Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Sah-Tah-Ish

You lunge at them with your burning fist, ready to dole out some fiery pain on these strange people. However their motions become frighteningly fluid as you make a misstep, your defensive stance grants them the opportunity to dodge away from your lunge and circle around before suddenly their 'grasping' hand makes contact with your, the glowing hand grabbing on to your shoulder. The silvery glow upon their hands encompasses you in an instant as the world fades to silver. Not again...

This time the teleportation seems more planned, or at least more stable. Both you and they are visible as you float amidst this silvery void, but they rapidly dissipate into nothing leaving you alone, and then the silvery void fades away stranding you back in reality, albeit in a different place. Unfortunately you've been to this place once before.

You find yourself at the edge of a large ritual chamber of some kind, an intense and seemingly unending fluting fills the air as figures like the ones you were just fighting dance and sing around a pillar of blindingly bright moonlight in the centre of the chamber. However, almost immediately they react to your presence, the ritual stops, the music stops (though you do not see the source of the fluting), and in disquieting silence they all turn to you and begin to advance upon you, although they're walking they are taking very swift steps and are rapidly approaching.

The chamber is huge and lined with pillars in some kind of ritual arrangement, there are three large doorways leading out of the chamber, one to your left, one to your right, and one directly behind you. However the ritual group are in front of you, and rapidly approaching.

What do you do?

Srmz

Sliding between the moments you breach the tiniest of firmaments and make it to the other side of the portal. Enraged at your deception, the otherwise unperturbed masked figures let loose a baleful keening, and the champion suddenly draws myriad silvery armaments from seemingly nowhere. Then it is that you attempt to use your chaotic emanations to disrupt the portal that you had just passed through. Initially, you are successful! The other side of the mirror-portal although initially fine, upon exposure to waves of your concentrated chaos, it rapidly clouds and darkens and goes hazy, like the cataracts of a blind person's eyes, the shape of the 'mirror' twisting unnaturally at the barrage. Silvery cracks begin to emanate out from it upon the air itself, caused by the unrealised energies of such a twisted portal, full of potential. However for the moment the portal seems inoperable. Hopefully this disruption will hold.

However as you finish taking stock of the effectiveness of your work, you finally take in your surroundings.

You are suddenly accosted by a blindingly bright silver light, away from the portal lies a huge stairwell with a huge set of steps encircling it - but also with haphazard stairs leading off and criss-crossing in various places - but also dominated by a huge skylight visible directly above, which seems to be the source of the light. Your time spent disrupting the portal may have been fruitful but you realise that time spent here might have its own costs attached as you suddenly feel it. There's some great and ancient presence here, the moonlight beating down upon you in a manner somewhat akin to the sweltering sun if you were trying to cross a desert. Except instead of hot, this cold and dry, but it is as though a great weight is being pressed down upon you, for now it is only something this mundane but you have a slightly nauseous feeling (somewhat akin to that which you felt before, back upon that strange other-world) that it might be a portent for something worse, especially as for a moment you thought you heard a snatch of indistinct whispering...

With the way behind disrupted (for now) there is nowhere else to go but up, but to where?

What do you do?

Calliope Dispatch

You zip about, no time to lose - especially as the night proceeds unflinchingly as it does. Rapidly you find yourself upon an upper area with doorways leading to several different rooms, appropriate signage indicates that these are lecture theatres, the nearest group are titled "Selenic Theatre", "Lleuad Theatre", "Mesec Theatre", and "Qamar Theatre". The corridors spread out farther of course, but they don't matter because this is it.

After all your preparations and research that you could do, you know which one of these four is the correct one.

Which one is it, why, and how did you find this out?

You feel some kind of disturbance outside, but it's hard to say specifically what it is without checking it out yourself, but either way you know that something or someone has gotten closer to you, perhaps a denizen of this place come to investigate, perhaps one of your allies, either way time of becoming limited.

What do you do?

