Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mierenneuker posted:

The built-in microSD management tool for the New *DS officially only supports Windows 7 and 8.1. I heard it was slow as poo poo any way.

It worked well enough for me on Win 10 until earlier this year. Don't know how fast it was, but it was faster than running ftp on my Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

flavor.flv posted:

FileZilla is definitely the best client for Macs, though. Sometimes I even use it to move files to sd cards because it doesn't include those stupid ._junk files

Thanks for this. I used cyberduck and I can’t stand seeing all the junk files on my 3DS SD.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Yeah, I was able to get my FTP up and running and do my save edits no issue 🎉

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mierenneuker posted:

The built-in microSD management tool for the New *DS officially only supports Windows 7 and 8.1. I heard it was slow as poo poo any way.

It uses Samba which newer versions of Windows default to having disabled, and will randomly re-disable it if you go in and turn it back on.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 11, 2022

krissgjeng
May 2, 2012

RichterIX posted:

It uses Samba which newer versions of Windows default to having disabled, and will randomly re-disable it if you go in and turn it back on.

More specifically it uses smbv1 which is deprecated because it is insecure and is replaced by smbv2 and v3.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this thread is mostly Nintendo focused, but since the Xbox live service shut down for 360, I’ve discovered that DLC that I’ve bought on 360 is just ~gone~, which sucks big time.

What’s the current best way to un-gently caress my 360 and get my games/dlc back? Is there a way to spoof the life service? Because some games straight up won’t work if they can’t connect to live.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the Xbox live service shut down for 360, I’ve discovered that DLC that I’ve bought on 360 is just ~gone~, which sucks big time.

Wait, when did this happen? I would think it would cause a ton of people online to be furious about it and complain about it on Reddit, plus a bunch of Kotaku articles on the subject which would get even more people talking. Nada? This is the first time I'm hearing about it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s the current best way to un-gently caress my 360 and get my games/dlc back? Is there a way to spoof the life service? Because some games straight up won’t work if they can’t connect to live.

JTag hacks should allow you to install anything, but anything that required an online connection shouldn't work until someone figures out how to spoof the service (if at all possible).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It looks like the Games With Gold program is going to drop 360 games in October, but I can't find anything on Xbox Live dropping 360 support with an admittedly quick Googling.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, yeah. Are you sure it's not just the WiFi/Ethernet not working properly on your console, Jim SB?

Edit: I even bothered to check ResetEra. Page 1 of that forum, someone made a thread this week happy they can still play Destiny 1 on the Xbox 360 (and PS3). False alarm.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 24, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m able to access my Ninja Gaiden 2 DLC on my Series X. Did they just drop support for the original system?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Unless it's rockband DLC or something

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, maybe it’s my console. An old COD didn’t want to download its DLC and worms was complaining that it couldn’t talk to live.

My internet in general was up at the time, so I’ll try again I guess.

I assumed it was shut down

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I want to play Wiiware and some Wii games and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to do homebrew on the Wii or the Wii U. I'm not necessarily interested in playing Wii U games and don't remember if it had eshop exclusives like the Wii did... but also if there's no huge sacrifices then I might as well go with the Wii U. I'm not interested in playing Gamecube games, because I own a modded Gamecube already.

Is the homebrew experience better on either one of the consoles? Or does the Wii U use the same homebrew available for the Wii? It seems like there are pluses and minuses to both. Wii U seems a bit more expensive, but then I wouldn't have to worry about needing a scaler and a $30 component cable. Does the Wii U gamepad work with Wiiware games?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I've not tried the Wii U but the Wii was piss-easy to put homebrew on and a very good experience overall.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You can still just Smash Stack the vWii on a WiiU, so it's equally braindead. Perk of the WiiU is the new Tiramisu homebrew stuff. It's been on my list to do for a bit, but apparently it's pretty straightforward.

