Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have an og switch that I haven't updated in a few months, and I bought a (not sure what it's called) thing that you put in one of the joycon sliders that is used for some kind of hack, but haven't looked into it. I do want bluetooth audio though. Should I just keep it up to date and forget modding it, or does it not matter since I've updated it frequently until recently and the last couple of month's worth of updates won't make much of a difference?

I also have a wii U I want to get to work on. I modded my Vita recently and also my 2ds, and that went fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Finally hacked my switch to play ALTTP on it and then realised I have the nintendo subscription and played it using that. The hardest thing about the process is copying files, and I imagine that if you're on the homebrew/hacked OS it'd be really easy to accidentally do an online thing by mistake, and get banned.

I hope I don't get banned somehow but it's going ok so far. I did put in that dns change so I thiiink I can't actually do anything online with my switch right now but honestly I haven't tried yet. I barely use any online functionality anyway.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So I have a hackable switch and I hacked it. I changed my wifi to use the dns mentioned that makes it unable to connect with nintendo, then hacked it and as part of the hack (don't remember the terminology) made a separate 30gb partition on the sd card and boot from there. So in there the DNS setting already has been set since I think it cloned everything from my base setup.

Does that mean that I can boot into my normal partition (stock) and undo the dns settings and play online as normal and nintendo won't know? Or is this a 'never online again' switch or ...??? uh?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

As long as you didn't install anything unofficial on your system nand, you should probably be ok. But you should probably do this instead of the DNS thing just in case your IP config messes up and your DNS settings get wiped.

I really appreciate this post. I followed (and completed) the 'official' how to hack a switch guide though and I think I've already done some of this. Like I have already formatted my sd card and created a partition.

Is there a subset of this I can do?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

Oh whoops, I meant to link to this page.

https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM#exosphere

Doing that stuff will blank out your system ID so it isn't included in logs if your system does happen to access Nintendo servers, and the DNS stuff blocks Nintendo servers.

Aha! Thanks!

So I do that for the partition and leave my sysnand as normal with no dns stuff in my sysnand? Since I want my sysnand to work as normal with online / nintendo shop/etc?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo this is great. Got my switch fully hacked and uhh, yeah, I'm sure you can imagine what I'm doing with it. Playing games of course!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Got a new micro SD with more capacity and I've got a hacked partitioned 'emunand'? switch. What's the transfer method from my old SD card?

Edit: Found it under 'extras' on the switch hacks guide page. First I copied all of the games I could that were installed on the sd card on my 'normal' switch partition, to the internal memory, then I found out that I have an issue plugging my the switch microsd card that's formatted for the emunand, into my pc. it refuses to read it, or (previously) it would prompt me to format it every 20 seconds or so and the card would then disappear-reappear explorer, and close any windows browsing that sd card.

So I am doing the 'transfer from old SD card to your pc then copy those sd card contents to the new sd card' part by copying it via a USB cable from switch to pc then pc back to switch (if the pc can't read the new card either). it's claiming it will take four hours just for the first copy! Maybe I should have checked if my mac could read the sd card first, but, gently caress it.

edit: thank god the backup died after the switch went to sleep 10 minutes later. Tried the sd card in my macbook pro, it says it'll take 13 minutes to copy across (!!!!)

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 25, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm expecting a switch console ban but I don't know when. I changed SD card and backed up (there are 2 items to back up) one item with the checkbox on and one with it off, and restored them both later to my new SD card with the checkbox enabled, so when I booted up the switch it was in some hybrid 'half-hacked half-not hacked, CAN connect to nintendo' state. It connected and downloaded something. I nuked the SD card and did the change over correctly the next time, and that was about 3 weeks ago or more: I am still able to connect to the nintendo servers and download stuff in the stock firmware, and I've got CFW on my SD card (can't connect to nintendo servers on stock CFW) so it's now done correctly but there was a short time in which it was not.

Question about bans: will my entire account get nuked, or just the console? And does anyone have any input, like "you will 100% get banned" or "maybe you might not get banned, who knows"?

All that happened while I was briefly connected was it updated the switch snes games app, whatever it's called.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like I'm not banned, yet. the Switch wants me to do a system update. I have a hacked switch. If I do the update, is there any way of keeping my game progress on my cfw? Because I have to then replicate the base (sysnand?) again onto emunand, and the sysnand doesn't have any of my save progress.

edit: looks like I can't even download games without doing the system update first? Is that true? I did a system update a couple of months ago, and just tried to download Cult of the Lamb (which I just bought on the eshop) and it said 'unable to download some data as the system version is out of date'. So I suppose I'm poo poo out of luck until I do a system update? and then I assume all of my saves on the CFW are toast?

redreader fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 27, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I saw that there is in fact some save game saver! So that should be fine, if a bit of a pain. I'll look into the daybreak thing too, I don't think I'm using that at all.
Edit: hell yes

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 27, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
is there some kind of 'all in one' package that anyone recommends on switch for the latest atmosphere/hekate/sigpatches/etc? I know they exist but I want to know if anyone here actually uses/recommends one.

edit: Never mind! I have discovered so many things recently! I transferred from a 256gb sd card to a 512gb one, updated my system software (Still not banned!), downloaded all of my legit eshop games which I could only do on the new system software, and then updated the CFW's system software, then when it didn't launch I did need to get an all-in-one atmosphere with sigpatches to even boot into system firmware!

-backing up an SD card is fast, copying that data to another one is slow.
-I think my sd card reader is bad. If anyone can recommend a good one, please do. I have an anker USB sd/microsd stick and first I thought my pc was complaining because of the weird cfw partition, but it had trouble even reading a blank unformatted 512 (like, usb icon appears and disappears, I was not even able to format the drive in windows!)
-if you use macos to touch your sd cards, as I had to, you need to use a tool on hekate to 'fix bits' otherwise your games won't launch!
-my games and saves on cfw remained, no extra work/installation was needed.

I won't post links or anything but if you PM me I found a good discord that doesn't help with piracy, but DOES help with hacking wii/wii u/switch/etc etc. I also found a sigpatches thread on another forum which I needed to even launch atmosphere at all.

My 4 year old is SUPER into playing switch now. He went from 'can't do anything' a month ago, to defeating bosses in mario odyssey (Which I bought legitimately when I first got my switch). I was really worried at several steps in the process, that I might have messed everything up but thankfully it's all good.

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Something not mentioned in the 'update your system firmware' guide for the switch , that will definitely result in me getting banned:

If you update atmosphere just by copying the new one over the old one as guides suggest, it deletes the blocked servers list and allows you to connect to the nintendo servers again :) :) so I am somehow still not banned, but expecting it any day. I should really get to finishing A Link to the past / Super Metroid on the snes subscription thingie.