Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there any decent way to hook my 3ds up to a TV and play it on a larger screen? My eyes just can't have the small screen of the 3DS XL. Google gives tons of videos with confusing descriptions and links to products that no longer exist. Does anyone play with their 3DS hooked up to a TV, or is it just a gimmick? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Without a 3DS capture card (which is extremely hard to get these days and involves a hardmod you have to send your 3DS to someone else to do) you can't just hook a 3DS up to anything and get video out. You'd be better off emulating if you want 3DS games on a larger screen. Citra is surprisingly compatible for an emulator that's a generation old, it can play most games acceptably as long as you have a decent PC.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is there any decent way to hook my 3ds up to a TV and play it on a larger screen? My eyes just can't have the small screen of the 3DS XL. Google gives tons of videos with confusing descriptions and links to products that no longer exist. Does anyone play with their 3DS hooked up to a TV, or is it just a gimmick? :smith:

There was an aggressive (and expensive) hardware mod that did this but I'm not sure if it's still around. There seems to be a CFW homebrew that allow doing this these days through video streaming -- that should be a gimmick since it would have latency out of the wazzo.

You may want to look into the Citra emulator instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is there any decent way to hook my 3ds up to a TV and play it on a larger screen?

Essentially, no

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Emulation is your best bet

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saoshyant posted:

There was an aggressive (and expensive) hardware mod that did this but I'm not sure if it's still around. There seems to be a CFW homebrew that allow doing this these days through video streaming -- that should be a gimmick since it would have latency out of the wazzo.

You may want to look into the Citra emulator instead.
Honestly I didn't even mention the wifi streaming option because the 3DS really can't handle it. The image quality is crap, it only streams one screen, the framerate is horrible, and there's input latency. It's not usable at all, more of a proof of concept.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
listen even old FF games wouldn’t skip your turn if you tried to attack an enemy that died that round, golden sun DID. that turned me off

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

star eater posted:

listen even old FF games wouldn’t skip your turn if you tried to attack an enemy that died that round, golden sun DID. that turned me off

Old FF games you attacked nothing if your target died.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

star eater posted:

Tell me you haven't played Nintendo FF without...

Could be wrong but i think this might have been true with the GBA I and II as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oscar Wild posted:

Could be wrong but i think this might have been true with the GBA I and II as well.

No, retargetting was in Origins and DOS. FF3 on famicom had it also.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, retargetting was in Origins and DOS. FF3 on famicom had it also.

Its funny how I retained the missing in the original which I think I rented for a weekend versus when I actually completed the game on the advance. I guess that shows what a quality of life thing it is to not have that logic in gameplay.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

FF I and II on GBA was very much worth the play. It’s AD&D! In your pocket!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oscar Wild posted:

I figured the first couple didn't have it but like, ff6 and 7 are OLD now.

specifically, OLDER than GOLDEN SUN

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm playing Super Mario 3d world on switch & nearly to the end, with all the stars and stamps collected so far and just found out I have to go back & beat each level 4 more times (once with each character) just to be able to play all the levels. Is there a cheat or save editor to avoid this? What a nasty idea by nintendo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You don’t need to do that

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

hatty posted:

You don’t need to do that

Explain

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
you just need to find every Green Star, get every Stamp, and reach the top of the flag pole on every level. Beating all the levels with each character just gets you a fifth shiny star on your save slot which while tempting isn't worth playing as Peach with her floaty nonsense jump

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

hatty posted:

you just need to find every Green Star, get every Stamp, and reach the top of the flag pole on every level. Beating all the levels with each character just gets you a fifth shiny star on your save slot which while tempting isn't worth playing as Peach with her floaty nonsense jump
Ok thats better

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo this is great. Got my switch fully hacked and uhh, yeah, I'm sure you can imagine what I'm doing with it. Playing games of course!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You fool! You're supposed to run old versions of Windows!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

hatty posted:

Excuse you peach's floaty nonsense jump solves so many platforming problems and is cool and good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
they shouldn't put the floating action on the same button as jump, its why I avoid Diddy in the newer DKC games and why NSMBU Deluxe was unplayable until someone discovered the cheat code that removed the midair spin from the jump button

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
So I'm an idiot and thought I could upgrade my hacked switch 256GB sd card to 512 by copy and paste. ~7 hours later (tried exfat and fat32 formats) I remembered the emuMMC partition may be a problem. Did some googling but didn't see an easy guide on how to properly transfer it over. Anyone have a good link for one?

