Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If you buy a N3DS XL today, will it be hackable?

Only asking because Amazon just announced a US SNES-style n3ds xl and I wanna buy it. Would be ironic if I can't use it for all my SNES roms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

It might not be hackable purely with software (the limit for that is firmware 11.3.0 currently) but literally any unit can be hacked using an original DS flashcart and ntrboot.

Woah that's awesome! I did not know what was the case. Thank you!

edit: Where are the guides if using a DS flashcart? The only guide I see talks about a system transfer.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...I had glossed over this the first time, but I have an R4 (that's pushing ten years old now) and a small magnet and a New 3DS XL. Nice.

Me too. Thanks, repiv! No clue why the guide does not link you to that with a thing saying "if you have a DS flash cart, click here". I never saw that page on the site. Thanks again!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know this isn't a Nintendo console, but I couldn't figure out where else to post this. The PS3 has been completely hacked as of today, with no need for a 47 wire NAND mod that only a surgeon can install. It can be done entirely via the web browser!

http://www.psx-place.com

Now me being mentally ill I purchased a PS3 the day it came out in 2006 and left it in my closet untouched for several years knowing one day I would need to be on an old firmware to hack it if a hack ever came out. So my system is already hacked. However, I am so happy at this news because I like it when other people are made happy by things that made me happy (a hacked PS3). Get yourself a 60GB or 20GB fat PS3 for cheap and no matter what the firmware version it has installed, you can run any and every PS1, PS2, and PS3 game right from an external (or internal; or both) hard drive!

Glad I could spread the good news and that more people can join me on the awesomeness that is a hacked fully-BC PS3!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sharktamer posted:

OK cool but what the gently caress is that site and what is up with those "instructions"? Do you have a link that actually makes sense?

That is pretty much the first place it was posted at, so there really isn't a better guide. I didn't really read it because my PS3 is already hacked (no joke I actually bought one on launch and kept it sealed until a hack came out) so really have no reason to read the guide. But it seems like it has to be a fat PS3 (which is what you should be using anyway; unless it's the worthless Metal Gear Solid one with zero PS2 compatibility) so the guide does not work for the slim or super slim just yet. Only the fats. Anyway, it seems like you need to set your phone as a hotspot and do some shenanigans so that the web browser can load the files needed.

Now you can see why Nintendo did not ship the Switch with a web browser.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So ANY fat ps3 will work? My local pawn joint always has a few hanging around. Now I guess I have an excuse to grab one.

Aren’t the fat ones also the most unreliable ones?

Any fat PS3 will work, yes. You will want to try and get a 60gb or 20gb one so you can rip PS2 games to the hard drive.

The fat PS3s are pretty unreliable, yes. The launch one that I kept sealed in a closet I actually opened up and replaced the thermal paste as a precaution. There aren't many more precautionary fixes that I am aware of. I did some precautionary stuff to the original XBox 360s (replaced the x-clamps with bolts) and out of the 17 I did that to, zero have failed (friends and family and mine so they'd tell me if it ever red ringed). I wish I knew what was the best course of action for the fat PS3. I think those ridiculous clamps they use for the heatsinks is really dumb as well (puts ridiculous pressure on the motherboard but I am not sure what to replace it with).

Anyway if you truly are worried you can get a kit on ebay that will replace all the lead-free solder with lead solder, so it's way less likely to crack. The failures of the PS3 are identical to the 360: too much heat + idiotic heatsink clamps + lead-free solder = GPUs and CPUs detaching themselves from the motherboard.

I am not sure if the leaded solder kit on eBay is difficult to do. I actually bought a 2nd PS3 from a guy on eBay who specializes in using lead solder because I was worried about that very thing. For what it's worth, my lead-free 60GB PS3 has never failed.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

While we’re on the subject of non-Nintendo console hacking, what can you do with first gen 360s these days? I just picked one up due to that crazy promotion GameStop did for today.

From what I understand, you can do a JTAG to them if you are on an old enough firmware. The JTAG I believe is considered to be the best hack because it has a 100% success rate of working, and requires very little in the way of a modchip to operate. I had an OG 360 on an old dashboard and I hosed up soldering the points because they ripped right off the motherboard with almost no effort. So I never got to JTAG it. I found another 360 on an old kernel/dashboard and since it was a different revision, the solder points were way easier. I JTAGed that one just fine. It basically lets me boot up an alternate dashboard if the USB stick is in.

Oddly enough it is recommended to use the Microsoft dashboard for ripping and playing games from the hard drive (it obviously won't check if the disc is in the drive). I almost never go to the alternate dashboard (called Freestyle Dash).

This was a long time ago but reset-glitch hack (RGH) is seen as a much less reliable mod. Supposedly you have to keep rebooting the system for it to work. I am not sure if this is still the case. But it is compatible with a lot more systems than the JTAG method.

It's such a shitshow trying to look up XBox 360 modchips (not really mod chips but ways to program the NAND) that I would absolutely love it if someone in this thread had a more comprehensive guide or info that wasn't from 2009.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Mine was MGS4 bundle (admittedly, the first wave of it) and has hardware BC?

Sony were being deliberately confusing back then as far as I am concerned. The first shipment of the Metal Gear Solid 80 GB fats had partial PS2 compatibility (they removed the emotion engine) but later shipments of the MGS bundle got rid of PS2 compatibility entirely. I remember people flipping the hell out that the only warning about this was a tiny strip of text on the back of the box near the copyright info.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I thought the gunmetal grey MGS PS3s were the "bad" ones (they were also 40gb, iirc) I don't remember the black 80gb ones not working.

yeah ALL the 40gb systems removed PS2 compatibility.

SOME 80gb units could do partial PS2. Some 80gb units could not play PS2 games at all. It was such a goddamn confusing time

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

African AIDS cum posted:

Awesome, I got a PS3 with a broken DVD drive a few months ago and havent had a chance to even hook it up. Its an 80 gb Motorstorm bundle system so is that the fat kind? I have no clue

Yep, the motorstorm PS3 will play PS2 games via partial emulation.

Just be warned with the broken drive that a lot of PS3 games won't work. The reason is a good number of them require a PS3 game be in the drive (any game). What happens is you go to the MultiMan homebrew program and then select which PS3 game you want to play. Then it kicks you back to the main PS3 menu and you go to where the disc usually is and instead of whatever game you have in there, the game you chose in MultiMan shows up. I think some PS3 games will work without a disc in the drive but from what I understand a lot won't. If you can somehow cram a single disc in there you will be smooth sailing (unless your issue is the laser won't read).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

I thought Cobra had bumped discless compatibility up to 100%?

Honestly I haven't heard the name Cobra since that USB device they made a bunch of years ago. Is there a different method of running games rather than Multiman that does not need a disc in the drive?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

It's the very same Cobra. I think the developer decided to release/leak the code without the DRM dongle dependency when the product was more or less abandoned, and its functionality has since been integrated into other CFW like Rebug.

multiMAN has a Cobra mode called mmCM where it can hook into this, but I myself and probably many others prefer webMAN these days.

webMAN is a plugin that gets loaded on system startup which launches up a web server for choosing games and configuring it, but also populates a menu right in the XMB where you can load PS1/2/3 games directly. There are also some button combinations to switch between recent games and stuff like that, but I could never manage to remember them for very long.

Presentation wise it's barbones compared to multiMAN but it's so much faster to mount games without having to leave the menu. The last selected game also gets auto mounted on launch which is really nice.

Oh that's awesome. I gotta check that out! How is compatibility? I always have to do something wacky in MultiMan to get games working like check off that it's running from USB or redo all the file permissions or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sharktamer posted:

OK cool but what the gently caress is that site and what is up with those "instructions"? Do you have a link that actually makes sense?

I wrote up a whole guide of the steps I followed to mod a spare PS3 I had so hopefully it will help you out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841665&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post478724580

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

Compatibility is 100% as far as I'm aware, it has been in my experience so far anyway. Haven't had to fiddle with any settings since moving to COBRA and webMAN.

Games with big files split I think you still can't use without caching them to the internal drive or moving the whole game over, but what you apparently can do with COBRA is directly mount split ISOs on FAT32 formatted external storage. Think I'm going to try that soon for my split games as they've been a hassle with very little internal storage to work with.

NTFS support is also a thing, but it seems a bit more fiddly and only supports ISO format. You can also mount games from network shares.

Just wondering but why does everyone still recommend rebug? Even the latest guides.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just got done hacking my DSi using the guide someone posted in this thread. It was the funniest loving hack ever and I have been modding consoles since the PS1 days. You had to have Flipnote Studio installed (thankfully I did) but then you had to add these files to the SD card, load them into Flipnote Studio, and copy and paste them exactly 122 times. Not 121, and not 123. 122. Then you had to exit the program and the hack would work. I don't know why I found it so loving funny but I was laughing my rear end off when it worked. I guess just the absurdity of it. My 2nd favorite hack ever was the original Wii hack where it loaded when you jumped off of Epona or something in Twilight Princess.

Anyway after doing the hack I learned that there was nothing else to do but wait. The actual hack isn't even out yet. All I did was get my DSi down to an exploitable firmware.

I hope the hack coming out doesn't require an eShop purchase because Nintendo got rid of the DSi e-shop earlier this year.

Anyway the only thing I want the hack for is to be able to play Zelda 4 Swords on my DSi XL with big beautiful pixels like God intended

Zenostein posted:

Thanks for this, though.

You're welcome. It's the first time I ever wrote a guide like that so let me know if anything is confusing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s also some weird screen burn-in issues with games like the GBA F-Zero series but they’re fine if you play them with a filter enabled.

I would absolutely love the technical explanation for this

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a way you could have both a Wii/GameCube hard drive and a WiiU hard drive plugged in at the same time. Or a single hard drive that supports both. That would be awesome.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

Can't you put the vWii one in the back and use that UStealth thing to remove format nag on boot?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

WilliamAnderson posted:

I mean, you could just use injections of them into WUPs. Wii ones work great, I've had issues with gamecube ones, but a 64 GB SD card makes up for that.

Wow, these posts just showed how out of date I am with the Wii U stuff. The only thing I know about my setup is that I did something with my Mario 64 DS VC game that turned it into a haxchii logo, and when I click it, it says it's loading MochaCFW. However looking at the GBATemp guide, it specifically says that MochaCFW is for people who don't want to use a DS VC title to launch it :psyduck:

Should I just start this whole thing over from scratch? Or is it trivial to remove MochaCFW and switch to CBHC?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

Well you have the option of using MochaCFW or Haxchi FW via Haxchi. If Mocha is already set up right (you can run the homebrew channel launcher/other things installed via wupinstaller) there's not much of a reason to change it? Someone else who knows more could answer this one.

CBHC just makes the wii u run haxchi when it boots after being shut off instead of running the system menu. Haxchi then runs Haxchi FW or something else (MochaCFW) and that boots into the patched system menu

Thank you for all this. Yeah I guess I just wanted CBHC so it boots instantly.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is only Nintendo-adjacent, but I’m hoping this thread has the answer. Cross posted from the retro thread:

My local meijer has all these cool looking retro portables for $20 or $30 depending on the model. A very cursory google says they’re filled with knock off and public domain games.

I’m wondering if these can be hacked to run real 8 or 16 bit roms? I’m a sucker for the handheld form factor (especially the GBA and DMG formfactors) and color screen but it’s not really worth the cost unless they can run real games.

Anyone know about these or know if they’re hackable? Google is weirdly returning forum posts from 2005, so I’m guessing these share a name with a different system?

OK this is hilarious because I just bought the mini arcade cabinet one yesterday while I was at Target because they had them for $8 there (looked like they were clearing them out).

The weird thing I noticed was how much I love the screen. I expected one of those deals where everything is running at the wrong aspect ratio and wrong resolution but no, it's oddly great looking. I wish I could explain exactly what I mean but it's razor sharp and low resolution in a good way. Reminds me of the GBA Micro screen even though it's bigger, if that makes sense.

I can crack it open sometime next week and see if there's a USB port somewhere or something

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Olivil posted:

So we know the 3DS has, inside its DS hardware, what's needed to run GBA games natively. Does the DSi (XL) possess that same hardware? I know it has no GBA slot, but with the DSi CFW that may release soon, is there a possibility we'll be able to play GBA games natively? Really interested in that big screen.

Holy poo poo this would be awesome

Fun fact, all DSi XLs have dual IPS screens.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Really? That’s disappointing that Nintendo cheaped out on that for 3DS and only a random selection of those got IPS.

Yup. I returned my snes edition to Amazon. I'm not paying $200 for a shittier screen than my launch unit.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, a CFW for the DSi is coming? In what is nearly 2018?

It's not out yet exactly. Ask me about how I felt after spending two hours downgrading the firmware only for the guide to suddenly end.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I lucked out and my launch N3DSXL has it. I know people in the main 3DS thread act like it’s crazy to care if it’s IPS but it’s such a huge upgrade from the lovely TN screens.