Vix

You get barely a chance to react to your comrade being grabbed by the previously-staff-wielding 'dancer', before they suddenly both vanish in a flash of silver light, leaving you alone as you come under assault from the one wielding the man-catcher pole, but by now it's too late and they've already closed the distance to you and lunges at you their silvery weapon aiming down at you, towards your neck in an attempt to grab you.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ioyEvdggk

In a fugue state Srmz ascends the stairs, but as Srmz does so Srmz untethers Srmz's conduit. From every orifice it comes; from Srmz's pores, from Srmz's eyes, from the tips of Srmz's fingers, chaos comes flowing -spurting -dripping -bursting out in odd increments. In its wake it leaves distortions of impossible geometry, fleshy mounds of heaped writing organic material, oily self-perpetuating fractals patterns which seep across the stairs, miniature meadows of verdant flowering plants from which tiny eyes spy their surrounding - in short it leaves chaos.

Perhaps it would die here, perhaps it would change again. Fear gripped Srmz's heart and they reveled in a quiet yet wild exultation. There was only the ascent, and perhaps at the top there would be some way to help all that dwelt in this realm.

Srmz Trickles element across the stairs while ascending


HP 22/26 | Armor 0 | Load 3/10 | XP 2/8

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

Vix looks back to where his last teammate used to be. "What the gently caress!" He shouts. Unfortunately, his hateful protest causes his situational awareness to lapse, and in that time one of the dancers tries to rope him in. The imp dives away, but unfortunately his little legs can only get him so far...

Dex Defy Danger: 2d6 6 welp

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!


HP 8/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 5/8 | Confused | Sick

Sah-Tah-Ish blinked away the disorientation from being magically hurled through the silvery Nothingness. When the spots cleared, she immediately regretted it as the coven of robed figures turned towards her and began to advance. She could try to fight them, and there was a lot to be said for a bold and forceful approach. Those things were just usually said posthumously.

Turning on her heel, Sah broke for the doorway directly behind her.

Defy Danger...by acting fast: 2d6 7

Shardix fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2018 around 06:08

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 2/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

Calliope scans the doors, and lets out a sigh of relief when she spots the Lleuad Theatre. Zafyra ibe Zafyra was a student of Qamar, but she had taken the research into a new direction. The synthesis of Qamar's techniques with Applied Chronology was at the heart of Zafyra's work, and the apparatus for that had been invented by Lleaud. A careful examination of recovered schedules and course catalogs showed no other classes assigned to that theatre. Therefore, it was sure to be where she was holding her lecture.

Calliope glances around, then quickly writes out a note and sticks it to the wall next to the door.

quote:

I'm inside. - Calliope

Then, pulling a pen and a blank notebook out of her bag, she pushes into the room and looks for a seat.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Srmz

Cutting loose (or at least to some extent) is cathartic, as though perhaps this was your destiny - although this belies the question as to if this is the proper time and place. Nonsense! There's no better time than any time to revel in chaos! However something else is not so willing to let you be free. As you advance upwards you start to notice in the corner of your vision that some of the chaotic effects that you would have expected to either persisted, or left some sign of their passing are being undone, or even worse erased, as though whatever is in control of this place refuses to allow such changes to occur. All the while the sound of distinct, indistinct whispering grows more and more intense... and closer.

It is about a quarter of the way up the stairs, having not seen anything so far of particular note (endless doors and stairs but none of them speak to you as being particularly relevant), that the intensity of the sussuration suddenly hammers you harder, and the intensity of the blazing silver light from above becomes almost blinding, and intense cold stillness washes over you as your chaotic emanations are starting to be undone very shortly after they have begun, and a silvery contamination has begun filtering in at the edge of your vision itself. It's becoming harder and harder to move at all as the weight of intense baleful scrutiny pushes upon you harder and harder, making it more and more difficult to breathe.

What do you do?

Vix

You try to dart out of the way and ordinarily this might have been enough, but the eerie grace that these creatures display gives them the edge, and it suddenly leaps overhead, swinging around with its man-catcher-pole and drops down (kicking off of a nearby pillar), catching you by the neck and driving you to the floor heavily, slamming you with some force and causing significant pain, as the spikes close around your throat.

Damage (1 Piercing): 1d8 7

Take 7 damage (1 Piercing).

As you lie there, winded from the fall, the 'dancer' uses one hand to hold you down with its man-catcher-pole, before drawing back its other hand towards its body and beginning to make intricate and arcane gestures, causing a silvery glow to suffuse its hands - and run down the length of the man-catcher-pole. As this is beginning to happen you start to hear the voices of spirits once more, although these might very well not be the ones you spoke to earlier. "You have been summoned. You have been summoned. You have been summoned." they chant, their voices distinct yet ethereal, growing in intensity as the world around you begins to fade to silver and your opponent's arcanistry starts to perform its strange purpose.

