Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Flagrama posted:

If it is a DS game and not a DSi Enhanced or DSi exclusive game it should have no region locking at all.

Has any Homebrew found a way to access DSi enhanced stuff or region locking at all? Has the DSi even been hacked or is it just a lack of interest that keeps it that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cool. I got NES roms working. I can't seem to get GBA working. Which cores are recommended for GB and GBA (and does the GBA core play GB too?)

Edit: gbSP is giving me trouble.

You may need a bios file for the GBA. I can't go any further because :filez:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Does Nintendon't stream GC games to the Gamepad?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ah ok. Thanks for the answers.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You’ve been able to do this for a while, hell they figured out how to literally download digital games from Nintendo’s servers and play them as if you had a license

Oh there's a FreeShop for the Wii U?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

What was the whole thing about the Switch only having a limited number of updates? I swear that was discussed a while back. Was that already worked around?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Nonviolent J posted:

I don't know why but I hate retroarch, I love stand alone emulators

I've never liked the clunky nature of Retroarch. It's got a slick UI but it's not very newbie friendly. Also it's got a clunky implementation on 3DS. And yeah the emus by bubbles2k16 are really good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I've seen people talk about ways to do it, but they end up running poorly. Just get a flash cart.

I believe this is why there's no interest in coding up a way to do it. Anyone who wants DS games just gets a flash cart.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

SwissCM posted:

I've been moderately happy with my GPD Win, though it's outclassed by the Win 2. It's as close as you're going to get to a holy grail of portable emulation, with the downside of ludicrous cost.

Pages back but I almost got the Win 2 but the build problems of the Win 1 kept me away also the price. I sprang for the Switch instead.

Where there's a will there's a way. Vita was thought to be uncrackable passed 6.20 and that made it through. I haven't read that thread posted yet though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Flagrama posted:

Because there are currently 85 issues open on the nds-bootstrap github mostly about performance issues and games that don't work, while a flash cart has near perfect compatibility. It's amazingly better than it used to be, but it still has its problems.

I just did the DSi mod and I was wondering if it was a mistake because it feels very unpolished at the moment. I guess I was just used to the 3DS hacking scene.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s the status of vita hacking these days? I sold my OG Vita right after henkaku came out. Can any version be hacked or is it still just 3.whatever like back in the day?

I just stopped by a rummage sale and got a 2001 Vita with a pile of games and an 8gb card for $60 and I couldn’t pass on that, so I’m back in the game!

Has anyone done the needful and made a Vita game cartridge to microsd adapter yet, like a vita flash cart, so you don’t need to sell your kidney for 16gb?

There's a guide up from the same people that do the 3DS, WiiU, and DSi, hacks:

https://vita.hacks.guide/

Everything up to 3.70 should be hackable. I did mine before the 3.70 update so I'm not sure what it entails.

Look up SD2Vita when you hack it. It's a SD card reader that goes in the cartridge slot that acts as a memory card.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, wow, sd2vita cards are like $7 on amazon. Haven’t fired the unit up yet, fingers crossed it’s hackable

Should be fine. Sony has not released any firmware passed 3.70 and The Flow said his hack works on everything up to 3.70 but anything passed that would most likely stay unhacked, at least by him.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

edit: It just popped into my brain. The SD2Vita creates an issue where the Vita constantly goes in and out of sleep mode unless it's in airplane mode. The 3G to SD adapter does not have that issue.

I've never heard of this and I don't seem to have this issue but I usually turn my system off

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

the national nightmare is finally over

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't something eventually, but it looks like it'll take a while - SciresM has managed to get his hands on the new revision and is very pessimistic about anyone's chances of breaking it.

Different system but The Flow said the Vita firmware before the current one wouldn't get an exploit and he found one anyway. Stuff gets found.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The 360 is a pretty different mindset. Most of the games were also on PC or PS3 so you can go that route and since the console was one of the biggest sellers of that gen, chances are you might already have one for system exclusives. Also alot of the media stuff was a direct answer to the the original Xbox hacking scene.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

So like, connecting my 3DS to the eshop would be a bad idea right?

If you're ever unsure, don't do it. It's probably ok but :shrug:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

lol if you don't just cfw every console you own and put on dozens of full back catalogues of emulated consoles "in case I want to play it" and then stick it in a drawer and forget about it for years

pls don't tell anyone how I live

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Walla posted:

I can copy files and follow instructions but gently caress me if I actually know what's going on under the hood.

pretty sure this is most of the modding userbase

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

raditts posted:

Why can they present this as a criminal matter? What exactly is the crime here, "people doing what they want with hardware they legally obtained"? I'm not a lawyer or nothin' but I don't get how "it could potentially be used to download things without paying for them" is grounds for criminal prosecution. Or even really grounds for a civil suit for that matter, but it's not like Nintendo isn't known for suing anyone for any reason.

i think you answered your own question

raditts posted:

"it could potentially be used to download things without paying for them"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Except for the fact it's missing a stick and two buttons, it actually does very accurate PS1 emulation due to the CPU similarities.

Vita also does this, it runs PS1 games through its internal PSP emulator. So emulation on emulation, but it actually works well. And on the Vita, you do have the second stick and can simulate the missing buttons with the (awful) back touchpad thingy.

On topic, the New 3DS can also do PS1 emulation fairly decently. The Wii U less so. In fact, its CPU may actually be worse than the New 3DS one.

Grips can still be found that add triggers for the back touchpad and make it handle better but now you add bulk to it and you have to carry an extra piece.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Are there GBA emulators for the 3DS that let me play Boktai and Wario Ware Twisted?

You can make GBA injects but you need the roms.

This is what I've used before:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gba-vc-injector-for-3ds.438057/

There might be something better by now. There's a site that has the .cia files ready for install that's similar to FreeShop but I'm not linking because :filez:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

On second thought

hatty posted:

Just get Warioware Gold

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

no post it on your Patreon or onlyfans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU