Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gimbal lock posted:

Splatoon would make a lovely battle royale because all you'd have to do is follow the trail of ink for the most part.

That would actually change the Battle Royale mechanics significantly, since camping/hiding would no longer be viable strats. They could also change it so that you have to certain amount of territory inked to stay alive, or maybe once it gets down to ten players the player with the most inked territory wins.

Basically I think Splatoon's unique gameplay elements could be a great way to change the Battle Royale model for the better, or at the very least make it more engaging.

That said multiplayer backend is crap and I don't see a game with twenty concurrent players, let alone fifty or a hundred working without something catching or fire or players being dropped.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've got a hacked 3DS and I've been playing Warioland 2 and I hate having to hold down Start to make sure it boots in original resolution instead of the terrible scaled bullcrap. Is there anything I can install to make it sure it always starts VC games in the original rez? I Googled a bit and didn't see anything.

[Edit: I thought maybe I could use a rom injector because that purportedly is able to boot to original rez automatically but the one game I injected and installed (Metal Gear Solid, not available for purchase through the eShop) doesn't appear to work. I was able to make the GBC border for that game Atomic Purple, though, which is awesome.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 18, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the devs ran Homebrew Manager on his normal Switch and the console got online banned (more details in the Twitter thread):

https://twitter.com/shinyquagsire/status/997934383855161344?s=21

I’m sure they’ll find a way around it happening in the future with CFW but Nintendo is really not loving around with hackers this time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I’m way more interested in a dual boot system than hacking the Switch’s default OS. Android would be ideal, but getting screen output through USB C and battery consumption down to a reasonable level seems kinda unlikely. We’ll probably see some kind of highly customized Linux variant geared towards emulation/Homebrew instead.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nintendo selects when to burn a fuse and it probably has a shitload. The 360's Xenon had like, 192 or something. The Switch appears to be at 6 burned as of 5.0.0.

This article claims that the Switch has 32 fuses. Typically the fuses have only been blown on a “major” release (with the exception of 2.3) and Nintendo has control of when a fuse is blown (obviously) so it’s not like there’s any risk of running out of fuses.

There are some interesting things that came to my mind when learning about that, though. For instance, it could be possible for someone to write code that blows a couple fuses. When, say, the 6.0 upgrade comes, it would check for seven blown fuses, see that eight are blown instead, and refuse to install, effectively blocking the updates on a hardware level.

And though it’s EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that they would go this route, if Nintendo decided that they wanted to force the majority of current Switch owners to trade in their current gen paperclip-hackable hardware for the upcoming revision they could use the fuses to do so.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 20, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

They're going to make it ignore the fuse check permanently

Is the fuse count actually something that could be bypassed/emulated in software?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It would be software checking to see how many fuses are blown, so you could modify the software to either not check, or always return the number you want/need

True, I guess someone could write something that intercepts the update, modifies the code that does the check, and then let it run.

But like I said I highly doubt that Nintendo would do anything WRT the fuses to try and stop hacks. Now if Switch batteries started exploding like the Galaxy Note 8 did, that might be the time for something desperate like that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone on Reddit claimed that Nintendo went through and banned all the people using unreleased/hacked weapons and octolings, though apparently people who only added chunks or legit gear to their save weren’t banned. Which I’m mostly ok with, there’s isn’t much you can do with chunks or legitimate weapons to give yourself a massive advantage. I guess if you hack your save to give all your gear the same trait like speeding up the special recharge time that might be a bit of an unfair advantage, but not a game-ruining one.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

New update 5.1.0 today, disables the sd card if you're in custom firmware

A modified build of Homebrew Loader is immune:

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1002062951434473473

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 31, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If we’re purely talking emulation, you can hack your Switch to emulate games without any risk of a banhammer via a Linux boot. Nintendo has no way of knowing that you’re doing that.

If you install Homebrew loader and run an emulator through that, Nintendo could potentially find out and ban you for it. They haven’t done that yet, and I don’t think they’ve banned anyone on the 3DS just for emulation, but they could.