What do you do?

Sah-Tah-Ish

Pivoting about rapidly and making a run for it has its advantages, but given the sudden rapidness of your motions you suddenly feel lighter, briefly taking a look over your shoulder as you begin to outpace the robed attackers with sheer moment, you notice something of use or value of yours has fallen to the floor behind you and you are moving rapidly away from it.

What did you lose?

Making quickly away from the assorted assailants, the twisting corridors seem alike as always, but swiftly you come to a four-way-intersection, with a pale tree with silver leaves hanging from it dominating the centre. Taking a quick scan of your surroundings, you glean the following notes:
- The left corridor reeks of sulphur, the sharp odour becoming strongly evident - but otherwise quiet.
- The right corridor heralds a 'chorus' of growls and feral noises, and the odour of musk.
- The central corridor seems to have some sort of display of flashing or otherwise scintillating silver lights, but is otherwise quiet and odourless entirely.

Behind you, you hear the rapid footsteps of your erstwhile assailants approaching, but they're not here yet, but they're getting closer.

What do you do?

Calliope Dispatch

Opening the doors reveals a colossal lecture theatre, with the assorted rows of desks looming upon high over the central floor. Like the other rooms before this, most floors, walls, and ceilings seem to consist of pale stone - and the desks and chairs are no different - although helpfully they appear cushioned. Although there are a lot of people and... other denizens here, given the sheer size of this room there are still a fair amount of seats left empty. The assorted onlookers make quite the sight, however they are chiefly transfixed at Zafyra ibe Zafyra's lecture.

Of the seats that remain that would give you an adequate view of the lecture, beggars can't be choosers after all, but several choices remain:
- One sits next to a haughty-looking Triton, clad in splendour.
- Another sits next to a hulking bestial figure, the scent of musk is evident even as far away as the door.
- A third appears adjacent to be oddly tall and clad in all-concealing black robes, an odd chill emanating from them.
- Another looks to be next to a githzerai, although their garb consists of neat robes made of some kind of shiny material.
- The final of the (easy to find) seats is next to a dragonborn, smoking from a huge ornate pipe causing a noxious cloud to descend around them.

What do you do?

Also, assuming you choose to take one of these seats, who or what sits next to you on your other side?

Janine Marie D'Argent

You spend a moment catching your breath as you attempt to get your bearings, a moment's nausea washes over you before you manage to recompose yourself. Your weapon is still wrapped around the burning doppelganger of Sah-Tah-Ish, still ablaze in a moment of roaring flame, but your comrades are currently absent, the sounds of fighting elsewhere in this chamber (out of sight) dying off, but hopefully successful. But you notice something important as you recompose yourself.

What thing of note or clue do you notice?

However time is up, all the while the heavy footfalls and clicking of staves has been getting closer. They're here.

The wardens.

Each are tall figures, pale in flesh but seemingly humanoid - their expressions are entirely lacking and their gaits seem almost identical. These aren't mere (albeit somewhat hulking) humans, but are obviously some kind of sophisticated automaton, likely bound to this place - not an uncommon trick of places of learning like this, after all if the whole place is charged with mystical energy you may as well use it for your guardians as well.

Each of them are carrying a quarterstaff, have a lantern shedding silvery light at their hips, and a silvery bell hanging from their necks. They look to you as they advance, their cloaked forms changing stance, raising their staves as the three of them spread out to flank you, ready to do you ill.

What do you do?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?



HP 9/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 2/8 | 0 Boon

Vix clutches at the rope, cursing as the barbs dig into his neck. The sound of voices turns his panic into frustration immediately, and he throws his hands up disarmingly. "Gods, fine! Fine! I'm summoned, alright? gently caress me," he grimaces. "I'm cooperating, see? Couldn't you have just said something earlier? Ease up."

I'm doing nothing I guess and playing it cool.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

If you ever need the Defenders drawn as ponies or the cast of Doctor Who, I know where to hook you up.

Please don't want those things.



