Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

S'okay, I wasn't really directing that at you but most of the time when people ask that about FBW their follow-up is "Oh okay, Obsidian was the only reason I even played the first". And that's just weird.

As one of those people, it's not that weird.

South Park is probably still hugely popular, but for me and most of my friends we fell off hard way way back in the earlier seasons after we got out of High School. And that was 90% of the people in the original SoT thread, people saying "Yeah South Park is dumb now, but I like Obsidian." or "I haven't watched South Park in ages, but Obsidian makes this interesting enough to grab." style stuff.

Not because Obsidian is the key here, but because the attaching of an actual dev team to the product makes it more interesting. South Park like most to games things has a pretty sordid history.

The loss of Obsidian isn't a defining "eh" factor, but uh.

Having Ubisoft come out and say they are dropping Obsidian because they are too expensive and are doing this inhouse is a bad sign. Obsidian isn't super expensive, so uh.

Having it get delayed 4-5 times, for over a year was a bad sign.

Having zero previews/anything resembling gameplay show up was a bad sign.

It just seemed like Ubisoft was either being forced to do a sequel and was trying to do it as cheap as possible, or something was going on behind the scenes. And despite the fact I imagine Matt and Trey "wrote" most of SoT, it's really easy to go in assuming that without actual writers/editors/gameplay people to tell them they shouldn't do things xyz way were all attached to Obsidian. I knew this was coming and purposefully ignored it until day of, when a friend told me it's actually pretty good. Because I assumed it was going to be a raging trash fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread