Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm interested in hacking my Switch solely for emulation purposes. If I just use Lakka and nothing else (so no cfw or homebrew) what are the chances I get banned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Very very low, when you never touch the Horizon OS. Can't rule it out completely, but it's as safe as it gets when you don't boot into Nintendo's firmware at all to do your thing, which i assume Lakka doesn't (it's one of those linux packages, right?)

Correct, it's a linux thing so in theory it wouldn't interact with Horizon at all. I buy most of my Switch games through the eshop, so I'm a tad paranoid about getting banned.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bank posted:

I picked up a Wii U and going through the motions to install CBHC on it. As I'm doing that, I'm realizing how much I hate the Wii U controller. I have a Wiimote at home but what are the recommended controllers for it? Should I buy a Wii U pro controller?

I plan on playing mostly Wii and GCN on it.

Pro controller is a solid choice, that thing is way more comfortable to use than wiimote or tablet.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

N64/Gamecube virtual console when, let me throw money at you ninty

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

lol if you don't just cfw every console you own and put on dozens of full back catalogues of emulated consoles "in case I want to play it" and then stick it in a drawer and forget about it for years

how dare you call me out in this fashion

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

You don't need to solder the battery in, just wrap the battery+contacts in electrical tape. That's what I did when I replaced the battery in my Crystal cart and it worked fine.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I've not tried the Wii U but the Wii was piss-easy to put homebrew on and a very good experience overall.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

hatty posted:

you just need to find every Green Star, get every Stamp, and reach the top of the flag pole on every level. Beating all the levels with each character just gets you a fifth shiny star on your save slot which while tempting isn't worth playing as Peach with her floaty nonsense jump

Excuse you peach's floaty nonsense jump solves so many platforming problems and is cool and good.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Now that I have the new fancy oled switch I can go to town on my old one without fear of being without a switch if I break it. Anyone have recommendations for jigs and whatnot I can use to get things started?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I was going to ask for recs, thanks!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I recommend this guide. I hacked my Vita, two 3DS consoles (old and new), and my Wii U (twice) using the guides on this site, without ever having any problems or suspicious files.

Seconding this guide, I've hacked two 3DSes and a switch using this guide and it's been easy and free of bad files.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

LizzieBorden posted:

SD card poo poo the bed. New SD card has arrived. Can I just copy by back up folder on to it after I've formatted it and pop it in?

Yup! You may need to pop it into the console first to initialize the card or whatever but you should just be able to copy over your old stuff.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If you get banned it will almost certainly just be a console ban. Account bans are really only given out for cheating in an online game. Your chances of a console ban are pretty much dependent on what was on there that would be noticeably different. Did you have non-official stuff as icons on the home menu? Did you have any hacks or mods installed, even texture mods? If not, then you're probably okay, but these things are never certain.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

What is the easiest way to merge multi-disk BIN files for emulator use? For PSIO, it's relatively easy because I have the PSIO system console for that, but it can be a bit fiddly, and it doesn't always merge things in a way that makes them readable by more generic emulators like Retroarch.

If the emulator supports it, making a .m3u file (use this tutorial) is the easiest way.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I have various hacked consoles, including a cfw capable switch. I also have a steam deck. What would be the best way to play 3DS games on a big screen? Assume I'd be playing games that don't need touch controls.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Deck has a big screen for a handheld but if you mean an actual TV set, then you can also dock it there. Citra will play nearly everything in the 3DS catalogue pretty well. Check the EmuDeck stuff.

Edit: adding a video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwO7P9u1Xag

Thank you for this, been meaning to look into EmuDeck.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I use Citra via EmuDeck on the Steam Deck and can confirm that it's great. Always found the Switch screen just a bit too small and the performance wasn't always great. Deck is perfect.

This is excellent to hear. Can you give any detail on games you played and how they ran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is hacking an OLED switch easy enough? I probably should have kept my launch switch to hack but the battery life was so trash....and the OLED is such a pretty screen...

There is currently no way to software hack an OLED switch. You can search around and see if hardware mods are available but chances are pretty slim of you getting anywhere with it without a lot of difficulty or a lot of money. Should've kept the launch one.