Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I dusted off my old 3ds xl today. Should I just reformat my SD card and start fresh using the guide in the OP if I want to update my stuff? It's still running that purple screen menuhax, rx tool,cakes etc. I already backed up my saves using JKSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Yeah you should, this poo poo you're running with is ancient.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Stink Terios posted:

Yeah you should, this poo poo you're running with is ancient.

I'm still using a god drat Gateway, I need to update my poo poo too. Haven't touched it in forever.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Turtlicious posted:

That guy just sent the absolute worst of the internet after this poor woman that is disgusting.

It's not an intentional thing though. While you can manage a lot of people, the rabid morons will always go batshit insane.

look at those dudes who loving lose it when some dev doesn't update some hack/homebrew in a timely manner.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Dizz posted:

It's not an intentional thing though. While you can manage a lot of people, the rabid morons will always go batshit insane.

look at those dudes who loving lose it when some dev doesn't update some hack/homebrew in a timely manner.

A good example of this is Krikzz’s current dilemma with the EverdriveN8’s latest beta, or, even the other hotness in that community, Redguy’s magical SuperFX + impending SA-1 developments for the SD2SNES.

So much good poo poo coming down the pipe, but because it didn’t happen yesterday, some entitled assholes bump those threads with an angry, expectant tone?

poo poo, now I remember the guy on the Bioware forums who actually said he would beat his wife and blame it on Obsidian if we didn’t release some toolset patch for Neverwinter Nights 2 at once.

That happened over a decade ago.

Oh man I’m kinda sad now!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

poe meater posted:

I dusted off my old 3ds xl today. Should I just reformat my SD card and start fresh using the guide in the OP if I want to update my stuff? It's still running that purple screen menuhax, rx tool,cakes etc. I already backed up my saves using JKSM.

Unless you really want some new feature or something's broken I wouldn't really bother. I still haven't. Just remember that if you're doing the DS stuff, you'll need to install the two cias for dsimenu in sysnand too.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

A good example of this is Krikzz’s current dilemma with the EverdriveN8’s latest beta, or, even the other hotness in that community, Redguy’s magical SuperFX + impending SA-1 developments for the SD2SNES.

So much good poo poo coming down the pipe, but because it didn’t happen yesterday, some entitled assholes bump those threads with an angry, expectant tone?

poo poo, now I remember the guy on the Bioware forums who actually said he would beat his wife and blame it on Obsidian if we didn’t release some toolset patch for Neverwinter Nights 2 at once.

imagine being being some big twitch streamer or some poo poo and saying something simple as "I don't really like this streamer's content" and then a month later learning that they got harassed off the internet because you have some shithead fanboys doxxing and sending death threats.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

In fairness it really was quite a bad toolset. However

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In fairness it really was quite a bad toolset. However

I built my level, g08singingcaverns in that toolset. I know.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Finally getting around to hacking my wii u. Backing up my nand now. Is the nand dumper just a black screen while it's working and then it reboots? Just want to make sure it's working...

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
made me realise I never backed up my wii u nand

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Nonviolent J posted:

made me realise I never backed up my wii u nand

:same:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Color Printer posted:

So apparently there have been major improvements to nds-bootstrap (DS games on 3DS via SD card) lately and a lot of games can run at full cart speed and they've been nailing out save (apparently WarioWare DIY is the only game that can't save, other than that no "donor carts" needed) and sound issues? Games less than 24 MB can just be loaded into RAM for even faster speeds and no sound issues? I was hoping for a breakthrough in this department and I think they're doing it, holy poo poo

https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

Does this work on the DSi XL as well?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Does this work on the DSi XL as well?

Looks like it, you apparently need DSiMenu++ installed on the DSi. If you need a tutorial for hacking your DSi, here you go.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 20, 2018

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I know there are a few different ways to mod a wii u, what is the method most folks use if they want to use it for emulation and play backups off of a USB drive?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

To answer my question from last night: no, the nand dumper is not just a black screen. It shows progress as it goes.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Just bought a second Switch exclusively for Homebrew purposes. Fortunately, most Switches in the wild as of this week are still vulnerable to Fusee Gelee.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
How good is the Wii U's DS emulator for virtual console injection anyway?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Dos posted:

How good is the Wii U's DS emulator for virtual console injection anyway?

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_NDS_injection

Pretty good. Depends on what is injected into what.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

Looks like it, you apparently need DSiMenu++ installed on the DSi. If you need a tutorial for hacking your DSi, here you go.