Though, I will admit that it amuses me that it has you take a NAND backup when you need a dang NAND chip flasher to restore it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 31, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I believe you get slightly better image quality on a Wii vs. vWii on a Wii U so might as well do it in that if you have it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The image quality thing is also contingent on having a good way of getting your Wii’s output to your modern equipment, so that may be a point for the Wii U, it just has HDMI right out of the box.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah depends on what you’re connecting to. Wii U may be better for modern displays while Wii may be better for CRTs. It also supports 240p while Wii U does not.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
im freshly off of homebrewing my wii u and it was extremely simple. plus getting ftpiiu set up is trivial so i don't even need to futz with the sd card anymore

the main roadblock i would say is that the wii u needs any usb drive connected to it to be formatted in a proprietary way, that vwii won't recognize. so functionally you need two external hard drives, one for wii u use and one for vwii use (and i mean need, the internal storage of the wii u is so abysmal that its big ticket games won't fit on it + its read/write speed to sd is awful). i'm currently running with a 1tb external for wii u and a 64 gb thumb drive for wii/gamecube. thumb drives are apparently really sketchy and will spontaneously stop working but i couldn't find a second external that was a price i wanted to pay to be hooked up over usb 2.0 to a 10 year old console lol

also wrt video quality, the wii u's internal upscaler is pretty bad but here's a guide on disabling it so you can use your tv or another upscaler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0656gQwqRc

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Thanks for replies :thumbsup:

Ketchupface posted:

the main roadblock i would say is that the wii u needs any usb drive connected to it to be formatted in a proprietary way, that vwii won't recognize. so functionally you need two external hard drives

This definitely seems like a deal breaker especially since I was leaning towards the Wii anyways. Also kind of don't want to deal with used and scratched up Wii U gamepads and I probably would never use that as a handheld. I want to try to get a Pixel FX Morph when they release them for my 3DO and a PS2 and the Wii would be another thing to justify that purchase.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is it doable to transfer games from my Switch to play on PC? Got a launch console. I'm kinda getting sick of Switch performance.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I haven't used it recently, but there's nxdumptool that you can use to dump cartridges or installed games as NSPs which you can then use in a PC on a Switch emulator.

If it's an indie game I might just wait to pick up a PC native version though during a sale.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
You can even move saves between a hackable switch and a PC emulator.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just hacked my Wii U and am testing out the backup functionality.

Its pretty funny Nintendo threw in SD card functionality for no other reason than to facilitate homebrew injections.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

coconono posted:

just hacked my Wii U and am testing out the backup functionality.

Its pretty funny Nintendo threw in SD card functionality for no other reason than to facilitate homebrew injections.

"The Wii needed a sd card for virtual console games and wiiware, gotta have one for the vWii I guess"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
For 3DS, are there any advantages to owning a flashcart on top of homebrew? 🤔

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think for a small number of OG DS games it improves compatibility but I’m not sure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wizard2 posted:

For 3DS, are there any advantages to owning a flashcart on top of homebrew? 🤔

If you mean an og DS flashcart, I like it because it keeps them all in the same place, and I can move them between different DSs. If you mean a flash cart for 3DS games, I think all of those lead to you getting banned eventually.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, a DS/DSi flashcard has its uses for running original DS games and homebrew without an emulation layer, but a 3DS flashcard is completely useless these days.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The compability list for nds-bootstrap (used in TWiLight Menu++ for 3DS) is looking good these days. I looked at it a couple months ago and it only had a couple of outliers, the most noticable one was the DS Golden Sun game.

I've read that the sav(e) files are also no different than the ones from cartridge dumps, so maybe it is possible to transfer them to a flashcard if the game starts showing issues?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 7, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah, a DS/DSi flashcard has its uses for running original DS games and homebrew without an emulation layer, but a 3DS flashcard is completely useless these days.

I guess if you run out of sd card space itd be nice? Uh if you somehow have like...100 3ds roms

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I need to try TwilightMenu again. Last time I tried it it wouldn't run Infinite Space even though it was listed as compatible. That was last year though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Don’t play golden sun ds.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
don't play golden sun. the series was never good

"golden sun? Yeah it was kind of mid"

"I heard someone say Golden Sun was mediocre! I wholeheartedly agree!"

"I don't really care for Golden Sun"

and then 3 more bad puzzles and another five minutes of contentless dialogue boxes

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Isn’t that the game about hunting vampires using a sunlight sensor in your game cartridge?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Isn’t that the game about hunting vampires using a sunlight sensor in your game cartridge?

No, that's Boktai. Boktai is good, Golden Sun is not. That's the trick to telling them apart.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh, thanks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Golden Sun is fine. It’s not great but I don’t think it deserves the reputation goons give it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That's the worst you'll ever hear about Golden Sun. It's fine. Not great, fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The first Golden Sun kicked rear end at the time. The second game was good but didn't maintain the momentum. I actually have a copy of DS but haven't played it.