Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Saoshyant posted:

Is Wii U currently hackable with the latest firmware? I updated a couple of months ago or so and then learned the exploit at the time didn't work on the newer firmware, but there was a hub-hub about the crunchyroll app being a possible entry point and for people to download it (I did so) and then haven't looked into the matter anymore.

There's a new web exploit but it's not as stable so it'll take more attempts to get working than with 5.5.1. Haxchi still works though and is still stable so your best bet is to have everything prepared for a haxchi install beforehand, run the web exploit and hope you get into the homebrew launcher (if not, try again til you do), and then install haxchi onto Brain Age/some other DS title you buy from the eshop that Haxchi works on. Brain Age is usually the cheapest but definitely check before you go off and buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

What does soft modding mean? I'm still reading through the site in the OP and educating myself before I give this a proper whirl. Thanks!

Soft modding means modding a console via software exploits without the use of a hardware mod (which involves soldering something to the console, usually)

edit: beaten

edit 2: For example. A software mod would be most of the stuff going on in this thread or using tom clancy's splinter cell on an original xbox or like flashing the dvd drive of a 360 with a different firmware that lets you pirate games.

A hardware mod is something like soldering a modchip to your ps2/soldering stuff to the nand on a 3ds and writing stuff to it (or whatever you did for hard mod hacking a 3ds on the latest firmwares before new software exploits like ntrboot showed up)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 28, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I hacked my Wii U sometime earlier this year, before Nintendo dropped whatever the last update was. I've got Haxchi and the Homebrew Channel installed, am I able to update my Wii U and various games, as well as open my internet connection back up to play online?

Also, is vWii hacking just as easy as the rest? Emulators on Wii U are garbage; I did some looking around a couple weeks ago and I think they have access to Wii U Pro Controllers and the Gamepad now, in Wii mode?

So long as you have haxchi installed you can update to 5.5.2 without issue. We're mostly in the clear with respect to updates breaking stuff. There's a chance we'll get one when zelda gets the second season pass dlc but other than that looks like they're done updating the wii u.

hacking vWii is just following a guide. As for getting things like the wii u pro controller, etc working in vWii mode I don't know much about that but probably has something to do with making vWii forwarder channels on the wii u system menu. I'm not sure though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 30, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

http://www.nds-card.com/ worked for me. Some have had issues with credit cards being compromised but paying them with PayPal should be safe. I got my R4 in less than a week from them.

Yeah I used them too and paid via Paypal. I ordered shortly after NTR Boot was released though so it took me about 3 weeks to get my R4.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Mailer posted:

Random googling has led to opinions that rednand may be no longer needed on WiiU so the 64GB card required for my black console may no longer be needed. Is this fact or is the answer to shut up and buy a drat 64GB card?

The answer is I never used rednand in the first place and I've been fine. So. Do what you want. Odds are 5.5.3 isn't going to happen unless it drops with BOTW DLC 2 so nintendo has stopped trying to patch the wii u and all you really need is a haxchi install and everything should be fine unless 5.5.3 actually happens and breaks haxchi. 5.5.2 didn't break haxchi.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How is PS1/2 emulation these days?

PS1 is fine. You can go with some basic ps1 emulator that just does stuff relatively perfectly or you can use epsxe and throw in plugins and try upscaling stuff, etc. Games work fine generally.

PS2 is still a little bit behind dolphin/wii with some games not working in hardware mode right/parts of games not working in hardware mode right. However they got mipmapping working properly on the nightly branch so you can finally play ace combat 5 and ace combat zero in hardware mode with upscaling (though ace combat zero has pre-mission menu bugs in hardware mode).

Still some imperfections here and there on games when upscaling/hardware mode causing odd issues depending on the game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wow, these posts just showed how out of date I am with the Wii U stuff. The only thing I know about my setup is that I did something with my Mario 64 DS VC game that turned it into a haxchii logo, and when I click it, it says it's loading MochaCFW. However looking at the GBATemp guide, it specifically says that MochaCFW is for people who don't want to use a DS VC title to launch it :psyduck:

Should I just start this whole thing over from scratch? Or is it trivial to remove MochaCFW and switch to CBHC?

