Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Okay thanks for the quick response. Want to get that pink 2DS for her because I don’t trust her with the hinges on my 3DS and prices have been increasing since they ended manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

hadji murad posted:

Okay thanks for the quick response. Want to get that pink 2DS for her because I don’t trust her with the hinges on my 3DS and prices have been increasing since they ended manufacturing.

Nintendo has refurbished units cheap: https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-2ds/nintendo-3ds-systems.html If you want a NA one.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That is cheap! Not sure if they’d ship it to Japan. Nintendo is sensitive with their regions.

E: Nintendo doesn’t sell refurbs here :(

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 22, 2020

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Can't you find mind condition 3DSes by the paletteful in a Hard Off?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So like, connecting my 3DS to the eshop would be a bad idea right?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

mandatory lesbian posted:

If you're ever unsure, don't do it. It's probably ok but :shrug:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

I thought it was perfectly safe but I've never done it since hacking mine.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It used to be alright, I think I downloaded some official updates for games I actually owned and connected to the pokemon/pokemon bank servers several times, don't know if anything's changed since

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've had updates, game purchases, official servers, and in-game dlc purchases across three modded consoles without issue. Even while having digital copies of non-digital games.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://twitter.com/m4xwdev/status/1308887192379568134

Need your own assets

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to hack my Switch I don’t feel comfortable risking it with the amount of poo poo I have. I’ll do it whenever a “Switch Pro” comes out and I move all my poo poo to there.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to hack my Switch I don’t feel comfortable risking it with the amount of poo poo I have. I’ll do it whenever a “Switch Pro” comes out and I move all my poo poo to there.

Same here buddy. I don't want to pay 500 bux for a switch unless its an upgrade.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
There's no risk with emummc and easy nand restoration

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Muk Dumpster posted:

There's no risk with emummc and easy nand restoration

Is there really? Nintendo could just start doing random ban waves like on 3DS.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I've bought games since hacking my 2ds but I also don't care if they ban mine. Not playing online and I'd just stop buying games then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nail Rat posted:

I've bought games since hacking my 2ds but I also don't care if they ban mine. Not playing online and I'd just stop buying games then.

I don’t care about mine either but it’s still unbanned somehow. I’ve purchased way more software on Switch and regularly play online so it would be devastating.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there really? Nintendo could just start doing random ban waves like on 3DS.

Keep your sysnand clean and homebrew on emummc or vice versa

They don't ban for homebrew, only piracy or if you install homebrew as a title rather than using the hbmenu

And if you brick and have a nand backup its super easy to restore, ive bricked so many times

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What are you doing that you "brick so many times" anyways? NAND restoration is great and all, but I've never had to use it on any system I've homebrewed.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Having fun, obviously

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Muk Dumpster posted:

Keep your sysnand clean and homebrew on emummc or vice versa

They don't ban for homebrew, only piracy or if you install homebrew as a title rather than using the hbmenu

And if you brick and have a nand backup its super easy to restore, ive bricked so many times

Ah, so i probably shouldnt have used so many .cia files huh

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Ah, so i probably shouldnt have used so many .cia files huh

Im meaning for Switch, but heard theyre pretty lax about 3ds

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This is incredibly niche, but if anyone's gonna make use of it, it's probably people who'd check this thread.

Since i got Rune Factory 4 Special, i've spent the past weeks dissecting the save file format for Rune Factory 4 for the 3DS, which i also own and played in the past, in an effort to port my 3DS save file to the Switch version.
And i've finally got it in a working state now.

So in the unlikely case that you:
  1. have a hacked 3DS
  2. have a hacked Switch
  3. own both Rune Factory 4 and Rune Factory 4 Special
  4. AND want to transfer your save from the 3DS to the Switch version
then i have great news for you (lol)

I'm not a programmer or i would have just whipped up a small tool to do the conversion. Instead i used a general-purpose file format / archive / reverse engineering tool by someone else (QuickBMS) and wrote a script for that: https://pastebin.com/uNNGqtpv

So:
1. Download QuickBMS
2. Download the script from pastebin and save it as .txt somewhere
3. Get the 3DS save file you want to convert (rf4a/rf4b/rf4c)
4. Start QuickBMS
5. It asks you for a script, open the one you downloaded
6. It asks you for a file, open the save file you want to convert
7. Tell the program where to save the converted file

Then rename the resulting file so it fits into one of your 20 save slots on the Switch and import it there with the homebrew of your choice. You should overwrite an existing save slot, so the game knows there's something in that slot you can load.

I hope this might be useful for anyone besides myself.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

I’ve just bought a New 3ds. It’s on 11.9 firmware. Is there any benefits to installing cfw from there or is it fine to update to the latest and then do from there?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just follow the guide, the guide knows all

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
HenryEx, that is super impressive.

I had started over in RF4 special and just beat the 3rd arc yesterday. Never could get it to trigger on 3ds. Still think I'll give that a try since my old save was pretty different.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Very specific question for you guys, not sure if anyone else has run into this problem.