If you do go the Linux route, be prepared for buggy poo poo and troubleshooting. We’re still in the early days, once a permanent dual boot solution is discovered I’m sure someone will make a stripped-down emulation focused Linux distro that is perfect for the Switch and that’s the day I shove a paper clip into my Joycon rail.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Waiting a few weeks might not even be enough, the 3DS bans happened months after the *haxs became easy/mainstream. I was really concerned that my 3DS was gonna be banned (the bans happened literally a week after I hacked my 3DS) but to this day I can still access the browser and friends list just fine so I guess I didn't do what everyone else did to get banned (from what I can tell it's because they installed a leaked version of a Pokemon game before the release date, which was just asking for trouble). And I've even done some sketchy , potentially bannable stuff, like downloading an eShop game through FreeShop just to see if it worked (it seemed to good to be true, I downloaded a game I had no interest in playing and immediately deleted it), running DS games through a flashcart, and ripping Pokemon Sun to my SD card from my cart (again, to see if I actually could).

At the end of the day an online ban from the 3DS wouldn't even really be more than a slap on the wrist for me, the only online game I ever played anyway was KI:U (sunk about thirty hours into the multiplayer). Getting online banned from the Switch would be MUCH worse, what with Splatoon, Fortnite, etc and the fact that the bans now remove eShop access (essentially giving banned hackers no choice but piracy, which is kinda amusing).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 6, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it seems kinda daunting when you read it but it’s actually really easy, it just takes a little time (and, if you’re on a firmware newer than 11.5, a $20 flashcard).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

A 20 dollar flash card that then opens up an entire library of games.

Oh yeah I wasn’t trying to downplay the value of a flashcard, but point out that they’re cheaper than they used to be (I think I paid $35 for my Acekard 2i back in the day for use with my DSi which actually ended up being a great long-term investment because it was one of the few cards that worked natively in Luma when I hacked my 3DS).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Does this work on the DSi XL as well?

Looks like it, you apparently need DSiMenu++ installed on the DSi. If you need a tutorial for hacking your DSi, here you go.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 20, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there a good guide to installing ndsbootstrap on 3DS? I think my twoline or whatever it’s called is broke

Check the comments here for instructions from migrating from TWLoader, you probably don't have TWLoader installed but the instructions should still work, https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/8wiktx/dsimenuplusplus_50/ (yes that's for DSiMenuPlusPlus but that's needed for ndsbootstrap to work and also includes ndsbootstrap). Basically copy the _nds folder to your 3DS' SD card (replace any files if you're prompted, you might already have an _nds folder), grab the three .cias and put them in the cias folder on your SD card, make sure you've got a test rom in on your SD card (path should be /roms/nds/, I recommend Super Mario 64 DS for testing), install the CIAs though FBI on the 3DS, and then run the Plus Plus Launcher.

I'm not too knowledgable about ndsbootstrap myself because I have an Acekard 2i, which despite being ancient as gently caress is one of the few flashcards that works out of the box with Luma. I'm testing in it on my 3DS right now.

[Edit: yup, this process works! Currently playing Picross3D on my 3DS through DsiMenuPlusPlus. Also it turns out that the rom path location doesn't really matter because DSiMenuPlusPlus has a built-in file browser. And if you hold down Select or Start while the rom boots it opens in the original res instead of stretching the game, just like if you were launching a DS game from a cart.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 21, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone been able to get Super Mario Land 2 DX to work on an NES classic? I can't figure out why it won't work.

I tried to put it on my SNES Classic and couldn’t get it to work either, there must be some issue with Gambette on the hardware (I haven’t tried playing the game on Gambette on PC, but I assume that it works).

Oddly enough though the game works perfectly when you inject it on the 3DS. In fact, the five or so GB/GBC rom hacks/hard to emulate games I’ve injected all work perfectly, even the Super Game Boy palette-locked, English-patched Picross 2 rom I have (which I honestly expected to fail). Nintendo did an amazing job with their GB emulator.

So I guess my advice is to play SML2DX on your 3DS?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The end game outcome here is that you'll need legitimately purchased titles in order to download games from Nintendo. Pirates will start having to do scene releases again.

[Edit: ok I did some more digging and have a better understanding of the situation. Basically the issue occurs when you use Freeshop to download a title, the eShop checks the license file against your account and if it doesn’t match (or doesn’t find one) you could get bant.

Similarity, ripped carts or previously illegitimately sourced games could conceivably do a check when they connect to the internet. So my cart rip of Pokémon Sun might phone home and snitch on me, but none of my injected roms will (because roms don’t go online). That’s an easy enough workaround (delete my cart rip and use my actual cart).]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 1, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They could be made to work for single-player titles that don't require network functionality. Those that do network checks could be cracked. The eShop could still be made to work as long as CFW hides illegitimate titles.

This, of course, is all an order of magnitude greater effort on the part of pirates than what was required on the 3DS in the past. It was foolish to think that you could long-term pirate games from NIntendo's own servers and use pirated copies for online multiplayer. The fact that either was possible for long time is it's own insanity.

I'm kind of surprised Nintendo is investing so much effort on the 3DS after all this time, but perhaps that suggests they really don't have an exit strategy for that platform.

Yeah, I updated my post, I misunderstood how the check worked (I thought the new firmware does a check whenever a game is launched).

So in my case, where I haven’t downloaded any games that go online via Freeshop (I actually haven’t downloaded any games, and don’t plan on it), my 3DS is fine. The Pokémon Sun cart rip might be an issue, but all I have to do there is delete it and use my cart.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 1, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am not a hacker, all this info in this post is sourced from Reddit/GBATemp/Twitter.

Basically, what’s happened is the 11.8 update (which Luma isn’t yet compatible with, so you shouldn’t update yet anyway) is that Nintendo added a license verification. That’s an issue for freeShop, because it uses title keys that you don’t own.

It is not yet enabled, but could be turned on at any point.

However, this license verification occurs when games are downloaded from Nintendo’s servers. So this effectively nerfs freeShop.

If you’ve already downloaded games, then it’s not an issue UNLESS the game has the ability to go online. There’s a decent chance that the license check (when enabled) will run again when a game accesses the internet. So if you downloaded, say, Kid Icarus: Uprising a year ago through freeShop AND connect online after license verification gets turned on, that verification will fail and your console will be banned. I’m guessing the same is also true if you access, say, a DLC menu in a game (though if you’ve already pirated a game you’re not gonna buy DLC for it, so this is a very edge scenario).

If you’ve installed any cart rips for game that have online access, the same thing is going to happen.

Piracy is still possible with, say, CIAngel because a license check is never run on those games (unless you go online in-game). Things like homebrew and injected roms are also fine. Basically, if it’s installed via FBI you’re good to go unless it’s a pirated game with online access.

Well, Nintendo might start banning consoles based off of your play history, but that’s always been a risk.

TL;DR: freeShop is effectively dead with this latest update, as are pirated games with online access. Other hack stuff is fine.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 1, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Where does CIAngel get games from?

From Nintendo's CDN.

To be honest I'm not 100% certain of the difference between CIAngel and freeShop that makes CIAngel immune to the license check from what I can tell, though, freeShop emulates the eShop's behavior ("Yo, CDN server, here's a license file for this game, can I download it please?") whereas CIAngel directly downloads the game, then provides the license file when you install it.

Yeah, I really don't know the difference between the two. But there is one, apparently! I don't understand how the 3DS's piracy check really works, there's a description here that's flying over my head a bit, but basically the takeaway is that freeShop is now detectable by Nintendo but CIAngel isn't.

[Edit: Ok, I think I understand the difference, and my first interpretation was mostly correct. Basically, freeShop uses the real eShop's behavior ("Hey, I want to download this game that I own, see, here's my license file!", the CDN spits out a .cia with said license file info embedded in it, the system checks to see if the license info in the downloaded file matches the license info on the system, and the game installs). However, CIAngel just downloads the raw file from the CDN, injects the license file after the fact, and then installs it using a homebrew install method. Nintendo still sees the request for the file from CIAngel in their server logs, but there's little-to-no personally identifying info sent to Nintendo when the request is made (whereas freeShop uses the real eShop's game download request system "nim", which is linked to your NNID, which is how they're now able to check if the license file you provided is listed in your purchase history).]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 1, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, I'm not sure if CIAngel will result in a ban or not. I guess it's too early to tell, as the verification hasn't been enabled yet. I can't believe I've spent the past two hours trying to figure this out.

Anyway, 11.8 doesn't kill Homebrew or injected roms, that's what matters to me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I spent a couple hours trying to get my Switch into RCM to boot Lakka for shits and giggles the other day but I’m apparently bad at bending paperclips, folding foil, and holding screwdrivers steady.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I replaced the Joycon casings the plus button on my right Joycon wouldn’t work reliably, I had to go back in and reseat the ribbon connectors and then it worked. I still don’t think the home button feels exactly right when I press it, but it works fine so I’ve left it as is.

It took me about three hours to do it, all said and done, and while I’m ultimately really happy with my Atomic Purple Switch I’m not in any rush to change the casings on my other two joycons.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't actually used it myself yet but I'm fairly certain that this tool is the recommended one for VC injection.

[Edit: Did Nintendo release an update to 5.5.2u? I'm using the update blocking DNS and this morning I was surprised to see that there's a system update that failed to download.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 2, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MagusDraco posted:

Wii U has a system update.

It was only to patch in GDPR compliance stuff and doesn't seem to have done anything to fix haxchi or the browser exploit.

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/1036766851294846976

Huh, the update attempted to install on my Wii U on Saturday, but it failed because I have them DNS blocked.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Among other things, I guess this means no more region switching shenanigans for cheap Mexican eShop games in your main profile.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

SNES emulation on PSP is and has always been garbage

Last time I checked it dropped frames even on the Vita.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is anything safe to do homebrew-wise without getting banned on Switch?

Putting a Linux distro on an SD card and booting into it should be safe.

Anything that mods the Switch's built-in OS (Horizon) has at least a small level of risk, as evidenced by RandomFerret getting banned because Retroarch crashed. The risk can be minimized with proper precautions (don't take your modded Switch online) but all it takes is one fuckup.

If you're gonna be doing poo poo with Horizon, don't do it on your main Switch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did some quick googling and it looks like there are hacks that allow you to connect a PS4 or Xbone controller but I couldn't find one for the Switch or Wii U Pro controllers, oddly enough.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Off the top of my head there's a few games that don't work on my EZ Flash--Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire and Minish Cap were two notable ones.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, the Switch really is the new Vita, isn't it?

Lakka is... pretty good for what's essentially a proof of concept. Having to SSH into it to connect to my Bluetooth speaker for sound is probably a deal breaker for most people, and Peace Walker was, unfortunately, a no-go.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh and Paper Mario TTYD freezes after the splash screen with Lakka. It's solid for GBA/GB/SNES emulation, though! As long as you don't enable any of the awesome handheld shaders built into Retroarch as they tank the frame rate. And don't mind the occasional screen tear.

…I'm not really selling this very well, am I.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was skeptical about the video because Android Q AFAIK only exists as a leaked build, no AOSP source available, but there are a bunch of Switch Homebrew devs who retweeted this so... weird.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 24, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

Yeah, it's real
Oh yeah for sure, I just wasn't expecting to see Q in the version number.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lineage OS (Android) for the Nintendo Switch is nearing public release.

I'm psyched for this. Being able to reboot my Switch in a decent little Android tablet will help make up for the lack of virtual console beyond NES and, yes, the lack of Netflix.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

Why would you even need a virtual console when retroarch exists

I'm not interested in loving around with Horizon. An Android install on the SD card completely bypasses Horizon and Nintendo's telemetry.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

Then use lakka, there's a pre-built image to download and has decent GameCube emulation

I've used Lakka and as much as I wanted that to work there's just too much that's still not implimented.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I picked up my PlayStation Classic from Best Buy and hacked it tonight. I haven't held a PSX controller in ages, are the ones that come with the PSC smaller than the original (it's probably just that I'm an adult now)?

Also I completely forgot that the included controllers are wired, but thankfully they're USB and I have a 6' USB extension cable, so that worked out nicely.

I slapped SOTN, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Tomb Raider on the console, and now the lineup's looking more like what it should have been. I'll probably toss Parappa and a Tony Hawk or two on there, but yeah, this was an insanely solid pickup for $20.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FiestaDePantalones posted:

What if the chances I could then use something like GEForce to play steam games on my switch?
It can.
https://twitter.com/switchroot_org/status/1140330254852120576?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crindee posted:

Look I ain't know nothin' 'bout no "GeForce," I just need someone to tell me if this means I might be able to turn my Switch into the portable New-Vegas-with-mods-machine I always secretly wanted it to be in the first place

As long as you have a computer to stream it from, yup! Just use Moonlight (which is also available through custom firmware/Homebrew, it's not Android-exclusive). I don't know if the Android Steam Link app will work, it... might?

First game I'm gonna stream to my Switch is gonna be Portal 2, personally.