Well you have the option of using MochaCFW or Haxchi FW via Haxchi. If Mocha is already set up right (you can run the homebrew channel launcher/other things installed via wupinstaller) there's not much of a reason to change it? Someone else who knows more could answer this one.

CBHC just makes the wii u run haxchi when it boots after being shut off instead of running the system menu. Haxchi then runs Haxchi FW or something else (MochaCFW) and that boots into the patched system menu

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

RedMagus posted:

I am not sure if someone has answered this succinctly, but what is the major reason for not being able to run DS games on the system except via flash cart? Is it a hardware block or just the fact that you have to drop out of the native 3DS system into a DS OS?

Both? It's a thing where they have to get ds mode to redirect to the 3ds sd card when a ds doesn't have a sd card and that is a very hard problem to solve effectively.

They have some games working, some partially working, etc. Some still overwrite the saved game of the cartridge in your 3ds too.

You are generally better off buying a $20 ds flash cart so you can get full compatibility.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Wait how do I upgrade to this

I've updated Luma but I don't see anything about Rosalina anywhere

if you're on the newest luma L+Down+Select is the default to bring up the Rosalina menu.

It has various neat things that it can do. https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Rosalina

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

My Wii U is hacked and on 5.5.1. Can I update to 5.5.2 and not lose any hacks? My system keeps trying to update it and I just keep pulling the power cord.

Did you install inject haxchi into a DS game? If yes you can update.

If you're on rednand system menu stuff it may break horribly though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 29, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

So I can update to 5.5.2? Do I update "inside" rednand? Sorry if I am using the wrong terms, I still have old 3ds hacking terms in my head.

Oh if you installed Rednand that complicates things/I have no idea.

I remember Rednand installs sometimes just breaking when they updated but there was no real rhyme or reason which ones would or wouldn't.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was going to try to Homebrew my friend's New 3DS, but he has at at the current firmware. I saw that it requires the boot9strap install, that needs two 3DSes and some dsiware. Didn't they close the DSiware store? Is there an easier way?

Yeah you can use the ntrboot route instead. https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

You're going to need to buy a ds flashcart though

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Really anything on that list works. The main issue is finding a place to buy one. The nds-card website recommended by the guide worked for me when I bought something but I highly recommend doing it via paypal even though I think you have to email someone and put the money in some "unrelated" email account 'cause reasons.

I just remember shortly after NTRBoot came out and someone used stripe on the nds-card website they had their credit card info stolen so I don't trust not using paypal there

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah I guess I should have said there's several cards on that list that are "time bombed" which means if they detect the date on your console is X they won't work anymore. Probably should avoid those even if you save like $5

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I don't think there will be a problem. Since that's a powered enclosure wii u won't have to try to power the hdds so it'll see them. You'll have to do that thing where the wii u ignores the wii and gcn hdd in wii u mode or it'll ask you to format it each time you power the console on.

I'm just running my wii u hdd stuff off of a 256 gig usb stick and put the wii and gcn stuff (but haven't used it much so don't know about load times) on a sd card. edit: Mainly did this because I'm low/out of plugs behind the tv where the wii u is at so don't have the space for wall powered hdd enclosures

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Wait how do you do this?

You setup UStealth

Not all Wii/vWii Homebrew work with it since the drive is actually hidden from the wiiu so you may have to use a different usb loader. I know usbloader gx works with it.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

What does this mean for me, someone who has a Wii U and wants to mod it but was waiting for a less janky method than the DS game thing.

Eventually a slightly less janky alternative would be using a modified vWii channel to boot into CFW when the console turns on. Everyone's been preoccupied with switch hacking though so no one's spent the time to get something like this working

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Hi, super dumb question. Do I need a flash card with a New 3DS to be able to emulate normal DS games well? The guides in the OP didn't say this outright.

Yes and no.

Yes if you want to be able to play all DS games on your 3DS

No if the DS game you want to plays works with those couple homebrew things that let you run DS games from your sd card but you still need a compatible DS/3DS cartridge in the slot and that save game will be overwritten and used by the DS game you're emulating. Basically it's a hassle and you're still better off with a DS Flashcart even if they've made some improvements to the compatibility in the past couple months.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Should I go ahead and have my Wii U or is there a fresh exploit on the horizon? Does it disable online play or does everything work fine like on a modded Wii?

Get Haxchi installed on your Wii U (Injected into a viable DS game you purchased) and you're good to update to 5.5.2 since it doesn't look like Nintendo's ever going to update the Wii U again.

Really you can still install haxchi on 5.5.2 but the web browser exploit usually takes more attempts to get working than on 5.5.1 so if you don't have a suitable DS game you can just update to the latest wii u FW and be fine. There may be some more wii u stuff on the horizon but right now the majority of the people who were working on wii u hacks are working on the switch instead.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cool.

So we got as far as having to try to open the Homebrew Launcher through the browser. I must have tried twenty times before giving up.

yeah it's kind of unstable and that's why people recommend you to buy a ds game and install haxchi fw so you can use that to exploit the wii u (and install a homebrew launcher channel and other stuff) so you don't have to use the browser exploit.

It'll still take a lot of tries but eventually it should work.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The way I did it the homebrew launcher icon is on the screen permanently but won't work (it'll crash or whatever) until you run haxchi fw after turning the wii u on. Coldboot haxchi would solve that problem (by forcing the wiiu to run haxchi instead of the sytem menu when you boot the wii u) but I haven't felt like setting it up.

No reason not to, just lazy

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wii U Homebrew question. Is the SD card still needed after the hacking process is done? Is the Wii U able to boot without it? Is the SD card used to inject games?

SD card is needed to tell haxchi what to do, run homebrew apps, install stuff (channels, games, etc) to the wii u.

You kinda need the SD card.

edit: Also I'm not 100% positive about the SD card being needed to tell haxchi what to do but I know there's a configuration file for haxchi on the sd card.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Keito posted:

The config file is for telling Haxchi to launch some app on the SD card instead of applying patches when holding down the buttons you specify, but neither that file or an SD card is needed to boot "CFW".

Good to know. What about if you setup coldboot haxchi? That's also just dependent on there being a haxchi injected DS game and doesn't care about the SD card?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

repiv posted:

AFAIK they never figured out exactly how Nintendo flagged hacked systems, but it definitely wasn't limited to people who played unreleased games. I never played any games before launch and still got banned.

To my knowledge most of the bans/banwaves were from people playing unreleased games. However, there was one banwave that no one had any clue as to why it happened and people still don't know what flagged those consoles.

Still there also hasn't been a banwave like that since.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

My friend wanted me to hack his Old 3DS XL but it looks like it is way harder now than it was when I did mine with the music hack. I probably just won't do it because it looks like the easiest way is to transfer it from a different 3ds or something? Yeesh.

Technically the easiest way is to buy a $20 flashcart but yeah if it's up to date you have to do a file transfer from a hacked 3ds to the unhacked one and you'll lose the nnid on the hacked one

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just wanted to check in with goons, since I trust you people more than some random message board from years and years ago: I have a soft-modded Wii, everything runs fine, but I want to access the Wii Shopping channel and get all of my previously-purchased stuff before it's shut down for good. It asks me to update every time I access it, so I went looking for a solution.

Is this guide accurate?

http://justplainobvious.blogspot.ca/2013/04/how-to-update-wii-shopping-channel-v21.html

That guide looks like it's correct. You could use NUS Downloader to get the Wii Shopping Channel v21 instead if you didn't trust the mediafire link but that blogpost got posted around a decent amount so I'm gonna assume it's fine.

I was a little confused at first why IOS62 wasn't mentioned in the guide since it gets installed along with this shop channel when you update normally but nintendo never made anything use IOS62 so whatever, it's not important.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The Lobster posted:

OK, it worked when I used my old 1GB SD card. Will copying those files back over to the 32GB card make the Homebrew Channel disappear or is it on my system forever? I have far too many WiiWare and VC titles to fit on a puny 1GB card.

It's on your system forever.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah and if the company follows through with account and/or console bans that turns more people off of it.

Kind of amazed they didn't just ban more 3dses. Nintendo's kinda lenient compared to Sony and Microsoft unless you're doing blatant cheating that they can easily see and/or playing a game online pre-release.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Spacebump posted:

What do I need to own to mod my Wii U? I assume at least an hd and maybe SD card.

SD card. Good Usb stick or usb hdd with external power or a y cable. Also need to buy a specific ds game

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was literally about to ask what the best way to play Paper Mario:TTYD was, with not having any GC controllers. Thanks!

Yeah this is still probably a better option since Dolphin has one or two problems with TTYD still, I think.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Keito posted:

Is there a way to launch Nintendont directly from the Wii U menu without losing real GC controller support via the USB adapter?

It should work with the GC controller adapter regardless unless it's the Mayflash 2 controller adapter which does not work for some reason per random posts on gbatemp. The official adapter and the Mayflash 4 controller adapter work fine with nintendont

edit: like the reason nintendont works with the wii u pro controller and gc controller adapter and stuff is because they put drivers into the nintendont app for all of that stuff. I'm guessing the Mayflash 2 port adapter is just different enough to cause problems/not work right.

They also coded usb hid support so you can use other controllers (ps3, ps4, handful of logitech gamepads, 360 wired, 360 with the pc wireless adapter only. 360 wired won't work, etc) but you have to set the buttons up yourself like in an emulator.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 10, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendont isn't intended to be used as a launcher. I don't know about WiiU, but USB Loader GX on Wii hooks into Nintendont to launch games directly.

Right this is also true. Nintendont is intended to be used by the usbloaders though wii flow and cfg loader need forked versions. The regular releases don't work

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

There's a program called Wii U USB Helper that lets you boot gamecube roms from the Wii U menu directly without having to go through Nintendont/wii menu.

This also exists but the person that created it isn't developing the software anymore and if you were on the latest version you get this message and can't use the program.

edit: If you had installed an older version and had not updated yet, it still works fine

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 10, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Does Nintendon't stream GC games to the Gamepad?

Yes but you gotta jump through some hoops and set up a Wii U VC forwarder and use a modified boot.dol and that's beyond me/I've never tried it.

It doesn't seem too terribly hard but I'm not sure if you can use usbloaders to run nintendont too, probably have to run nintendont without the loaders which limits you to playing games via the SD Card on your wii u which will probably give longer load times compared to a usb hdd.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-on-wii-u-virtual-console-injecting-games.483007/page-59#post-7579163

Alternatively like yeah you can create per game Gamecube Wii U VC forwarders with wii u usb helper and that should also work/you can do it without wii u usb helper but it's slightly involved.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 10, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

This stuff is the gamepad fully working, I believe/if a video of when it was first figured out is to believed.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

Connect two switches together to make a 2ds!

You joke but https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/nintendos-new-multi-screen-multi-touch-patent-concept-is-very-very-nintendo/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Can you just straight up pirate games on the WiiU at this point?

I'm talking:
Download a WiiU iso.
Put it on a HDD
Play that iso directly

No wink-wink nudge-nudge homebrew/backups. I want to know if you can pirate WiiU titles and play them.

I traded my WiiU and all my games in to get a Switch on the cheap, so if you can just pirate games now I might look at buying a second hand WiiU down the track

Yes. You have to put it on the wii u hdd via the wii u sd card and a homebrew program that installs titles to your wii u like they're a digital game, but yeah stuff works fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

My online Pokemon experience :negative:

That was doomed back when the save editor showed up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a few days ago because it meant save editors are gonna be a thing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Infinitum posted:

What's this? :nyoron:

Very WIP mk8d save editor: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-8-deluxe-save-editor.503543/

3ds and switch save backup/restore Homebrew: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-checkpoint-a-fast-and-simple-save-manager-for-3ds-and-switch.503899/

Checkpoint needs the Homebrew launcher and works on 5.02.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 14, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm still confused as to why all the guides say to use a different hdd for wiiu and wii/gc games but I'm too scared to try not to

Because the wii u hard-drive is formatted by the system into a special file system and there are no tools to turn it into a multi-partition drive/make it so you can use it for both Wii U and Wii/GC stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Infinitum posted:

OK I am a big dumb idiot on firmware 11.4.0-37E.

According to the guide it looks like I need a flashcart to put NTRBoot on

Could also do the seedminer method if you have a friend with a hacked 3ds and a decent gpu to do part of it (or don't and just want to wait oh someone to get to you on the queue.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 16, 2018