One goon in that thread made it like I personally insulted his mother. My guess is people are defensive for getting a TN panel but the difference is loving night and day. I tried to like the snes 3ds xl but I saw motion blur trailing behind the sprites in Shovel Knight and I sent that poo poo right back.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

m2pt5 posted:

I can second and verify this, it took me maybe 5 minutes to go from A9LH to B9S.

The Rosalina menu in the newer builds of Luma is great, if only so you can see the actual remaining battery percentage, even while in a game without going to the home screen. (The 3DS battery meter is stupid - if I remember correctly, 4 bars means >60%, 3 is 30-60%, 2 is 10-30%, 1 is 5-10%, and no bars + blinking red light is <5%.)

Wait how do I upgrade to this

I've updated Luma but I don't see anything about Rosalina anywhere

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
In case anyone in here hacks their Vita, I just want to save you a ton of time. I bought a 200gb microSD card for mine and wooloo recommended formatting the card to exFAT. Big mistake. For whatever reason, even though when plugged into my PC the Vita shows it has 72 gigs free, the Vita itself only sees like 11 gigs free. Formatting the card to Fat32 completely fixed the issue. Not sure why exFat would cause this issue, but it did. Just wanted to save some goons the aggravation of having to dump all your stuff to a PC and then back to the Vita again after the format conversion. It took me like 7 hours.

havenwaters posted:

if you're on the newest luma L+Down+Select is the default to bring up the Rosalina menu.

It has various neat things that it can do. https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Rosalina

Wow, this scene stuff is hard to keep up with but this is so awesome. Thank you!

edit: wow there really is so much new stuff. What is DSP1 and why do I need it now? It says it's for sound in homebrew CIAs but every homebrew I ever used had sound?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 24, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am having a lot of problems trying to get Luma updated because I want to try this Rosalina thing.

I am already on b9s, but Luma refuses to update for me and I am not sure why but I am assuming it's because there is a new version of b9s (I switched to b9s pretty much the day it came out).

So I am trying to follow a guide on how to update b9s to the newer version and it says I have to hold start while booting to enter the " Luma3DS chainloader menu". Except holding start while booting is doing nothing for me. The only button that does anything while booting is select where I can pick if I want to see the GBA boot screen and stuff.

Does anybody know what could be wrong? Somehow google isn't even giving me people with this issue.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Are you sure the SafeB9SInstaller payload is in the right place? Presumably the chainloader menu won't appear if there are no payloads for it to run.

It should be at /luma/payloads/SafeB9SInstaller.firm

Yep, I have these two in that folder:

edit: not sure if it solves any of the mystery but no matter which version of Luma updater I try it says I cannot update because I need to update boot9strap first, but I can't do that without being able to run SafeB9SInstaller which I can't get to run either.

I also noticed holding up (or Y, I forget) used to bring up godmode9 and that isn't working either.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 24, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Maybe you're running an old version of Luma from before they added the chainloader menu?

You could try doing it the old way: rename SafeB9SInstaller.firm to down_SafeB9SInstaller.firm and then try holding down during boot.

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Optional-features#firm-payload-chainloader

Yikes, don't mess with the NAND unless you absolutely have to. I'm pretty sure the SD cards boot.firm takes priority over the one on CTRNAND though so that shouldn't be a brick.

You're the best. This worked.

No clue why I had to do so much weird stuff compared to what the guide said in order to update but I am just glad it's finally fixed.

I really appreciate it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My Wii U is hacked and on 5.5.1. Can I update to 5.5.2 and not lose any hacks? My system keeps trying to update it and I just keep pulling the power cord.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up. I unplugged it as soon as I saw the update start. It did it without prompt. I kept my Wii U offline forever but connected it so I could run an ftp program so I don't have to keep taking SD cards in and out. And the ftp thing never worked anyway, even though I got the ip address right :shrug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caithness posted:

If you have Haxchi it will still work in 5.5.2

Just don't uninstall the DS game it's housed in.

So I can update to 5.5.2? Do I update "inside" rednand? Sorry if I am using the wrong terms, I still have old 3ds hacking terms in my head.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

Rednand is really useless because nobody can tell you how it works other than the people who made it. If it should break, here is how I sorted things out:

Just switch to sysnand and format your SD. Do CBHC by following Matt's guide. Overwrite any files by copying his starter kit. You can skip step 4.

Thank you.

Just so I got this straight, I have haxchi installed to a DS game. I am on 5.5.1. Should I upgrade to 5.5.2 and then do the CBHC guide?

