Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dag nabbit, and I just spent eight bucks on fifty write-once NFC tags!

That's pretty cool and honestly why I like hacking my systems. I don't even like doing stuff with them, but I like having the theoretical potential ability to do those kinds of things.

Maybe next someone will make the 3DS simulate a Joycon so I can get some zero-money precision D-padding in for my, uh, Picross or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I wasn't in a hurry, and AliExpress had free shipping.

I don't remember the exact cost, but they were pretty darn cheap. Which is good, because I've only used two, and I botched the first one.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Honestly I think a large chunk of the problem is motivation as well. There were totally acceptable and reasonably cheap flashcarts before the homebrew scene got amazing, so why should one spend their time implementing a thing that already works?

I certainly shelled out the $20 so I wouldn't have to pull out my physical copy of Order of Ecclesia. One day I may even play a second flashed game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you're an oversized, rampaging nerd who likes theory: a smart dude made a great write-up about exploiting 1.0.0 Switches.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Don't go too nuts to get to 3.0.0 -- there's not much in the way of useful homebrew yet, and there are more significant exploits at lower firmware revisions.

Anything interesting is still a decent ways out, though from a historical perspective Switch hacking is moving lightning-fast.

1.0.0's even getting custom firmware, though you'll likely need a Japanese copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris to launch it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

From my understanding, the Switch hacking horizon looks like:
  • 1.0.0 will get custom firmware (CFW) first. It has a major hole that was fixed in the Day 1 patch (2.0.0), so the hacking scene has had no qualms developing against it.
  • 3.0.0 is the best target for homebrew. In trying to improve security, Nintendo made a blunder that opened up userland access for hackers. This is where the most active development is, and while you couldn't sell the general populace on it yet, there are a lot of great proof-of-concepts or unstable, partial, but impressive releases.
  • 2.x.x have a few minor flaws that were fixed in 3.0.0, but because of the big hole Nintendo opened in 3.0.0 they're not targets of active development. The general consensus is if you're on 2.x there's little harm in upgrading to 3.0.0 via revision-0 copies of Pokken Tournament DX.
  • 3.0.1 - 3.0.2 don't get the immediate homebrew that 3.0.0 has, but they're still worth staying on because hackers do know of a way to get them there. As a rule the hacking scene doesn't release anything that uses unpatched exploits, because then Nintendo could reverse-engineer those releases and patch the exploits sooner than they might otherwise.
  • 4.x.x will eventually get to a homebrew state, but there's been far less published about that other than some assurances, probably because it relied on unfixed exploits. It'll be interesting to see what additional information comes out now that 5.0.0 has dropped; they definitely fixed a lot but perhaps not everything.
  • 5.0.0 is real rough for hacking prospects. Nintendo has gotten its act together and closed most of the known (or at least disclosed) entry points, in addition to employing some new best-practices that make a hacker's life hard. The development scene has nothing up its sleeve to deal with 5.0.0 at present, unless you count a hard mod that's been teased but not released.
I also suspect the primary purpose of the upcoming hardware revision will be closing the bootrom bug -- too many people have been bragging too loudly about being able to hijack all switches regardless of firmware status.

I got lucky and caught the hints that 5.0.0 was dropping the day before it actually did; took my system out of airplane mode long enough to update all of my games, then nabbed Necrodancer since I know I'll wanna play that at some point. Got a pretty huge backlog to keep me busy at this point, and I imagine Kirby will not have 5.0.0 on its carts; quite possibly neither will Tropical Freeze.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Andrast posted:

gently caress staying on old rear end firmwares just on the off-chance that somebody is going to get homebrew running on it.

I get your point, but as to not mislead others: 3.0.0 definitely has working homebrew right now. There are large chunks missing (like support for sound), but people have gotten emulators reasonably playable and made ports of simple games and whatnot.

The other < 5.0.0 versions will get there (or better) through software methods with 100% confidence, though the timeline is unknown.

All Revision A hardware should theoretically get there via mod chip with purported solderless option, but that costs money and is only being pursued by one group, albeit one with a good reputation.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saoshyant posted:

But the Switch? No region-locking, not even for digital stuff, and no backwards-compatibility to deal with related issues via homebrew. I don't see the point. Get a Shield if all you care is emulators and whatnot.

Joycons, portability, and that sweet, sweet sleep button.

They sound like trivialities on paper but they're literally the reason I went from 0 gaming last generation (infrequent LoL) to having more than 13 physical carts and who knows how many digital this generation.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There's an effort to try to deduce Switch firmware by serial number.

I suspect countries where the Switch is less popular are more likely to have older models sittin' around.

(Also waiting on that sweet, sweet CFW.)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

We'll have custom firmwares on all < 5.0 models at around the same time, with 1.0 maybe being a little sooner than the rest, and probably all of the >= 5.0 models eventually though there may be some hardware fiddling involved.

At least until the Mariko revisions drop. Which is probably why the Mariko revisions will drop.

http://www.ktemkin.com/faq-fusee-gelee/ is a pretty good state-of-affairs.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ahh, interesting, I thought it was known prior. Didn't Nintendo have bounties on some bug and cracking website for such a thing on the 3DS? I wonder why they didn't extend that to the Switch. Though maybe they did, I didn't keep up with that.

To further elaborate, they did and they applied those fixes to their custom Switch OS, which is similar to the 3DS OS. By all accounts, the post-1.0.0 software has been reasonably secure, except a massive oopsie they opened up on 3.0.0 specifically.

But turns out Tegras are troubled. As are our Intel/AMD CPUs (to a lesser extent). Technology is tricky, and nerds are smart.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They already have a thing that converts bitmaps into controller input that way they can have pixel-art in the whatever-you-draw-in-Splatoon-on.

I imagine full mouse + keyboard wouldn't be a huge leap from there.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you're talking homebrew and you're on 4.x or 5.x, https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-4-x-5-x.504012/

If you're on 2.0 - 3.0, http://switch.cfw.guide/guide/homebrew-launcher/.

If you're on 1.0.0, wait a little longer for custom firmware.

If you're on 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, that's an oddly specific version to be on, and I'm not sure what to tell you.

I don't know that there's much worth doing in the non-homebrew hacks land yet. It's interesting from a developer's perspective, but not adequately functional for most end users.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saoshyant posted:

Install Linux, problem solved!

Linux currently lacks docked output, audio, most of joycon support, has to be rebooted awkwardly to establish wireless connections, and may permanently throw off your console's battery reporting abilities.

I'd give it a little longer in the oven.

Nonviolent J posted:

Stil annoyed that 1.0.0 hasn't got anything other than using Puyo, it's the most broken firmware damnit

I haven't double checked on this, but I'm pretty sure the "hardmod" (paperclip) route will work as an entrypoint for 1.0.0 as well.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The official GitHub repository for Atmosphere-NX is https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere.

That some other person is distributing releases when the actual developers are not is a bit fishy.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

1.0.0 has some opportunities for coldboot exploits that later firmwares do not.

It's a minor convenience given how slick TX's dongle looks and how stable Atmosphere will eventually become, but that also doesn't seem to be terribly expensive a premium to pay.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I haven't been following that side of things -- why?

Is it some kind of emunand/reversible situation in which you didn't burn fuses and can downgrade? Are there any benefits to doing so that outweigh the potential of coldboot CFW on 1.0.0?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just keep your switch in flight mode while running anything through sx os (even backups) and you should be absolutely fine

I'm not convinced this statement is entirely true for the Switch. There's growing suspicion that Nintendo checks the system error logs on occasion and deems the presence of custom errors, the overabundance of normal errors, or the absence of all errors as banworthy criteria.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been a bit out of touch lately but from what I gather, no, the more-secure consoles are only just starting to appear in the wild.

I don't think Nintendo can patch the bootrom outside of the factory. Or if they can, they're choosing not to.

There have been sightings of 4.x units that have the bootrom patch applied, though since they're < 5.0.0 they still have software vulnerabilities that leave them palatable. If they've been able to fix the exploits for that long, surely they would've baked it into more recent patches.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, will any Switch from last year be able to run custom firmware eventually? Or if it's already updated to 5.1.0 (current latest) it's hosed and I might as well sell it? I seem to be running into answers online claiming both.

From what I recall, the RCM exploit that is a common entry point for most of the CFWs exists on all older models regardless of firmware, but there was some kind of special efuse that Nintendo can't (or hasn't) updated over-the-air that blocks one of the exploits that they use in RCM mode. Nintendo seems to be flipping that bit on any Switches sent in for repairs as of a couple of months ago. Hackers have at least one other exploit in that area that they're sitting on that still allows them to gain full control of the system, which is how they were able to so clearly detail what was going on when this phenomenon started happening.

Last I heard if you hadn't sent the device in for repairs then you're golden, if you had then a little more research might be warranted.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

parasyte posted:

Technical Details

Thanks for that. I spend far more time reading about hacks than actually doing hack-related stuff, though I am sitting on a 1.0.0 Switch for the eventual theoretical glory days. And multiple-roommate Zelda, which has been good for a few hundred hours.

I have heard that they've been swapping out the SoCs for newer ones when people send systems in for repairs, though, as there have been a few reports of previously-vunlerable systems coming back ipatched.

So still beware the warranty.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rufio posted:

And what is the benefit of holding onto a 1.00 fw switch? How are people envisioning this to pay off?

There are a few huge exploits that will eventually allow 1.0.0 Switches to coldboot into CFW.

Not that Auto-RCM is inconvenient or that my system ever turns off, but I want it booting straight into CFW from dead. Once that CFW becomes significantly more polished.

There may be other useful exploits people eventually discover, though I don't know that a lot of attention is being paid to it since it's difficult to downgrade at present. But also people have figured out how to upgrade without burning efuses (provided you never boot into non-CFW, in which case those fuses will still get burnt), which means that I could also theoretically update to 5.1.0, putz around for a while, then go back. The practice is a bit janky but the possibility remains.

Also I think you can change the system date arbitrarily on 1.0.0 to trigger Golf whereas later versions use network time.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wrist Watch posted:

if I have a switch that is capable of shorting the pins to access homebrew, that’ll basically always be an option no matter what Nintendo does with software updates, right?

Software, yes. Hardware, no.

There are reports of Nintendo swapping out the SOC for a hardware-patched one when people send their Switches in for repairs so I'd be wary on that front but to the best of my knowledge as long as the device doesn't enter Nintendo's possession they don't have any over-the-air means of closing that hole.

Ohtsam posted:

I don't know exactly how to check whether a switch still has the exploit available though

These people are trying to track and deduce patched Switches via serial number. They've at least identified safe ranges which definitely aren't patched.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was trying to rebind the controls in RetroArch so I changed cancel from A to B (XBox B to Nintendo B) and it immediately decided that now B was cancel and A was also cancel (because I hadn't changed it yet) so I could change no more key bindings as I no longer had a confirm button.

Fortunately RetroArch has absorbed just about every other emulator into itself so we don't have alternatives.

I'm not sure if anyone's actually used it for anything meaningful yet.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm actually considering doing the opposite. Is the only special consideration for 1.0.0 (aside from not burning fuses, which everyone might have) to make sure to not update the cart slot?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What if the 1.0.0 warmboot hacks still require the browser from Puyo Tetris S which is only available via the cart?

Especially with homebrew, I like having options way more than I like actually using any of those options.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nice.

I bought JP Puyo before the scene had settled 'cause I didn't want to end up paying Cubic Ninja prices again, and also I've had my regular Puyo Puyo Tetris loaned out indefinitely (they play it pretty often at work).

As I found out earlier today when trying to create a jig, my household contains no paperclips. I was having trouble with threaded wires and folded tinfoil and whatnot, then I found you can use PegaSwitch to boot into RCM on 1.0.0 units.

Now that the sun has set I'm beginning the multitudes of backups.

Edit: Make sure you're using a modern MicroSD card here. Write speeds are a thing.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 1, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Keen. I might do that if I somehow ever lose AutoRCM.

But finally, after far too many hours, I have a custom wallpaper on my Switch. Eventually I might be able to rock some Wiishop music in the background as well.

Though I had to use ReiNX for the LayeredFS support since the Atmosphere I grabbed didn't seem to support it. I'm sure it's just a matter of putting fs_mitm.ksp somewhere appropriate or maybe editing a config somewhere, but I can't seem to find enough info to figure it out myself; everyone seems to have it out-of-the-box.

Anyone know how to enabled LayeredFS in Atmosphere launched from a reasonably recent Hekate?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm will let you format large devices as FAT32 on Windows.

Microsoft deliberately prevents its official tools from doing so because they wanted people to switch to NTFS or somesuch.

Though I'm not 100% convinced those don't-use-exFat comments still apply. But I haven't done adequate research, so I won't outright deny them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The current sentiment is that if you run Switch RetroArch or maybe other homebrew from the Homebrew Channel, perhaps not from installed NSPs, on a card with exFat then the filesystem will become corrupted.

I'm not sure if that was superstition or based on old information that presumably has been fixed since then, but I hear it repeated a lot. It doesn't strike me as a situation which should exist for any appreciable period of time.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That was my primary motivation for hacking though I didn't get custom background music working at the time and I haven't wanted to touch it since.

But one day the WiiShop music will once again grace my living room.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

To expand upon things a little bit:

You can still enter RCM on 6.2.0 and up. From there, provided you have the appropriate backups, you can re-flash your Switch to a previous state (whatever was backed-up).

Homebrew still works from there except that Sleep Mode is no longer accessible -- they appear to have updated something somewhere not currently accounted for such that that persists. I imagine like how the game cart reader can be updated independently of the firmware and, to my knowledge, we don't have the tools to downgrade it. It's possible that homebrewers will figure out how to fix Sleep Mode in un-6.2.0-ed systems though I don't know that the candidate pool is large enough for them to bother.

You could then in theory return to 6.2.0 (also perhaps via backups) and, provided you didn't do anything to get yourself banned, keep playing as though it were a regular console.

You're not entirely locked out of homebrew if you've ever hit 6.2.0, but the inconvenience and limitations make it a fair bit less palatable / more risky than before.

I'm sure somebody will something something at some point, but this is a strong blow to the homebrew scene that suspiciously coincides with Smash on the horizon. As SciresM said, Nintendo gettin' clever.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It'll be a long time if ever we get 1.0 cold boot, but if you're extra-careful during all the setup you can fuzelessly update to whatever firmware you want and enjoy all the hacks with the ability to restore to clean 1.0 when you're done.

There's still some risk involved but Atmosphere 8+ added a worthwhile level of protection.

Also on 1.0 you can enter RCM via a web-based exploit. That was nice, 'cause I was having trouble jigging up a jig.

Random unrelated nifty tidbit: if you're on the 5.X line and don't wanna update but do wanna Smash, people have been unpacking and re-encrypting its update NSPs to have 5.X keys.

Obviously don't go online for any of the above.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Takoluka posted:

Real question: What does homebrew even do anymore that isn't piracy, outside of save backups?

Cheat codes?

I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how things fall apart with infinite time on Katamari.

And had I hacks at the time I played Xenoblade, I would've cut the heck out of some of its tedium.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Don't think the dock thing has ever been true outside of maybe some weird edge case.

Haven't tried to do local wireless with the Switch but I can't conceive of a reason why it wouldn't work -- I think all of Nintendo's API calls are still available, minus the ones they've gone out of their way to stub or re-implement.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lemme know if the tech has progressed, but I was under the impression that Lakka (and other Switch Linux attempts) weren't terribly convenient yet.

Like no sound support and only detached joycons inconvenient.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

As long as you're careful in making the right kind of backups and doing the right kind of updates, you can fuselessly update to whatever version you want, enjoy all the hacks, then eventually revert to exactly where you were if/when coldboot is unveiled.

That's my theoretical plan with my 1.0 -> 5.1 system, though honestly I might not bother for a good while because the thing basically never turns off in practice.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

People backport Smash updates on the internet. I suspect if you looked you'd find an NSP patch that was designed for use with 6.2 CFW.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone know if PCSX ReARMed works for RetroArch Switch?

One time once I got a .bin file loaded directly to being playing the intro in an impractically tiny screen, but most of the time it just Failed to Load Contents me.

I'm curious if I need to do any special configurations or have specific file types or whatnot. Though I've tried a fair few file types.

Edit: Now it appears to work fine although the RetroArch UI went from unexpectedly decent to very pixely. Anyone know how to revert that?

RetroArch mystifies me.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Did I read right that if you shut down the system it'll now shut down and if you reboot it via the normal methods it'll reboot to Atmosphere?

It keeps inching closer and closer to an untethered solution.