The error when booting Atmosphere is "A Fatal error occured when running Fusee" "Invalid GPT signature" "Press POWER to reboot."

Edit: Disregard. Found a guide that looks promising and will give it a shot.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 18, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mierenneuker posted:

You fool! You're supposed to run old versions of Windows!

You're both wrong. You're supposed to use it for the purest act of humanity, posting

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just went through the process of modding my 3DSXL using whatever 4GB SDHC card was in it.

I've just picked up a 32GB card now though.

Is swapping it over just a matter of copying everything from the 4GB card onto the 32GB one on windows or is there some funky poo poo the 3DS will need to do first?

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Kin posted:

I just went through the process of modding my 3DSXL using whatever 4GB SDHC card was in it.

I've just picked up a 32GB card now though.

Is swapping it over just a matter of copying everything from the 4GB card onto the 32GB one on windows or is there some funky poo poo the 3DS will need to do first?

just copying the files will work fine!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Well, i guess i gotta do it. How do i mod a switch but still be able to buy games online?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buy two switches

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

buy two switches

then they'd have three switches ???

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well, i guess i gotta do it. How do i mod a switch but still be able to buy games online?

I have an emummc partition on SD card. I can boot stock OS that can go online and use the eShop or boot atmosphere cfw with wifi disabled (don't want to risk ban).

Yeah it can be a bit annoying switching back and forth but I don't do it enough to warrant buying another switch unless a pro model is released or something. This all assumes you have an unpatched switch for hacking... No idea how the soldered chip mod works.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
How do you move files onto the SD card to use in CFW if you can't FTP in with the wifi disabled? Do you have to turn off the Switch in order to take out the SD card and put it in your PC? I know Atmosphere can use a hosts file to prevent it from phoning home to Nintendo, but you just turn it off entirely?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Don't pirate and you can mod and online on one switch no problem

My hacked switch has been online for years now and i've been happily overclocking, modding Switcher 3 and Bloodstained, and save editing all the while

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

A good poster posted:

How do you move files onto the SD card to use in CFW if you can't FTP in with the wifi disabled? Do you have to turn off the Switch in order to take out the SD card and put it in your PC? I know Atmosphere can use a hosts file to prevent it from phoning home to Nintendo, but you just turn it off entirely?

You can install stuff onto the switch via USB.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just dont ruin anyones splatoon and you're good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Don't pirate and you can mod and online on one switch no problem

My hacked switch has been online for years now and i've been happily overclocking, modding Switcher 3 and Bloodstained, and save editing all the while

There is no point to hacking a console if i cant then play old games on them for free

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
And hell maybe one day ill have good internet and be able to play new games too...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

There is no point to hacking a console if i cant then play old games on them for free

I mean, i never said you can't put emulators on there. All kinds of homebrew are fair game afaik :v: just don't install any switch games you didn't buy

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've heard that even installing something on the Homescreen can get you banned, which is why the homebrew menu replaces the pictures app. Or doing something that would add something weird to the error log.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't put "apps" onto the switch since that goes through their digitally signed ticket system thing and it's very easy to see for Nintendo when you somehow have invalid keys and tickets in your ownership database the moment you go online. Bam, ban.
You have to go out of your way to install additional sig hacks to even make this and other piracy possible, Atmosphere (the CFW) doesn't support it out of the box so there's no way to mess up your tickets database and get banned unless you're specifically asking for it.

Launching the homebrew channel via the CFW built-in redirection (a.k.a. overriding the pictures app or any other game, NOT installing a homebrew launcher app on your home menu) works just fine though, since the console is just loading a completely normal and properly signed application and the CFW just goes "hol' on a sec, let's just go over to THIS code instead...."
So anything you do in the homebrew launcher is safe, unless you use it to cheat in online games or something

edit: i'm p. sure Atmosphere, by default, disables uploading error reports to Nintendo. In fact, i think they completely replaced the error report system module with one they've written themselves from scratch, and back when i bought my switch, i remember waiting for just that feature to be finally complete before i hacked my switch and went online.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm just extra wary because I was in some app, either for editing saves or modding a game or something and pressed A on an option that wasn't clear what it was going to do and then it just added something to my home screen. So I quickly wiped that SD card and started over.