I still don't know what the difference is between Mocha CFW and redNAND :saddowns:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

radNAND was an old way that involved having a parallel image of your internal memory on an SD card (which meant if you had a 32 gig Wii U you needed a 64-gig SD card with half of it being taken up by redNAND).

Thank you. How do I know if I have redNAND? I have the 8gb Wii U (glossy black shows too many fingerprints :colbert: ) and a 64GB SD card so that isn't going to help me figure it out.

I did this Haxchi thing so long ago that I don't remember what guide or steps I took to getting it running, other than installing Haxchi to Mario Kart DS

When I click on Haxchi, I have a bunch of folders that spell out "EMUNAND" that I probably did so I knew if I was in the original system menu or the hacked one. Not sure if this helps.

edit: instructions like this make me pull my hair out because I feel so stupid:

quote:

Instructions:
Note: Be sure you're not running Mocha CFW at this point!
1) Launch Haxchi to get into Homebrew Launcher and choose CBHC

How the hell can you launch Haxchi to get into the Homebrew channel without being in MochaCFW?? :psyduck:

edit 2: it seems as though MochaCFW *is* redNAND, nobody should be using MochaCFW/rednand, and everybody is just using CBHC which is not only a boot-up menu but its own CFW? Is that right? So I basically have to get rid of MochaCFW now somehow?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 31, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Actually you can ignore all my stupid questions. I think I got it all figured out. it's just so drat confusing when you already have a hacked system and now want to change the hacks. I really should just wait like a year before ever hacking any system.

But thanks to all that responded. It seems like I "removed" mochaCFW and my WiiU auto boots into cbhc CFW.

The only thing I wanna figure out was someone mentioned overclocking I think Wii mode? Which I am guessing is to help speed emulators up?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the PS4 has been hacked? I was considering buying a PS4 Pro because I want VR but I don't want to spend 2k on a computer and Occulus. Does anyone know if the hack works on the PS4 Pro? Or if units on shelves are even on 4.05?

Dr. Dos posted:

I'm under the impression you still need the DS VC game on older versions unless you want to launch the browser and run the exploit every single time you want to do homebrew?

You do. I was/am on 5.5.1 and still had to buy a DS game. (not complaining, just saying)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

The fixed 4.0.6 firmware shipped over a year ago so don't get your hopes up for finding an exploitable system on shelves.

oh haha, I had no idea it was that old.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. I wonder how many people this hack could possibly pertain to.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Yeah, the golden age of hacking Sony and Microsoft consoles seems to be over. They're too drat secure now :smith:

True but then BAM out of nowhere last month the PS3 got fully opened on all firmwares.

Patience my friend.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Even then, that hack only works on older PS3 models and only works at all because the PS3 didn't have anti-downgrading efuses built in. They won't make that mistake again, hell Nintendo are relatively bad at security but even they put efuses in the Switch.

Really? I thought I read that the hack for the PS3 slims was right around the corner

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I wouldn't worry about it too much. Music sales still thrive despite music piracy being a thing for 30 years. Box office still booms despite Kodi add ons. Everyone I knew IRL with a Wii had theirs hacked and I didn't hear about it destroying the system's sales. On Android all you have to do is allow APKs to be installed and you can get anything for free. The average joe doesn't wanna mess around with game piracy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I think it's also important to note that gaming has largely "solved" the issue with piracy, in that the pirated copy used to be more convenient than the non-pirated copy, and this took many forms (and still manifests itself on occasion with "online only" games which are only DRM checking, or copy protection which slows down the system). More to the point, you lost nothing with a pirated PSP game, there were no trophies/cheevos and very little online to worry about that would get your account banned. Hell, almost no PSP games had updates, either. Now most games actually use online functionality in multiple forms, even if it's just trophies, cloud saves and updates.

You also gained a lot by pirating on the psp. Mainly battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Right, not having to drive a motor to get your UMD spinning was a big power saver.

Now most games are pretty much as convenient as they'll get in their legal copies. Exceptions are few and mostly on PC due to copy protection overhead that goes away when a game is cracked.

Also a huge benefit was having every PSP game you could want installed on the system at once instead of carrying a case of UMDs around.

That being said, I buy nothing digital on the Switch. I only buy physical (only buying digital when I have no choice) because I don't trust Nintendo in 30 years to let me re-download anything. It might seem nuts but I'm playing 30 year old games these days.

"Piracy" leads to digital-only titles not being lost forever.