Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't used it recently, but there's nxdumptool that you can use to dump cartridges or installed games as NSPs which you can then use in a PC on a Switch emulator.

I have an unhackable switch, can I still use this program?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No you need a hacked Switch to run homebrew.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Commander Keene posted:

No you need a hacked Switch to run homebrew.

Oh. Thanks for letting me know.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Now that I have the new fancy oled switch I can go to town on my old one without fear of being without a switch if I break it. Anyone have recommendations for jigs and whatnot I can use to get things started?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My clumsy hands never managed it but there's an incredibly circuitous software exploit that doesn't even need the jigs if you have a 1.0 Switch.

Though that may also require being on a 1.0 firmware; I can't recall. (I bought a spare Switch early 'cause I figured the hackability situation would play out like it did. I also have an unused copy of Pokken Tournament DX because of temporary hacking concerns. And the Japanese version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, initially for those reasons but that one still sees use.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Using a jig isn't that big of a deal. You can buy them on amazon and it slots into the controller rail. When you want to get into home brew, slide the jig down, hold whatever system button it is that you hold down and turn the switch on.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Don't you still have the inject the payload once you boot into RCM or is there a simpler way now to launch homebrew?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hammer Bro. posted:

And the Japanese version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, initially for those reasons but that one still sees use.)
Huh, I had assumed Puyo Puyo Tetris was a world-wide release but apparently it's region specific. That's unusual.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kyoujin posted:

Don't you still have the inject the payload once you boot into RCM or is there a simpler way now to launch homebrew?

Yeah, you have to inject it but there are phone apps to do it or you can use a computer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kyoujin posted:

You still have to inject the payload, yes. There's no permanent way to do homebrew for the Switch at the moment.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Though that lasts until your Switch reboots or powers off which means there can be years between needing to inject.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Yes, sleep mode works fine with injected payload and, in my case, the emulated nand (emummc). I leave it in that mode all the time in the dock and never had a random crash. A restart from this mode will boot back into the homebrew'd version without re-injecting the payload yourself, at least with a recent version of Atmosphere.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Huh, I had assumed Puyo Puyo Tetris was a world-wide release but apparently it's region specific. That's unusual.

It was a worldwide release except that in the Japanese version's help menu there was a button that launched... A WEBPAGE!

So you could connect your Switch to a local faked-router which would serve up different content than that webpage and, browsers being browsers, buffer overflow or something into RCM without a jig.

I'm sure modern jigs are the way to go but at the time they were hard to come by and honestly I like the act of hacking more than the output of hacking.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, you have to inject it but there are phone apps to do it or you can use a computer.

Best one:
https://github.com/MenosGrante/Rekado

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

injecting isn't a big deal and I don't think I've had to use my jig for over a year, which is good because I spilled beer into my right rail which is now a big fussy about taking a joycon, so I'm not 100% sure the jig would actually work again lol. I'll get it fixed when necessary

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I was going to ask for recs, thanks!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

3DS and Wii U got updates today. Are they both safe?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SeANMcBAY posted:

3DS and Wii U got updates today. Are they both safe?

Early reports are that with the latest version of Luma on your 3DS you are 100% fine, but uh, I am just going to wait and see.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's probably just GDPR stuff again or something like that but if you don't need to update then you don't need to update and can just ignore them

Not like they're important security updates or anything

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Anyone run into an issue where the outer cameras stop working on a hacked New 3DS? Granted I haven't touched my 3DS in a bit but I'm 99% sure the cameras worked before, now after updating Luma to 11.0 because I was out of date and doing the latest system update the outer cameras only show black and the applet freezes if I try to load the QR reader. Inner camera still works, I've tried going back to the old version of Luma/restoring NAND backup/safe mode system update/a few different troubleshooting methods I found on Google and GBATemp but still no dice. The system has just been sitting on a little display stand in the time since last messing with it and now so I doubt it's an actual physical hardware issue.

e: It doesn't even display/let me interact with already taken photos in the camera app unless i switch to inner camera first. Something's definitely wacky here

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 31, 2022

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Never had that issue and I use my 3DS regularly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

absolutely anything posted:

Anyone run into an issue where the outer cameras stop working on a hacked New 3DS? Granted I haven't touched my 3DS in a bit but I'm 99% sure the cameras worked before, now after updating Luma to 11.0 because I was out of date and doing the latest system update the outer cameras only show black and the applet freezes if I try to load the QR reader. Inner camera still works, I've tried going back to the old version of Luma/restoring NAND backup/safe mode system update/a few different troubleshooting methods I found on Google and GBATemp but still no dice. The system has just been sitting on a little display stand in the time since last messing with it and now so I doubt it's an actual physical hardware issue.

e: It doesn't even display/let me interact with already taken photos in the camera app unless i switch to inner camera first. Something's definitely wacky here

I had something similar back when I had an original 3DS. The camera was actually broken and I had to have it repaired by Nintendo.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Has anybody hacked a vita recently? I need to figure out what version I'm on, the guides look fairly straightforward, but the reason I haven't is I'm scared of malware on my PC. I know some people can do hacks that install hundreds of games but I assume that is piracy? I just want access to emulators, including ps1/2. All of it is just super overwhelming and I get fried thinking about it.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Has anybody hacked a vita recently? I need to figure out what version I'm on, the guides look fairly straightforward, but the reason I haven't is I'm scared of malware on my PC. I know some people can do hacks that install hundreds of games but I assume that is piracy? I just want access to emulators, including ps1/2. All of it is just super overwhelming and I get fried thinking about it.

Russ at RGC just updated his Vita guide the other day! Playing PS1 games through Adrenaline is the easiest method right now. PS2 isn't possible on the Vita, but there are some good official ports of PS2 games available.

Emulation of other systems is best through Retroarch. N64 has its own dedicated emulator (Daedalusx64), but it is more hit and miss.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

N64 emulation is always pretty sparse, even on dedicated Nintendo hardware. Emulators are still way behind the mounted boards.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I recommend this guide. I hacked my Vita, two 3DS consoles (old and new), and my Wii U (twice) using the guides on this site, without ever having any problems or suspicious files.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thank you both for the guides. I'm going to take a run at this later this week. Are there legal places to pick up old ps1 files for use in homebrew or is it only :filez:?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I recommend this guide. I hacked my Vita, two 3DS consoles (old and new), and my Wii U (twice) using the guides on this site, without ever having any problems or suspicious files.

Seconding this guide, I've hacked two 3DSes and a switch using this guide and it's been easy and free of bad files.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Thank you both for the guides. I'm going to take a run at this later this week. Are there legal places to pick up old ps1 files for use in homebrew or is it only :filez:?

You can buy PS1 games for your Vita through the store, if it's still running. Otherwise you just need to seek out iso files. Same with PSP and Vita really.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The PSN store is still up, yes. But only a small subset of PSX games is actually available there. For everything else if you want to stay legal you need a physical copy of the game that you then rip on your PC and convert into a PSVita-runnable executable with something like PSX2PSP.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The PSN store is still up, yes. But only a small subset of PSX games is actually available there. For everything else if you want to stay legal you need a physical copy of the game that you then rip on your PC and convert into a PSVita-runnable executable with something like PSX2PSP.

Oh cool I didn't know that was possible. I might look into that. Thank you all for being better than google!

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Actually exceeded the limit of icons that my 3ds is able to display. I had no idea that was a thing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yep, the max is 300 apparently. I've never personally hit the limit though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was getting close before I stopped using injects except for GBA. The stand alone emulators for other systems are better anyways too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Let's say I have a hacked 3DS, what are my best options for a novice idiot like me to play Game Boy/GBC/Game Boy Advance games on it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xenomrph posted:

Let's say I have a hacked 3DS, what are my best options for a novice idiot like me to play Game Boy/GBC/Game Boy Advance games on it?

mGBA for GB and GBC. Injects for GBA. It sounds silly to not use use the emulator with gba in the title for gba but the reason is you can play gba games natively and not emulated with that method. There’s another method for playing them natively too but I forget what it’s called and someone else will chime in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SeANMcBAY posted:

mGBA for GB and GBC. Injects for GBA. It sounds silly to not use use the emulator with gba in the title for gba but the reason is you can play gba games natively and not emulated with that method. There’s another method for playing them natively too but I forget what it’s called and someone else will chime in.

Oh durrr, I forgot it plays GBA natively, I think I even have some games injected already. How do I load/use mGBA on the 3DS though?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GBARunner is included with TwilightMenu and IIRC is still running the games natively thru backwards compatibility.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xenomrph posted:

Oh durrr, I forgot it plays GBA natively, I think I even have some games injected already. How do I load/use mGBA on the 3DS though?

Just download an mgba cia and install it with FBI. You can make a folder to put all your roms in and just put that on your sd. mGBA is cool since there’s even Super Game Boy support so you can get those color palettes and borders if you wish.

Commander Keene posted:

GBARunner is included with TwilightMenu and IIRC is still running the games natively thru backwards compatibility.

This is what I was thinking of. Thanks. This is probably a better method these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I use an emulator for my gba roms bc the native gba running in 3ds doesnt have any features (namely save states and fast forward)