff, causing the heat and flames to suddenly dance up its length, causing them to relinquish the staff and tumble away, attempting to form a little distance between both you and Vix. Returning to a more defensive stance, the masked assailant forms a simple mudra with one gloved hand, while their other forms a more grasping appearance, as they do so both of their hands begin to glow with silvery light.

It tries to maintain a smooth position as it watches the both of you carefully, but seems more focused on Sah-Tah-Ish currently. Its attentions suddenly focus more upon you as you hear a noise and notice the movements of the dancer wielding the man-catcher pole out of the corner of your eye, they appear to charging at Vix.

What do you do?

Calliope Dispatch

You let go and attempt to swing about on your broom, although the angles are tight and you feel the centripetal forces begin to turn your stomach slightly you hold on - but your moment is triumph is tainted as you feel something shift upon your person... something has come lose and you watch it swing away - centrifuged off of you - dropping off towards the vats of milky-looking fluid below.

What useful, valuable, or precious item or piece of equipment did you lose?

However you manage to manoeuvre free from your sticky position and begin to hover, free to move in whichever direction you should see fit, below you lies the aforementioned vat chamber - the item or equipment that so carelessly escaped falling away rapidly - as your eyes begin to take in the vast surroundings you spot in one corner some kind of vast alchemical station, seemingly hooked up to the vats.

Meanwhile, pivoting about to look up you spy the way towards the lecture theatre you so dearly want to attend, the stairs still looks intact!

But time is of the essence, after all it's not just the dangers involved in being here that are a problem - the place only exists (to a point) during these nights of the full moon! Moreover, with an explosion that loud and destructive it may have attracted the attention of the wardens of this place, or maybe even other erstwhile assailants have slithered out of their lairs to investigate.

What do you do?

Srmz

Obeisance is always the correct choice. Strength comes from purpose which comes from unity. This is how it should be, perfect, immaculate, order. A disturbance has been sensed amidst the encroaching order of her commands, and so close to the Luminous Steps, and such a place cannot be allowed to be tainted so easily by chaos. You have a sinking feeling that this disturbance might be caused by one of your fellows. Unless there are other intruders of course. But.... well it isn't unexpected.

Nevertheless you walk your appointed path, through the endless corridors of this place, suffused with silver light. But because you walk with purpose and along an assigned path it is over before you know it, and you stand amidst a grandiose hall now. Ah yes! The Hall of Reflection! Of course! This chamber is even brighter than the silver intensity that otherwise bathes this place, as although this hall is much grander than the corridors you've been moving through - it is dominated by a weird silvery... thing? It's hard to describe, but what appears to be a silvery liquid metal is floating about in the air, flowing about in discrete complex patterns forming spirals and other various shapes as a part of one singular current. An array of sorts, perhaps? Beyond this the walls are lined heavily by brilliant shining mirrors that all appear to be larger than you, although not remotely as big as the weird silvery array dominating the chamber. At a glance you cannot see any other exits from this chamber. You do note as the scintillating lights play across the chamber that there are several figures standing below the array near the centre of the room, clad in white robes and masks, and seemingly staring transfixed at the strange thing. The assembled hosts do what is expected of them, of course! They respond immediately as the champion and your 'group' enter the chamber, turning and bowing deeply in unison. Otherwise unspeaking.

The Luminous Steps are so close (yet so far). Your champion shows no intent on slowing in their mission, and neither have you or your fellows. Without any further ado your group begins moving towards a particular section of mirrors upon the walls. A portal, naturally. Space is after all, a delusion. Once more you are at a point where choices could be made, this strange entity and their followers are keen on tracking this disturbance and this mirror-portal is one more step closer, but the Luminous Steps from what you understand seem... potent, which the deleterious power that has transformed these poor creatures, and attempted to transform you. There are perils going to be involved, but this would be the last opportunity to reveal your true self, or at the very least flee before things go worse.

What do you do?

Vix

Your reveal yourself dynamically and giving Sah-Tah-Ish the opportunity to disarm her opponent, who has instead been forced to rely on magic - at the least their reach has been much depleted by this, even if Sah-Tah-Ish took a blow in the process. However your victory is short-lived as you become aware of a sudden metallic clink behind you, and you turn to find the dancer wielding the man-catcher pole has seen things for as they truly are and is presently charging you, their motions eerily graceful as always.

What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.



HP 8/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 5/8 | Confused | Sick

Sah reeled back from the blow, grimacing at the explosion of pain. No time to pause and take stock of the injury. She would just have to hope nothing had been broken. Tossing the staff aside, she presented her uninjured side to her foe and readied herself for the next exchange - and judging by those hand gestures it would be up to her to make the first move and make it quickly. There was no easy place to duck away, and running further into an unfamiliar locale would almost certainly end with her in an even worse situation.

"HAAAA!" Charging forward, the salamander drew her good arm back and let loose with a crushing hook right to the dancer's face. The flames burst into renewed life along her arm and the air around her took on an oily, hazy texture from the heat.

Hack & Slash: 2d6+1 5
Burning Brand is now out of uses.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013




Srmz it is time to drop the mask. It is Srmz's duty to aid these poor souls who have had their minds overwhelmed and their bodies transformed by the luminous magics of conformity which pervade this place. Srmz knows the shell believed that it was its duty to prevent chaos from entering these "Luminous Steps", so Srmz believes introducing its chaos element to these “Luminous Steps” may serve as a way of wresting power away from the mind warping entities of this place. I slip off the shell and carefully put it with the others I have gathered over the years? infinities? moments?. I believe a mind as elaborately constructed as this has its own life and should not be destroyed unless it was of danger to the host - even if it weren't of potential use in the future. I direct the channeling of magics at the flesh and towards the portal, the effect follows the dropping the mask almost instantly, though not without damage to the flesh. Skin and non-vital bits are warped and seared, but it is only a minor agony to me. I turn to stop or at least hinder pursuit by collapsing or at least partially blocking the portal by channeling my element into it.


OOC: Not sure if two actions like this acceptable, if trying to close the portal or at least temporarily block it isn't kosher after teleporting through it. Then the blast is Srmz’s next action.

Teleport (Teleport, Hazardous) 2d6+2=7[/i]
Suppress Elemental backlash with body take damage 1d4=1[/i]
Channel "Ooze chaos at portal in attempt to close it" (blast, hazard) 2d6+2=10[/i]
damage from channel 1d8=7[/i]

HP 22/26 | Armor 0 | Load 3/10 | XP 2/8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 2/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

Calliope notices something tumbling down away from her, and pats herself down frantically, groaning. There goes all her rations. Well, at least she didn't lose everything. She pulls out a healing potion and downs it, her wounds mending a bit as she tries to decide her next move.

That stuff below - more moonsilver? It should be impossible. Or maybe... It's temping. Very tempting. But at best she'd be able to carry a gallon or two away. Useful, but more a curiosity than anything else. If she could fathom how they produce so much, that would be worth it. But there's not guarantee of that. And the way to the lecture hall is there.

So she goes up, rising quickly towards her goal.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply