Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Speaking of SX OS..

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-members-notorious-videogame-piracy-group-team-xecuter-custody

Each defendant is charged with 11 felony counts, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to circumvent technological measures and to traffic in circumvention devices, trafficking in circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Muk Dumpster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

Gary Bowser, 51, a Canadian national of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

This is canon now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jesus. I feel bad for them, they’re going to do hard time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mario was actually saying “So Long, Gary Bowser”

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What's amazing is that the FBI is still able to make arrests abroad and extradite people.

I have no love for TX so this is mostly amusing. They were the most brazen of all the Nintendo hacking groups.

I suppose the SX chips are a damage here as they're the only way to run homebrew on the majority of Switches now, but the open source guys (SciresM, hexkyz) have a pretty dim view of them anyways.

Edit:

Muk Dumpster posted:

conspiracy to circumvent technological measures and to traffic in circumvention devices, trafficking in circumvention devices,
So this is the stuff that's legitimately concerning. The anticircumvention provisions of the DMCA that criminalize this applies to the very things that "just" let you run homebrew--they don't have to directly facilitate piracy, although it's easy to charge TX since they heavily blur the lines between the two.

There used to be a DMCA anticircumvention exception for obsolete consoles but it wasn't renewed in 2010 and hasn't been since.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 2, 2020

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
That's the difference, atmosphere is software only, free and open source

SX OS had it's modchip option, cost money, and used Nintendo's code for its XCI loading

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mario was actually saying “So Long, Gary Bowser”

:drat:

Lmao at all the shills going "don't you see this means they're GOING FOR ATMOSPHERE NEXT" ignoring the reality that the atmosphere team is not, in fact, a company selling hardware for a profit that enables piracy and deals financial damage to Nintendo's customer for their own gain

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Gary Bowser is Doug Bowser's real life Bowser

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

HenryEx posted:

Lmao at all the shills going "don't you see this means they're GOING FOR ATMOSPHERE NEXT" ignoring the reality that the atmosphere team is not, in fact, a company selling hardware for a profit that enables piracy and deals financial damage to Nintendo's customer for their own gain

No but what's the real difference between SX and krizz/Terraonion who sell hardware too? The latter focus on retro systems which simply aren't profitable and worth going after, but I'm not sure there's much otherwise.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Flashcarts can be used to play your own backups and are advertised as such, TX was piracy first

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You could also write your own software to compile into a rom and run on a flash cart which is why so many of them are marketed as being for home brew only

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Sure, but the DMCA still criminalizes distribution of anticircumvention devices even where the use is non-infringing. If we didn't have software methods for homebrew on the 3DS and old Switches, we'd be reliant on the kinds of products TX produced to run homebrew at all.

I agree that TX's blatant piracy focus isn't helping them here.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure flashcards have always been a problem, but other companies take measures to make sure they can ignore C&Ds or whatever else it may be that they get. TX was, allegedly, doing a slew of other things that made it worse for them alongside just being dumb and cocky about it.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Iike i said they used Nintendo's actual code in SX OS, they weren't being careful at all

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they couldn't program around / break the actual loading mechanism for loading game cart images (this is also why there's no "free" solution for loading game cart images) so they just ripped out the relevant code part that does it from the Nintendo OS almost wholesale, and hardcoded the cryptokey necessary for it into that, which is a big no-no. Crypto keys are like, intellectual property of Nintendo, so they actually just straight up stole Nintendo property and resold it as (part of) their own product.

It was p. dumb

edit: the hubbub about keys is why you sometimes have to "solve a math question" first for some homebrew tool that decrypts things, or have to "find a list on google" to make others work, it's illegal to distribute keys and probably but maybe not to "derive it" at run time from something that isn't part of the program.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 2, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/reggie/status/1312198347684364288?s=21

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nintendo homebrew thread: So long, Gary Bowser

(As if any mod cared about this thread enough to change the title since Halloween two years ago)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RandomFerret posted:

Nintendo homebrew thread: So long, Gary Bowser

(As if any mod cared about this thread enough to change the title since Halloween two years ago)

I Pmed Videogames, so we’ll see

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

LODGE NORTH posted:

I posted a few pages ago about how easy SX OS was to use and set up when I had first hacked my Switch many moons ago. It's entirely the other way around now. Atmosphere has Nyx which gives it a nice and easy UI, it supports emuMMC, and using both http://sdsetup.com/ and https://switch.homebrew.guide/, the whole thing was relatively painless to re-hack my now-old Switch.

One of the few things I didn't mesh with well before was how the homebrew.guide has a similar style to the hacks.guide sites, but the way it flows is different. I just started at the fusee-galee part, then it went through the steps. Entirely painless. Only snafu I had was not remembering the emuMMC takes up 30GB of space I can't mess with via a computer, so I couldn't do much of anything with my 32GB microSD.

I haven't touched my hacked switch in a while, it was done before emuNAND was a thing, I may have used it inbetween and I don't know about the state of my fuses compared to system updates, and like, I have an old NAND backup but I don't think it worked when I tried to restore it, haven't tried again for a while since I got a job and like, paid for a lot more games. I largely want to use it for modded games now, do you have PMs? Would like to ask some questions because I've forgotten like most of the stuff I need to do, and anxious even about touching it again, don't want to lose a couple of important things on it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LODGE NORTH posted:

Only snafu I had was not remembering the emuMMC takes up 30GB of space I can't mess with via a computer, so I couldn't do much of anything with my 32GB microSD.

I believe (although I haven't played with it) that if you use the "directory based emuMMC" option, it'll leave it in a format your computer can futz with if you so desire (and if it's not using all of that 32GB, leave enough usable space for the rest of atmosphere etc)

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I believe (although I haven't played with it) that if you use the "directory based emuMMC" option, it'll leave it in a format your computer can futz with if you so desire (and if it's not using all of that 32GB, leave enough usable space for the rest of atmosphere etc)

Yeah, I probably could have done that to make matters easier, but I vaguely remember some paranoia about something that made the hidden partition the way to go. That and the guide seemingly just sets you up as if you’ve already decided to do the partition etc.

MatchaZed posted:

I haven't touched my hacked switch in a while, it was done before emuNAND was a thing, I may have used it inbetween and I don't know about the state of my fuses compared to system updates, and like, I have an old NAND backup but I don't think it worked when I tried to restore it, haven't tried again for a while since I got a job and like, paid for a lot more games. I largely want to use it for modded games now, do you have PMs? Would like to ask some questions because I've forgotten like most of the stuff I need to do, and anxious even about touching it again, don't want to lose a couple of important things on it.

And yeah, sure! It is pretty easy though, I do wanna say. Using SD Setup, download the recommended package, plop on SD card, then just push the payload you download. All the other stuff is EmuMMC and backing up your NAND files in case you brick. The actual hacking part takes seconds.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 4, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HenryEx posted:

Yeah they couldn't program around / break the actual loading mechanism for loading game cart images (this is also why there's no "free" solution for loading game cart images) so they just ripped out the relevant code part that does it from the Nintendo OS almost wholesale, and hardcoded the cryptokey necessary for it into that, which is a big no-no. Crypto keys are like, intellectual property of Nintendo, so they actually just straight up stole Nintendo property and resold it as (part of) their own product.

The rest of it was wholesale ripped off from atmosphere and other oss projects anyway, they didn't invent poo poo. They just packed it up in a janky but easier to deal with UI and then had the absolute audacity to charge $20 a pop for it. Their entire strategy must have been "don't get caught, ever" which, i've been told, usually doesn't work out.

The homebrew community's better without them, except I hope someone reverse engineers that modchip. What sucks is that whatever ruling comes out of this will probably be used as precedent for even shittier behavior from the justice department, but whatever acab burn it all down anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the Switch Bluetooth NES and SNES controllers on Retroarch on Wii U?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the Switch Bluetooth NES and SNES controllers on Retroarch on Wii U?

No but actually yes. My understanding is that Wii U is technically bluetooth but uses some hacked up verison of it that stops just about everything from playing nice with it, but HID to VPAD allows literally anything that you can use on a computer to broadcast over a network connection to the wii u, probably strongly recommends a wired connection though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

No but actually yes. My understanding is that Wii U is technically bluetooth but uses some hacked up verison of it that stops just about everything from playing nice with it, but HID to VPAD allows literally anything that you can use on a computer to broadcast over a network connection to the wii u, probably strongly recommends a wired connection though

Thanks. So the SNES controller should work with usb? I'm fine with that. The other method sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I Pmed Videogames, so we’ll see

Ha! Thanks VideoGames!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll miss one of my embarrassing posts having a thread title but that is great.:lol:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What is currently the general favorite offline PS4 exploit? I keep mine running 24/7 on my home PC server, but it apparently is really out of date and the github page shows no recent updates. Google is failing me with this for some reason.

HenryEx posted:

It was p. dumb

edit: the hubbub about keys is why you sometimes have to "solve a math question" first for some homebrew tool that decrypts things, or have to "find a list on google" to make others work, it's illegal to distribute keys and probably but maybe not to "derive it" at run time from something that isn't part of the program.

Legit question but how is that different than the PS3 firmwares that include Sony's key (I recall some pretty funny story about how badly Sony hosed up in regards to that but I'm not smart enough to understand it) or even something like MakeMKV or SlySoft AnyDVD that decrypts Blu-ray and DVD discs?

I have a weird obsession with preserving video games and this kind of worries me a bit about the future of being able to permanently-store digital-only releases.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I have a weird obsession with preserving video games and this kind of worries me a bit about the future of being able to permanently-store digital-only releases.

Yeah, about that, you may want to drop that concern. I know I had to.

This past year alone, I lost four different F2P games I played with no chance of them being recovered in any meaningful way. And you'd say, "four? this guy plays way too many F2P games". No, I don't. It was 4 out of 6. First Pokemon Duel, a super fun board game that even supported itself with a monthly subscription. Gone. Then Revolve8, an addictive clone of Clash of Clans with mythological/fable-based characters. Then Sega Heroes, a match 3 game that I was kinda "eh" about it, but I liked it enough and now it's gone. Then another Pokemon game, Rumble Rush, which wasn't even a year old before it shutdown. All of these and more are unrecoverable because they relied on the entire game logic being server-side and thus a constant online connection being required.

"So what? That's the F2P life" A lot of recent, paid for games are going this way, especially if their continual existence relies on microtransactions, things like Rocket League (which wasn't F2P until this month). The moment they are shut down, they are shut down. Sometimes, a community breakthrough manages to rescue one or two of them, but most will be gone.

Then you have the recent mobile purge, where every 32 bit game that wasn't updated to 64 bit has been basically lost. Then flash-based games, millions of them, lost as the technology was phased from everything. Then old Windows games with some form of DRM that is not compatible with anything today. And now Denuvo, supposedly winning the battle from being cracked and publishers forgetting to remove it after a couple of years, making the games unplayable in the future.

Even currently with disc-based games, which are also being phased out, many times you get something that is broken on release and requires a day-one patch that will in the future be gone as the respective services shut down.

As things become more and more online/cloud based, as GamePass and streaming services become more prominent and thus games turn into complete black boxes, they become impossible to mod or preserve. I say, gently caress it. Life's too short and there's been decades of games that will be forever preserved, so to hell with the rest.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 7, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I know there will always be a portion of games that will never be around forever. I'm very lucky in that I do not care about mobile gaming or online gaming at all. I've literally never played a game online other than Smash Ultimate with my friends. I don't like playing games online with people I don't know, because it's the same to me as playing a CPU, especially since I hate voice chat.

Saoshyant posted:

Even currently with disc-based games, which are also being phased out, many times you get something that is broken on release and requires a day-one patch that will in the future be gone as the respective services shut down.

Yeah that's why I am also a bit obsessed with backing up updates as well. On the 3DS the updates are CIA files and on Sony systems the updates are PKG files. So it's doable.

I know it's a fruitless endeavor but I'll take preserving 85% of games over 0%. I guess my mindset is that I'm still playing games from 30 years ago, so who's to say I won't want to play Double Dragon Neon in 30 years from now. It's probably a hoarder mentality but hard drives are cheap and don't take up much room. If I was born 20 years earlier I probably would have been crushed to death by stacks of newspapers from the 50s.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If there's already a PS4 question hanging around, might as well ask this too: What exactly would I need to dump and decrypt a PS4 game's assets? The actual executable as well as game patches would be nice too but the base on-disc assets alone are more than enough. I've tried searching around for this but the results have been rather inconclusive. I assume I need a PS4 console with CFW at the very least, or is there a way to read and decrypt them with a PC blu-ray drive? It also seems like the games are encrypted for whatever is the highest firmware version at time of the game's disc finalization, so I can't decrypt anything released after the latest CFW? Or is that only relevant for the game's executable?

To be clear, I'm not looking for a way to actually run a game with decrypted/modified assets or anything like that, I just want to be able to look through the game assets on PC and dump textures, dump scripts, dump audio, stuff like that.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 7, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Its been a while since I’ve done it but I think you can extract PKGs from a homebrewed PS4 and dig into them with some tool. A quick google search tells me you want PS4 PKG Viewer? I know I’ve made a ton of PKGs from disks I own and dug into the Yakuza ones to extract music before those games hit PC.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If there's already a PS4 question hanging around, might as well ask this too: What exactly would I need to dump and decrypt a PS4 game's assets? The actual executable as well as game patches would be nice too but the base on-disc assets alone are more than enough. I've tried searching around for this but the results have been rather inconclusive. I assume I need a PS4 console with CFW at the very least, or is there a way to read and decrypt them with a PC blu-ray drive? It also seems like the games are encrypted for whatever is the highest firmware version at time of the game's disc finalization, so I can't decrypt anything released after the latest CFW? Or is that only relevant for the game's executable?

To be clear, I'm not looking for a way to actually run a game with decrypted/modified assets or anything like that, I just want to be able to look through the game assets on PC and dump textures, dump scripts, dump audio, stuff like that.

There's no such thing as CFW on the PS4 (yet). You need to be on firmware 6.72 or lower. You can then jailbreak the PS4 (this needs to be done every time you reboot the system). Then you can take your disk, and use a homebrew app to convert it to a PKG, and then view the contents of the PKG.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Legit question but how is that different than the PS3 firmwares that include Sony's key (I recall some pretty funny story about how badly Sony hosed up in regards to that but I'm not smart enough to understand it) or even something like MakeMKV or SlySoft AnyDVD that decrypts Blu-ray and DVD discs?
What Henry said is not accurate, at least not in the US. Crypto keys are not eligible for copyright protection as they are literally random numbers and do not consist of artistic work. Crypto engines may be eligible for patent protection but we're either reaching or past the 20 year mark where any applicable patents on common methods have expired.

However, the DMCA's anti-circumvention clause (I mentioned this earlier in the thread) criminalizes trafficking of DRM circumvention devices even where their use is otherwise non-infringing. It's not totally clear exactly how this applies to software-based methods, but I suspect there's no real lawful difference between purpose-specific circumvention software that requires you to insert your own key, and the same software that includes such key.

As part of the DMCA, the Librarian of Congress has the authority to grant exemptions of the anti-circumvention clause for specific purposes to certain groups--for example, they've routinely exempted the use of DVD/Blu-Ray decryption tools to film students to engage in fair use of copyrighted film content as part of their coursework--that kind of thing. Apparently though, the tools themselves are still unlawful to distribute. So why hasn't SlySoft been busted repeatedly? Honestly it comes down to nobody caring--physical media is largely done and to the extent anyone cares to prosecute pirates it still makes sense to go after them for infringement than it does for trafficking of tools that are trivial to for anyone to acquire anyways.

For some time there was also an exemption to circumvent DRM on physical media for obsolete video game consoles, although that's no longer in place. Again, I think that's really more a matter of "nobody cares" (except maybe Nintendo) rather than a societal change that's somehow made circumvention of retro console DRM a significant issue.

Basically the DMCA is screwed up. It's always been screwed up, but there's some "good" parts like the safe harbor clause which is pretty much why YouTube exists.

That's actually a useful obsession.

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, about that, you may want to drop that concern. I know I had to.
Game preservation is a really difficult problem from all aspects. However, while some things (preserving F2P experiences) may be outside the ability of any one person, that doesn't invalidate the efforts of what they can do.

Personally I've backed up all the game media that I own, that I have the capability to backup. It's useful to have down the road for emulators or flash carts/ODEs. Sure you can effectively download all of this stuff anyways, but since these are things I've spent money to purchase I want to make my own backups and not be reliant on anyone else to do it for me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That's really interesting info. Thanks for writing it all out!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey a bunch of people used wireshark to sniff out how wii multiplayer worked and wrote their own server

Anything is possible if a group of people want it enough

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
E: solved using my PC instead of my Mac.

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 10, 2020

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's been a lot of to and fro regarding "just numbers" cryptokeys and our judicial systems are woefully slow to adapt to technological advances (and it doesn't help that many people who have the last say in tech matters still remember using punch cards). But the main reason i mentioned that as a big no no is because openly posting the PlayStation crypto key on his website is what got PS-hacker geohot into an actual big lawsuit with Sony, and why people usually try so carefully to sail around their distribution.

In further exploit news, turns out that the problem that led to fusee/shofel2 (the exploit used to take over RCM on old switches) has been found on a different USB stack. I'm not familiar with the details, but people who are say that this exploit method could apply to even more consumer electronics than people thought.

Also, it means that people used that same bug to exploit the Team Xecuter modchip to dump the DRMed firmware, and the fact that they got their code stolen via the same exploit that they used to hack Switches is just :discourse:

https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1314230672844701696

edit: thanks to the dump another flaw in their firmware update mechanism was found, which means you can just flash your own code onto the modchip. We might see atmosphere on a Switch Lite soon.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 11, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does that mean Lite and Red Box switches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

HenryEx posted:

But the main reason i mentioned that as a big no no is because openly posting the PlayStation crypto key on his website is what got PS-hacker geohot into an actual big lawsuit with Sony, and why people usually try so carefully to sail around their distribution.
Yeah, that's fair. Even if it is lawful, since it's one of those things that "probably should be illegal" it's an invitation to a lawsuit right or wrong.

HenryEx posted:

Also, it means that people used that same bug to exploit the Team Xecuter modchip to dump the DRMed firmware, and the fact that they got their code stolen via the same exploit that they used to hack Switches is just :discourse:
That's amazing.

Also amazing is the XOR memcmp that hexkyz retweeted.