Thank you so much!

azurite posted:

Just bought a second Switch exclusively for Homebrew purposes. Fortunately, most Switches in the wild as of this week are still vulnerable to Fusee Gelee.

How is Nintendo making some of them unhackable if they still have the old Tegra chip?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good guide to installing ndsbootstrap on 3DS? I think my twoline or whatever it’s called is broke

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

How is Nintendo making some of them unhackable if they still have the old Tegra chip?

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses#bootrom_ipatch

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there a good guide to installing ndsbootstrap on 3DS? I think my twoline or whatever it’s called is broke

Check the comments here for instructions from migrating from TWLoader, you probably don't have TWLoader installed but the instructions should still work, https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/8wiktx/dsimenuplusplus_50/ (yes that's for DSiMenuPlusPlus but that's needed for ndsbootstrap to work and also includes ndsbootstrap). Basically copy the _nds folder to your 3DS' SD card (replace any files if you're prompted, you might already have an _nds folder), grab the three .cias and put them in the cias folder on your SD card, make sure you've got a test rom in on your SD card (path should be /roms/nds/, I recommend Super Mario 64 DS for testing), install the CIAs though FBI on the 3DS, and then run the Plus Plus Launcher.

I'm not too knowledgable about ndsbootstrap myself because I have an Acekard 2i, which despite being ancient as gently caress is one of the few flashcards that works out of the box with Luma. I'm testing in it on my 3DS right now.

[Edit: yup, this process works! Currently playing Picross3D on my 3DS through DsiMenuPlusPlus. Also it turns out that the rom path location doesn't really matter because DSiMenuPlusPlus has a built-in file browser. And if you hold down Select or Start while the rom boots it opens in the original res instead of stretching the game, just like if you were launching a DS game from a cart.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 21, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ah so even launch consoles on 5.0 are screwed?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been a bit out of touch lately but from what I gather, no, the more-secure consoles are only just starting to appear in the wild.

I don't think Nintendo can patch the bootrom outside of the factory. Or if they can, they're choosing not to.

There have been sightings of 4.x units that have the bootrom patch applied, though since they're < 5.0.0 they still have software vulnerabilities that leave them palatable. If they've been able to fix the exploits for that long, surely they would've baked it into more recent patches.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-sues-console-rom-sites-for-mass-copyright-infringement-180720/

Through the lawsuit, which also lists a count of unfair competition, Nintendo hopes to shut both sites down. The company requests statutory damages of $150,000 per infringing Nintendo game and up to $2,000,000 for each trademark infringement.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
So I should get a switch extremely soon if I'm gonna be interested in hacking it? How can I tell if I'm buying one that will be hackable? I don't know the first thing about hacking poo poo I'm just on the fence about buying one, I'll pull the trigger now if they're about to go away but if they're already gone I'll wait

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

More likely than not, you'll be able to find a new one that is vulnerable to Fusee Gelee (the "unpatchable" exploit involving the pin shorting). There's a thread over at GBATemp that is tracking serial numbers, and they are visible on the exterior of the box. The serial numbers are not a guarantee, but offer an educated guess on whether it's still vulnerable. Vulnerable Switches should be available for a little while longer, but they're no longer leaving the factory that way. If you miss the boat on new ones, there's always eBay for used consoles.

For what it's worth, the "fixed" switches are shipping with 4.1.0, which apparently is vulnerable to a different exploit that should be eventually available. The problem is, if you update it, you'll have to wait until newer firmware gets hacked. There's no guarantee that a worthwhile vulnerability will be found in future firmware. Also, old firmware might bar you from playing newer games.

azurite fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 22, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ah so even launch consoles on 5.0 are screwed?

The bootrom can only be patched during manufacturing. If your console is vulnerable to fusée gelée, it will always be vulnerable. (Until your SoC is replaced when you send it in for repairs)

What that means though, is that whenever the fusée gelée vulnerability was made known (several months ago), Nintendo immediately started manufacturing patched hardware. It just took the distribution channels and stores up until now to work through the backlog of old hardware still being sent out and displayed.

If you're living in some kind of trade hub, like a big city with a harbor for international shipping, most stores will already have the new patched shipments, since they always get the freshest stock. If you're living out in the boonies, it might still take a few weeks for big retailers to catch up, and who knows how long little brick and mortar stores might still have switch hardware from 2017 stocked.

But yeah, patched units so far still come with 4.1.0 firmware, which means that Nintendo has been producing patched hardware since the start of March this year at the latest, maybe earlier. The supply of vulnerable hardware is going to dry up faster and faster now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HenryEx posted:

The bootrom can only be patched during manufacturing. If your console is vulnerable to fusée gelée, it will always be vulnerable. (Until your SoC is replaced when you send it in for repairs)

What that means though, is that whenever the fusée gelée vulnerability was made known (several months ago), Nintendo immediately started manufacturing patched hardware. It just took the distribution channels and stores up until now to work through the backlog of old hardware still being sent out and displayed.

If you're living in some kind of trade hub, like a big city with a harbor for international shipping, most stores will already have the new patched shipments, since they always get the freshest stock. If you're living out in the boonies, it might still take a few weeks for big retailers to catch up, and who knows how long little brick and mortar stores might still have switch hardware from 2017 stocked.

But yeah, patched units so far still come with 4.1.0 firmware, which means that Nintendo has been producing patched hardware since the start of March this year at the latest, maybe earlier. The supply of vulnerable hardware is going to dry up faster and faster now.

Ah that makes a lot more sense, thank you. I am surprised with them patching the bootrom that they're even bothering with the revised CPU to be honest.

Hackable Switch systems will be hard to get used but there's gotta be 10,000 used ones on eBay right now and there's 15 million in the wild so I wouldn't panic too much, unless you absolutely have to have a new one.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Gay Horney posted:

So I should get a switch extremely soon if I'm gonna be interested in hacking it? How can I tell if I'm buying one that will be hackable? I don't know the first thing about hacking poo poo I'm just on the fence about buying one, I'll pull the trigger now if they're about to go away but if they're already gone I'll wait

I've got an extra one I'm looking to get rid of that is basically brand new, only turned on to check the firmware. It's on 4.0.1, so it's good to go. I'd PM you about this but you don't have PMs.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Someone released a payload that's ment to crack tx os but it bricks your Switch...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm about to finally modify my NES classic. It's from the newer shipments. I know I'm supposed to use HAKCHI CE.1.2.X. Is there anything else I need to know? Are there a certain number of games that can go in each folder or else save states stop working or anything weird like that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have an unused 2TB hard drive that is sort of earmarked for some other stuff (personal backups, really), but since there's so much space on there, I'd love to format and partition it to also hold a ton of GC and Wii games.

What's my best option? Something like the first partition being formatted to ~500gb FAT32, and the rest of it for whatever else I want it for?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have an unused 2TB hard drive that is sort of earmarked for some other stuff (personal backups, really), but since there's so much space on there, I'd love to format and partition it to also hold a ton of GC and Wii games.

What's my best option? Something like the first partition being formatted to ~500gb FAT32, and the rest of it for whatever else I want it for?

What for? A Wii U? I just popped a 128gb flash drive in mine and leave it there permanently. I had to use 2 ports to deliver enough power to a hard drive and it the end it just wasn't worth it for how much I moved mine around. Flash drives are pretty cheap now, unless you need an absolutely massive one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nonviolent J posted:

Someone released a payload that's ment to crack tx os but it bricks your Switch...

This is filling the uh, hole, in my life since Genecyst and Nesticle

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

What for? A Wii U? I just popped a 128gb flash drive in mine and leave it there permanently. I had to use 2 ports to deliver enough power to a hard drive and it the end it just wasn't worth it for how much I moved mine around. Flash drives are pretty cheap now, unless you need an absolutely massive one.

It's for a regular wii, actually. I'm not currently in a situation to spend money on extra storage, so I'd like to use what I already have if possible.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That should probably work, but don't be suprised if it doesn't. The various USB loaders are very finicky when it comes to that stuff, even more so if you are using a hacked vWii on the WiiU.

From personal experience, my WiiU had problems with vWii breaking when I used a USB hub, and a (very cheap) USB 3.0 drive I had would only click when connected.

You are using a Wii so it will probably be fine?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Why is there all this drama in the Switch hacking community? It is just the money/notoriety?

I mean, it didn't seem this insane with the 3DS/DS hacking scene, is it just because how quickly it appears, and how useful the console is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
"New" console, in the sense that it's part of the current gen, means every exploit makes you internet famous. The recent drama was over someone stealing another dev's big reveal. The fact that Nintendo actually cares (in more than a token way) about this makes the fame all the more valuable.