Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

CFW can now go into and out of sleep mode so it's less of a problem, but Briccmii corrupts boot0 so that the switch will always boot into recovery mode:

https://github.com/rajkosto/briccmii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mamma Lucia posted:

Is there a way to backup/load saves with the Tegra exploit or are they still working on that?

Short answer, yes, but it's a pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzyZC_Z28yg

Long answer: https://gbatemp.net/threads/backups-are-here.507484/

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the current best bet for adding a button combo to bring up the home screen and some roms to the NES and SNES classic? I just want to add some more games and be able to get to the menu without standing up like a moron, I dont need external hard drives and copies of quake running on it.

Hakchi2 main build now has all the features from the other forks, just go with that. Automatically does everything you need. https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Injecting a gb rom into a super gameboy rom isn't possible because the super gameboy wasn't actually super nintendo software, it was its own piece of hardware that patched into the super nintendo controls and display, like the sega 32x.

There are a couple of RetroArch cores that support super gameboy, but you need to do some hacky stuff to get them working that Hakchi doesn't do.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://forums.libretro.com/t/higan-v105-super-game-boy-bios-tutorial/12676

quote:

The new Higan v105 core that just hit the online updater uses a simplified Super Game Boy routine that makes it much easier to access this feature than with the old v094-based cores. Instead of using the complex, CLI-based ‘subsystem’ launch commands, it looks for the necessary files in the system/BIOS directory whenever you feed the core a *.gb/c file.

To get it working, you’ll need one or more Super Game Boy ROMs from the No-Intro set and the sgb.boot.rom BIOS. I’m going to use the Super Game Boy (World) (Rev. 2).sfc ROM for the original Super Game Boy and Super Game Boy 2 (Japan).sfc ROM for Super Game Boy 2.
Step 1

Make 2 subdirectories in your system/BIOS directory, one named SGB1.sfc and the other named SGB2.sfc.
Step 2

Copy your original Super Game Boy ROM into the SGB1.sfc directory and then rename it to program.rom. Copy your Super Game Boy 2 ROM into the SGB2.sfc directory and then rename it program.rom, as well.
Step 3

Copy your sgb.boot.rom BIOS into each of your SGB1.sfc and SGB2.sfc directories, and rename them to sgb1.boot.rom and sgb2.boot.rom, respectively. There’s a core option to choose which of the two SGB BIOSes you want to use.
Done

There’s some minor visual glitchy stuff happening in Linux, but it plays fine. Windows is perfect when rewind is enabled.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Linux doesn't touch any of the internal files, it's very unlikely that Nintendo will be able to detect it. If you're really worried about it, use separate sd cards and switch to airplane mode to use Linux.

There are a couple of problems still. Linux can't access the native sound output so you only get audio if you connect to a Bluetooth speaker, and it's handheld mode only. It can't use the dock or connect wirelessly to the joy cons. Once those two things get sorted out, it'll be a better emulation machine than the psp and wiiu combined.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, and it's not much of a hoop. Just grab anything conductive that can ground the rightmost pin on the right joycon dock, and hold volume up when you turn it on. Most people bridge the first and last pins but anything bigger than a paperclip should be enough to ground it on its own

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How's the image quality? Does the wiiu do any upscaling on wii/gc games?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dog, VGA includes a composite signal, you just need an adapter cable. Any laptop manufactured between 1990 and 2012 can output to a vcr.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've been keeping my switch on 4.10 because of vague rumours of coldboot and untethered softmods and whatnot, but with autoRCM and fuseless updating is there any point at all in keeping an old firmware? Even emunand doesn't seem to be worth much at this point.

Should I just bite the bullet and get my eshop access back?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Switch is now officially supported by RetroArch

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-5-introducing-libnx-switch-version/

What this means is that the RetroNX homebrew emulator that was forked off of RA has been merged back into the main branch. It doesn't mean a lot right now, but hopefully this will mean more developers giving a little attention to the Switch port when updating cores and such.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

azurite posted:

One thing I was never clear on was: Does Atmosphere modify the firmware so you don't need RCM, or do you still need to use RCM to start CFW every time?

I have a feeling it's the latter.

It still works exactly the same as every other cfw, the only advantage Atmosphere has is that it blocks a lot of Switch telemetry reporting. Might make you less likely to get banned, nobody knows for sure

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, just stick with what you've got.

They're working on emunand support which should let you switch on the fly between cfw and stock firmware and supposedly there's a possibility for coldboot in the future, but reinx will probably add that as soon as it's working

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Switch doesn't use a legitimate implementation of exfat, the same way it doesn't use a legitimate implementation of usb-c, and force-stopping a process that accesses the sd card can corrupt the filesystem. The most common way to access the homebrew launcher is to replace the gallery with it, which the switch just force quits when you exit.

If you've got the homebrew launcher as an nbs file that eliminates that problem, but homebrew stuff also tends to crash a lot.

Since Nintendo isn't likely to ever fix their exfat implementation, best to just go with fat32. If you want to pirate, there are filesplitters you can use to get around the 4gb limit

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 20, 2018

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is interesting:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-atmosphere-to-access-full-ram-with-homebrews-without-nsp.5212

Most homebrew setups replace the gallery app with the homebrew loader, but the photo gallery doesn't have access to the full ram capacity of the switch and therefore neither do any of the apps you launch through it. You can get around that by installing a custom-made .nsp and putting the homebrew loader or even the homebrew app right on your game list, but Nintendo will almost certainly ban you if you go online with that setup.

This lets you replace a legitimate eshop game instead of the photo gallery, so you can have full ram access without worrying about your console phoning home and telling Nintendo that you're playing retroarch. It should also help mitigate some of the exfat problems I mentioned in my last post

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://reinx.guide covers everything you want and more

It's not worth buying an rcm injector unless you're on the bleeding edge of homebrew stuff that crashes a lot and you don't have an Android phone.

Incidentally, I am on the bleeding edge of homebrew stuff and I just had my switch crash while connected to Wi-Fi and got banned. They don't just ban you from Nintendo's servers either, I can't play Fortnite (fine with that) or Jackbox (gently caress you Nintendo) anymore

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Was it worth it?

I don't know, man. I don't know.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've been pretty happy with this thing, too: https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Console-Birthday-Presents-Children/dp/B0796RLW6N

They got ahold of the original supplier that still makes the screen for the Game Boy Micro, so it's pixel perfect. The emulation is a little spotty in weird places, like Doom 1 and 2 run like poo poo, but Driver 3 with actual polygon graphics runs fine. I've been using it to play through the megaman battle network games lately

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A psp go with a dual shock 3 is still a better buy for homebrew right now. It's smaller, cheaper and emulators run better on it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's not as easy to get banned as it sounds, I only got banned after retroarch crashed multiple times and sent error reports. I could have stayed in airplane mode while playing and then done a nand restore or used a vpn to block Nintendo's server ip and probably been okay.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

WilliamAnderson posted:

Super Card SD, using a microSD to miniSD converter, I've already partitioned my MicroSD to 4 GB and formatted it as FAT, found the loading software, and supposedly found the binary, but I tossed it on the card and I just get a white screen on loading.

Do you have any smaller cards? I think that one only accepts 2 gigs, max

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're back to browsing for google drive links like an animal

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The new YouTube app has been patched to completely bypass Nintendo's servers. Great news for people who are blocking Nintendo with dns settings to avoid getting banned and also idiots who already got themselves banned without realizing it would ruin jackbox

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

pirate everything, it's not stealing and never will be

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hacking online to win competitive games is dumb and bad, hacking online to fly around the map while you sing bon jovi into the mic and nobody can mute you is cool and good

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The switch burns the fuses on the first boot after an update, so if anybody restarts your switch for any reason, update or no, you'll be stuck on higher firmware. You'll want to set up AutoRCM so that it can't boot without a payload injection. Small price to pay.

Annoying if you're at a party playing smash and the system crashes when you left your usb-c cable at home so you can't turn the switch back on, but that's a rare edge case that only happened to me once this week.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I had a gateway, and I never had a problem with it. I loaded it up a 32 gig microsd full of .3ds files and that was more than enough to last until I got bored with the 3ds entirely and threw it in a drawer.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You still need to mod the firmware to make the flash card work, at least with the gateway, and it's not any easier than setting up a proper custom firmware which will be much more versatile and give you access to a much bigger library.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Emulation is the only reason I bought a switch. My friends and I are still stuck in the nineties.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hammer Bro. posted:

Cheat codes?

I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how things fall apart with infinite time on Katamari.

And had I hacks at the time I played Xenoblade, I would've cut the heck out of some of its tedium.

I've said it before and I'll say it fifty times more, Skyward Sword on a hacked wii with the stamina bar and hints disabled was hands down the best game in the series up until breath of the wild

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The ppsspp core is really good, theoretically it should run flawlessly once somebody ports it to horizon

It's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. That and kodi.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 23, 2018

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

6.2.0 has been cracked, so as long as you're using one of the earlier hardware revisions you'll be fine. If you don't care about being banned, https://reinx.guide is the easiest method. It's tested and proven, and the instructions include a nand backup so you'll have insurance against possible future bricking

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

To have access to all the stuff that you can do in linux, except easy. No compiling, no loving around with drivers, just load up the Play store and install Kodi

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

RetroArch works great as long as you're connected to the internet. Just install the nsp and let it scan your rom directory and download the appropriate cores. If you're staying offline, it's a real pain

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

hey guess what

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://gbatemp.net/threads/browsenx-web-browser-launcher-source.529438/

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Incorrect.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nonviolent J posted:

Everytime someone thinks they have it's because they've done something else they haven't admitted ti

It happened to me with a retroarch .nro, dumbass

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Only in lakka. I wonder what's taking so long, people have been clamoring for ppsspp and reicast since the beginning, there must be something fucky behind the scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hm on thanks for that. I tried retroarch through Homebrew so I may be hosed but oh well. Worse part is Metal Gear Acid didn’t even work 😢

As long as it didn't crash you should be okay. I'm pretty sure I only got banned because I was using the very first release of retroarch and it crashed multiple times while I was connected to the internet and sending crash reports.

Metal Gear Acid has never worked, unfortunately. I don't know what they did differently with that game but PPSSPP just cannot run it and probably never will since it's not popular enough to bother writing custom code for.