Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 0/8 | 0 Boon

"Well this old horror is pretty hungry himself," Vix complains, thumbing to himself. His tone hadn't strayed from jaded facetiousness the moment the team had set foot on the university grounds. "Listen, let's just call this one a bust, show ourselves out, and go get something to eat. Like Sah said, there's worse things about and it's starting to get a little busy. This way, to the party music. A little birdy told me this guy's cool."

The imp nonchalantly proceeds to the left as if he were navigating an old haunt. Some might mistake it for unfounded confidence, but it was always hard to tell with him. He contemplates raising a hand to shoo away a few obnoxious fairies, but stops when he realizes that the others couldn't see them. It was probably for the best that he didn't relay just how much of a disturbance their presence had caused already.

"Tee-hee! The old one walks without glamour. So hideous!"

"Hoo-hoo! It ignores us, it does! Can't let them know, it knows. Awful thing! Hardly convincing!"

"Boo-hoo! Please stop them from destroying our home! Taking our lives! Try harder!"

"Hey hey! Its court promised to save us!"

Taking point, while risky, did have its advantages; for example, the rest of the group can't see him mean-mugging unseen spirits and subtly signaling for them to get lost. Vix lets out a deep, frustrated sigh. "Not to escalate the sense of urgency here, but I'm hearing a lot of whispers about the stuff gaining on us, and I get the feeling that getting to a high point and floating down might be our best option. Let's stay conservative and keep our weight low."

He stops and spins in place. "That means don't pick anything up. And remember, the best fight's the one you're not in!" He wags a patronizing finger before scampering off around a shadowy corner.

The illusion of silence was certainly a useful one, though any idiot in sight could tell that something was up when someone spoke with no sound. "I need each and every one of you to shut the gently caress up right now," Vix addresses the spirits firmly. "I'm trying, okay? You're giving me nothing. Help me help you. Quit talking poo poo and give me a way out, or something to watch out for. Or even better: tell me who went rogue and broke the peace deal The Court brokered, 'cause that's the one thing I'm actually here for. Sooner I know, sooner I can get us out of your hair. Nobody's gotta die today, got it?"

"I mean, besides the dirty rat gently caress who thinks they know better than the rest of this institution."

Discern Realities: 2d6+1 9
Who's really in control here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Vix peeks back around the corner. "We can explore as a side effect of getting lost, which coincidentally is what we're doing right now." He pauses to give Srmz's wall a critical look and motions dismissively to it. "Where'd...? Forget it. Let's go."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Cool. Great. Dance party. Unimpressed, Vix wanders over to one of the seats and hops up into it. He does little more than shrug at Calliope's disappearance. "Like herding cats," he mumbles, slouching forwards and propping his head up with a hand. Observation was always the best thing to do before coming to a decision.

But sometimes people didn't give you enough time to observe.

"loving moonies." Vix jumps to his feat, and makes a quick arcane gesture. Sah-Tah-Ish goes invisible and a mirrored image appears a few yards away. It was something that the imp had rehearsed so frequently that it was as reflexive as opening a door. Unfortunately, one tends to become complacent when acting so quickly. He realizes his mistake immediately and tries his best to tunnel an auditory message to her.

"Sah, my displacement illusion can't cover your flames, you need to project the flames from the illusion or set it on fire or something quick!"

Glamour to Trick the Dancers: 2d6+2 9
They need proof!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 0->1/8 | 0 Boon

"Don't thank me, thank yourself. You did all the hard work there, hotshot." The pun is wholly unapologetic and delivered via finger guns to the simulacrum. "You wanna live longer, you should probably get moving though. Actually, let's all move this a-way. Along the wall." Vix scampers off across the chairs lining the champer. "Just pull them so the tail of the group stays over there. Easy!"

Defy Danger with Quick Thinking (INT): 2d6+1 4
pfffttttt or not

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 0->1/8 | 0 Boon

Vix's already inefficient escape route is narrowed by a wall of flame. "Hey, watch it!" He puts a hand up and dives forwards, stumbling along the chairs as he fails to regain his balance. Though he manages not to get burned thanks to the help of his allies, he faceplants hard. He looks back as he struggles back to his feet in a daze. Vix tries not to think about the fact that he's the only one outside the barrier with the rest of the masked maniacs.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6+0 8

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

HP 16/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 1/8 | 0 Boon

"That motherfucker..." The flautist wasn't about to get away with this.

Vix looks to the stairs, then to the dancers, then to the archways. The last look was to set up his illusion, of course; the first look was a nothing but a sloppy telegraph of his actual intentions. The imp's mirror image was stacked over his kneeling form before his actual body went invisible. He tries to gain his footing, but stumbles along the smooth marble floor. The dancers close in. He sprints away, shouting as the swinging chain brushes over the hair on his ears. Vix sprints for the archways.

Well, his double at least. The actual imp was peeking around the corner of the staircase, micromanaging his illusory self until the pre-programmed run away directive kicked in. Those sort of close calls were only for show, as it was the little things that made it convincing. Such touches separated the scrubs from the old dogs. Vix nods smugly as the dancers make chase down the hallway. Idiots. He proceeds up the staircase rapidly, careful not to produce any audible footsteps.

Glamour to Mislead the Dancers: 2d6+2 12
Illusory double leads the enemies away while Vix runs up the staircase to chase after the flautist!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

The imp looks back, frowning. "Fantastic, already lost everyone. Hope they can take care of themselves for a bit." He grumbles. With nobody around, there was no need to try and hide his concern for the others. "And now I'm lost."

Well, there's only one thing to do when you're lost: ask for directions.

Vix sheds his invisibility and leans over the railing. Illusory sound projection did well to transmit his voice without forcing him to yell rudely in a big, echo prone chamber. "Hey, how's it doin'? Up here." He gives them a friendly wave as he gets their attention. Numerous eyes shine back in the reflected moonlight. "Name's Vix. Baron of Belphagor. Sorry to bother ya, but I got something to ask: can someone give me directions out of here? Just trying to herd a bunch of self-righteous nerds out of here and stop 'em from tearing the place up. And also, if any of you seen a guy who looks like this:"

He projects a best-remembered image of the flutist to them. The massive hologram rotates slowly above the crowd.

"Mind letting me know which way he went? Thanks."

Using Fae Tongue to talk to the beasties and try to listen to the whispers while I'm at it.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Oh. Well. That's fantastic, the imp thinks, his polite poker face in full force as the spirits explain who he was speaking to. Could've used that earlier, y'know, before I started talking to these assholes.

"Vix, Baron of the Court of Belphagor." He stands and bows politely to the mass, standing his ground. His tone of voice and demeanor change to something more noble. There isn't the slightest hint of annoyance in restating who he was, though he does note their poor listening skills. "I do not seek contact with your mistress. This is not such a high level matter. I venture this far due to being lost, and I desire directions so that my cohorts and I may leave this place. I mean no harm to you or your kind and simply desire to leave everyone alone."

Sly Words on The Lunari: 2d6+2 8
Trying to mislead them into giving direction and leaving him alone, while he fully intends to go get the others and try to send this dumb rock back to space.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Wonderful! Thank you for your assistance." Vix bows politely, not making the slightest gesture suggesting that he's incredibly uncomfortable with their continued approach. "I'll be on my way to direct the others out of here. Again, I greatly appreciate your help and wish you a pleasant night."

He bows, does a very neat heel-face-turn, and struts off in the opposite direction at a perfectly calm and measured pace. He listens carefully for the sound of rapidly encroaching steps and dares not look back at the crowd. Hopefully they weren't about to follow him back down to the others.

gonna nope the gently caress outta here

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"They're not done yet?" Vix lets out an aggravated groan and pulls his pack around, removing his oversized slingshot and a fist-sized artificial hive. He tries to eyeball the trajectory to get it over the crystallized wall and lets loose, though the first shot falls short. He curses loudly, uncaring that his opponents below him might be alerted; they were going to find him soon anyways. The second shot is corrected enough to make it over the wall at least, and its resident wasps buzz loudly as they vacate their home and swarm on Sah-Tah-Ish's attacker.

Volley at Sah's Attacker: 2d6+0 7
Reducing ammo by 1.
Wasp Launcher Damage: 1d4 1 fuckin lol can't say i didn't try, at least it has the distracting tag on it

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Yeah, I know, I know!" Vix calls back down to Sah-Tah-Ish. He draws a curved dagger from the sheath concealed behind his pack and charges the dancers, deftly springing between them and adopting an en garde stance. "What, think I can't fight?"

He actually can't, and he actually isn't. Why fix something if it's not broken? The actual, invisible Vix retreats to Sah's position as his illusory double continues to talk trash and deftly evade the attacking dancers. "Psssst, that's not me up there." He whispers loudly to the fire mage. "Just blast the pack while I've got them clumped together."

Glamour to distract the attacking dancers: 2d6+2 11

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"I guess now's a good time to take a breather," Vix says. He twirls a finger, spinning up a similar defensive illusion for Sah-Tah-Ish, though her double is carefully overlaid her actual self for now. The imp briefly considers the complications with her last illusory double but does little more than give a defeated shrug. At least those idiots were still busy with action hero Vix. "Whatever. Ready when you are."

Defend Sah-Tah-Ish: 2d6 10 ppfffffttt hahaha nailed it. going to keep standing in defense of her while she attacks these chumps. picking half damage, +1 forward, and 1 damage to the attacker.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Already am, lady." Vix stands there, arms wide in a fighting man's shrug. "Do your thing."

still holding on to the defend action

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Vix lets out an enthusiastic woo as his illusory double of Sah-Tah-Ish breaks away, fooling the dancers.

Of course, his self-satisfaction is short lived as he realizes that his efforts didn't get them much. It was time to actually get into the fray, and for real now. "You suckers want to ignore me now? What, you think I can't do anything?" He dashes up behind the dancer with the staff and kicks it in the back of the knee, throwing it off balance as it swings at Sah. "Well, you'd be mostly right, hah!"

Aid Sah: 2d6+1 11 aiding Sah to give a +1 on that Defy Danger to make it a 7

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Vix looks back to where his last teammate used to be. "What the gently caress!" He shouts. Unfortunately, his hateful protest causes his situational awareness to lapse, and in that time one of the dancers tries to rope him in. The imp dives away, but unfortunately his little legs can only get him so far...

Dex Defy Danger: 2d6 6 welp

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

HP 9/16 | Armor 1 | Load 6/15 | XP 2/8 | 0 Boon

Vix clutches at the rope, cursing as the barbs dig into his neck. The sound of voices turns his panic into frustration immediately, and he throws his hands up disarmingly. "Gods, fine! Fine! I'm summoned, alright? gently caress me," he grimaces. "I'm cooperating, see? Couldn't you have just said something earlier? Ease up."

I'm doing nothing I guess and playing it cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I've been slammed/will be slammed with irl stuff and my ability to write creatively at anything beyond :effort: volume is at a low, so I'm out.

• Locked thread