HP 19/21 | Armor 1 | Load 4/15 | XP 0/8

Janine had finally looked up, straight up, as she struggled to catch her breath. The architecture here did not so much ignore space as aggressively spite it and the stairway extending almost nonsensically above her head was yet another example. It stretched up and out of sight, and seemed to originate some height from the wall opposite instead of the floor. It was a lucky observation, because it would be the means of her escape. Timing was critical.

As the sentries shifted as they became aware of her, Janine made a swift yanking motion. The Thunder Alive responded to her call, coming instantly to her hand. Unsealing the silverfire Sah simulacrum. A second gesture straight up, and the living lightning stretched to its full length and just barely wrapped itself to the stairs stretching far overhead. A single yank and D'argent was soaring high into the air. With any luck the wardens and the fake Sah would be too busy with each other to attempt pursuit.

Just in case it's needed I'm going to make a Defy Danger roll.
Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6+2 7

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!


HP 8/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 5/8 | Confused | Sick

Sah slowed and came to a halt as she came upon the intersection. Her head was pounding and her stomach still threatened to rebel and of all things. Of all possible things she could lose, her ribbon had come undone as she fled. This day was proving to be one she would carry a grudge against for years to come. The sounds of her pursuers registered in her mind but she pushed it back, refusing to let it unnerve her. She had survived the War. What was any of this in the face of that unending nightmare? Nothing whatsoever.

First things first. She was not going to leave the ribbon behind. No how, no way, not even were she to square off against all the armies of this world. Her sisters and the gift they had given her meant too much. Escaping back to her companions would just have to wait.

Flicking her eyes up, Sah gauged the walls and ceiling. One thing she had over the typical scholar and spell weaver was a well honed physique - and wounds aside, that physique was still functioning perfectly well. Outpacing her hunters in a place they knew and she did not was a fools errand. A bit of sneakery though? That just might work. With a decisive nod Sah stepped back, measured the run up, and sprinted towards the wall. Her momentum carried her up a few feet and she kicked off for even more height, grasping for a cornice near the ceiling to cling too. Her pursuers would hopefully be too focused looking ahead to think to look up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 2/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

The musky fellow and the pipe smoking dragonborn are right out. The mysterious figure seems unlikely to be nosy, but Calliope is a little chilled already. That leaves the triton and the githzerai. She glances around, decides the seat next to the triton has a better view, and hurries over to sit.

Calliope nods politely to her seat mate, setting her notebook on the desktop, but before she can get comfortable another late arrival comes in.


The well dressed drider takes a few moments to wedge herself into the seat while Calliope tries to avoid the flurry of limbs and lace one side and bumping the triton on the other.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Vix

The world fades to silver as you are taken away, an odd coolness fills you as this occurs, and a peculiar falling sensation hits.

Then suddenly, you're elsewhere.

Moreover, you're sat down on a chair, set before a huge table made of substance that seems to be simultaneously silver and marble. The silvery lighting of this place seems especially intense here, and a haziness seems to hang over this chamber making it seem almost like a dream. A great feast of strange foods, accompanied by even stranger decorations covers the huge table, set in elaborate serving dishes of (expectedly) silver design. The hall that this feast is occurring in seems to be of a much more ornate design, and a huge window showing off a black night sky dominates the chamber.

The other guests that are seated at the table currently myriad whimsical spirits, their appearances various; but with an overall lunar symbolism involved, most have silver and white as their colours (though some do also show other more varied colours like yellow, red, and, blue), and many have a peculiar stone-like appearance. However the biggest chair in the room at the head of the table, full of splendour and grandiosity, sits empty - for the moment.

There are seated spirits to your left and to your right. The one to your right turns to you, with intent.

Who are they and what do they want?

Also, what do you do?

Janine Marie D'Argent

You lash up and don't look back - which is just as well because there's a colossal roar of flame as the fiery emanation that Sah's erstwhile doppelganger was manifesting suddenly reaches its full power, a wave of heat and pressure washes forth below you. You know this because you weren't quite quick enough to make it out of the way of it entirely, the remnant of the blast clipping you and hitting you from behind, luckily it was not the flames themselves.