I converted a bunch of PS1 games to PBP format, including like 15 multi disc games (big RPGs, etc) so I could play them on 3ds via retroarch. I played through the first one the other day (MGS1) but as soon as I switched to disc 2 the save system got hosed up. I was able to play through the rest of the game totally fine, but every time I tried to save, whether normally or through save states, retroarch just hard crashed. I had to keep the emulator open for the rest of the game and just close my 3ds whenever I stopped, which worked for the 3-4 remaining hours for MGS but I imagine would be a huge rear end pain for some big RPG where you have 25 hours left when you get to disc 2.

After I did some research, I found that this problem might be caused by the way I created the PBPs? Like, I created all of them as single PBPs containing all the discs, which works fine for emulation itself, but seems to have issues with saving. Apparently the better approach would have been to create separate per-disc PBPs, then create a .m3u file to like show the emulator that the discs are connected, or something like that. Am I hosed if I want to play the multi disc games now? Do I have to delete all the PBPs for them and remake them in that multi-PBP format? Or is there some way to get around it with a single PBP?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

wocobob posted:

Very specific question for you guys, not sure if anyone else has run into this problem.

I converted a bunch of PS1 games to PBP format, including like 15 multi disc games (big RPGs, etc) so I could play them on 3ds via retroarch. I played through the first one the other day (MGS1) but as soon as I switched to disc 2 the save system got hosed up. I was able to play through the rest of the game totally fine, but every time I tried to save, whether normally or through save states, retroarch just hard crashed. I had to keep the emulator open for the rest of the game and just close my 3ds whenever I stopped, which worked for the 3-4 remaining hours for MGS but I imagine would be a huge rear end pain for some big RPG where you have 25 hours left when you get to disc 2.

After I did some research, I found that this problem might be caused by the way I created the PBPs? Like, I created all of them as single PBPs containing all the discs, which works fine for emulation itself, but seems to have issues with saving. Apparently the better approach would have been to create separate per-disc PBPs, then create a .m3u file to like show the emulator that the discs are connected, or something like that. Am I hosed if I want to play the multi disc games now? Do I have to delete all the PBPs for them and remake them in that multi-PBP format? Or is there some way to get around it with a single PBP?

I can't help you, but how is PS1 emulation on 3DS these days?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Curious about that too considering it's not really a thing yet on the much more powerful Wii U.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Extremely good actually! Not always at 100% speed, especially the 3D games, but 2D games run wonderfully, and 3D ones run pretty well. I played all the way through MGS with no bugs other than the save thing, with consistent FPS of probably 50+ during gameplay. The only issue was that the cutscene audio chugged sometimes, but that's a pretty minor tradeoff to make.

Edit: a couple other quick notes:

1. GBAtemp has a pretty good compatibility list here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/pcsx-rearmed-compatibility-list.489357/

2. I'm not sure about the old/new 3ds performance difference, but I know that there absolutely is one. It's possible that the full-ish speed for 3D games is only possible on New 3DS.

wocobob fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 1, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Which core are you using for psx? Have you tried any other ones?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why does it not work on Wii U Retroarch but it does on 3DS?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Curious about that too considering it's not really a thing yet on the much more powerful Wii U.

Overclocked wiisx worked pretty good for me

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

I assume there are more developers contributing to the 3DS codebase, since it way, way more popular than WiiU.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

ReARMed is specifically written to run on ARM processors (hence the name)

The Wii U runs on PowerPC so it would need a totally different JIT, and I doubt there's much developer interest there given PPC is totally defunct in consumer devices now

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

RandomFerret posted:

Which core are you using for psx? Have you tried any other ones?

PCSX Rearmed, I think that's the only one available on 3DS as far as I know.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Muk Dumpster posted:

Overclocked wiisx worked pretty good for me

Do Symphony of the Night and the Mega Man Legends games run well?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do Symphony of the Night and the Mega Man Legends games run well?

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSX_compatibility_list_(beta_2)

I'm assuming this list isn't including overclocking

Need to copy and paste, dunno why the beta part isn't hyperlinked

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How about for 3DS?

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

SeANMcBAY posted:

How about for 3DS?

Haven't played either of them myself, but according to the compatibility list I posted above, SOTN runs great (60fps) and MML1 (the only one listed there) runs at 55+ fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I posted a few pages ago about how easy SX OS was to use and set up when I had first hacked my Switch many moons ago. It's entirely the other way around now. Atmosphere has Nyx which gives it a nice and easy UI, it supports emuMMC, and using both http://sdsetup.com/ and https://switch.homebrew.guide/, the whole thing was relatively painless to re-hack my now-old Switch.

One of the few things I didn't mesh with well before was how the homebrew.guide has a similar style to the hacks.guide sites, but the way it flows is different. I just started at the fusee-galee part, then it went through the steps. Entirely painless. Only snafu I had was not remembering the emuMMC takes up 30GB of space I can't mess with via a computer, so I couldn't do much of anything with my 32GB microSD.