Damage: 1d6 6

Take 6 5 damage (after applying armour)

There is a sudden nauseating shift in perspective as you feel yourself rapidly reorient as gravity shifts towards the appropriate way to climb upon these stairs, but even while being buffeted by the arcane forces at work, you manage to grab on and swing about into position without too much of an ordeal, although the sheer rapidity of this motion does require a few moments respite just to regain your sense of balance. In your peripheral vision you notice flames raging 'above', and sounds of conflict. A conflict which is starting to rage out of control.

Discretion may be the better part of valour, at least in this case.

Taking stock of your surroundings, asides from the conflict 'above' you the the more conventional orientation with it, your other routes of escape are largely as such:
- Directly 'ahead' (which would head deeper horizontally into the University... probably), from which you think you can hear distant chanting (barely above the din of battle 'above' you)
- 'Below', via a spiralling staircase that you can spot glints of purplish light contrasting with the overall silver-white colours this place exhibits.

Either way, with the conflict raging 'above' you, it is better to make a decision sooner than later.

What do you do?

Sah-Tah-Ish

You manage to make it up the walls and cling to the cornice in question, holding onto the ceiling or near enough, the sounds of approach growing louder every second. Without any further ado they arrive, glancing down you see a group of six of them fan out rapidly as they enter the intersection, moving around the pale tree in the centre. Seemingly in silence, the group each in unison gaze down each of the other exits, before without any perceivable communication they split off into groups of two, each heading down a different passageway.

Leaving you alone, for the moment. And not a moment too soon as you find your grip upon the architectural conceits of this place beginning to slip. There is silence for a moment before you hear slow, purposeful footsteps, and an odd grating sound. Then you see it, a tall figure - clad in heavily padded pale robes, wearing a more detailed mask than the ones you've seen so far - more elaborate and heavy-looking its mask has thorn-like patterning running across it and a rose-like pattern where one of the eyes would be.

However what's more noteworthy about this strange new figure becomes more immediately noticeable, the source of the grating noise is a pair of scythe-like protrusions escaping its sleeves that it scrapes along the floor as it walks. Suddenly it stops and stands up to its full height - taller than the other ones that you've fought so far - and peers quizzically at the pale tree with silver leaves, raising its arm-scythes (if they're a part of it or just some form of exotic weaponry that it has attached to it you're unsure) as it examines the tree.

Unfortunately you become keenly aware that your grip is starting to slip from your hiding place, while this strange figure remains in this chamber.

What do you do?

Calliope Dispatch

The lecture continues, with your newfound deskmates.

"...now on the topic of quaternary pseudo-histories, of course one should endeavour to avoid examining such facets too closely - whether spectral analysis or more destructive methods, or worse directly interacting with these aspects. As one would expect from quasi-realities so distant to the primary this can cause runaway declension scenarios and at best will cause an intervention from Quaruts, if not less desirable results..."

During a lull in the lecture, the triton on your right declares himself to be called "Jarun, Prince of Go-Xaron"



Even when whispering, his voice booms somehow, and he generally seems to both enthusiastic and arrogant - as one might expect of a triton.

What does he say his purpose here is?

Whatever his purpose here is before too long he decides to gift you a decorative shell bearing his signet, as a method of networking. After all, even in times like these (especially in times like these) it does well to have contacts.

The shell is more than it seems. What's special about it?

"... now these insights can be implemented via the medium of alchemy. But obviously in that case one has to pay particular attention to the additional properties that can occur regarding solvents, maintaining an appropriate polarity regarding the chronomanipulative reagents and the solvent in question, otherwise interference will occur - of course if this is a multiple stage alchemical implementation an initially interfering setup that transitions towards an enhancing setup within particular parameters could be possible..."

At another quiet part of the lecture while Zafyra ibe Zafyra is drawing an incredibly complicated diagram regarding superposition of flux real states, the drider to your left introduces herself as Maenress Daevion'lyr.

What's her deal? What does she give you as a memento of this occasion?

"... the Fourfold Dilemma of course directly applies to all of these theories and none of them should be considered without first taking into account its implications. But ultimately there are myriad volumes which go into detail regarding such interactions, most of which are still existent. Of course as all entrepreneurial scholars will know the Forgotten Library of Dal-Jimmid would be the primary location to find such texts. With that in mind I think it is time to call this lecture to a close, and I hope you all found this as insightful as it was to research into such intricacies." continues Zafyra ibe Zafyra, "As a memento for your attendance I have compiled some interesting insights regarding the 'Twenty Seven Discreet/Discrete Chronomemetic Notions' that I mentioned earlier, that I am sure you will find fascinating." says Zafyra, beckoning one of their servants to hand each of the attendants (you included) a copy of a thick, leatherbound tome with such a title on its cover, although the way Discreet/Discrete is written seems to cause it to change rapidly between the two different words as you read it.

"Now to all of you I think it is important not to understate how none of you should forget the Eight Principle, but especially to 'Never Forget Nor-Vali'." suddenly announces Zafyra ibe Zafyra, standing once more at the centre of the theatre.

Throughout the lecture, what key insight did you draw from this that made this whole trip worth it?

But with their final utterance, suddenly the room goes dark... and cold. You blink and peer about and realise the room now looks a lot more ancient, and ruined. Many of the desks and chairs are crumbled, silvery spiderwebs are woven throughout the room, it looks abandoned and largely empty. Zafyra is absent, as are all of the other attendees.

Well, most of them.

The one reeking of musk is still here. Bulky and hunched over the now-ruined desks. Swiftly after... whatever happened occurred, they let out a wheezing cough crossed with a growl, and begin packing up their belongings, looking ready to move. But something seems very off about them, throughout the lecture they were largely quiet, but now they seem to ooze an aura of violent intent, although they seemingly haven't noticed you yet, who knows if this will last, especially once they start to move from their place...

What do you do?

OOC: MinutePirateBug: You still there?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!


HP 8/20 | Armor 0 | Load 2/10 | XP 5/8 | Confused | Sick

This wasn't good. The hulking brute below didn't seem inclined to hurry along and her grip wasn't going to last. Thinking quickly, Sah measured the drop. She ought to be able to land quietly enough, and while she had her doubts about dispatching this foe herself, she could certainly give it something else to worry about.

Letting go of the cornice, Sah fell and tucked into a roll.

Attempting to land without alerting the scythe handed figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 7/9 | XP 2/8 | Bag of Books 3/5

Calliope quickly fills pages worth of notes, blocks of her neat and small handwriting interrupted by lengthy formulas. She's starting to wonder if she should get out another notebook when Zafyra ibe Zafyra calls for a break.

The pattern keeps for the rest of the lecture - Calliope scrambling to keep up and write down everything, wearing her writing instruments out on complex diagrams, and the lecturer stopping just when she's about to fall behind.

It's during those stoppages that her seatmates introduce themselves. Calliope can't quite untangle the temporal threads to tell if she could meet them elsewhere/when, but that's no reason to be rude. Jarun, the Triton prince, claims to be here merely for love of learning, but Calliope knows another war-mage when she sees one. Jarun probably is just as much of a rake as he presents himself - being a noble makes that a lot more acceptable in a soldier - but he's certainly here to see if Zafyra's concepts have military application.

Jarun picks up on Calliope's shared background, and while neither speak of it openly, there's at least professional respect there. The shell the prince hands over is more than just a trinket as well - speak into it and drop it into salt water, and a message can be delivered to the prince from anywhere. The response can be heard by holding the shell to one's ear. It's slow, but it's workable.

Maenress Daevion'lyr, though, is something else entirely. The drider is a bit... overly familiar, though she never quite makes Calliope so uncomfortable as to say something about it. Maenress' teasing comments make Calliope think that she knows more than she lets on - and more than she should. Calliope is certain she's a seer or oracle at the least, and she has the increasing suspicion that Maenress isn't just here for the lecture, that she knows much of the material Zafyra is covering already. She can't be here for Calliope, of course... can she?

It's not a question Maenress is likely to answer. But the drider does give press a gift onto Calliope - a many colored silk shawl. Before Calliope can examine it closely, Zafyra moves into the final part of the lecture, drawing Calliope's full attention again.

The strange utterance and sudden end leaves her a bit disoriented, but not so much that she fails to see the other remaining student. Quickly sweeping her things off the desk, she ducks down behind the row of seats, throwing all of it into her bag hurriedly. Then she starts to make her way quietly towards the door, trying to keep low and out of site.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »